• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
THE SINGLE PLAYER STORY IS STUPID~!

5/10.
Does anybody really do that though? It would be nice if more fighting games offered a good amount of unlocks or content like alt costumes and stuff. I'm one of this people who really enjoys they kind of stuff when done right. Sadly it seems to be going away because of try can sell it as DLC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Does anybody really do that though? It would be nice if more fighting games offered a good amount of unlocks or content like alt costumes and stuff. I'm one of this people who really enjoys they kind of stuff when done right. Sadly it seems to be going away because of try can sell it as DLC.

You may what to read the Game Informer review. Yes, people do that.

As a series, Dead or Alive relies on fast-paced combat that is conducive to button-mashing. This sequel falls in line with that tradition, but adds an utterly incoherent story mode. Taking place on one long timeline, it shuttles you along from one nonsensical cutscene to another as you assume control of predetermined characters. Fights are initiated for little to no reason whatsoever, and are typically of the “You bumped into me...let’s fight!” or “You don’t look dressed for training...let’s fight!” variety. It’s essentially a long tutorial, as each stage offers a bonus objective that rewards you with unlockables for performing certain moves. If you’re not concerned with unlockable costumes or titles, you’re far better off spending time in the standard training mode.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You may what to read the Game Informer review. Yes, people do that.
Well, it is part of ther job I guess. You're right though, docking points because of a fighting game's story is pretty dumb.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, maybe it is fight request even if you don't get a fight request. Really weird bug that should be easy to fix but is damn annoying right now.

TheSeks

Has anyone bought this game? The guy streaming is fighting against the same person every time no matter how often he quits and searches for new lobbies

If he's doing simple/ranked matches he's doing it wrong. That's matchmaking him to the fastest connection/person it can. Lobbies will give you a server browser or allow you to create a room on your own terms. He should do that instead.

matics said:
Anyone know?

I don't think any of the previous DOA's did it, so I wouldn't count on DOA5 to do it either. But why not try it for yourself? Worse case scenario: You have to play round-robin in tag mode.

TxdoHawk

Picked up my copy, had to endure the register biscuit at Gamestop sneering about the pre-order bikinis. Why don't I just buy everything from Amazon again?

TheSeks

Picked up my copy, had to endure the register biscuit at Gamestop sneering about the pre-order bikinis. Why don't I just buy everything from Amazon again?

Pfft. Just ignore them and smile and go "yeah, I'm buying it for the masturbation material. You got a problem with that, plebe?"

DR2K

Banned
Has anyone bought this game? The guy streaming is fighting against the same person every time no matter how often he quits and searches for new lobbies

Outside of limited midnight release and prereleases, not too many have the option to buy it. There's also a shit ton of things to unlock offline. It'll pick up this weekend.

Just had the laggiest match ever. Probably got matched up with someone in asia. 25 matches, game does work online, but it could be better.

IGN Review - 8.8

"Dead or Alive 5 is, without any question, the best entry in the series. It retains its identity as a fast-paced, visually stunning 3D fighter, while shedding much of the baggage that's typically held it back. While there's still plenty of eye candy for both the ladies and gents, it's taken a back seat to what fighting games should be all about: fighting. It gives the casual fan a fighting experience that's as easy to grasp as it is exciting to watch, while providing more serious players the depth and features they need to stay interested. Give Dead or Alive 5 an honest chance, and you’ll find a formidable, enormously entertaining fighter that will keep you busy for a long time to come."

+Great visuals and animations.
+Deepest Dead or Alive yet.
+Strong training mode.
+Spectacular interactive environments.

- Sometimes a little too over-the-top.

raven777

Its kinda surprising that a lot of people who got early copies said the netcode was bad, but the reviewers are mostly saying the netcode is good.

zlatko

Banned
I've been watching Art's stream and I don't see the lag in his matches, but then again his interwebs is god like.

Still hesitant to take the plunge after all these mixed notices about glitches and online being slightly better than T6, which T6 was garbage plain and simple. :/

Skilletor

http://www.twitch.tv/perfectlegend/

Well, having watched this stream for over an hour now, the netcode is fine.

No mention of input lag, dropped combos or disconnects.

We can purchase this game with confidence.

I disagree and think that anybody who wants to play online should be wary.

I've been watching Art's stream and I don't see the lag in his matches, but then again his interwebs is god like.

Still hesitant to take the plunge after all these mixed notices about glitches and online being slightly better than T6, which T6 was garbage plain and simple. :/

It's really hard to see the lag. It FEELS off, but it runs fine. You can't tell by watching.

zlatko

Banned
I'll just wait on more impressions here on GAF before I make a decision. The slightly shitty reviews make me feel this game will drop in price hella fast either way.

Input lag has always been a given in DOA Online, but in DOA5 is literally like you are playing in slow motion. Also the framerate drops which is totally unacceptable. DOA4 is just an overall better product, much smoother. Team Ninja is a fucking mess without Itagaki. Hayashi is such a fuck up.

Skilletor

[Clark Gable];42527009 said:
Input lag has always been a given in DOA Online, but in DOA5 is literally like you are playing in slow motion. Also the framerate drops which is totally unacceptable. DOA4 is just an overall better product, much smoother. Team Ninja is a fucking mess without Itagaki. Hayashi is such a fuck up.

I wouldn't go that far since this game is looking to be better in everything else aside from online than any previous DoA before it.

zlatko

Banned
I wouldn't go that far since this game is looking to be better in everything else aside from online than any previous DoA before it.

Shit online for a fighter these days = your game fails. Plain and simple.

DOA community is small and you aren't going to grow it if there can't be people enjoying it online to want to come out to the events for it. That's how I see it anyway.

Skilletor

Shit online for a fighter these days = your game fails. Plain and simple.

DOA community is small and you aren't going to grow it if there can't be people enjoying it online to want to come out to the events for it. That's how I see it anyway.

Never said otherwise. Doesn't mean this game is bad, though.

Are all your experiences online before the patch or after?

I'm jumping through all the streams and everyone is happy with it.

You can't get online without patching.

Are they doing lobbies? I haven't done that, only played ranked games. I'll try a lobby later.

zlatko

Banned
Are all your experiences online before the patch or after?

I'm jumping through all the streams and everyone is happy with it.

Apparently what the stream shows is deceiving. It looks smooth, but the players are actually experiencing input delay.

Also, I'd take anything PerfectLegend says about this game with a grain of salt---he helped test it and his opinion is skewed either way for his raging hard on for the series it seems.

Where is based Haunts with his glorious reviews? :(

DirtyLary

Apparently what the stream shows is deceiving. It looks smooth, but the players are actually experiencing input delay.
(

Anything online will have some sort of input lag. You can hear them pressing buttons and see the moves come out too.

Some other competitive players are streaming, and they are pleased. If you can't trust their opinions too , who can you.

zlatko

Banned
True but you can hear them pressing buttons and see the moves come out too.

Some other competitive players are streaming, and they are pleased. If you can't trust their opinions too , who can you.

I'm at work so I can't have the audio on. What is Art saying about the net code? I'll take his word, because he hasn't been wrong yet for net code on a game yet.

Skilletor

True but you can hear them pressing buttons and see the moves come out too.

I'm a competitive player and I think it feels like ass. I'm also a huge DoA fan.

TTT2, SC5 have amazing netcode. I can count the number of matches I'd consider unplayable on one hand. This netcode is comparable to KoF13. Feels good on a great connection and terrible on everything else.

DirtyLary

I'm a competitive player and I think it feels like ass. I'm also a huge DoA fan.

TTT2, SC5 have amazing netcode. I can count the number of matches I'd consider unplayable on one hand. This netcode is comparable to KoF13. Feels good on a great connection and terrible on everything else.

Point taken.

I think it's to early to grab the pitchforks though.

Things can only get better.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Going to Gamestop can be extremely annoying. I only go if I have to...in this case, to get the PS3 DOA5 CE with leftover trade-in credit I had when I also went there for Tekken two weeks ago.

I'm actually dreading going to the mall this afternoon. I hate going to the mall now as it is, but the Gamestop there had a new manager that wouldn't stop pestering me about the premium card/Game Informer crap the whole time I was there.

I understand that they are required to try to get people to pre-order stuff. I understand that they are required to do the "rewards" card spiel.

What I do not accept are these things being repeated to me, multiple times, after I have declined- and this is not hyperbole.

Fortunately this is the last time I'm going to be going to a Gamestop for the foreseeable future.

And this is why Amazon is awesome.

zlatko

Banned

No way in hell I'm buying it then. I had KoF13 for a week tops, and as good as it is offline, I had no reason to play it with friends or online with strangers because it was a nightmare.

Skilletor

Point taken.

I think it's to early to grab the pitchforks though.

Things can only get better.

Or things can stay exactly the same.

No way in hell I'm buying it then. I had KoF13 for a week tops, and as good as it is offline, I had no reason to play it with friends or online with strangers because it was a nightmare.

As of right now, with my experience, it pains me to recommend other games over this. :( But I can't say this is acceptable, especially given the pedigree of the series' with its pretty much pioneering online fighters and how awesome namco's netcode is.

I'm so sad right now. :(

alstein

The only company I would accept bad netcode and still buy is SNK, and I got VF and Tekken for my 3d fix.

I'm waiting for bomba (which will happen) or may just say no sale.
I might even buy Guilty Gear instead, and I've never liked GG.

Top Bottom