• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

MYeager

I wonder if that's just with the PS3 version or something, at E3 the demo was running on 360s and I didn't notice any screen tearing then.

Enco

Music is great.

Just need to see a review. I'm not forking out the cash until I get some good opinions.

MYeager said:
I wonder if that's just with the PS3 version or something, at E3 the demo was running on 360s and I didn't notice any screen tearing then.

PS3 version is just the worst. im seeing it on PC/360 too though.

seeing it this close to release worries me. console games rarely get patches that fix major graphics flaws like this. only stuff that breaks the game, really. :\

.la1n

Commanche Raisin Toast said:

seeing it this close to release worries me. console games rarely get patches that fix major graphics flaws like this. only stuff that breaks the game, really. :\

Darksiders is the only thing that springs to mind.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'll probably just get the PC version. I have enough to play on the PS3 as it is. Hopefully there will be a demo or something.

MYeager

Commanche Raisin Toast said:

Crap, that sucks. I'm really looking forward to the game but screen tearing really bugs me for some reason, especially with FP games. Hmm.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting it early too. Can't wait. The combat looks repetitive like I said before but the concept is too good to pass up.

MRORANGE

Poker360 said:
I found a review of Dead Island

Official Playstation Magazine - Italy.

Review Score: 8.5

Review Summary (Google translate):

In conclusion, the work done by the team turns out to be good, able to entertain fans of the FPS genre is that of RPGs. Although note the desire to create an innovative game Techland and long-lived, are still some aspects in which he would have done more. We remain convinced that the title still manages to carve a good niche in the market thanks to the interesting ideas that he proposes.

thanks for the translation will add to the OP

8.5 is a pretty good score :)

MjFrancis

From what I've played and seen, I'm taking the plunge. I'll preorder this afternoon. At the very least I don't believe I will be burned on this one.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
what is with these "2 player" local co-op modes only... this and left 4 dead would have been a million times with 4p local co-op.

Enco

That review score is pretty good.

I'll wait for a bigger site to review it and then I'll take the plunge (possibly).

legbone

Seanspeed said:
First reviews tend to be like 1/1.5 points higher than average.

I hope that isn't the case with Dead Island....

even if it is that's cool. that means it will average 7 or 7.5. that's perfectly acceptable in my book. as long as it isn't catching 4's and 5's i'm happy.

LProtag

I'm teetering on the edge with this one still. I'd really like to know more about the skill system and how online co-op works.

Luthos

Enco said:
I'm guessing that this game will get an average of 7/10 (at best). Pretty darn sure about this.

There's a lot of gameplay here.

:lol at around 40 seconds.
That might of been more interesting had the guy done more than just repeatedly kick the zombies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
legbone said:
i was really hoping we would get a prerelease demo this week. doesn't look like it's going to happen.

It's too bad since a quality demo would be all it takes to sell me on this game. As it stands I'm not gonna take a chance on it.

On a side note, does anyone know how long the GMG deal goes for? At $30 I have a lot less to lose but I'm still gonna wait until read some impressions.

wilflare

Snuggler said:
It's too bad since a quality demo would be all it takes to sell me on this game. As it stands I'm not gonna take a chance on it.

On a side note, does anyone know how long the GMG deal goes for? At $30 I have a lot less to lose but I'm still gonna wait until read some impressions.

the 15% preorder discount and 20% discount coupon will probably end once the game is released
they did that with Deus Ex: HR

garath

Watching those gameplay videos, this looks AT LEAST as interesting as Dead Rising. Throw in co-op and some decent looking environments and I'm sold.

eh, those videos aren't so great. it's like there is a disconnect between what you are doing and how the zombies are reacting to it. kick kick kick and it's like the kicks aren't really even connecting, but the zombie is acting randomly to it. i'll probably pass for now

Flunkie said:
The videos aren't as bad as some of you guys are making them out to be..

I agree, the game looks good. It's a shame, however, that the person playing it has no idea what they're doing.

legbone

i like the fact that there are crits. i didn't know that until seeing the videos. and the screams of the dying zombies are hilarious. this game seems to have a very sly sense of humor going on. that or it is totally unintentional. either way, it's hilarious.

Phonomezer said:
Oh man I had to stop watching, those accents are fucking abysmal.

It really is the worst part of the game it seems. Dumb characters and horrible voice acting. This is like worse than the original resident evil. At least that had cheese and charm. This is just flat and boring.

Still getting it though for better or for worse. I love zombies and me not having anything really to play are big factors though.

Artadius

Yeah, the guy playing seems pretty bad lol... not really focusing much on head attacks and his talent choices look completely random. Also seems like he's cheesing the game by using kicks alot to save on weapon quality.

Fuck that, I'm going in with weapons blazing. If you never ever use the rare guns or wear down the good equipment, the stuff just turns into http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

Oh yeah, I just linked to TVTropes. Click at your own risk.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm avoiding long gameplay videos. Have seen 3 trailers and that's it. Is the "focus on melee, guns are rare" thing true at all?

Thanks.

legbone

Frankfurt said:
I'm avoiding long gameplay videos. Have seen 3 trailers and that's it. Is the "focus on melee, guns are rare" thing true at all?

Thanks.

yes, it's true. a developer on the qore interview (good watch if you have qore, sold me on this game) stated "guns are rare on the island". they wanted to reward creative construction of unique items out of parts you find by looting stuff and searching around. it's definitely got a melee focus from what i have heard and read from the developers.

Frankfurt said:

Thanks.

Seems that way so far, but all the footage seems to be from the first hour or two of the game.

Top Bottom