• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

DR2K

Banned
Is it true that Kasumi is a generally unsafe character on block?

Was reading a thread of her's on another forum and it sounded like you have to take the wait and see approach with her because she tends to be rather negative on block.

Most characters are unsafe on block. She's the fastest most mobile character in the game with solid hold and throw damage.

You get your frame advantage in doa from the stun system.

BadWolf

Most characters are unsafe on block. She's the fastest most mobile character in the game with solid hold and throw damage.

You get your frame advantage in doa from the stun system.

Thanks and yeah, definitely see the speed part. Tried Hayabusa and Hayate after playing a lot with her and they felt slow and sluggish.

Gotta look up info up for the stun system of this game.

DR2K

Banned
Thanks and yeah, definitely see the speed part. Tried Hayabusa and Hayate after playing a lot with her and they felt slow and sluggish.

Gotta look up info up for the stun system of this game.

Just hit details for left character and look at the frames at the top right of the black box

thundr51

I think OMG unlocks when you lose 10 times against the AI

Im using the Natural setting and I like it that way.

Thanks, I actually prefer natural as well but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything and needed to slog through story again.

I have a question regarding trophy transfer of vanilla DOA 5 and DOA5+

Can I somehow unlock the trophies I've already earned in Plus? I really don't feel like doing the damn story mode again in the PS3 version. And the titles did not seem to transfer at all (the unlocked costumes did, however).

(Sorry for the off topic, but I figured that the other OTs are pretty much dead by now...)

DR2K

Banned
I have a question regarding trophy transfer of vanilla DOA 5 and DOA5+

Can I somehow unlock the trophies I've already earned in Plus? I really don't feel like doing the damn story mode again in the PS3 version. And the titles did not seem to transfer at all (the unlocked costumes did, however).

(Sorry for the off topic, but I figured that the other OTs are pretty much dead by now...)

Trophies don't transfer. Different set.

GrayFoxPL

Core fighters didn't transfer my costumes from vanilla. Is there option for that?

I can't recover from sitdown stun from tutorial but I can do rajin...
ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

Footsie based. Ein and Ayane have great footsies.

Good defense? Liefang and Bayman have parries, offensive holds, advanced counters, etc...

Christie, Brad, and Helena have evasive stances. But are advanced characters relatively.
i thought ayane would've been more offensive because of back turn and not being able to block from it?

in doa2, helena, gen fu, and leifang were the characters i used. tbh, nowadays i'm looking for more of a fundamentals character. don't feel like learning holds and stances. maybe it's just my memory faulting me, but it seems like this game has gotten pretty complex.

I've tried searching, but my keywords are too broad.

Does GAME have any of the pre-order DLC packs? (the website mentions nothing).

if I make an order on Amazon tonight it's still advertising the pre-order DLC as coming with it, so I'm hoping GAME would be the same. They're both the same price, but I want those reward points, lol.

Also, I noticed there's a £24.99 "complete costume pack" available that includes all the DLC costumes from DOA5 Vanilla. Would they work in Vanilla too, or just for DOA5U?

Ludist210

I'm hoping to boost the trophies tonight...I tried to play for about 45 minutes this morning and got in a whopping two matches. Yikes...

I'll set up a lobby to shortest health meters lasting one round at 30 seconds. If anyone sees my PSN ID, it's Ludist210.

ShinAmano

I'm hoping to boost the trophies tonight...I tried to play for about 45 minutes this morning and got in a whopping two matches. Yikes...

I'll set up a lobby to shortest health meters lasting one round at 30 seconds. If anyone sees my PSN ID, it's Ludist210.
Not sure if is the same on ps3...but turning on fight requests seems to be best option on 360.

That said 360 people hit me up...xbl shinamano

Anyone done Ayane combo vs featherweight (difficulty 4)? i can't land the •K of (BT4P•K) because Alpha-152 is on the ground and •K whiffs. Apologies if my notation is off as im coming off of p4u and i don't know anything about DOA.
Edit: nvm got it, i was just late on the •K by a hair.

After playing a little more, the netcode has definitely been improved a bit from vanilla. I just played a few three bars that felt like butter. Usually a three bar would be a bit iffy at times for me in vanilla.

Dragoshi1

The tutorials really helped.

I haven't mastered it, but I at least know how to counter now. I think I've unlocked all possible costumes for Hitomi as well.

And I really hate grapple focused characters, who can string grabs together. There was a character in arcade mode that did it to me, and I couldn't break out of it no matter what I tried.

Is there a way to break out of something like that, and I just don't know how to yet?

I also haven't played online at all, yet. I wanna be sure I know each character inside and out.

AlStrong

Does round count matter?

Round count only matters for Versus mode, which doesn't unlock anything. :p Arcade and Time trial (solo + tag) are set deals. You also unlock a costume for the second character in tag now. :)

Damn, Tina has something like 14 unlockables. Guess I'll have to get good.

eep. I guess there's fewer to do if one already had stuff unlocked in the vanilla DOA5 profile. I only had to do unlocks for the DLC that I never had and the new ultimate costume.

xion4360

i thought ayane would've been more offensive because of back turn and not being able to block from it?

in doa2, helena, gen fu, and leifang were the characters i used. tbh, nowadays i'm looking for more of a fundamentals character. don't feel like learning holds and stances. maybe it's just my memory faulting me, but it seems like this game has gotten pretty complex.

Ayane can step back and turn around very quickly from BT, and she has many options so its not that much of a disadvantage with her. Kokoro is a very fundamental character so try her.

There was a character in arcade mode that did it to me, and I couldn't break out of it no matter what I tried.

Is there a way to break out of something like that, and I just don't know how to yet?

you can break some normal throws by pressing the throw button immediately, a lot of normal throws are unbreakable. Most combo throws are breakable and you can do this by pressing throw when you see "Combo Throw" on the screen, against the AI on high level the timing has to be just right, but generally you break it by pressing throw before they do.

Dantis

I find that Tweet from Tecmo saying that there are more outfits for Rachel and Momiji very odd. I just quickly added up the costumes, and I got 231, which is the total amount they said were in the game.

I'd like to think that it meant there were some super hidden ones, but I have a feeling it's just a mistake from their Twitter guy.

Played 29 matches against a friend of mine in Scotland. I'm in the U.S., in Florida. It was really super smooth. I approve of the netcode.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i'm gonna stop playing core fighters for now and wait for my disc copy to get here 'cause i'm not 100% sure what transfers over. hopefully i get it by tomorrow.

xion4360

i'm gonna stop playing core fighters for now and wait for my disc copy to get here 'cause i'm not 100% sure what transfers over. hopefully i get it by tomorrow.

Im pretty sure the save game created by core fighters is read by the full game just the same. What im not sure about is weather or not you have to do things over again to unlock trophies, or if they just automatically unlock.

alstein

Any basic tips for Bayman? He's male and ugly so I don't think folks will be playing him much. May give Tina a shot since I like grapplers and I'd rather play a female char eventually.

Im pretty sure the save game created by core fighters is read by the full game just the same. What im not sure about is weather or not you have to do things over again to unlock trophies, or if they just automatically unlock.

You have to do things over again to unlock the trophies.

AlStrong

I find that Tweet from Tecmo saying that there are more outfits for Rachel and Momiji very odd. I just quickly added up the costumes, and I got 231, which is the total amount they said were in the game.

I'd like to think that it meant there were some super hidden ones, but I have a feeling it's just a mistake from their Twitter guy.

Yeah seems like it.

I was mildly disappointed they didn't throw in copy/paste/palette swaps of the cheerleader/angel/devil/santa outfits for them or even 1 swimsuit. :p

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
They should just rename the online to DOA5 Tag. I can't find a damn game at all unless I search for Tag Match.

Skilletor

Any basic tips for Bayman? He's male and ugly so I don't think folks will be playing him much. May give Tina a shot since I like grapplers and I'd rather play a female char eventually.

I don't play him, but look up Rikuto on youtube. He's the best Bayman out there.

KAOS

Hopefully the Next Gen versions of DOA will move away from the drab look. Even with the added new stages in Ultimate the game still looks worse than DOA4.

What's "drab look" mean? I prefer the DOA5 more realistic approach over the anime barbie doll look of previous DOA games. Frankly, I hope they stick with the DOA5 look and can't wait to see next-gen DOA6.

jaz013

Banned
This is one of the games that would greatly benefit from MiiVerse.

It's a real shame Tecmo was too lazy to port it over.

LTWheels

I didn't really like the Opera House personally. The Japanese Temple/Waterfall stage and the Great Wall stage, now those were the shit.

I think it was Helena's theme that did it for me. The actual layout of the stage is shit, but the music and the fire all goes well together.

Top Bottom