• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Kumubou

The Lorelei stage barely looks better than the DOA3 version. They could definitely use some of that next-gen power to bring the stages up to par with the character models.
It wouldn't surprise me if the assets were ripped straight from DoA3 and basically treated like an HD port. The other two stages from DoA3 (the forest with the magnetized trees and the stage with all of the tiny islands) look like HD up-ports from a X360 game circa 2006.

Blueblur1

I don't think there are noticeable differences between the 2 versions afaik. But PS3 usually gets the patches faster than 360 I think.

I assume PS3 version will have larger online population since PS3 version has the free core fighter edition while 360 don't.

Some of these costumes are so goddamn revealing. To top themself I'm expecting duck tape or leaf covering privates DLC in the future.

360 version runs slightely better and has minor frame rate advantage, may not be noticeable but still an advantage. I'd go for that one for purchase and PS3 for F2P version.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm downloading the F2P version right now. Been wanting to get the full retail game but I don't want to spend $40 after buying OG DOA 5 at $60. :p

The Lorelei stage barely looks better than the DOA3 version. They could definitely use some of that next-gen power to bring the stages up to par with the character models.

Abso-bloody-lutely. Some of the stages look like such an eye-sore with the jaggies and low rez texture.

I know! I can't believe that the consoles can't push more details than this on the backgrounds, compared to other games with huge environments.

I hope Tecmo keep up the steam and release DoA games more often. I'd love a next gen version.

Loona

Didn't know that. Then again I haven't played that much tag and when I do stage select I almost always pick random so I wouldn't have even noticed a few stages being missing from the rotation lol

I noticed it yesterday when I was playing arcade mode to unlock outfits in the free version - I really wanted to see Lorelei manor and enjoy the music, but it wouldn't appear since I was using tag mode to unlock stuff for Tina and Hitomi at once.

Later I messed around with training mode a bit, and noticed that unlocking some of the other more recent stages, specific to Ultimate/Core, require hundreds of online games, but when I ran searches, zilch... maybe some other time.

Also, for a while I thought they'd drop Tina's winning animation where the camera cofuses on her ass, and got hopeful they'd drop that embarassment, but eventually it did show up...

I would love to see DOA6 next generation, but I hope it is coming in a respectable time frame, especially since it took DOA5 like 7 years to finally materialize.

I would love to see DOA6 next generation, but I hope it is coming in a respectable time frame, especially since it took DOA5 like 7 years to finally materialize.

DoA5's sales figures will probably determine how quickly we see DoA6, next gen.
I wonder how DoA5U sold and how much the DLC makes for TN?

I'd really like some cool new stages, like the Las Vegas strip from DoA4. It would also be cool with some weather effects and having the ability to choose time of the day to play on each stage.

I'd love to be able to customize clothes, accessories, hair and colours on the costumes and save them. It would also be great to have the random filter to filter out characters and stages to work in single player games too.

thejpfin

Is Friday, good day for a Gaf-lobby eh? Last week gaf-lobby I was using Intimate Ayane, but now is time for a Fairy Ayane. Gotta love Ayane hahah.

ShinMaruku

Good matches ya got much better. Now I have to relearn some of the combos I been flakin on. I finally got to rank D- after much half assing.

Skilletor

DOA6 would be sweet but I'd rather a new IP or NG4 from TN first. I really hope they have already begun next gen development.

I have no faith in an NG4 from these people. I wouldn't mind a new fighting game IP, but I don't think I trust them with any other genre.

ShinMaruku

The same team behind Ninja Gaiden Black is the Ninja Gaiden 3 people. NG2-3 were a philosophy piece from them. They can make good a good one if they focus on making it good. The fighting game system they have shows they can make great combat. But I am sure there will be a Next gen DOA coming soon. They can sell even more pretty outfits to dress their girls in.

Good matches ya got much better. Now I have to relearn some of the combos I been flakin on. I finally got to rank D- after much half assing.

Thanks mate, but you're definitely still ahead of me. I rely on the same moves a bit too much and need to learn to chain some good combos together myself.

One bad thing is that because I'm on Core Fighters, I can only choose certain opponents to fight against in training (the ninjas and whoever else is free currently). I fucking hate Rachel and Helena and got done in by a few of them in ranked today but I can't choose them to practice holding their moves. Need to block more, I guess.

I really wish I could get above the level I'm at right now. I definitely feel like a C rank player and can't see myself ever getting to B unless I really put a lot of time in. Wish I had some pros to teach me lol.

Skilletor

The same team behind Ninja Gaiden Black is the Ninja Gaiden 3 people. NG2-3 were a philosophy piece from them. They can make good a good one if they focus on making it good. The fighting game system they have shows they can make great combat. But I am sure there will be a Next gen DOA coming soon. They can sell even more pretty outfits to dress their girls in.

You sure about that? Didn't Itagaki take a ton of people with him from Team Ninja?

In any case, their more recent efforts in the genre do not inspire future confidence. I'd rather they continue making games I will definitely play over games I might.

Thanks mate, but you're definitely still ahead of me. I rely on the same moves a bit too much and need to learn to chain some good combos together myself.

One bad thing is that because I'm on Core Fighters, I can only choose certain opponents to fight against in training (the ninjas and whoever else is free currently). I fucking hate Rachel and Helena and got done in by a few of them in ranked today but I can't choose them to practice holding their moves. Need to block more, I guess.

I really wish I could get above the level I'm at right now. I defnitely feel like a C rank player and can't see myself ever getting to B unless I really put a lot of time in. Wish I had some pros to teach me lol.

Rachel got nerfed really hard in this patch.

ShinMaruku

Itagaiki took at most 15 people with him. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 team was the Ninja Giaden Black team. Hayashi is the AI guy and several other key guys are still there. The difference is Itagaki was less about his ideas on how the game was and how the systems worked.

Funny thing is DOA4 was ass because Itagaki had way too much input. He did not care to understand what the players wanted. Also he hated fighting games DOA4 was trying to tie a action game into a fighting game without balancing it well.

The day Hayashi stops his "Easy" thing the games will right themselves. I love both NG and DOA so I'd hope they'd continue on with both.

Endo Punk

I really wish I could get above the level I'm at right now. I defnitely feel like a C rank player and can't see myself ever getting to B unless I really put a lot of time in. Wish I had some pros to teach me lol.

Play survival and hope you get Rachel.

I'm anywhere between an F and a C to B rank player and that goes for pretty much every fighting game. One sec I'm like "yeah I got this" and the next, "what is happening, what's in my hand with the buttons!?" lol. Not consistent enough to ever be in a tournament.

Itagaiki took at most 15 people with him. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 team was the Ninja Giaden Black team. Hayashi is the AI guy and several other key guys are still there. The difference is Itagaki was less about his ideas on how the game was and how the systems worked.

Funny thing is DOA4 was ass because Itagaki had way too much input. He did not care to understand what the players wanted. Also he hated fighting games DOA4 was trying to tie a action game into a fighting game without balancing it well.

The day Hayashi stops his "Easy" thing the games will right themselves. I love both NG and DOA so I'd hope they'd continue on with both.

Itagaki definitely put NG on the map but he really didn't get fighting games and was definitely holding DOA back, not to mention preventing the franchise from having more than one new entry in a generation. We wouldn't have gotten DOA5 until XB1 if he was still on board.

Hiyashi definitely needs to stop watering down the NG games though. NG3 and imo that zombie slaying one is not doing it any favors. I still want to believe TN has it in them to make a game worthy of NGB but like you said they need to going the easy route and support the fanbase like they have done very well with DOA5.

Niitris

I'm sure they can still make a good NG game, they just took the game the wrong direction.
Nothing that can't be fixed with a philosophy change. I don't think they can make a masterpiece, but a change in mentality should make it good at the very least.

However, I'm very excited about DoA's future. Now with the arcade release, players will compel TN to give the game the refinements needed to an already decently good system. If they keep the game's flavor going forward, I think DoA can give Tekken a run for it's money in the U.S. at least.

Also, I got called in for work, so it looks like I won't be playing today. :(
Maybe tomorrow.

benzy

Doesn't matter if it's partially the same team. Hayashi is a terrible action game designer (from pacing, combat design, AI, enemy balance, enemy design, to enemy encounters with those boring waves and waves of enemies) and as long as he's their leader making the calls, Ninja Gaiden isn't going to be the same. The problem isn't just the combat or the game being designed with "easy" in mind, NG3 was actually a pretty difficult game. They can try to copy the old combat mechanics, which they just basically did with Razor's Edge - and it's still a game in the shadows of NG1 and 2, but there's a lot more to what made Ninja Gaiden than its battle system. We've already heard Hayashi say it's the same team making the game and TN's dna is still there, and yet the result of that was Ninja Gaiden 3, so I'm not going to be optimistic just to disappoint myself when NG4 rolls around. There are a few Itagaki haters who just don't want to believe him and his colleague's had a huge role in what made NG great.

In other news, I got the halloween dlc from Tecmo's twitter!

benzy

Hayashi was the NG1 AI director and NGS1-2 was great. Don't go and call him terrible he just had some weird ideas. :p

He was the lead AI programmer on NG1... having to report to Itagaki. Itagaki himself personally programmed and tweaked the AI design on one of the best boss fights, Alma.

In the Sigma games, they're basically the same original game with some added "weird ideas" that even sometimes made the games worse compared to the original. =P

I guess we'll just have to wait for NG4 to see if you're right about Hayashi. So... I won't argue anymore. :)

ShinMaruku

You guys put way too much in the heads and not their philosophies. But indeed they have another chance.

But anyhow seeing what changed from DOA5 to DOA5u I am very much impressed what they could do with some proper play testing. I just hope what they learned from these interactions they have with some good players can be expanded upon on the next gen. Because the alpha versions to DOA5U has really changed.

I need to find if there are some good Ayane option selects like she had in 2.

gaf lobby
gaf lobbee
gaff robbee

'Member, I'm in UK so might be better if someone else makes the room this time, if it means possibly less lag.

Pimpbaa

Is it me or is the AI varying for some of the characters? I mean some characters like Jacky feel like they are a few difficulties up from the difficulty I selected. He reverses every punch in easier modes, whereas most of the other characters hardly reverse anything. He also seems way more aggressive to the point of being unfair. Gen Fu is another whose AI seems way higher than others. I'm not even going to talk about Alpha 152. They seem to always end my run in survival mode.

Pimpbaa

Isn't the AI a con anyway, because it just reads your inputs so much?

Probably, but like I said for the characters I mentioned they are above the difficulty level I selected. Maybe Alpha is just hard because she is a boss character, but the shit Jacky pulls is utter bullshit (and to a lesser extent Gen Fu). It's like someone at Team Ninja has a hardon for Jacky and didn't want people beating him so easily.

ShinMaruku

GGS to all on the gaf lobby. I added somebody who's a tourney player to show you guys how it's done. You have to play safe and throw punish to beat him.

Skilletor

GGS to all on the gaf lobby. I added somebody who's a tourney player to show you guys how it's done. You have to play safe and throw punish to beat him.

Yeah, this is ridiculously hard to do online. :(

DoA online is a very different game even under good connections.

Probably, but like I said for the characters I mentioned they are above the difficulty level I selected. Maybe Alpha is just hard because she is a boss character, but the shit Jacky pulls is utter bullshit (and to a lesser extent Gen Fu). It's like someone at Team Ninja has a hardon for Jacky and didn't want people beating him so easily.

Jacky is just a spammy character with the AI with relatively fast attacks. He also has a move that autoparries high punches when he's neutral. I don't think it's different, he's just a more difficult character to fight.

Yuripaw

Banned
Can someone help me understand all the DLC available for this game? There are so many costumes, and so many ways that they are bundled, that I am not what includes what sometimes. I'm not even sure what I already own.

I'm looking at my download list on PSN right now, and from the original DOA5 release I already own the following:

Dead or Alive 5 Angels
Dead or Alive® 5 Player's Swimwear Set
Dead or Alive® 5 First Time Pack
Dead or Alive® 5 Round 2 Costumes - Full Set
Dead or Alive® 5 Round 3 Costumes - Full Set
Dead or Alive® 5 Round 5 Costumes - Full Set
Dead or Alive® 5 DOATEC Divas
Dead or Alive® 5 Devils

That's it. Let's just say hypothetically I wanted to buy all the DLC I don't have, what is there, and what bundles would I buy?

Pimpbaa

Jacky is just a spammy character with the AI with relatively fast attacks. He also has a move that autoparries high punches when he's neutral. I don't think it's different, he's just a more difficult character to fight.

I just tried this in training mode. Set opponent to just do high punches and just watched Jacky auto parry. What a fucking bullshit move!

Top Bottom