• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

GrayFoxPL

Can someone tell me how ffp+k works for Hayate? Every other "forward, forward plus something" move for any character works yet somehow Hayate goes into his fp+k stance 9 out of 10 times trying this one.

I do it fast, slow, randomly it comes out and I have no idea how to do it right. I swear his crazy combo throws are 10 times easier to do for me. Halp?

One more question. In online simple fight wheres stage selection and "triangle- danger zones off" when I hit it, it goes straight to fight and I'm never sure if it's on or off. I have custom mapped controls. Does character custom outfits work with L1, R1 even with custom button mapping? I can't get this stuff to work right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's as it says: 6.6whilepressingP+K.

Basically 6.6-R1 (if mapped that to the shortcut).

TheSeks

Wait, watching this dude, he does it pretty slow. I might did it too fast, looks like forward,pause,forward pk. Bizarre, driving me crazy.

Which is what I told you. 6 (./pause)6whilepressingP+K at the same time as you're entering the second 6.

You're either mistiming (most likely) by button mashing or the frame-input-buffer is screwing with you. IIRC they changed timings from DOA3->4->5 to where inputs have a longer input time and it can make the game think you're wanting dashing instead of a command like that.

GrayFoxPL

Which is what I told you. 6 (./pause)6whilepressingP+K at the same time as you're entering the second 6.

You're either mistiming (most likely) by button mashing or the frame-input-buffer is screwing with you. IIRC they changed timings from DOA3->4->5 to where inputs have a longer input time and it can make the game think you're wanting dashing instead of a command like that.

I didn't know dot meant pause. Thanks.

GrayFoxPL

Don't pause. This timing on this move is really weird do 66 as fast as possible but on the second 6 you should be hitting punch and kick at the same time. Who knew that such a scrubby game would have such weird input requirements?

Yeah, thanks, I'll be practicing it. Input timing for that move is totally different then the rest.

Thanks for the answers on the number terms, guys :)

I'm not sure what algorithm they use for Kokoro's kimono, but it's probably the most sumptuous display of real-time cloth physics I've ever seen.

Is this sort of thing something that's going to be improved greatly next gen?

I ask because it's really noticeable when clothes or hair pass through their arms and bodies abnormally. You can see this easily in some characters' losing poses, and I can't work out why the game was allowed to be classed as finished when they're so obvious and ugly to look at when it happens. Don't get me wrong; some of the hair physics are very good and they flow around really lovely, but others pass through bodies often.

Another example is when you do Kasumi's taunt. You can see her arm pass through her sword on her back every time.

Is this what is meant by the term 'graphical clipping?' I've only seen the term written, and wonder if this is the right case.

But yeah, is this something that would be improved in future games? It's a minor thing but when it's so obvious it makes me cringe.

Squire

Banned
Is this sort of thing something that's going to be improved greatly next gen?

I ask because it's really noticeable when clothes or hair pass through their arms and bodies abnormally. You can see this easily in some characters' losing poses, and I can't work out why the game was allowed to be classed as finished when they're so obvious and ugly to look at when it happens. Don't get me wrong; some of the hair physics are very good and they flow around really lovely, but others pass through bodies often.

Another example is when you do Kasumi's taunt. You can see her arm pass through her sword on her back every time.

Is this what is meant by the term 'graphical clipping?' I've only seen the term written, and wonder if this is the right case.

But yeah, is this something that would be improved in future games? It's a minor thing but when it's so obvious it makes me cringe.

It'll be lessened next generation, but it's certainly not going away. You're talking about an insane amount if collision detection which isn't really a top priority in a fighting game in terms of both mechanics and presentation.

It'll be lessened next generation, but it's certainly not going away. You're talking about an insane amount if collision detection which isn't really a top priority in a fighting game in terms of both mechanics and presentation.

Yeah, I figured as much lol. I guess if you look at what DOA5 does right now, it's bloody damn good for the most part. So if it can only get better, even if not perfect, then I'll be happy.

TheSeks

Man, I miss the inverted text effect on Fight!/Winner. :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So when are we getting the DOA5+ demo? Tomorrow would be nice...

Wait, are these videos of the Vita version? That music isn't from DOA5, is it? Which would mean that it has to be on the Vita.

The description says the following:

A video showing cross-save functionality for Dead or Alive 5 Plus (PlayStation Vita) and Dead or Alive 5 (PlayStation 3). These ninja training costumes are only available in Dead or Alive 5 Plus (DOA5+), but by using cross-save functionality, the costumes can also be used in Dead or Alive 5 for PlayStation 3. Hayate is wearing blue, and Hayabusa is wearing red.

Even hidden costumes like these can be used on the PS3 with cross-save. And as a little bonus, Hayabusa's costume is also available in the free DOA5+ demo, so you can use it on the PS3 even without the retail version of Dead or Alive 5 Plus!

TheSeks

a quik glance at doa5 shows me 1000mp games for one :/

Which isn't that bad since you'll have to do 350 matches or so for Alpha/Jelly-Kasumi anyway. Just 700 more matches. The problem is ranked mode and having to hope the community stays alive as you play 1000 matches. Shouldn't take more than a month depending on how often/how much you play.

Wait, are these videos of the Vita version? That music isn't from DOA5, is it? Which would mean that it has to be on the Vita.
That music is in DOA5.

I'd guess that it's footage from the PS3 version, just like the Kasumi vs. Ayane cheerleader costume match. And like NGS2+, I don't think we're getting direct-feed gameplay of DOA5+ ever.

It's just a third-party Vita thing.

Skilletor

Which isn't that bad since you'll have to do 350 matches or so for Alpha/Jelly-Kasumi anyway. Just 700 more matches. The problem is ranked mode and having to hope the community stays alive as you play 1000 matches. Shouldn't take more than a month depending on how often/how much you play.

I think I've got like 400 online games played. :(

500, maybe, between two consoles. I wish they counted offline matches.

Hey ya'll, this is what I'm posting at midnight. I prefer a more minimalistic approach to official threads, but will certainly take suggestions if there are any egregious omissions.

If anyone has a transparent .PNG of the DOA5+ logo, that'd be a big help!

s3LvLQT.jpg

Welcome. Boobs. Got that out of the way. Feel free to take off your clothes as you wish.

Official Trailer

PS3 vs. Vita Features Comparison

Reviews

Coming soon!

New Features

• Cross Platform Almost-Everything

Online cross-play lets you fight matches with both Vita and PS3 players. Cross Goods lets you use any purchased Vita DLC on the PS3 (and vice-versa). Cross Save lets you share and sync data between the PS3 and Vita versions.

• Touch Fight

Tap, pinch, and swipe to strike your opponent (in first-person too!). Yeah.

• Tutorial Mode

Expanded "lessons" teach new moves and strategies, and you're then put to the test with short "missions" - rinse and repeat.

• Combo Challenge

Choose your favorite character, and practice their most important moves and combos. You're given a series of commands and have to input them successfully in order to complete each challenge.

• More Detailed Move Info

Move details give you way more information than the console versions, such as distance, reach, height, follow-up interval, stagger recover, etc. A win for competitive play.

• Music Customization

Now you can give each character their own custom background song - song selection is no longer based on the stage. Replace the game's shitty soundtrack with some of the series highlights.

Screenshots

Characters - Who's your fighter?

iRxZ86e3muYWJ.png

Thanks for the graphic, Pupi18!

It's worth noting that the demo (said to be coming sometime around release day) is a jam-packed embarrassment of riches, featuring four characters (Kasumi, Hayabusa, Eliot, Tina), eight stages, arcade mode, training mode, and online cross-play. You can even unlock the DOA5+ exclusive Hayabusa costume for PS3 using cross-save with the demo alone (did I mention sexy skin-tight exclusive costumes yet?). Not only that, but all of your progress automatically carries over into the full game should you choose to purchase it.

Just make sure you buy the game though, or else you'll make Hayashi cry.

Z3BNcy5.png

And don't forget to check out the DOA5 thread for half a year's worth of grap3fruitman's rants, among other community musings.

Hope to see you all in the lobbies!
Sorry, no lobbies in the Vita version.

i9zQIyCQmkXCy.gif
i9zQIyCQmkXCy.gif

"Is that a Vita in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Squire

Banned
LOL. I feel like maybe you should've made a new set of avatars, but it's not like the characters got new portraits for Plus, so whatever.

Great job on the OT! I think minimalistic is a good fit considering it's a portable game and a re-release. We're moving soon! It's been... a pretty good thread, guys :)

Ainaurdur

So I wonder if they removed the lobbies to get us all to become PSN friends and play together that way!?
No, probably not.

But still, it would be an option, right?

With Team Ninja, there never is a reason. Why remove tag, for instance, if the Vita can handle it no problem (since it's included for story mode)? Next we'll hear that they "forgot" to make hit-sparks optional or something.

No lobbies is a big shame, though you are correct that there are workarounds. In any case, add me on PSN my DOA-bros: librasox.

Username of champions.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No lobbies, but what about "online dojos," whatever that is?

Still disappointed there's no lobbies in DOA5+. Come on Tecmo...Capcom did it with SFxTK.

Is this topic going to die now that the DOA5+ OT is up? Should I go there to talk more about DOA5 itself, or is it strictly for the Vita game? Like, are we going to be arranging matches in the Vita topic?

Squire

Banned
Is this topic going to die now that the DOA5+ OT is up? Should I go there to talk more about DOA5 itself, or is it strictly for the Vita game? Like, are we going to be arranging matches in the Vita topic?

The few people who really kept this thread going are going to be in the Vita thread now. I think because that version is cross-compatible with PS3 (and thus, the console versions were both patched to have the same level of balancing) it will be a suitable place to discuss the game in general.

Right you are, then :) Only been here a short while since getting DOA5 on PS+ last week, but appreciate the help you guys have given me to my noob questions so far! Guess you'll be seeing more noob questions from me in the Vita thread now :p

GrayFoxPL

Checked if I remember anything from playing Jann Lee for a half year in DOA2 Hardcore.

Went to some lobby - 17 win streak but lol they're swearing me to the moon from fa* to worse. Made beating those morons with DOA2 style JL even more fun.

Top Bottom