• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

raven777

54707FA94104F9001B

54707FAB410FE40010

Got to play DOA5LR for a bit today. The graphics were.....ok I guess? It looks better than those ugly youtube videos...but it just looks like high-res, clean version of PS3 version. I didn't really see AA problems unlike the gameplay videos. But polygons were still rough and the skin shader looks same as PS3 version. Hopefully this is just old build and final version look much better.

Eolz

Nice to know about AA and such. I think they said that soft skin should be better in later builds.
Not surprised about the polygon count though, they already said it's just a higher-res port. We'll have to wait for 6 for new and better models, stages, etc.
And I'm ok with that
Did you notice some improvements about the stages/backgrounds? Since it's really blurry in old-gen versions...

raven777

Nice to know about AA and such. I think they said that soft skin should be better in later builds.
Not surprised about the polygon count though, they already said it's just a higher-res port. We'll have to wait for 6 for new and better models, stages, etc.
And I'm ok with that
Did you notice some improvements about the stages/backgrounds? Since it's really blurry in old-gen versions...

They seemed more crisp, but no real improvements in texture and lighting as expected. The higher resolution made it look bit better than PS3 version but nothing impressive. The color felt a bit less washed out in that war zone stage. I was never impressed with DOA5's stages and still feel the same about 5LR.

ShinMaruku

They do dlc right. They would be the ones who know how to pass dlc from platfrorm to platform better than anybody else. All their games I have from them do it quite well

ShinMaruku

More interested in how it plays than how it looks. Because that stage like home is a game changer. Good to see it's how it was. Bounds are gonna be SO good there.

54707FA94104F9001B

54707FAB410FE40010

Got to play DOA5LR for a bit today. The graphics were.....ok I guess? It looks better than those ugly youtube videos...but it just looks like high-res, clean version of PS3 version. I didn't really see AA problems unlike the gameplay videos. But polygons were still rough and the skin shader looks same as PS3 version. Hopefully this is just old build and final version look much better.

Yeah, that is basically what I was expecting. I'm still getting it day one and I think the 1080p and slight improvements will make it look decent at least since it looked good on PS3 and XBox.

All the debate in that Itagaki thread reminds me we should produce a list of things we want improving for the future of DOA. That goes for the obvious shit like netcode to making better stages.

Koei Tecmo has usually been doing surveys after new game releases, like for WO3U, so hopefully they will do one when LR comes out and we can all add the same stuff in it when the time comes.

I know there are more popular communities out there, like FSD, but wouldn't hurt for us lot to come to some conclusions ourselves, too.

ShinMaruku

That Itagaki thread made me laugh. Most of the praise the man got is from NG:B never minding that to get from there he had two revisions.

We should definitely put up suggestions and I can send it through freestepdodge and we can also put it through other avenues.

Mesharey

All the debate in that Itagaki thread reminds me we should produce a list of things we want improving for the future of DOA. That goes for the obvious shit like netcode to making better stages.

Koei Tecmo has usually been doing surveys after new game releases, like for WO3U, so hopefully they will do one when LR comes out and we can all add the same stuff in it when the time comes.

I know there are more popular communities out there, like FSD, but wouldn't hurt for us lot to come to some conclusions ourselves, too.
I think there was one after Ultimate, most likely they will do one after LR too.

Squire

Banned
It's weird that Itagaki talks about the DOA characters like actual people when he made the games with actual actual people. I read the first paragraph of that. Dude comes off like an asshole.

54707FA94104F9001B

54707FAB410FE40010

Oh, nice! Them working man's graphics. Looks... like DOA5, which is certainly fine by me!

Skilletor

What I would like:

Some kind of punishment for missing a counter. Like, if you do a high counter, I do a mid attack, then the next move (or maybe it should be a specific number of frames) should be, eh...un-counterable. Kind of like KI and lockouts.

More sitdown stuns.

I'd like to be able to escape throws if they aren't counter/hi-counter throws.

I want side attacks in DOA6. Sidesteps need to be more useful. Less tracking on strings once sidestepped, maybe add a new stun when getting hit on the side. Add in side throws while we're at it.

Tweak frame data so that things can be punished by moves and not just throws. (That would be more than tweaking, tbh, lol, but I'm expecting huge changes in DoA6).

Make a monk character. Plz.

ShinMaruku

It's weird that Itagaki talks about the DOA characters like actual people when he made the games with actual actual people. I read the first paragraph of that. Dude comes off like an asshole.

He does not come off like an asshole he is an asshole. But he's blunt some respect from that. But the man who made Ninja Gaiden made doa4 such a weak game will always remain a mystery. Some of the chages came from people destroying him in play testing. XD

Kumubou

What I would like:

Some kind of punishment for missing a counter. Like, if you do a high counter, I do a mid attack, then the next move (or maybe it should be a specific number of frames) should be, eh...un-counterable. Kind of like KI and lockouts.

More sitdown stuns.

I'd like to be able to escape throws if they aren't counter/hi-counter throws.

I want side attacks in DOA6. Sidesteps need to be more useful. Less tracking on strings once sidestepped, maybe add a new stun when getting hit on the side. Add in side throws while we're at it.

Tweak frame data so that things can be punished by moves and not just throws. (That would be more than tweaking, tbh, lol, but I'm expecting huge changes in DoA6).

Make a monk character. Plz.
So you basically want to turn DoA into VF? :p Not that I would mind.

I like the idea of having holds locked out for a bit (even for just the next hit) when you get hit out of one. One of the dumbest looking things is to hit someone out of a hold only to see them re-hold and immediately catch the follow-up. I think if you add this, you don't really need to add that many more limbo or sit-down stuns (or anything like them).

Throw breaks are a concern, and it really depends on how they're implemented. Keep in mind that DoA already has the risk/reward skewed a bit in favor of mashing against throws, since you get HCH damage if you're right. Whereas the worst thing that happens if you're wrong is that you get a CH stun or launch, and most raw launchers in DoA kind of suck.

Random system stuff I would add/change:

• Remove High Counterhit state from the game completely. All HCH situations would then result in CHs instead. (Other changes due to this: move CH launch heights to be what HCH launches were? Move normal/CH expert hold damage to the old CH/HCH values?)
  • Low holds leave the character standing.
  • Slow throw start-up across the board by a couple of frames, so that more moves are safe on block. I think this would be a lot easier than tweaking every move's value on block, and frankly due to the way strings work having everything safe on block would be kind of nutso. Then again, it's rare for a single attack to have the raw damage potential they could in VF or Tekken, so you may not really need many unsafe moves. This may also necessitate changes to how crouching works, so that people aren't fuzzy guarding everything in existence.
  • Rip VF5:FS's sidesteps off wholesale. (The way they work in DoA5U sucks goat eggs.) Sidesteps work 100% of the time when evading linear moves while they're active, and you stay evading the string until they do a completely different move, do an attack in the string that tracks, or you start attacking. You can also stack sidesteps to evade to their back
  • Replace all of the male characters with female characters -- gotta go after that waifu market.
    Joke suggestion
    or is it?

Skilletor

I like the idea of having holds locked out for a bit (even for just the next hit) when you get hit out of one. One of the dumbest looking things is to hit someone out of a hold only to see them re-hold and immediately catch the follow-up. I think if you add this, you don't really need to add that many more limbo or sit-down stuns (or anything like them).

Throw breaks are a concern, and it really depends on how they're implemented. Keep in mind that DoA already has the risk/reward skewed a bit in favor of mashing against throws, since you get HCH damage if you're right. Whereas the worst thing that happens if you're wrong is that you get a CH stun or launch, and most raw launchers in DoA kind of suck.

Random system stuff I would add/change:

• Remove High Counterhit state from the game completely. All HCH situations would then result in CHs instead. (Other changes due to this: move CH launch heights to be what HCH launches were? Move normal/CH expert hold damage to the old CH/HCH values?)
  • Slow throw start-up across the board by a couple of frames, so that more moves are safe on block. I think this would be a lot easier than tweaking every move's value on block, and frankly due to the way strings work having everything safe on block would be kind of nutso. Then again, it's rare for a single attack to have the raw damage potential they could in VF or Tekken, so you may not really need many unsafe moves. This may also necessitate changes to how crouching works, so that people aren't fuzzy guarding everything in existence.
  • Rip VF5:FS's sidesteps off wholesale. (The way they work in DoA5U sucks goat eggs.) Sidesteps work 100% of the time when evading linear moves while they're active, and you stay evading the string until they do a completely different move, do an attack in the string that tracks, or you start attacking. You can also stack sidesteps to evade to their back
  • Replace all of the male characters with female characters -- gotta go after that waifu market.
    Joke suggestion
    or is it?

I would make it so that you can only escape a throw that isn't modified damage. You would NOT be able to escape throws during recovery frames, or on counter/high counter damage. But your change to throws might work better.

I would LOVE that low hold change. And the change for hi-counters.

That sounds sweet.

And yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we just need lockouts on counters. It wouldn't have to be like a critical burst stun, but enough to get a launcher.

ShinMaruku

If there is a timer on counters I think most issues with them would be taken care of. Although there might be some rebalancing in order.

Well I'm happy they've finally listened to fans asking for it. Good job to them.

It's a good job they made the free console versions, so at least PC buyers can still play with us in our tournies and stuff.

Vade

I love these suggestions, especially VF's sidestep stacking.

Skilletor

You can imagine how much they make from dlc.

Perfect situation for me.

I don't care about most of the DLC. The random ones I do buy are awesome.

Others buy tons of DLC, which means I get lots of support for a game I love.

I hope this means that DoA6 will be more ambitious when it comes out (and that, if this is true, it gets a pc release as well...and an arcade release).

ShinMaruku

That massive number allows them to get money from a good group size so they could get money from different tastes. Allows for great support.

Hubb

Well I'm happy they've finally listened to fans asking for it. Good job to them.

It's a good job they made the free console versions, so at least PC buyers can still play with us in our tournies and stuff.

This is probably what I'll do. Buy it on PC and rock the free version on PS4. Hell they have offered up enough free characters since they've released the F2P model I am not missing many characters.

This is probably what I'll do. Buy it on PC and rock the free version on PS4. Hell they have offered up enough free characters since they've released the F2P model I am not missing many characters.

Which characters have they fully released for free in total then? I know they gave away Hitomi. Not sure who else apart from the four ninjas you start with.

Hubb

Which characters have they fully released for free in total then? I know they gave away Hitomi. Not sure who else apart from the four ninjas you start with.

Could have swore they gave away Mila, Jann Lee, and koroko. Guess that is only 4 including Hitomi, but the ninja's are free and the character DLC I bought carries over.

It's still a lot to be fair. A roster the size of the original Street Fighter 2 and a whole game (minus story mode) for free. Pretty awesome.

ShinMaruku

Put character price down to 99 cents and the costume pack to 6-7 and they have a perfect model. Although it would be best if it was they are all free and they just sell costumes, they put out stuff enough to fund it entirely on that.

Top Bottom