• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Toxa

What about it?

I couldn't put a single hit, I was so pissed off I decided to stay on the floor waiting for K.O and then I got up and I managed to take his entire life while mine was almost empty without taking a single hit

maybe it must be normal for an experienced player but since I'm a rookie (recently bought DOA5+ PSVITA/PS3 bundle on the store) I was impressed lmao

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's been like this since launch. Sometimes you can get matches, other times it appears totally dead. :/ And I always have everything set to "any" where possible.

Oh, so the portable version isn't the only one with busted matchmaking then...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oh, so the portable version isn't the only one with busted matchmaking then...

Nah, PS3 (And Vita) have shitty ranked and player matches. That's why I usually only go for lobbies when playing on consoles. Even then I've sat in PS3 lobbies for long periods of time and just given up playing, on occasion.

I still play this, but it has not replaced SFxTK as my Vita fighter of choice because of the online.

They need to patch this game again- set the default searches to "any" for region and connection quality, or even remove connection quality filter entirely (making sure to show the connection before the match, of course).

akaoni

Banned
So is the matchmaking known to be farged? I tried the game again about a month ago and just gave up because I spent the majority of my time waiting for matches listening to that awful song looping and 'winner stays' lobbies - especially when you're waiting just to lose - isn't something I enjoy. I'm talking PSN though, maybe 360 is preferred?

TheSeks

So is the matchmaking known to be farged? I tried the game again about a month ago and just gave up because I spent the majority of my time waiting for matches listening to that awful song looping and 'winner stays' lobbies - especially when you're waiting just to lose - isn't something I enjoy. I'm talking PSN though, maybe 360 is preferred?

Er-in Lobbies go to spectate? If you're hanging in lobbies after saying you're going to fight... I dunno what to tell you. :/

akaoni

Banned
Er-in Lobbies go to spectate? If you're hanging in lobbies after saying you're going to fight... I dunno what to tell you. :/

There's still only one active match per lobby though, by that I mean you have to spectate until your turn? GGPO/Bamco style lobbies are what I would much prefer, I don't want to watch other people play while I wait to get steamrolled by the best player in the lobby - that's my issue, unless I'm misunderstanding how they work.

TheSeks

There's still only one active match per lobby though, by that I mean you have to spectate until your turn? GGPO/Bamco style lobbies are what I would much prefer, I don't want to watch other people play while I wait to get steamrolled by the best player in the lobby - that's my issue, unless I'm misunderstanding how they work.

No you're understanding how they work. But have you not played BB, SF4/SSF4/UMarvel 3/MK... in recent generations? They don't work in the GGPO way because they are built in a similar fashion to DoA5 and DoA5 just copied that style of online.

akaoni

Banned
No you're understanding how they work. But have you not played BB, SF4/SSF4/UMarvel 3/MK... in recent generations? They don't work in the GGPO way because they are built in a similar fashion to DoA5 and DoA5 just copied that style of online.

MK9 has a GGPO style lobby thingy where you can chat, or directly challenge individual players in the same room, which can have quite a few people. Bamco has the same idea but with a random fight option with others in the same lobby. Maybe there's a different term for these lobbies I prefer. Either way I could easily hop into MK9 and get straight matches using this system even though the game seems relatively small online being so old now, but yet I couldn't do that in DoA. The system has upsides like being able to watch good players and learn how to deal with them as you await your turn, but for newbies like me I'll just be smashing buttons so it's not going to help much.

TheSeks

Well, to be fair: You'd still be "mashing buttons" against good players in the GGPO lobbies. Just you're doing that against most anyone you see in those lobbies instead of the winner stays.

If you want to continue to play and "learn" against good players, you could set the lobbies (host your own!) to "loser-stays" or the other option of "random" or something like that. Winner-stays is the default and generally most accepted option but that doesn't mean you can't set different options or limit player lobbies to just you and one other person to "train" or play multiple matches.

vg260

We're pretty sure it's a re-release. Makes sense. There's a lot they can to the console versions from DOA5+ and obviously they're adding Momiji. She may not be the only new character, too.

Oh well. I guess I'll hold off on buying until they give more info.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Argh, I took 1 or 2 months off from playing this and then spent the past few days playing Tekken. Today I hop online and I'm getting destroyed. :(

I just picked this up last week and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It probably would have made more sense to wait for Ultimate, but I never played a DOA game before and it was only $20. If anyone is still playing this and wants some free wins against a Hitomi noob my PSN is Valkyria61.

Skilletor

In preparation for DoA5U, I've decided to learn Akira. Played a bunch this weekend with a friend testing out my new avermedia card. (It's awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhwY4U1AxpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxaSoQj58E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8ZyPNxR6U

Playing Akira (and vf characters in general) really highlight a lot of the problems I have with the game. I can avoid them all with Akira and Sarah. Maybe Pai, but not familiar with her.

But this did get me extremely excited for DoA5U. Need Akira combos.

I need to learn Pai for that amazing hair style.

It's always amazing to see what something as simple as a hairstyle change can do for a character. She went from looking boring to, if I may be blunt, looking pretty hot. It's not enough to make me want to use her though. I think the only new character I might use in Ultimate is Ein. If he's as boring of a character as Hayate I might not bother though. They really need to do something with that guy, it's like he has no personality. I don't know how it's possible to make a character that boring.

Playing Akira (and vf characters in general) really highlight a lot of the problems I have with the game. I can avoid them all with Akira and Sarah. Maybe Pai, but not familiar with her.
I've stated this but the VF characters provide the best experience in DOA5. Tecmo should hire AM2 to redesign their characters' gameplay designs and frame data. That or SEGA should hire Team Ninja to do their aesthetics.

Strange Ayane style. @_@

You play on small ?
I like to throw out those low jabs with Ayane as well, though my Ayane is quite a bit more evasive than the one I saw in that video.

Nothing too strange there though, except not much spacing like you see from most Ayanes.

Top Bottom