• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Weenerz

Banned
Bought it from GMG yesterday, can't wait for some FPS co-op with bros. This and Serious Sam 3 BFE will be co-op goodness for the PC.

MRORANGE

macfoshizzle said:
im a sucker for open world games.. how big is the map? can you explore the entire map?

not sure, hope there's a scale comparison with dead island and other game worlds are, would be pretty cool.

The M.O.B

A couple tidbits from one of the dudes who has it.

- No Day/Night cycle, but rain does come along periodically.
- Both human and zombie bosses
- In order to get to the other islands, you have to first complete the story missions.
- You can go into water, but character can't swim in it, just stand in it.
- The island is chopped up into sections kind of like Borderlands. Resort, City, etc.

Rikyfree

I need to renew my gamefly sub or just wait for a price drop. Not sure if I want to own this or just play the s*** out of it and be done. I'm so torn! Zombies are my favorite horror monsters! I went as a zombie slayer for halloween. Covered in blood, with my airsoft M4 carbine that had skulls on the side as a tally for Zachs I've wasted.

The M.O.B said:
A couple tidbits from one of the dudes who has it.

- No Day/Night cycle, but rain does come along periodically.
- Both human and zombie bosses
- In order to get to the other islands, you have to first complete the story missions.
- You can go into water, but character can't swim in it, just stand in it.
- The island is chopped up into sections kind of like Borderlands. Resort, City, etc.

Sweet. I know it seems like an obvious answer, but does anyone know when playing co-op you can ride in the same vehicle together, or perhaps on the back of a pick up truck even? I've not seen any videos showing that at all and wonderinf the effect it would have one a four player co-op game.

Xanathus

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Sweet. I know it seems like an obvious answer, but does anyone know when playing co-op you can ride in the same vehicle together, or perhaps on the back of a pick up truck even? I've not seen any videos showing that at all and wonderinf the effect it would have one a four player co-op game.
There hasn't been a video showing co-op but I've seen in the youtube footage that rescued survivors can get in the same vehicle as the player and there are icons on vehicles like trucks which show up to 4 places to get in (driver, shotgun seat, and two on the flat bed) so you probably are able to ride vehicles together.

Xanathus said:
There hasn't been a video showing co-op but I've seen in the youtube footage that rescued survivors can get in the same vehicle as the player and there are icons on vehicles like trucks which show up to 4 places to get in (driver, shotgun seat, and two on the flat bed) so you probably are able to ride vehicles together.

Very good to know. I can see some fun, and chaotic moments with a truck full of people and zombies in chase. :)

Helveck

Neo Member
I've been excited for this game for a while... But also very concerned that I've been hyping it up a bit too much on my own, which will undoubtedly lead to disappointment. Regardless, I'll likely still end up playing it, but will I love it or hate it? As I said, I am concerned.

Me too Helveck. But with four players even if everything goes wrong Dead Island remains a fun game! :)

Of course the production value cannot reach the level of a AAA titles, but this game can be a good opportunity for the developer and the producer to become an interesting player in this market

Hmm, after watching the release trailer for the first time... hype suddenly increased ten-fold. Game actually looks really, really good. A Fallout with Zombies in a nice bright tropical setting sounds awesome. I think I'm gonna buy this.

My only concern is that I really have no friends that play with me (Steam). I've got a bunch of people added to my list but nobody ever plays or messages or anything. I hope the match-making is good.

derFeef

Heavy said:
Hmm, after watching the release trailer for the first time... hype suddenly increased ten-fold. Game actually looks really, really good. A Fallout with Zombies in a nice bright tropical setting sounds awesome. I think I'm gonna buy this.

My only concern is that I really have no friends that play with me (Steam). I've got a bunch of people added to my list but nobody ever plays or messages or anything. I hope the match-making is good.
We can play, battle brother!

Drewfonse

DMPrince said:
there are quests too? i don't care if they are shit it's so good lol.

Apparently lots of side quests, it's a 25-35 hour game. Suddenly becoming more interesting to me. Definitely picking up Resistance 3 on 9/6, and it'll be between Dead Island and Warhammer for the other purchase. Is it too much to ask for the game releases to be staggered a little better? yeeeesh.

Console version bargains?

Ken

Any alternate costumes for the characters? Not a fan of the character designs but my friend seems to want to pick this up, so being able to change the characters' appearances might tip it to a purchase for me.

So this is a Steamworks game right? Doesn't show up in Steam in Germany, but that is hardly surprising given the violence shown so far.

I wonder if I can just pick up the PEGI version and play it uncut - since there does not seem to be a cut version for Germany.

Ledsen

Is the coop instant drop in drop out, and how does it handle campaign and mission progress between players?

are there skill trees like borderlands? any choice or just auto at level up?

I have this game pre-ordered anyway, at amazon for the art book. I love zombie games, Action RPG's, First Person melee combat (eg condemned) and colorful tropical environments. Its like this game was tailored for me!

Ok question, someone on this page talked about "can"t wait for Monday", but the game comes out in the US on September the 6th, right?!

On GMG, it shows September 9th though.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Ok question, someone on this page talked about "can"t wait for Monday", but the game comes out in the US on September the 6th, right?!

On GMG, it shows September 9th though.

6th for US, 9th everywhere else.

Not sure why it's showing the 9th on GMG though.

In Europe the street day is 9th september. Claveridea, look the preview of the review made by IGN uk and you can have a very short look of the skill tree

Flunkie

Banned
Phonomezer said:
6th for US, 9th everywhere else.

Not sure why it's showing the 9th on GMG though.
GMG is based in Europe, which would fall under "everywhere else."

Ah, but it shows up as 6th for my page. Maybe the site's release dates are based on your location.

ah nice there are skill trees and a different one for each class

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/11/dead-island-the-first-20-minutes-of-gameplay-video/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29

man cannot wait for this game

first deus ex and now dead island, awesome time for being a pc gamer. I love the look of this game. while waiting for this game, I can use melee weapons in my new vegas play through. ghouls are like zombies...

cleveridea said:
ah nice there are skill trees and a different one for each class

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/11/dead-island-the-first-20-minutes-of-gameplay-video/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29

man cannot wait for this game

first deus ex and now dead island, awesome time for being a pc gamer. I love the look of this game. while waiting for this game, I can use melee weapons in my new vegas play through. ghouls are like zombies...
there are classes? amazing lol.
EDIT: oh. classes is characters. but it's good they got different skills tree.

DMPrince said:
there are classes? amazing lol.
EDIT: oh. classes is characters. but it's good they got different skills tree.

yeah classes would have been better, don't like either of the male characters both sound like arrogant jackasses. but like borderlands its more about the gameplay so don't really care.

BTW A bit of story on them here

http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/blog.php?page=2

which links to digital comic (press right arrow to move from pane to pane)

http://marvel.com/digitalcomics/view_white.htm?iid=22757

CAW

I sent the following PM to 'chupacaubrey', a Deepsilver representative on dead-island.com forums.

Quick question for ya. Do you know if the Steam version will have pre-loading available and the possibility of a midnight release? Just curious because afaik, things like that are controlled by the publisher.

Thanks!

Her response:

Preloading should be available today. As far as midnight release, they are actually retailer determined and in this case I am not sure if Valve is doing one on Steam.

edit: apparently the preloading confirmation was already posted on the official DI twitter.

kaskade

I'm wondering how it'll turn out. It looks like it could be awesome, but the combat looks like it could be clunky. I don't know, I was iffy on Deus Ex and that turned out amazingly well. I'm hoping for the best. Zombies are awesome.

CAW said:
I sent the following PM to 'chupacaubrey', a Deepsilver representative on dead-island.com forums.

Her response:

edit: apparently the preloading confirmation was already posted on the official DI twitter.
i hope gmg reads this and give out keys early again!

Stitch

Gold Member
posted on FB
Green Man Gaming

I'm hoping to get the keys sent out tomorrow, but it relies on getting a new piece of code out tomorrow. If not, everyone should have their keys by Monday next week. /Rob

garath

CAW said:

Her response:

If the game is steamworks then it'll probably have a midnight release (as you need steam to even play retail versions), otherwise it'll likely unlock normal steam time which is noon to 3pm EST

Top Bottom