• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Espada

I'm having trouble with two things in this game: Dealing damage and pulling off stagger escapes. I've hit opponents with crazy combo chains only to look at their HP bar and be underwhelmed. Meanwhile they hit me twice and take off a quarter of my health. What am I doing wrong?

The other issue is stagger escapes. I'll get put into a critical stun state and get destroyed off an unending combo (I'm looking at you Helena and Pai). Is Hold+mash directions the only way out? I've tried that and it's super unreliable.

Skilletor

I'm having trouble with two things in this game: Dealing damage and pulling off stagger escapes. I've hit opponents with crazy combo chains only to look at their HP bar and be underwhelmed. Meanwhile they hit me twice and take off a quarter of my health. What am I doing wrong?

The other issue is stagger escapes. I'll get put into a critical stun state and get destroyed off an unending combo (I'm looking at you Helena and Pai). Is Hold+mash directions the only way out? I've tried that and it's super unreliable.

Re: Damage - Who are you using? What kind of attacks are you using to extend stuns? Are you using critical bursts? Launchers?

Re: Stagger escapes - You should pay attention to the stun you're put into. Some stuns have followups from which you can't escape, so your option is take damage or hold out of it. Some people wait for you to stagger escape so they can throw/go for a mixup.

Also, I read they changed how you perform the escapes now. You have to hold H and do 360s on the joystick. Are you doing that or performing it way it was in previous games?

But, imo, stagger escapes are a horrible mechanic. Mostly due to the amount of stuns there are in this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I could see this franchise doing fairly well on PC if it went that route.

Nude mods for ERRYBODY!

And that's why Tecmo won't do it. They cracked down hard on DOA3 modders on the X-box 180.

GrayFoxPL

Play combo challenges to learn strong combos or at least give an idea for your own.
The point is to build up multiple stuns on opponent without knocking him down, then gamble launcher and juggle, hi counter throw or other powerful move.

In doa you cancel stuns with holds (counters), when you're stunned, counter. You must guess what's coming - high,mid p, mid k, or low and counter accordingly.

what's your idea of a "crazy combo chain" and you do you play? if you're trigger happy, you might be getting counterhit a lot for increased damage.

i don't even bother with stagger escapes. i just guess with holds, but i'm a scrub.

How do you play this game? Seriously.

I also can't find a character I like... =/
i actually found tekken revolution way easier to pick up. which is weird because i played the heck out of doa2 more than any tekken game.

tekken = launch -> do whatever.
doa5 = stun -> learn dozens of variations or get held all day long.

that being said, i really like the game. but yeah, also still trying to find a chara i like.

Skilletor

Gonna be going through everybody's combo training. Here's Rachel's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAy23c3nZQ&feature=youtu.be

Wanted to do Ein's but there's a combo that I couldn't land. need more practice. (Seriously, though, 3 WS+Ks in a row and THEN 66KKK WTFFFFF...Couldn't get the last part to land :/)

Edit: I'm not trying to make it look like I'm super awesome at the game, so these include my failures as I try to figure out stuff. :)

Nude mods for ERRYBODY!

And that's why Tecmo won't do it. They cracked down hard on DOA3 modders on the X-box 180.

See Skyrim.

But seriously, who cares.

Edit: I'm pretty sure if it ever came out on steam it could get a pretty decent community. Workshop support would be great too for costumes, a-la dota 2.

Gonna be going through everybody's combo training. Here's Rachel's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAy23c3nZQ&feature=youtu.be

Wanted to do Ein's but there's a combo that I couldn't land. need more practice. (Seriously, though, 3 WS+Ks in a row and THEN 66KKK WTFFFFF...Couldn't get the last part to land :/)

Edit: I'm not trying to make it look like I'm super awesome at the game, so these include my failures as I try to figure out stuff. :)
Assuming you can find games would you post videos of your matches? i can't really find much on youtube and idk if this game has a japanese scene of high level play i can watch. I'm new to doa and have NO idea how I should approach things, I think I'll stick to Ayane.

TheSeks

Pretty much. I suspect it woudl be less then 48 hours ffrom game release till the first nude mod skin.

Not even that. The girls/men are fully "nude" and the costumes you choose are texture swapped on them IIRC. Similar to how a real-person puts on clothes. At least that's how it worked in DOA3 and XBV. I dunno how it works in 5.

TheSeks

But seriously, who cares.

Tecmo cares. That's why they had that long ass legal warning in DOA3/2U/XBV/XBV2/4 on game-bootup and cracked down on X-box modders.

Whoops, double post.

As if Tecmo releases anything on PC anyway.

As if Tecmo has anything but Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive going for them anyway. ;)

Skilletor

Assuming you can find games would you post videos of your matches? i can't really find much on youtube and idk if this game has a japanese scene of high level play i can watch. I'm new to doa and have NO idea how I should approach things, I think I'll stick to Ayane.

I'll be playing a bunch locally this weekend, hopefully.

I'm not the best Ayane, but I do use her.

Come on now, grap3. You know more than most how to play this game. You secretly love it.
I don't love it at all. It has all the same major issues I've had with the series since '05.

What I mean when I say "How do you play this game?" is I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the changes.

I didn't like DOA5 Vanilla either but I knew to chain as many sit-down stuns together as possible. They seem to have changed all the moves that caused sit-down to either knock down or do that weird-ass bounce that I can't seem to follow- up with anything.

So, how do I play? What am I fishing for in order to get damage? I don't want to play the stupid stun guessing game. DOA5V allieviated that a tiny bit but then kept chipping away from it with each consecutive patch and now even more-so with this "Ultimate" version.

Pimpbaa

A frame is what it sounds like. The game is 60fps, so you want to do k+g, and release guard in 1/60th of a second from pressing both.

lol, this is why I will never get good at fighting games. Too old to do that shit. I'll just be mashing the buttons and looking at boobs.

Anyone has a tip for Hayate's Raijin? (His complicated grab?).

I can't see to chain the second part no matter how fast I input it. Every key press seems good.

GrayFoxPL

I can't see to chain the second part no matter how fast I input it. Every key press seems good.

Timing is weird. Don't input too early. Input the second part when he flips over about when their heads meet so that the throw button is pressed just when Hayate shoots opponent with his legs. There's even sound effect. Boom. If you press throw when opponent is in the air it's too late.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

just gotta be fast. my input often looks something like 961473, but i still get it. so i don't think it has to be super accurate.

GrayFoxPL

just gotta be fast. my input often looks something like 961473, but i still get it. so i don't think it has to be super accurate.

It really doesn't. My dpad is really wonky and makes 6-7 additional inputs sometimes.
It register as long as you have all the required inputs. Btw some directions can be reversed and it's still ok.

DR2K

Banned
I don't love it at all. It has all the same major issues I've had with the series since '05.

What I mean when I say "How do you play this game?" is I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the changes.

I didn't like DOA5 Vanilla either but I knew to chain as many sit-down stuns together as possible. They seem to have changed all the moves that caused sit-down to either knock down or do that weird-ass bounce that I can't seem to follow- up with anything.

So, how do I play? What am I fishing for in order to get damage? I don't want to play the stupid stun guessing game. DOA5V allieviated that a tiny bit but then kept chipping away from it with each consecutive patch and now even more-so with this "Ultimate" version.

The new stuns look like you can't get anything off then, but that isn't true at all. I'm relearning Helena, this is nothing like DOA5.

Grisby

Ha, Tecmo seems to be aware of the solo match deal. Ticker says they are trying to do something about it.

Also, I hate ninjas so much.

louie

How could they give so much great tools to the new characters, but completely neglect the old characters? Why would they even remove the tools and set-ups from some of the already low-tier characters!? It makes no sense, ahhh!

Also, I didn't think I would miss the ground game this much. To make matters worse, you can now force unholdable moves again, but only some characters have the ability now to force tech. Ahhh!

DR2K

Banned
How could they give so much great tools to the new characters, but completely neglect the old characters? Why would they even remove the tools and set-ups from some of the already low-tier characters!? It makes no sense, ahhh!

Which low tier character got nerfed?

Nude mods for ERRYBODY!

lol. Yeah, its true.
Just the ability for the player to put any modded costume into the game they wanted, would be enough to stop them buying TN's DLC outfits.

I would love to know how much money TN make off DLC, compared to game sales (and which DLC is most popular).

Squire

Banned
I'm legitimately interested to see if they do DOAX3.

Because that would easily fit an F2P model. I'm wondering if they can resist all that guaranteed money.

louie

Which low tier character got nerfed?

Eliot got hit pretty badly. No guaranteed down hit after 6h+k or 1p+kk anymore, 6h+k now unsafe, 6p+k now being a knockdown hit has caused him to lose his best guaranteed set-up (h+k, 6p+k, 6h+k, instant 3p, instant 3p, instant 3p, 3ppp46p), can no longer force tech with 2p+k (i.e 236f+p pp 2p+k for +19 force tech), 7p no longer stuns, and the nerf to the parry kinda sucks. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. On the bright side though, he now has a mid tracking move that is faster than 35 frames.

GrayFoxPL

Also, I hate ninjas so much.

ikPlluocUGfm8.png

s_mirage

Doesnt the warriors series sell way more than doa in japan and tecmo and koei are one company now

Could be a good thing for the possibility of a PC port (that and the arcade version's hardware), Koei have released PC ports in the past. Albeit so quietly no-one noticed.

I'm not holding my breath though.

DR2K

Banned
Eliot got hit pretty badly. No guaranteed down hit after 6h+k or 1p+kk anymore, 6h+k now unsafe, 6p+k now being a knockdown hit has caused him to lose his best guaranteed set-up (h+k, 6p+k, 6h+k, instant 3p, instant 3p, instant 3p, 3ppp46p), can no longer force tech with 2p+k (i.e 236f+p pp 2p+k for +19 force tech), 7p no longer stuns, and the nerf to the parry kinda sucks. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. On the bright side though, he now has a mid tracking move that is faster than 35 frames.

According to Fork at fsd he got some good buffs to compensate.

Squire

Banned
DOAX2 already had paid unlocks for each character. :>

Yeah, but you still had that $60 entry fee. I'm talking a Core Fighters type of thing where you download the base for free.

They'd probably give you volleyball/whatever other games and charge for the photo mode and the extra swimsuits. I'm sure there'd still be paid unlocks for a boxed version though.

I'm legitimately interested to see if they do DOAX3.

Because that would easily fit an F2P model. I'm wondering if they can resist all that guaranteed money.

It would be interesting to see if a (likely) low-selling game, with high-selling DLC could be economically viable. I think DoAX3 might fit this catagory.
It could be a good way for consumers to avoid the swimsuits they dont like and just focus on the one they do by selecting them via DLC.
Again, I'd love to know how much money the DoA5 outfits are making.

Top Bottom