• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I really want this to end up great, seems like a mix of condemned and left 4 dead.

Enco said:
Things start to get fishy when most of the good reviews are released early and the not so good reviews are held back.

I hope the game does well though. Would be a shame to see them go down. They're not very well known and as zoner said, they've put 110% into marketing and making the game.

It really hasn't been getting glowing reviews though, it's been pretty middle ground if anything with B ratings for the most part at best. I personally feat more the games that right off the bat get nothing but pure glowing A ratings early on.

is this game actually scary? from the trailers it dosent look like it but that teamxbox review says otherwise.

might be inclined to try the game out if it does have horror elements

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Corky said:
I really want this to end up great, seems like a mix of condemned and left 4 dead.
They should just make a new Condemned. Oh wait, I just finished FEAR 3. Maybe they shouldn't.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Missed this earlier, I still need to see Burial Ground! :)

I was surprised... plus the whole dwarf playing a kid who is obsessed with his mother thing.....

Zombie Holocaust is another good one... at least I remember liking it even though it was a Zombi rip off for the most part.

Enco

BattleMonkey said:
It really hasn't been getting glowing reviews though, it's been pretty middle ground if anything with B ratings for the most part at best. I personally feat more the games that right off the bat get nothing but pure glowing A ratings early on.
I can see where you're coming from.

I was just being cynical :p The game does look like fun with two or more players. I also like how it's long. Shame about the god awful voice acting. That isn't game breaking for me though.

wilflare

HKnightz said:
Sorry if it's been addressed before, but would there be any incentive to play through the game after you've beaten it?

unless i mixed up with another game, i recall there's New Game+

Enco

HKnightz said:
Sorry if it's been addressed before, but would there be any incentive to play through the game after you've beaten it?
Well I believe there's game+ where you get to carry over all your equipment and you get to face tougher zombies.

That's about it though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, if I get this to play with my brother, will I get Dungeon Siege'd?

IE does all my stuff carry over from my game to his game and then back to my game or am I just stuck with whatever the computer decides based on his level?

eshwaaz

zoner said:
They should just make a new Condemned. Oh wait, I just finished FEAR 3. Maybe they shouldn't.
Don't blame Condemned developer Monolith for the painful disappointment that is FEAR 3 - Day 1 Studios developed that one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
eshwaaz said:
Don't blame Condemned developer Monolith for the painful disappointment that is FEAR 3 - Day 1 Studios developed that one.
Really? I thought the whole point of FEAR 2 being different characters, for the most part, was because it was someone else?

Stitch

Gold Member
I know some of the movies I'm watching today! (Yes and the gag is most of those are no the original titles)
http://www.scifi-movies.com/images/data/0003030/affiche3.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/23i7xoh.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/bgo007.jpg

Ah good idea, gonna watch some zombie movies today.

Not sure which ones... maybe Zombi 3 :p aannnd something else.
I've watched Zombi 2 and Dawn of the Dead (extended mall hours cut, google it) already a few weeks ago and yesterday I've watched Fido.

BTW. I love how Mattei stole scenes from a documentary and put them in Hell of the living Dead to make it look like they are in Africa haha. They were actually in the woods outside of Barcelona.

Stitch said:
BTW. I love how Mattei stole scenes from a documentary and put them in Hell of the living Dead to make it look like they are in Africa haha. They were actually in the woods outside of Barcelona.

Also stole bits of soundtrack from Dawn of the Dead

eshwaaz

zoner said:
Really? I thought the whole point of FEAR 2 being different characters, for the most part, was because it was someone else?
FEAR 1 and 2 were Monolith, FEAR 3 is Day 1. What a bummer that game is.

Back on topic - if anyone is interested in Dead Island but doesn't want to commit to $60, K-Mart is offering a $20 gaming coupon with purchase this week (along with Resistance 3, and $15 coupons for Space Marine and Driver).

BattleMonkey said:
I was surprised... plus the whole dwarf playing a kid who is obsessed with his mother thing.....

Zombie Holocaust is another good one... at least I remember liking it even though it was a Zombi rip off for the most part.

Yeah, it's one of the reason I want to check it out. You know I think I might have it in the second Shriek Show Zombie pack. I know I got the Cannibal one, but I'm not sure about the Zombie one. Hmm...this calls for some investigatory action!

Stitch said:
Ah good idea, gonna watch some zombie movies today.

Not sure which ones... maybe Zombi 3 :p aannnd something else.
I've watched Zombi 2 and Dawn of the Dead (extended mall hours cut, google it) already a few weeks ago and yesterday I've watched Fido.

Mattei was a master at stealing shit. Hell, I have a movie of his that steals footage from Rambo First Blood Part II and left in Sly! Something from Crimson Tide leaving in Viggo M.

The man remade SCENE FOR SCENE Aliens TWICE!!!

RIP Big M! He may have made shit movies (and he was the first to admit it), but damn a lot of them were FUN!
bruno_mattei.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Alright, I went ahead and ordered the PS3 version new from Gamefly. I know the PS3 version is supposed to have more pop-in and screen tearing, but I don't care. I have watched a good bit of PS3 footage and it looks fine to me.

Anyway, no more buying for me this year. I have Space Marine coming tomorrow, Dead Island should be here in a few days and Dark Souls and Skyrim are already bought. Everything else is going to be a rental... or so I keep telling myself anyway, lol.

SalomonA

zoner said:
I bet it would hurt them bad. They're not exactly a well known publisher, and they've been marketing the hell out of this on all the big sites. Gamestop's gotten tons of ads, so has Joystiq, IGN, etc. I don't know what it's like in Europe, but their biggest game over here would be like... Risen.

Yeah I'm from Europe and they aren't any bigger here. Risen was good, and it's probably the most famous game they've done. I suppose Dead Island will become bigger since it's kinda hyped (1# on Steam etc.)

Oh and I would love to see some PC gameplay. I'm worried about this playing smooth or not, so I would very much appreciate some gameplay from you US players when it's released :)

Twinduct

ironcreed said:
Alright, I went ahead and ordered the PS3 version new from Gamefly. I know the PS3 version is supposed to have more pop-in and screen tearing, but I don't care. I have watched a good bit of PS3 footage and it looks fine to me.

Anyway, no more buying for me this year. I have Space Marine coming tomorrow, Dead Island should be here in a few days and Dark Souls and Skyrim are already bought. Everything else is going to be a rental... or so I keep telling myself anyway, lol.

*cough* 3 more months *cough* :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
well since my cousins not getting this at launch guess i'll wait for a bigger price drop on this since i got no one to play co op with lol.

Nelo Ice said:
well since my cousins not getting this at launch guess i'll wait for a bigger price drop on this since i got no one to play co op with lol.
Console or PC?

For PC I'm going to suggest using Mumble I had a really good experience with it playing BFBC 2 PC with other Gaffers.

ironcreed

Banned
Twinduct said:
*cough* 3 more months *cough* :p

LOL, I'll probably end up buying at least a couple more before it is over, but I really need to try and restrain myself this year. I joined Gamefly for a reason, but sometimes you just want to own and/or support certain titles, you know?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Console or PC?

For PC I'm going to suggest using Mumble I had a really good experience with it playing BFBC 2 PC with other Gaffers.

PC if i can find some gaffers to play with id probably get it off gmg since atm only games i ever play co op with are with my cousin since all my other friends/family are on 360.

Nelo Ice said:
PC if i can find some gaffers to play with id probably get it off gmg since atm only games i ever play co op with are with my cousin since all my other friends/family are on 360.

Well I'm down for PC version.

EDIT:
For me on Bruno Mattei be sure to ask your local librarian or look on youtube!

Bruno Mattei's scene for remake of Aliens!
Shocking Dark aka Terminator 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS3xgakrHcQ
Zombies: The Beginning (the second remake Mattei did of Alien's, but with Zombies!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQY0qNp-Y3w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PMo...eature=related
Rats Night of Terror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzoTa...eature=related
ROBOWAR!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NOa8WfrKo

Twinduct

ironcreed said:
LOL, I'll probably end up buying at least a couple more before it is over, but I really need to try and restrain myself this year. I joined Gamefly for a reason, but sometimes you just want to own and/or support certain titles, you know?

Heh yeah. This holiday season is completely crazy! I've already pre-ordered everything major, but stuff like Dead island keeps popping up (not to mention the monthly indie titles heh).

Just paying off my credit card this month is completely testing my self-control lol.

Edit: Btw guys if the latency aint too bad (from my side that is) then I'm also game for co-op!

The M.O.B

seady said:
How is the story in this game?
Hope it at least live up to 50% from the first trailer.

Story is pure cheese, it's nothing emotional or deep like the first trailer.

If you care a lot about story then you will probably hate the story in this game.

Man, I'm really looking forward to this now. Sucks to be in europe and have to wait three days more than you US people.

And btw, If anyone who has not bought Dead Island from GMG yet and want a referal code, or need help with getting an account that pays in USD, send me a PM and I'll help out.

anddo0

Went ahead and got the PCversion from GmG.

It's gonna be a great week. Warhammer 40k and Dead Island! Coming from the console gaming side. It feels good paying a total amount of $59 for two brand new releases. No turning back for me (save exclusives).

The M.O.B said:
Story is pure cheese, it's nothing emotional or deep like the first trailer.

If you care a lot about story then you will probably hate the story in this game.

I bought the game despite that, hoping the the gameplay would be able to overwhelm my concerns about the lack of a story. I think the fact the island is a huge and not just a series of maps say like L4D helps out a bit.

Truthfully the more I think about it and all the Italian Zombie films I like, those movies are more atmosphere and immersion than story details.

That said I would have liked it if you can find docs or say phones (perhaps if you play a former British PI you can read the messages on them ;)).

Max said:

Nice!

Gritesh

anddo0 said:
Went ahead and got the PCversion from GmG.

It's gonna be a great week. Warhammer 40k and Dead Island! Coming from the console gaming side. It feels good paying a total amount of $59 for two brand new releases. No turning back for me (save exclusives).

This is why I love PC gaming, albeit there is no trade in opportunity, but at like half the price of console gaming, and more often then not a better gaming experience, it makes it worth every penny i spend on keeping my computer upgraded!

Artadius

As of 3:06 PM my time (Central US), it says unlocks in about 8 hours. Pretty sure I've heard that the game unlocks at midnight. Does that mean it unlocks midnight user time or midnight eastern?

Hopefully not midnight Valve Standard Time (tomorrow afternoon after Gabe wakes up).

Artadius said:
As of 3:06 PM my time (Central US), it says unlocks in about 8 hours. Pretty sure I've heard that the game unlocks at midnight. Does that mean it unlocks midnight user time or midnight eastern?

Hopefully not midnight Valve Standard Time (tomorrow afternoon after Gabe wakes up).

That's odd I was under the impression it would be a normal (and annoying) 12AM PST unlock.

EDIT: Huh it says 8 hours for me, which would be at 12AM EST!

Nice!

The M.O.B

Artadius said:

It unlocks midnight EST for North America.

Top Bottom