• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

boingball

No45 said:
Interesting, so do we know how they're tracking regions? IP addresses?

The country your account is linked too. I am counting for Germany because my account was created on the german store, but I live in New Zealand (and bought Dead Nation in the US Store:lol ).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It sucks that me, my brother and many of my friends are killing zombies in the name of the US.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Only played single player so far... but the game is awesome.

It gets pretty tense when zombies start pouring in from all angles and your trying to reload,

I like the strategy involved with the cars and flares, trying to take out big groups of zombies.
Throw flare towards car, blow up car.

Also UK is coming for Canada!

Just realized Housemarque fucked up on the numbering of their Genocidist trophy. They have 53,596... but so does Dead Rising 2, which came out before this. Fail. You guys had a few months to change one number.. tsk tsk!

zon

I've been playing it a bit now and I have to say I like it. It feels like the old Super Smash TV at times.

Grisby

This might have been asked but can you take your single player character into online co-op and still keep all the xp, etc? Also, would doing so keep my solo game save intact?

see5harp

Grisby said:
This might have been asked but can you take your single player character into online co-op and still keep all the xp, etc? Also, would doing so keep my solo game save intact?

No, they are separate save files. The armor unlocks carry over to both modes, however.

teekun

boingball said:
The country your account is linked too. I am counting for Germany because my account was created on the german store, but I live in New Zealand (and bought Dead Nation in the US Store:lol ).

Yeah, I'm playing on a US account from Australia and I bought the game on the Australian store, but it's marks me as American. GT5 does the same thing.

gentlemanfinn

Neo Member
wow, I have been playing nonstop since I downloaded it about six hours ago. My head's all dizzy now. Anyway I like it a lot. Don't know what the reviewers about with the "it's to dark" I just upped the gamma and when the lights go out, you are supposed to find a spot with light which adds to the strategy.

To bad Denmark keeps descending on the leader boards. (I'm #3 in Denmark as of now:D)

see5harp said:
It's a lot like Left 4 Dead in that way. Sometimes I find the levels are too long and discourage jumping in for a quick game. I personally think they should have included a non campaign mode for straight score challenge with increasing waves of difficulty. I'm sure they can add something like that, but I hope they don't try and charge like they did with Super Stardust HD.
DLC no doubt.

anddo0

I just wasted the last 40-50 minutes because I got stuck in the environment. :/ It turns out the end of the level was less than 20 feet away. I'm pretty pissed I had to replay the entire level because of some stupid glitch. I couldn't commit suicide (no nades) there is no restart at the last checkpoint option. So, I had to quit.

Another issue I have with this game is zombie spawn points (kinda cheap, may possibly lead to cheap deaths). Other than that I'm enjoying the game. Not as much as I expected, but it's still worth the 15 bucks.

Cruzader

Banned
anddo0 said:
I just wasted the last 40-50 minutes because I got stuck in the environment. :/ It turns out the end of the level was less than 20 feet away. I'm pretty pissed I had to replay the entire level because of some stupid glitch. I couldn't commit suicide (no nades) there is no restart at the last checkpoint option. So, I had to quit.

Another issue I have with this game is zombie spawn points (kinda cheap, may possibly lead to cheap deaths). Other than that I'm enjoying the game. Not as much as I expected, but it's still worth the 15 bucks.
What the fuck!!!!! I just got stuck too!!!!! I'm so far into level 4 with the building rooftops!!! Fuck man spent like 30 min on this level already and I get stuck on what appear a set up stairs that go down. I'm rear a crashed plane on fire!

This is why I wish these game had a gimped jump button incase you get stuck on weird ass places. About to quit and lose my multiplier, gametime and progress.

Fuck this game.

Corto

I just did 4 coop online missions and it was a complete blast! Zero lag and by the end of it I had a sore right index finger from all the shooting... :lol At the beginning I had some trouble discerning my character on the screen in more action packed situations but somehow it became more easy the more I played. I just hope that I can start from the same spot whenever I get to play the game again.

alterno69

Banned
Im addicted to this game. Had to take a break at level seven cause i was too tense, that damn multiplier from hell. This is so far one of my GOTY, truly awesome how balanced it is. I'd give it a 9.5 only cause some zombies seem to get stuck on you and no voice chat. It's like the perfect arcade game for me, thumbs up housemarque

BTW i don't get the no variety complaint, you have streets, parks, rooftops, cemeteries and who knows what else.

Mako_Drug

Played the first chapter with the gf and I'm really liking it. Great score and the atmosphere works. The country leaderboards are a really nice touch. Can't wait to jump back into some co-op.

Madman

Revolutionary said:
Just realized Housemarque fucked up on the numbering of their Genocidist trophy. They have 53,596... but so does Dead Rising 2, which came out before this. Fail. You guys had a few months to change one number.. tsk tsk!
Dead Rising 1 and Left 4 Dead used the same number IIRC.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TrAcEr_x90 said:
this has four player co op? i thought i twas just two

It's two. Corto meant to say he did 4 missions, in coop.

BTW, completed this game on Normal and didn't unlock higher difficulties. I need to reply it at Grim now :/ (hate this shit)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Madman said:
Dead Rising 1 and Left 4 Dead used the same number IIRC.

No, Left 4 Dead one-upped Dead Rising 1's.

BTW, completed this game on Normal and didn't unlock higher difficulties. I need to reply it at Grim now :/ (hate this shit)

At least you have the gear for it. I'm slowly making my way through Grim as my first playthrough and it can be brutal at times.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheSeks said:
At least you have the gear for it. I'm slowly making my way through Grim as my first playthrough and it can be brutal at times.

Well, part of the gear. Only armor stuff.

see5harp

TheSeks said:
No, Left 4 Dead one-upped Dead Rising 1's.

Honestly, the gear besides your speed doesn't seem to offer much at the higher difficulties. The only thing that seems to change from Normal to Grim is that certain enemies take far more bullets. I restarted and yes, the shotty IS worthless at the start. Once you start using the flares and you get your Shotty to around halfway in power and rate of fire, it is almost required use for the middle levels on Grim.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, I was upgrading the SMG after maxing the default assault rifle. The shotgun is good? I thought it was kinda shitty. And I haven't bought a flame thrower.

Mines are godly, however. I need to get the detonations to 6 and then pathfind the zombies to their doom.

see5harp

TheSeks said:
Eh, I was upgrading the SMG after maxing the default assault rifle. The shotgun is good? I thought it was kinda shitty. And I haven't bought a flame thrower.

Mines are godly, however. I need to get the detonations to 6 and then pathfind the zombies to their doom.

The shotty is beast once you get it maxed. It's more useful than the SMG in the later levels if you are using flares. The fat cops, the swat guys, and a few other enemy types go down in a shot up close. The rifle is the most used gun, overall, so it is the best gun to max out early.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this game is righteous

it succeeds at making the act of killing zombies satisfying, which is important, but it also succeeds at being an awesome top down shooter where you can get in the zone/ a trance state when shit gets intense. The horde is rushing but you're weaving in and out, torching geeks, setting off alarms and exploding vehicles, gunning down the stragglers...it's a fuckin hoot. It helps that shit gets intense very often, several missions in it's very challenging even on normal. I'm loving it and I still haven't even tried co-op yet.

my one objection is that I wish the weapon and armor upgrades would be deeper and persistent so you would have to do multiple playthroughs and/or play online a lot to fully upgrade everything. Taking the time to max out your dude would add a lot of longevity to the game, but I still get why they did it the way they did.

Darkatomz

I've played through about a level and a half with a friend so far on the difficulty one step above the default, and it's pretty fun. But, it is surprisingly hard. Not a bad thing, but just thinking that there are 2 other harder difficulties for this kind of game just sounds a little crazy.

I think I need to start over though and invest differently into my upgrades.

No45

Let me get this straight then, to unlock the higher difficulties I need to complete the game on Grim as opposed to Normal?

Seventy5

see5harp said:
God damn had a 1200x multiplier going in the 8th and died right before the damn exit via knifeman hand.
Nice! My multiplier was at 998 earlier today and I got all nervous like "holy fuck, I'm about to have a 1k multiplier" and then that knife hand fucker hit me twice and killed me.

Anyway, I beat the game on normal a couple hours ago and I loved every second. I can't wait to play more. This game is better than I expected it to be, and I haven't even tried co-op yet. Honestly though, I kinda wish there was a 3rd person camera option or unlockable. Even if it didn't look as good, I think it would be fun to be in the middle of those crazy ass hordes.

quetz67

Banned
boingball said:
how can you buy on the US store? my credit card does not get accepted as I have no address in the states

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I bought it today and beat the first mission. It didn't grab me like Super Stardust HD did at first play, but I enjoyed what I played. I started on Normal, but would you guys suggest starting at the next difficulty level after Normal (forgot it's name)?

spats

Awesome game is awesome. Housemarque delivered again. Spent all night playing through the campaign with a mate - stayed up til 4am but it was so worth it. :lol

Last I checked Finland was still hanging in 4th place, hopefully it hasn't dropped down too much.

jaydogg691

Just ended a nice session with the game. The game is good, but it's not as good as Super Stardust HD. I'm about half-way through the game and the game feels pretty slow. Hopefully armor upgrades will help move the character faster. There's other stuff that bothers me, but I'll try to get better so I can go for the high scores.

the TMO said:
6? 7.5?
What the hell?!
This game is pure awesome!
it is, that's why it's gotten some high scores as well

it's surprising that game reviewers of all people would score a great game low considering that we're exposed to a wide gamut of what is out there (from shovelware to high profile titles), whereas consumers have to choose wisely are less aware of just how good they have it, limiting their exposure with dollars. either way it boils down to taste so vote with yo money cause that's where it counts, not in a review score... Just Dance getting a sequel proves that

Xater

The last level of this game was pretty rough. When I paly again I am not going to waste any money on the shotgun. I thought that weapon was pretty useless.

crops55

If you hit reload and then switch to another weapon and then back again real quick it pretty much halves your reload time for any weapon. Was this intentional? Either way I love to abuse this with the a semi-upgraded shotgun. It's pretty much shoot until you run out of shells.

Game is really awesome. I was pretty much expecting a much faster paced game... almost like StarDust with Zombies but I think they nailed the atmostphere and gameplay. I don't normally do zombie games (overplayed) but this is really good.

crops55 said:
If you hit reload and then switch to another weapon and then back again real quick it pretty much halves your reload time for any weapon. Was this intentional? Either way I love to abuse this with the a semi-upgraded shotgun. It's pretty much shoot until you run out of shells.

reload cancels eh?

Just like Vanquish...

Top Bottom