• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Skilletor

Normal is boring. Some of the girls have too much boring normal clothes like Kororo, Hitomi, and maybe Mila (if you consider workout and fighting outfits normal).

Normal is awesome. It'd be nice if all the girls didn't look like fetish models in 95% of their outfits.

Normal is boring. Some of the girls have too much boring normal clothes like Kororo, Hitomi, and maybe Mila (if you consider workout and fighting outfits normal).

Nah, we definitely could use more normal outfits. Hitomi having mostly normal clothes is actually one of the reasons she's my favorite character. Normal is good.

Mesharey

BV8YlfcCMAAQPpa.jpg

Ayane

synce

There's a big update mid October, costumes are probably part of it

So far we got

kasumi - princess
ayane - fairy
hitomi - angel
tina - hood
christie - vampire
bass - viking
leon - gladiator
bayman - zombie
eliot - cupid
ein - vampire

There's probably 2 more to make the usual 12. Momiji and Rachel are safe bets

Yeah, man. I agree with you. My favorite thing about DoA, is the overall spectacle of it . This includes the eye candy part (along with the combos, counters and grapples). Seeing a girl in a sweater and scarf, in-game, is as boring as seeing them out on the street wearing it.
Theres no way of knowing how well the bikinis sell compared to the other outfits, but this small Kotaku article was interesting for me...

http://kotaku.com/the-numbers-dont-lie-gamers-want-dead-or-alive-bikin-1440546939

Dead or Alive series top man Yosuke Hayashi revealed some insight as to gamers' buying habits in an interview with Weekly Famitsu. "With the DOA series, the bathing suits seem to have been popular with Japanese gamers while overseas a lot of people say 'give us male character costumes!' However, once we release the game, it turns out the bathing suits sell quite a lot overseas as well." Hayashi added with a laugh, "Everyone is just trying to save face, but the numbers are honest."

Yeah, man. I agree with you. My favorite thing about DoA, is the overall spectacle of it . This includes the eye candy part (along with the combos, counters and grapples). Seeing a girl in a sweater and scarf, in-game, is as boring as seeing them out on the street wearing it.
Theres no way of knowing how well the bikinis sell compared to the other outfits, but this small Kotaku article was interesting for me...

http://kotaku.com/the-numbers-dont-lie-gamers-want-dead-or-alive-bikin-1440546939
Considering that there are more bathing suits than any other type of outfit to a 3-to-1 ratio, this quote seems a bit disingenuous.

lol, exposed.

Skilletor

This is such a strange notion to me. You're pretty much saying that a woman looks boring if they're fully clothed.

Endo Punk

People need to stop purchasing swimwear so the male characters can actually get some decent outfits. I really want more for Brad and Bayman :( Getting tired of the Cowboy and Green Beret ones, well, actually I'm not but still need more costumes for the two.

Pimpbaa

People need to stop purchasing swimwear so the male characters can actually get some decent outfits. I really want more for Brad and Bayman :( Getting tired of the Cowboy and Green Beret ones, well, actually I'm not but still need more costumes for the two.

No one wants outfits for the dudes.

Niitris

Normal outfits are good... the colors make them look boring. Idk, defined color schemes can make a character look that much more interesting.

I do.

I want them more than anything.

I don't think so, if they did not want those outfits they would not have bought them.
I mean that how can it be a fair comparison when they barely release any male outfits at all.

Also, one thing people seem to be missing is that they didn't say that the other outfits aren't selling, just that the swimsuits are selling more in the west than they anticipated based on fan feedback.

When I said normal I didn't necessarily mean t-shirt and jeans type deal. Just something that suits the character in the vein of their default outfit.
There is a lot of room for sexy looks even in that constraint.

This is such a strange notion to me. You're pretty much saying that a woman looks boring if they're fully clothed.

Generally, yes.
Tina in her everyday clothes (with the beanie etc) looks completely boring and unremarkable when compared to Tina in her rare USA swimsuit, from my perspective.

The market wants what it wants ;)
I love Baymans military outfits. I just wish he was less boring and as much fun to play as Bass is.

Skilletor

Generally, yes.
Tina in her everyday clothes (with the beanie etc) looks completely boring and unremarkable when compared to Tina in her rare USA swimsuit, from my perspective.

Whatever, man. lol. Women don't have to be wearing v-strings to be attractive or "remarkable."

The market wants what it wants ;)
I love Baymans military outfits. I just wish he was less boring and as much fun to play as Bass is.

How can you say what the market wants of there are no other alternatives offered? There is no comparison to be had here. The majority of the outfits being made are swimsuits or skimpy clothing. They sell because that's what is made. Not regular outfits, not outfits for men. Just the shit that perpetuates the DoA fanbase.

Whatever, man. lol. Women don't have to be wearing v-strings to be attractive or "remarkable."

Whatever, man. lol.
Lets just agree to disagree.

How can you say what the market wants of there are no other alternatives offered? There is no comparison to be had here. The majority of the outfits being made are swimsuits or skimpy clothing. They sell because that's what is made. Not regular outfits, not outfits for men. Just the shit that perpetuates the DoA fanbase.

I think there are lots of non-skimpy outfits for people to buy.
Tina, Christie and Lisas rares are what I consider to be skimpy and most of the other swimsuits dont approach that level of skin anyway, IMO.
Its too bad we cant see the individual sales figures for each DLC pack.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The 'normalcy' of Hitomi is actually what makes her really attractive in my eyes.

Although of course I won't complain if she gets more exotic costumes. Her new hairstyle makes her so adorable-looking though goddamn.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Speak for yourself. The dirth of outfits for the males is a crime.

They need to be sexed up just as much as the females. Equal Opportunity Fanservice.

Speak for yourself. The dirth of outfits for the males is a crime.

They need to be sexed up just as much as the females. Equal Opportunity Fanservice.

Imo, it's a little harder to be "creative" with male characters outfits I think and I really don't think the demand is there like the females. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing more outfits for the males also, but the ones they have now are good enough so far. I think the swimsuits for the guys are probably as sexed up as they are going to get for now.

Imo, it's a little harder to be "creative" with male characters outfits I think and I really don't think the demand is there like the females. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing more outfits for the males also, but the ones they have now are good enough so far. I think the swimsuits for the guys are probably as sexed up as they are going to get for now.
It's not hard to be creative for the guys. All it takes is a bit of effort, there is tons of stuff they could do. And some of the most used characters in the game are men, so of course there is a demand.

Plus, the MMA gear are not swimsuits. That's something they could start with right there.

Dantis

Kokoro's halloween outfit is the second worst one so far. Kasumi's is still the worst.

New stage looks neat. It had best be free.

EDIT: Famitsu costumes are this week's DLC. Fuck. Wonder when EU will get them? :(

Loona

Of couse the bikinis and sexy outfits will sell well when the series has adquired a reputation for that sort of thing over the years - but it's not like they're saying that the other stuff isn't selling at all, just less - they're not providing numbers, so it's hard to compare, and Kotaku comments on what little it knows in its sensationalistic way.

During the vanilla DoA5 days I sort of made a point of buying some non-"sexy" oufits I found cool to encourage them to keep making more (team plain clothes here) and help even the numbers.
I'm still annoyed the Bass-like suit for Mila couldn't be separated from a couple of other suits I would have never bought otherwise, but at least it seems nowadays the new suits can be bought individually, so there's less of a risk of sending mixed messages with your money.

Speaking of outfits, it'd be kinda cool if they gave all other ninjas their own version of Hayabusa's look.

Top Bottom