• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

GeoramA

highluxury said:
So, stupid question... but is there a story?
Yep and it's awesome IMO. Like Revolutionary pointed out, the cut scenes are done in an old-school Twisted Metal comic type style.

Ricker

This game is going to be hard,even on normal...died about 4 times just in the first level :lol )playing solo)....loving it though,had to crank up the brightness on my TV though...and those leaderboards are insane,seeing the numbers of zombie kills Live rolling like that is awesome hehe...go Canada :p

No45

It'll be interesting to hear if the current brightness is intended or not. Brad said on the GB QL that he had to crank it up a little too. If it's as intended, I'll leave it at default.

Psykotik

yeah the game is pretty dark. i had to max out the gamma in the options just to be able to see.

didn't mess around with my TV's brightness though. just the in game gamma.

todahawk

On the third area, just played for a bit last night. I was not expecting the armor configuration options and weapon and item upgrade paths. Nice, allows for different play styles- heavy armor, quicker movement.

i fully maxed out the rifle first. For each weapon/item i tend to focus on upgrading the firepower first, then rate of fire and clip size.

I'm interested but I'm not sure if this is the game for me. It looks like the kind of game that flirts with complete frustration and I get frustrated enough when I'm not trying to relax.

Is it that difficult?

The fact that I read some of the levels are quite long and exhausting, and...

"- Can’t quit mid-game without having to start over."

Is kind of a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to pick up and play without making a time commitment. Being married and living in a condo with only one TV and living area, I find myself saying "Yeah... I just have to get someplace I can save...." a lot. I'd prefer to be able to just leave the game and start it up at the last checkpoint later when there isn't somebody behind my shoulder asking me if I'm done yet.

todahawk

No45 said:
This is what I'm going to do I think, it make sense that your fallback weapon is as powerful as it can be.

Yup, especially when you discover that your new weapons have limited ammo. I still do firepower first... and i love how the default rifle can go through multiple z's, especially with the charged shot.

DireStr8s

just finished the 3rd level(normal). honk!

I love the gameplay, setting, UI, music & overall sound design. runs beautifully as well.

far as difficulty goes i've yet to die. not because i'm particularly great at it, i'm just taking it it slow & steady for my 1st playthrough, using the environments to my advantage, setting traps @ bottlenecks, etc.

the game has me hooked & i'll def. be shooting for the plat.

Quick question, I just played a little bit yesterday and only finished the first chapter, do get to keep your unlocks/upgrades across new games/difficulties, online, coop etc? or you have to start from scratch every new game?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Is it that difficult?

I think the game is plenty manageable on normal. Weapon upgrades help a ton, obviously, and running right as you're about to get hit is key. A competent partner helps a ton too, of course. If you need to stop constantly it might be a problem though, some of the latter stages are a bit long.

Anyway, I played pretty late into the night with a friend and he had to bail, so I stopped at the eighth stage. Really great game. I have some minor complaints (melee feeling off), but it's all good. Everything else is top notch.

My PSN handle is in my profile and I play evenings / nights on Pacific time, if anybody's up for games. I'll be playing Dead Nation for awhile. Gonna go for dat plat.

alterno69

Banned
PLayed the first two levels yesterday, game is AWESOME, the atmosphere is great. Using the environment to your advantage/disadvantage is great lol

shwimpy

The Omega Man said:
Quick question, I just played a little bit yesterday and only finished the first chapter, do get to keep your unlocks/upgrades across new games/difficulties, online, coop etc? or you have to start from scratch every new game?

Pretty sure you keep them. In the GB Quicklook, Brad was able to use the armor he acquired in the single player during the co-op campaign. Not sure if difficulty matters though.

Upgrading the rifle is the best thing to do. It's especially handy against all the heavy monsters. I thought the rocket launcher would be great for taking them out but the rifle did a much better job.

You really need a crowd control weapon later on though. The flamethrower worked best for me. It slows down and weakens enemies
(except firefighter zombies)
in order to wipe them out in a more controlled manner.

The rifle loses its use a bit in the second part of the game. There are just too many enemies to plow through. Mines are wonderful to lure them and repeatedly take a chunk out of their numbers. I found out that the blade canon can be very useful when fully upgraded. Never could make the electrogun work for me though.

todahawk

quick question.

I noticed that when I finished a section/level and get the stats page that if I hit X to continue it tells me I'll lose my multiplier and progress. So I hit O and get the main menu and select single player, it loads and I have my multiplier.

Does hitting X do the same thing? If I just continue between levels I shouldn't lose my multiplier, right?

Mesijs

Revolutionary said:
Level 7 crescendo OH MY GOD
sooo bad. Really Housemarque? You thought it would be fun to have to destroy the walls holding the FOUR summoning zombies and kill them WHILE fighting off the hundreds of summoned zombies and waves of boomers and blade-arm things (Protip: Flares do not work on them :|), in a small area with NO ENVIRONMENTAL HELP WHATSOEVER?
Maybe this particular crescendo is better with a partner but holy fuck do I need a good 5 joints after completing that shit in singleplayer.

Yeah totally agree... by far the most difficult and frustrating part of the game. I've NO IDEA how that would be manageable beyond normal...

swoon

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm interested but I'm not sure if this is the game for me. It looks like the kind of game that flirts with complete frustration and I get frustrated enough when I'm not trying to relax.

Is it that difficult?

The fact that I read some of the levels are quite long and exhausting, and...

"- Can’t quit mid-game without having to start over."

Is kind of a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to pick up and play without making a time commitment. Being married and living in a condo with only one TV and living area, I find myself saying "Yeah... I just have to get someplace I can save...." a lot. I'd prefer to be able to just leave the game and start it up at the last checkpoint later when there isn't somebody behind my shoulder asking me if I'm done yet.

most of the levels are less than 30 mins long. you aren't losing much effort.

BeeDog

Finished the first two levels, fun game! Fully upgraded the rifle so far (I'm a sucker for infinite-ammo weapons), and have tons of money left over. Should I invest in the SMG or the shotgun, or save my money for something better?

The controls are actually easy to get used to (R3 for Reload). but i'm not the gamer that have both fingers on the R1/R2, L1/L2 so I guess i'll need to map the buttons to the way I want.

Shadow780 said:
Damn, lost all progress at the end of the mission with a random quit on me. :(

Definitely needs to play with a friend.

Yuk, hate when this happens, been trying to convince anyone of my friends to buy the game but had little to no joy, guess im goin solo for a while.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I experimented a lot with different controls but I eventually when back to the default since all of my fingers can naturally rest on the sticks and the shoulder buttons. The only change is that I'm using square for reload, which is way better than pushing in the R3 button.

kassatsu

Banned
The Omega Man said:
Only the armor you find.

BeeDog said:
Finished the first two levels, fun game! Fully upgraded the rifle so far (I'm a sucker for infinite-ammo weapons), and have tons of money left over. Should I invest in the SMG or the shotgun, or save my money for something better?
Big fan of the SMG. Great for mowing down tons of dudes in short bursts. Haven't tried the shottie yet though.

boingball

Germany is Number 4 in the rankings but the game is not even sold in Germany. Seems a lot of Germans are buying in the US Store or elsewhere.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CozMick said:
It's a known issue and is being patched, along with voice chat ;)

Can't believe that friend list bug is still out there.

Oh well.

*deletes last friend on the list*

No45

boingball said:
Germany is Number 4 in the rankings but the game is not even sold in Germany. Seems a lot of Germans are buying in the US Store or elsewhere.
Interesting, so do we know how they're tracking regions? IP addresses?

I really love the Menu and how you can check every country's ranking and stats. There's a SINGLE survivor in Kuwait fighting the good fight. :lol

Revolutionary said:
I really love the Menu and how you can check every country's ranking and stats. There's a SINGLE survivor in Kuwait fighting the good fight. :lol

So how does he do Co op? Poor guy

.la1n

Absolutely loving this game, my only qualm is the same as most reviews - sometimes it's difficult to see a few stray zombies coming up from behind which can turn into some cheap hits.

Who cares though, I'm having a blast.

see5harp

Have to disagree about the story. It's by far the weakest part of the entire package for me. I also find the menu and presentation generic. Aside from that, the game is great. It's a solid buy at $15 and the online works pretty decent as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom