• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Is Mesh from the UK?

You have to be careful with buying PSN cards because they are country specific. A UK £ PSN card won't work on a French PS3 that uses € in its Store.

thejpfin

It was pretty fun tournament, GG all. Had to leave after my second fight with Azuardo, so didn't get to see late tournament matches. Anyone got those replays and uploaded those to youtube or something?

It was pretty fun tournament, GG all. Had to leave after my second fight with Azuardo, so didn't get to see late tournament matches. Anyone got those replays and uploaded those to youtube or something?

I'm uploading the two fights between us two. I only have that one win I got out of Xion and my last loss I got from him, too.

Mesharey

ZeroWhiteRei saved my matches against him (winners final?), too bad I forgot to save any match, he will upload them.
If anyone saved a match upload it.

Azuardo
My store is UK. @@

Dantis

In case anyone thought it was over there's at least one more DLC pack coming soon. Anywhere between 12-18 costumes

Hmm? How do you know?

I mean, I believe you. I imagine they'll release a good few costumes over the next few months, I'm just curious.

Is Mesh from the UK?

You have to be careful with buying PSN cards because they are country specific. A UK £ PSN card won't work on a French PS3 that uses € in its Store.
Thanks for letting me know. GAME cancelled my orders though. Don't know why unless they can't sell digital cards to foreigners. :\ I'll figure it later out today. Probably have to resort to ebay or something

Mesharey

Here are some videos, Zero uploaded these matches in my account:

ZeroWhiteRei vs ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWuZBdEc3to&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Winner's semi finals
ZeroWhiteRei (Eliot) vs Kumubou (LeiFang)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve95MoDNHrQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ZeroWhiteRei (Eliot) vs Kumubou (LeiFang)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHMi6sVodsg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Winner's finals
ZeroWhiteRei (Eliot) vs Mesharey (Ayane)
Match 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wRLrghVb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Match 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHfdx_yiIzg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Match 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFsblsWSDEw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I didn't save any match. ~_~

Memento
There's no need really, if you insist I wouldn't mind a US card.

Endo Punk

No offense guys but the tourno setting really messed with my mojo :p When it started I I was like speedy gonzalrs and then I just turned into droopy dog. The wait really ruins it for me, I prefer normal style fights :p It was fun chatting though. And congrats Mesh.

thejpfin

I didn't save any match. ~_~
Same, maybe I should have.
I have HD capture card, but as a lazy person I didn't even think that I could record those matches in HD, sorry. Maybe next time I remember to record Gaf lobby/tournament and make a Gaf DoA compilation vid. lol

But thanks to you guys for saving replays and uploading matches to youtube.

Squire

Banned
VJ7DZl1.jpg

xfjgBjD.jpg

pH4rraY.jpg

CBxxvSO.jpg

5RfswxA.jpg

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/shop/doa/

xion4360

A poster is a poster and a wall scroll is a wall scroll.. if the difference is that negligibly to you then you didnt even need to bother with the reply.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If the difference in vocabulary means that much, then both of you are wrong- the product description lists them as tapestries. ;P

ShinAmano

OI need help.

I am trying to finish the tutorial and I am stuck on two:

13.1 - Critical Burst + Power Blow
31.1 - Stopping a Chain

I honestly have no clue what to do on these...advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

OI need help.

I am trying to finish the tutorial and I am stuck on two:

13.1 - Critical Burst + Power Blow
31.1 - Stopping a Chain

I honestly have no clue what to do on these...advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Completely off memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I think the Tutorial is using Hitomi but I'm not sure what her commands are, so just gonna use Kasumi as an example.

To critical burst, you wanna hit the opponent with different attacks until they get 'Critical Stagger' appearing in red on their side of the screen, then use your critical burst attack on them (for Kasumi it is Forward+P+K / 6+P+K). Whilst they are staggered you need to quickly charge up your Power Blow (Kasumi is 4+P+K) and unleash it on them before their critical stun ends. You can't charge it up for too long; it's literally charge it, then let go as soon as it starts the charge to ensure it connects.

Stopping a chain... I think this one is hit a couple of punches, press Hold, then continue punching. So, P, P, H, P. Pressing H breaks the chain, I guess, though I'm not sure of the significance of it. In real fights, I always thought just not pressing the third P again by delaying the input would have the same effect. Would be good if someone could clear that up for me.

Hope that helps somewhat.

ShinAmano

Completely off memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I think the Tutorial is using Hitomi but I'm not sure what her commands are, so just gonna use Kasumi as an example.

To critical burst, you wanna hit the opponent with different attacks until they get 'Critical Stagger' appearing in red on their side of the screen, then use your critical burst attack on them (for Kasumi it is Forward+P+K / 6+P+K). Whilst they are staggered you need to quickly charge up your Power Blow (Kasumi is 4+P+K) and unleash it on them before their critical stun ends. You can't charge it up for too long; it's literally charge it, then let go as soon as it starts the charge to ensure it connects.

Stopping a chain... I think this one is hit a couple of punches, press Hold, then continue punching. So, P, P, H, P. Pressing H breaks the chain, I guess, though I'm not sure of the significance of it. In real fights, I always thought just not pressing the third P again by delaying the input would have the same effect. Would be good if someone could clear that up for me.

You are right on the description of 13.1 but I have no clue how to do that with hitomi :(

You are right on the description of 13.1 but I have no clue how to do that with hitomi :(

Checked online and it seems to be the same inputs for Hitomi.

CB = 6+P+K
PB = 4+P+K

If you go to character select screen in Versus or whatever, it will tell you the inputs if you hover over her.

ShinAmano

Checked online and it seems to be the same inputs for Hitomi.

CB = 6+P+K
PB = 4+P+K

If you go to character select screen in Versus or whatever, it will tell you the inputs if you hover over her.

Hmm...it seems to whiff...am I not doing it quick enough?

Edit...got it...seemed to need a couple more hits to stagger after the 6P+K.

Thank you!

It's the same as a VF method of pressing G during a string to cancel the input buffer for the string you're using. If you press PP then delay and P again you will get the PPP string but with a delay on the 3rd P in the string. If you do PPHP then you get the first two punches then the third punch will start a new P string instead of getting the third P in the normal PPP string. It's actually important in both games for some combos because some strings allow you to delay a hit long enough that just a delay will still do the next attack in the string. Keep in mind that this is different from Hold/Guard canceling some moves (like kick strings).

Short version: it clears the input buffer from your previous attacks so you can stop mid-string and start another string with the same button.

It's the same as a VF method of pressing G during a string to cancel the input buffer for the string you're using. If you press PP then delay and P again you will get the PPP string but with a delay on the 3rd P in the string. If you do PPHP then you get the first two punches then the third punch will start a new P string instead of getting the third P in the normal PPP string. It's actually important in both games for some combos because some strings allow you to delay a hit long enough that just a delay will still do the next attack in the string. Keep in mind that this is different from Hold/Guard canceling some moves (like kick strings).

Short version: it clears the input buffer from your previous attacks so you can stop mid-string and start another string with the same button.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I don't think so. :/
Why?

Thanks Memento for the code.

Who's up for another tournament?
Next Friday (or any day) same time.
The winner gets $20 US card or PS plus if he's from UK.

I really only want to know what Rachel's "Use 1000 times" is. I'm working towards it.

thejpfin

Why?

Sure, but can we make next tournament EU timezone friendly this time, because previous tournament was slightly bad for EU peeps. Not complaining, it was still fun.

Mesharey

Sure, but can we make next tournament EU timezone friendly this time, because previous tournament was slightly bad for EU peeps. Not complaining, it was still fun.
How's 9:15 PM GMT?
That's the earliest time I can do, I finish work at 9 PM.

Azuardo
Let's have fun. XD

Why?

I'd love to do another tournament, I thought the last one was a lot of fun. Hopefully we can do it at a better time for everybody though because a lot of you guys missed the after party which is the best part.

Mesharey

Sure.

Let's use Memento's methoed (if he doesn't mind), might be easier (quote to reveal) :
[EMAIL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArSwYclZe18OdFNrMU13SndYZUlFLXBhLVg1a3Zma2c#gid=0][/EMAIL]

Sure.

Let's use Memento methoed (if he doesn't mind), might be easier (quote to reveal) :
[EMAIL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArSwYclZe18OdFNrMU13SndYZUlFLXBhLVg1a3Zma2c#gid=0][/EMAIL]

Edit: Or not, just post here please, I don't know how to use that sheet. >.>
Sorry, I made it private after it was over. Should be good now.

Mesharey

Please write in the sheet your preferred time. :)

10 pm or 11 pm GMT is good for me, it will be late here so let's see if it's good for others.

Just signed up. Just a heads up though, I'll be busy on saturday so if it happens then I won't be able to make it

edit - Looks like Friday's gonna be busy for me too, so if the tournament happens on either of those days then play on without me

Mesharey

Well, it seems Friday is not good for me too, I can any other day.
Choose any day you want until 7/11 (write in sheet please), in 8/11 I will start night shift at work for a week so I can't after this date for a week.

Got smashed tonight by a Momiji player.
That damn sweep of hers has good range and ducks mid attacks. Couldnt do anything, when I blocked it at range.

edit: I was using Rachel :/

Discussion time!

Since I missed out on DOA 1, 3 and 4, are the Critical Bursts/Launchers and the Power Blows some of the most unique additions to the series? Has there been anything else majorly different that's been added to the series over time? As far as I'm aware, teleporting was added to Kasumi's game in DOA5, too (correct me if I'm wrong), so that seems like a substantial moveset change (again, argue otherwise).

I'm curious as to what could happen with DOA6 with these things in mind. Do you think the CB/Launcher/Power Blows will be a mainstay of DOA now? Has a company ever added such big and unique moves before, only to do away with them completely in the next game? I know Street Fighter tends to have a different style for each numbered entry, but DOA seems to be a different case. But do you think it's entirely possible they would remove these systems entirely from DOA6, or are they here to stay now?

Would love to hear some thoughts from those that have been with this series all the way through, and please detail any other unique changes to movesets or the fighting system in general throughout the series. Since I only played DOA2 and then DOA5/U, the big noticeable changes to me are the CB/Launcher/Power Blow and things like Kasumi's teleporting. Have any other characters received very different movesets over time, and do you think it's possible they could be altered in big ways again for DOA6?

Top Bottom