• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

AAK

Sorry about abandoning yesterday guys, but it was literally unplayable. Once I entered into a stun state there was literally nothing I could do but mash because if I pressed any hold while reacting to what I was seeing the action came like half-a-second later. At that point I'm not even playing DOA.

Let's hope there's some improvement for PS4 DOA.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Do we know if Last Round PS3 is an upgrade or separate digital download?

Sooo what if I have the disc version?

On the official site, it seems to make out a free upgrade will be applied to both the digital and disc versions, actually.

Players of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate can play with other Last Round players by applying a free patch to upgrade their game to Dead or Alive 5 Last Round.

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/us/ftp.html

For whatever reason, I thought I'd read somewhere earlier (maybe TN's twitter) that digital DOA5U would defo have a free upgrade to LR, but nothing was said about disc. The above quote seems to imply both versions would get a free upgrade.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
On the official site, it seems to make out a free upgrade will be applied to both the digital and disc versions, actually.

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/us/ftp.html

For whatever reason, I thought I'd read somewhere earlier (maybe TN's twitter) that digital DOA5U would defo have a free upgrade to LR, but nothing was said about disc. The above quote seems to imply both versions would get a free upgrade.

Sweet. I think I'll stick with PS3 version then. Stages, hair, and new boob physics aren't enough for me to get a PS4. As long as I can buy the new characters I'm good.

Skilletor

Sorry about abandoning yesterday guys, but it was literally unplayable. Once I entered into a stun state there was literally nothing I could do but mash because if I pressed any hold while reacting to what I was seeing the action came like half-a-second later. At that point I'm not even playing DOA.

Let's hope there's some improvement for PS4 DOA.

Yeah, this netcode is terrible. I'm praying it's better for PS4/XB1.

i still don't understand how they're going to handle PS3 -> PS4 retail transfer.

Hmm. Maybe like a cross-buy kinda thing? Like how I recently have been getting PS4 games free once they are brought out after having bought the PS3 versions last year.

They could update the current store DLC to also include PS4 versions, so if you already had a costume from the store on PS3, you would instantly get the PS4 version costume free.

That doesn't really work for in-game save data for progress, titles, etc, though. So they may go a different method for the whole thing. I have no idea.

Skilletor

i still don't understand how they're going to handle PS3 -> PS4 retail transfer.

What don't you understand? DLC will be cross compatible. They'll probably add something to upload your save on DoA5 on ps3 and then you can download it on ps4. It's the same with cross save games on vita/ps3.

What don't you understand? DLC will be cross compatible. They'll probably add something to upload your save on DoA5 on ps3 and then you can download it on ps4. It's the same with cross save games on vita/ps3.

That's right, I forgot myself those cross-save features existed in other games. Yeah, likely will add that in to transfer data between both versions.

ShinMaruku

Love the alpha answer:
GamesBeat: What characters, if any, have been especially problematic when it comes to balancing the Dead or Alive 5 roster? Why?

Shimbori: That’s easy: Alpha-152.

The impression of how strong that character is changes drastically based on the person playing. This is a very important point which is common to all fighting games, so this might get a little long. Bear with me here.

For both Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate and Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, unless a player is fighting against someone a lot better than they are, then the player will not lose just because of a character’s abilities. However, the player’s impression of whether a character is strong or weak will vary depending on how well developed the player’s strategies against that character are. This is something that can be said for all fighting games, not just Dead or Alive. Now, for Alpha-152, what makes her unique is that she has the strongest attacks but the weakest defense, so how well she performs in a fight will vary dramatically based on how well developed an opponent’s strategy against Alpha-152 is. If the opponent has no strategy, then they will be easily overwhelmed with her critical combos which are easy to pull off and lead into any of 4 attacks: 3 critical burst moves or a throw with the most damage in the game.

However, Alpha-152 does not have normal wakeups and rising kicks, no normal holds, and because she is so light, she can get launched higher than other characters and thus potentially take more damage from juggles. All of that means she has the weakest defense of any character.

When playing against an opponent who has strategies for positioning, as well as dealing with her critical combo patterns and unusual wakeups, she will have a hard time winning. You see that in play when watching the well-developed tournament fights now compared to fights from the past. Extremely unique characters might not be so strong once people figure out strategies against them, so you need to make sure you don’t make them too weak initially.

This is why balancing is hard.
LOVE that.

AAK

It is incredibly annoying and frustrating how mainstream gaming outlets don't give a fuck about really important things like netcode in fighting games. No one even bothered to call them out on it.

With every other Japanese developer outside of SNK finally getting their netcodes serviceable, Tecmo continue to get away with it.

how are they detecting my PS3 disc on PS4? DLC shouldn't be a problem.

It is incredibly annoying and frustrating how mainstream gaming outlets don't give a fuck about really important things like netcode in fighting games. No one even bothered to call them out on it.

With every other Japanese developer outside of SNK finally getting their netcodes serviceable, Tecmo continue to get away with it.

agreed. i've been bitchig about netcodes for years.

This week's famitsu says the new male character is
Cyborg
Raidou

What? Dang. He was the only one of the three possibilities I hoped wasn't coming back. :/

Hopefully it's not actually the real Raidou back from the dead but a cyborg DOATEC made that shares his moves and looks a bit similar to the real Raidou or something.

ah, so you boot the game on your PS3 and it will update to LR?

I assume so. A few posts above, TN's site seems to indicate all versions of DOA5U will update to LR. Assuming that's true, you would imagine they'd put a cross-save feature in it, so upload your data on PS3 before you get rid and buy the PS4 version (if you do).

Skilletor

lol @ the new character.

I hope they make him more unique than what they did in DoA:D.

I also hope the female character has more effort put into her.

raven777

Que? New dlc?

546AA8D83A06D50015

546AA8D93A727F0031

Hubb

Some of them are alright. I feel like whenever they release "sets" like these where everyone gets a variation of the same theme everyone quickly dismisses them.

That being said, sets like these are the ones most likely included in LR, so I'll be passing on them.

AAK

They're really gonna try to get every fetish covered with the DLC aren't they huh?

Personally not a fan, the same way I hate the generic customs of TTT2 being homogeneous for the entire cast. The costumes should be character specific to enhance the identities of each fighter. But ah well, it's just my taste... definitely looks like it printed money for TN in the end.

Oh god those new police dlc costumes are killing me.
Hard to not buy them before LR is out...

I think it's been mentioned like a hundred times in this thread that all DLC you buy will be carried over to LR.

Hubb

I think it's been mentioned like a hundred times in this thread that all DLC you buy will be carried over to LR.

Yes, but there is a good chance (or at least a chance) it is included free. And not every costume is going to be to everyone's liking and that is fine. Like you said, it is easy money for them.

No sexy DLC for the girls? I'll pass.
It feels weird that Bass and Rig have the best looking outfits.
I guess Nyo's yellow flag is pretty cool looking too.

Squire

Banned
No sexy DLC for the girls? I'll pass.
It feels weird that Bass and Rig have the best looking outfits.
I guess Nyo's yellow flag is pretty cool looking too.

I guess it depends on your perception and taste. Cops is a pretty popular fetish last time I checked.

Somebody, somewhere thinks this stuff is sexy.

Police outfit DLC?

I'm...down for this. Out of all the costume set DLC, this one I find silly enough to get some amusement out of it. Nyotengu's police outfit in particular makes me laugh with how her fan is a warning flag.

Griss

This week's famitsu says the new male character is
Cyborg
Raidou

If the options were (as we suspected) Genra, Raidou and Shiden then Cyborg Raidou is definitely the best possible outcome I could have hoped for. Maybe they can do something cool with him. I used to hate Tengu, but they turned him into an awesome character by switching it around with Nyotengu. Maybe they can do the same with Raidou. Anyone but Genra. Anyone.

Eolz

Yes, but there is a good chance (or at least a chance) it is included free. And not every costume is going to be to everyone's liking and that is fine. Like you said, it is easy money for them.

This, and I have the problem of currently playing on 360 and switching to PS4 (like probably most players). No transfer for me :/

I honestly don't see any of the DLC coming out between now and LR being included for free. Not when there's so much older DLC that's probably not moving units anymore to use as added value

Top Bottom