• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

louie

According to Fork at fsd he got some good buffs to compensate.

Not really. The buffs to 3pkp and 6k2kp are pretty redundant considering those moves are so easily telegraphed, and that you could pretty much do that in vanilla anyway if you timed it right. Also, while unrelated, Eliot used to have a great ground game, and with the ground returning to 1.02 status (minus force-techs), he now has absolutely no way of accessing his multitude of unholdable set-ups. It's actually kinda funny.

For the record though, I hate that I have become one of those people that complains about how shit their character is. I'm just gonna assume I haven't discovered some really great technology for him yet. It's still early days, he could be the next blender for all I know!

so I'm guessing PS3 is the system with the bigger player base due to the free version? I've been buying DOA games on Xbox since DOA3 (obviously) but if the PS3 version has significantly more players I'll jump ship and buy the PS3 version instead. can anyone confirm?

edit: and I'm guessing story mode is the same?

edit 2: at the same time, i don't want to unlock everything again since I owned vanilla DOA5 on 360. shit, I think I may just get the 360 version then, hopefully the online is as full. what do I doooooooooo

Anyone else having really bad luck when searching for lobbies? I can find lobbies with a good connection, but they always have stupid settings like largest health or are massive 8-10 player lobbies. There's no way I'm joining a lobby with that many people, that's way too much waiting around. I know I can just make my own but the past two times I've made one nobody would join. It's getting kind of frustrating. I really don't want to sit around in ranked and have to deal with the awful matchmaking at the moment.

RetroMG

/sigh I really want this,but I want a digital version and my PS3 is dead. Why can't MS get on board with day one digital this gen?

I'll probably wind up grabbing a retail version.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Forget about solo ranked matches, guys. It's fucked-up right now. The game even tells you this in the informative message broadcast. Just play tag ranked.

Anyone else having really bad luck when searching for lobbies? I can find lobbies with a good connection, but they always have stupid settings like largest health or are massive 8-10 player lobbies. There's no way I'm joining a lobby with that many people, that's way too much waiting around. I know I can just make my own but the past two times I've made one nobody would join. It's getting kind of frustrating. I really don't want to sit around in ranked and have to deal with the awful matchmaking at the moment.

Yes, and this was the same issue with vanilla DOA5 too. There was one point where I made a lobby open to everyone with all connections, took out my Vita, and played for a good 20-30 minutes-- Nobody ever joined, but I got lucky and found a good lobby with just a few people to play.

Right now I just play the various single player modes, with tag throwdowns on, and have been working on getting all the outfits unlocked.

Grisby

What's that?
It's been a pain in the ass to find solo ranked matches. Either the player count is low or something is up. Tag matches seem to work/popular.
ikPlluocUGfm8.png
That's terrible.

I love it.

Playing some more, I guess graphics look fine. I guess I was deceived with the Vita version and just forgot how the game looked on the big screen!

One look of Mila, and all is fine!

Espada

Re: Damage - Who are you using? What kind of attacks are you using to extend stuns? Are you using critical bursts? Launchers?

Re: Stagger escapes - You should pay attention to the stun you're put into. Some stuns have followups from which you can't escape, so your option is take damage or hold out of it. Some people wait for you to stagger escape so they can throw/go for a mixup.

Also, I read they changed how you perform the escapes now. You have to hold H and do 360s on the joystick. Are you doing that or performing it way it was in previous games?

But, imo, stagger escapes are a horrible mechanic. Mostly due to the amount of stuns there are in this game.

Play combo challenges to learn strong combos or at least give an idea for your own.
The point is to build up multiple stuns on opponent without knocking him down, then gamble launcher and juggle, hi counter throw or other powerful move.

In doa you cancel stuns with holds (counters), when you're stunned, counter. You must guess what's coming - high,mid p, mid k, or low and counter accordingly.

what's your idea of a "crazy combo chain" and you do you play? if you're trigger happy, you might be getting counterhit a lot for increased damage.

i don't even bother with stagger escapes. i just guess with holds, but i'm a scrub.

I like using Leifang, Lisa, and Kokoro. If the problem is eating lots of counterhit damage, I don't know how to fix that. I try to take advantage of the gaps between getting stunned to death to do damage, but my moves are often too slow (even though the game says punches are faster than kicks).

I've really tried to learn that critical stun and burst dynamic, but no go. When I manage to stun them it doesn't last long enough for me to safely land a hit, and I think the only Critical Burst I've pulled off is in the early tutorial.

A leg up is what I need here, I'm getting creamed by the computer on Normal and folks online. With against Helena and Pai, it's even worse.

Mesharey

i can't really find much on youtube and idk if this game has a japanese scene of high level play i can watch. I'm new to doa and have NO idea how I should approach things, I think I'll stick to Ayane.
Search for HajinShinobi, might be the best Ayane player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWHhQX261w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
His defense is extremely good, this videos is from DOA5, but you can use it on DOA5U.

I use Ayane too, I'm not very good (I use many unsafe attacks) but here are some videos I made months ago, I found better damage combos now, critical combos still work. (Note that BT PPPP is not safe now and doesn't cause guard break)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5nqwzmTncE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVo2gOjpmM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YE-VASdnSo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: this channel is really good too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MLMIoGNRw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Search for HajinShinobi, might be the best Ayane player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWHhQX261w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
His defense is extremely good, this videos is from DOA5, but you can use it on DOA5U.

I use Ayane too, I'm not very good (I use many unsafe attacks) but here are some videos I made months ago, I found better damage combos now, critical combos still work. (Note that BT PPPP is not safe now and doesn't cause guard break)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5nqwzmTncE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVo2gOjpmM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YE-VASdnSo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: this channel is really good too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MLMIoGNRw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Perfect thanks! Been messing around in practice and P > BT 8P seems like a good way to bait whiff, I just haven't found a good punish. 66kk4 seems kinda risky but I guess I can get decent damage following up with 6p, ppp7k, (I think that was the input) so if you got any good punishes I'd love to know!

Ninja Dom

PS 3 UK players: Retail disc version should be in stores now. Retail download version isn't up on the PS Store yet.

Core Fighters release has been delayed.

LTWheels

I was surprised by how deep and long the tutorial is.

Liking Rachel as well. Never used Spartan in 4 but enjoying it here.

As soon as I unlocked more music I pretty much changed everyone's song to their Doa2 track.

For stagger escapes, they really should have put a joystick on the screen to let you know which stuns can be stagger escaped.

Mesharey

Perfect thanks! Been messing around in practice and P > BT 8P seems like a good way to bait whiff, I just haven't found a good punish. 66kk4 seems kinda risky but I guess I can get decent damage following up with 6p, ppp7k, (I think that was the input) so if you got any good punishes I'd love to know!
Well, I'm not good with fighters (I play them all but really bad >.>), so I don't know what do you mean by punish? LOL. XD
Usually in DOA when you finish a string, most of them are not safe (for example Ayane's PPPK) and the other player blocked all attacks then he can get a free throw against you and you can't do anything about it.
The best combo I found that that works against all weights (except heavy) after CB is 4K 8KK BTPP4PP8K.

Check the link below, iHajinShinobi explained to me Ayane's tools at range in DOA5, most of them work except I think 4H+K:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/バッカみたい-the-ayane-video-thread.1369/page-3

Well, I'm not good with fighters (I play them all but really bad >.>), so I don't know what do you mean by punish? LOL. XD
Usually in DOA when you finish a string, most of them are not safe (for example Ayane's PPPK) and the other player blocked all attacks then he can get a free throw against you and you can't do anything about it.
The best combo I found that that works against all weights (except heavy) after CB is 4K 8KK BTPP4PP8K.

Check the link below, iHajinShinobi explained to me Ayane's tools at range in DOA5, most of them work except I think 4H+K:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/バッカみたい-the-ayane-video-thread.1369/page-3
Alright I got some range tools to work with thanks! Nice cb setup btw ill have to practice it. So would that fourm you linked be a good source of info because Im gonna need dedicated doa forum lol, first 3d fighting game I'm considering getting into.

Mesharey

You seemed pretty okay with it in our game! :p
I use solo match tactics, I just add after each combo 8H+K+P. :p
Alright I got some range tools to work with thanks! Nice cb setup btw ill have to practice it. So would that fourm you linked be a good source of info because Im gonna need dedicated doa forum lol, first 3d fighting game I'm considering getting into.
Yes, most of DOA community use it.

first 3d fighting game I'm considering getting into.
Keep in mind that DOA kind of goes against every single convention of every other fighter, not just 3D. So don't take everything in DOA to heart because you'll have a tough time learning other fighters.

I've been trying to undo all the damage DOA did to me for some time now and it's a slow process. I posted some VF matches on a site and asked to be critiqued.
"Why aren't you attacking after that hit?"​
Well, I'm so used to being at disadvantage, even on hit, thanks to DOA.​

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
netcode is a lil weird, or at least the bars measuring it. i had amazing 1 bar matches and shitty 4 bar matches.

Yeah, it's false advertising and why I'm getting the 100 matches played out of the way as fast as I can so I can drop the online mode.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I think I'm just going to buy the game on 360... fighting less ninjas online sounds nice

Yeah, i'm REALLY getting tired of vsing most of these ninjas. I would have bought it for the 360 but I think I prefer the ps3 pad for this game.

ShinMaruku

Now that I have found that Hitomi has a DP this game is complete. It has kept me from PSO2 for a week. This game is so good. First game where I don't feel bad spending hours in training mode. I spent about 5 hours today in the lab.

TheSeks

By Shoryuken you mean that Power Launcher? Doesn't seem to practical.

ShinMaruku

Critical burst into it. It's a great finisher. Takes some time to get used to though. I generally save it for tag mode. Much better place I can use it for.

Mesharey

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJEXanOwpydZFYcJCbJZLKPKjo-t3XrXa

Uploading some matches to a playlist. Learning Rachel...she's super dirty.

For some reason my capture card would randomly split up the vids while I was recording. Strange.
Rachel is really good, I need to learn how to use her.
BlackMamba is using her now and he found new force tech using the stomp attack.
Once again, I really like your Ayane, she's different. @@
Now that I have found that Hitomi has a DP this game is complete. It has kept me from PSO2 for a week. This game is so good. First game where I don't feel bad spending hours in training mode. I spent about 5 hours today in the lab.
What do you mean by DP?

4KK is good to re-launch now, after the CB and 33P I think the best combo for all weights (except heavy) is 4KK PP4PPP, but I need to check more combos.

stn

Two questions regarding Jann Lee:

1. When do you B, F + B on the 360, the dragon kick won't come out by mistake, right? I don't know why that kept happening. Was never an issue in DOA4.

2. Does his UB+B launch like it used to in DOA4?

TheSeks

So I preordered Dead or Alive 5 plus for ps vita. I got the pre-order costumes (the cheerleaders), how do I make them work with this game?

Download the PS3 versions on your download list. If they aren't there, take a screenshot of your downlist and give your PSN ID to Tecmo-Koei's support number/e-mail to fix because cross-buy is broken for you.

Top Bottom