• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think those came as part of Warriors Orochi 3 ultimate, which we don't have yet. Hopefully we get them before WO3U releases.

Right, they did- and that game has not been announced for the U.S.

The U.S. and Japanese DOA5 games can't share the same DLC, unfortunately, or I'd already have those outfits- they came free with Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate. It's been fun using an all Ninja Gaiden/DOA team in that game. :)

For the little tourney, I'm thinking maybe Friday at 7pm EST/GMT 0:00/4pm PST or 9pm/GMT 2:00/6pm PST. I'm thinking the former would be fair. Maybe even at 6.

Fraeon

So how busy is this game on PSN and how good is the netcode? I tried finding a game just now and couldn't find anything but granted it's 1AM here in GMT+3 land.

Hubb

I don't have problems finding games and or lobbies, but I did have a problem not so long ago. I had to forward some ports and that fixed it for the most part. That being said, the time of day does have some impact.

Oh, and also if you are going straight for rank matches make sure you don't set your search too strictly.

Mesharey

Azuardo, my friend invited you by mistake but it was so much fun. :D
Your Kasumi is a lot better than the last time we played, you're doing full combos after the CB now. XD
And those annoying flips when we're down. :p

Azuardo, my friend invited you by mistake but it was so much fun. :D
Your Kasumi is a lot better than the last time we played, you're doing full combos after the CB now. XD
And those annoying flips when we're down. :p

Haha I had no idea who it was but accepted anyway. It was fun! Always interesting playing tough opponents to see how they do things, but god, it's such a slap in the face lol.
Thanks for the words! Does mean a lot to hear people say I've got better. It's just that next step up again that I'm looking for and can't quite manage.
Ahh those flips. Everyone loves those :p

Fess

I just tried the free DOA5 Ultimate Core Fighters, thinking it was a regular demo, and I'm simply blown away from how awesome this is! :D

How are they making money from this?
I know you can buy costumes and characters, but you don't have to buy a lot to have content rivaling a standard game.
I've been playing through the arcade mode in different difficulty unlocking costumes and getting titles etc for the last 4 hours and I've only really focused on two characters yet, and it's all free. And all characters are there as my opponents from the look of it too, not like a demo where there is usually just two different characters shown. This is amazing really. I can check out the characters I'm fighting against and buy the ones I like. Hope this method spreads to other fighting games too, I never play with all characters anyway, if I do it's only to unlock stuff.

I just tried the free DOA5 Ultimate Core Fighters, thinking it was a regular demo, and I'm simply blown away from how awesome this is! :D

How are they making money from this?
I know you can buy costumes and characters, but you don't have to buy a lot to have content rivaling a standard game.
I've been playing through the arcade mode in different difficulty unlocking costumes and getting titles etc for the last 4 hours and I've only really focused on two characters yet, and it's all free. And all characters are there as my opponents from the look of it too, not like a demo where there is usually just two different characters shown. This is amazing really. I can check out the characters I'm fighting against and buy the ones I like. Hope this method spreads to other fighting games too, I never play with all characters anyway, if I do it's only to unlock stuff.
Yep, people bitch about F2P but Team Ninja is going about this the right way. I wish more people would take notice of exactly how Core Fighters does it and show that F2P done in this way is good for a fighter.

Costumes and characters - that's exactly how they're making money from it. People that really want the retail game will buy that, but others will d/l CF and then buy their fave characters and costumes.

Frankly, I don't think CF should be just in the demos section. It really should be getting more exposure elsewhere in the store. It's hardly a demo at all - it's very much an entire game.

Will have to check EU store again. Was just shoved under demos last I checked. I think it had a front page slot on the JP store and on another page too. I told someone on my friends list to d/l it the other week because it's free, and when I told him to go to the demos section he was like "Oh it's a demo?" Even though I explained that it wasn't, he didn't d/l it -_-

Fess

Yep, people bitch about F2P but Team Ninja is going about this the right way. I wish more people would take notice of exactly how Core Fighters does it and show that F2P done in this way is good for a fighter.

Costumes and characters - that's exactly how they're making money from it. People that really want the retail game will buy that, but others will d/l CF and then buy their fave characters and costumes.
Yup. Best idea ever for this genre imo.
Great looking game btw. Easily the best looking fighter this gen, the stuff that goes on in the arenas and the interactivity makes every other fighter extremely stale in comparison. Team Ninja did lots of things wrong this gen but they certainly did it right with this game. Only complaints I have is the clipping on some costumes and a few blurry textures. Everything else it top-notch. The new character design is fantastic too even though it's a bit too much fan service on the costumes at times, I'm more into Rachel's office suit/dress than the bunny bikini stuff etc.

What dlc is recommended?
Is the story mode good?
Best characters? Going by what I've seen so far, my favorites: Akira, Rachel, Jacky, Helena mostly because I had lots of trouble beating them at the higher difficulties. Sarah was touch too. Lots if VF characters, for some reason they seemed nearly impossible to defeat with offensive mashing, I had to really focus and act more defensive.

Mesharey

Story mode allows you to use many characters, I think it's good but don't take it seriously, it's worth buying especially you can use many characters and you can finish it in 4-5 hours, but you can't use VF characters, Leon, Ein, Momiji, Rachel, Lisa and Christie.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DOA5U's F2P is the best model out there. Tekken Revolution may offer everything free with microtransactions, but lacks basic things like an offline versus mode.

Fess

Story mode allows you to use many characters, I think it's good but don't take it seriously, it's worth buying especially you can use many characters and you can finish it in 4-5 hours, but you can't use VF characters, Leon, Ein, Momiji, Rachel, Lisa and Christie.
You mean that I get more characters unlocked to use anywhere I want in the game or just for Story mode?

I downloaded free costumes for Ayane and Kasumi btw, costume catalog 02, but I don't see them anywhere? What am I doing wrong?

You mean that I get more characters unlocked to use anywhere I want in the game or just for Story mode?

I downloaded free costumes for Ayane and Kasumi btw, costume catalog 02, but I don't see them anywhere? What am I doing wrong?

No, you don't unlock characters. You just get to play as many different characters in the story mode.

The free catalogues aren't costumes. They just allow the costumes to appear on your characters and opponents. If you didn't download catalogue 2 for example, you wouldn't see your online opponents using those costumes online - they'd just appear in their default outfits.

I think the only free costume right now is the Ragnarok Odyssey ACE one for Kasumi.

Fess

No, you don't unlock characters. You just get to play as many different characters in the story mode.

The free catalogues aren't costumes. They just allow the costumes to appear on your characters and opponents. If you didn't download catalogue 2 for example, you wouldn't see your online opponents using those costumes online - they'd just appear in their default outfits.

I think the only free costume right now is the Ragnarok Odyssey ACE one for Kasumi.
Aha thanks.
I tried select the ACE costume too but I can't find it :/

DOA5U's F2P is the best model out there. Tekken Revolution may offer everything free with microtransactions, but lacks basic things like an offline versus mode.

I agree that DOA5U: CF has the best F2P model and if fighters are going to use F2P, this one did it right actually. What REALLY hurts Tekken Revolution for me is the limited playtime. 5 times for online vs and 2 times for arcade is simply not enough for a fighting game where matches typically end fairly quick, especially if you are new to the game or terrible at it. It isn't like you are playing something like COD where the matches can last 10 minutes on average.

Vade

Can we just go with say 7:00 pm EST which is 11:00: p.m. GMT. So it is moderately fair to our Euro friends? Really want to play but no use if we just all sit around for hours.

Can we just go with say 7:00 pm EST which is 11:00: p.m. GMT. So it is moderately fair to our Euro friends? Really want to play but no use if we just all sit around for hours.

It would be midnight in the UK, which is still okay for me. Not sure about if our Finnish friend is okay with that, because it would be 3am for him, I think.

thejpfin

It would be midnight in the UK, which is still okay for me. Not sure about if our Finnish friend is okay with that, because it would be 3am for him, I think.

Well is friday and I have no work tomorrow, yeah is okay for me.
Who is gonna be the host for this tournament?

What Azuardo pointed out is the problem. I don't want to leave someone that wants to participate out. But I think there's no choice but to go with 7pm.

So 7pm it is.

Well is friday and I have no work tomorrow, yeah is okay for me.
Who is gonna be the host for this tournament?
Probably me. Since I don't get to fight, I'll get to see you guys struggle with the lag :D But I should probably match Europeans folks with each other and NA folks with each other. Probably will help.

xion4360

Probably me. Since I don't get to fight, I'll get to see you guys struggle with the lag :D But I should probably match Europeans folks with each other and NA folks with each other. Probably will help.

that might just mean a grand finale with someone in EU vs someone in east coast US....if you do start up with same region matchups, mix it up soon after so we dont save the lag for more important matches

Curious to how we go about this. Is it just gonna be set up in Tournament mode in a lobby?

We have 10 people right now, and I noticed that one person will have an easy route to the final over every one else. They would play 1 match and be in the final, but the others would need more matches.

What if someone else joins to make uneven numbers?

Or are we just gonna shuffle it and whoever gets an easier route gets it, and just deal with it? lol

Curious to how we go about this. Is it just gonna be set up in Tournament mode in a lobby?

We have 10 people right now, and I noticed that one person will have an easy route to the final over every one else. They would play 1 match and be in the final, but the others would need 2 matches.

What if someone else joins to make uneven numbers?

Or are we just gonna shuffle it and whoever gets an easier route gets it, and just deal with it? lol
Tournament mode is single elimination, I like to do double to give people a second chance. 3 rounds, 60 seconds each. But then time might be an issue.

I just saw that but...I think we just gotta deal with it. Right now, it's setup like this:
http://challonge.com/gafdoa5
So the matches will be:
So A->B->D->F-> C->E->etc. I know Xion is good at this game so I wanted him to face more people than the others lol

Someone else joins or doesn't show up, I'll join to make it even. Don't expect much from though since I haven't played this game in a long time lol.

After 4 hours and 15 minutes? :p

xion4360 might win it again, we need Skilletor. :p
In 4 hours and 6 minutes, yes.

All bets on Xion but it would be nice to see if someone can eliminate him. Skilletor would have probably done that. I remember Pupil doing pretty well against him.

Wait, are sets just one match or 2 out of 3?
I don't remember if we did 2 out of 3, I know we did it in the finals last year. I would say 2 out of 3 but worried about the time again.

xion4360

I havent been playing against people for a while now (have work and other games) so there's a good chance Im too rusty atm.

Top Bottom