• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

You never seen the bast fiends...

That's Ninja Gaiden, though...

I dunno, a 13 year old loli doesn't sit right with me in a very adult-like context as DOA. She looks cute and all, and I'll reserve judgement until we (hopefully) get to play as her, but it just "feels" wrong.

New character is creepy as hell on TN's part. I don't trust them not to release swimsuits for her. Gross.

I'd laugh if they just trolled everyone and made this her dlc outfit

knihon2.jpg

Haribo

Banned
Been playing this on PS3 and I love it, although I'm not an expert I have all of the trophies except one: 'Complete all lessons for a character in Combo Challenge'. It's so difficult, my reactions are just not fast enough. Being so close to the Platinum is so frustrating. Which character is easiest to do this with?

Hubb

Yeah that is the trophy I need as well. I think I remember someone said Tina was the easiest, but I imagine this comes down to preference. And maybe if you are a better grappler or not.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Been playing this on PS3 and I love it, although I'm not an expert I have all of the trophies except one: 'Complete all lessons for a character in Combo Challenge'. It's so difficult, my reactions are just not fast enough. Being so close to the Platinum is so frustrating. Which character is easiest to do this with?

I did mine with Rachel, it wasn't super hard from what I remember. If you get stuck, watching YouTube vids of the combo helps. I had a lot more trouble finishing training with Hitomi.

ShinMaruku

That's Ninja Gaiden, though...

I dunno, a 13 year old loli doesn't sit right with me in a very adult-like context as DOA. She looks cute and all, and I'll reserve judgement until we (hopefully) get to play as her, but it just "feels" wrong.

Ayane was in Ninja Gaiden as a 14 year old with DDs I think the fact that she's not having the huge boobs and has a style she fits puts her a bit away from the 'feeling wrong' side for me.

Well, the new character sucks. I guess she is there primarily to get Japanese players to spend their money in Japanese arcades. If it makes the game more popular, then Im for it, but I wont be buying Marie, if she becomes DLC.

Ayane was in Ninja Gaiden as a 14 year old with DDs I think the fact that she's not having the huge boobs and has a style she fits puts her a bit away from the 'feeling wrong' side for me.

Well that's all well and fine, just in my opinion (and many others from the looks of it), this type of character doesn't fit in the DOA universe that we've come to expect. This is pretty out of the blue as far as I'm concerned - throwing a clearly young underage kid in with these adults in a mature-like fighting game. It's just flat out gonna feel wrong to do some of the moves you can do on a little girl like Marirose.

It's just out of character for the DOA world in my opinion - more suited to something like Tekken. I'm just hoping TN doesn't go too far down this Tekken-like route now and start giving us more weird and out-of-place characters. I'm sure some will disagree and want more crazy, but I'm really unsure right now.

She is cute I must admit.....maybe too cute. I have a feeling she was going to be 13-16 years old and then TN chickened out and made her over 18 apparently from what I've heard. Yeah, she sort of reminds me of Rachel Alucard meets Lili meets Misa from Death Note. I'll definitely try her out. Bet she will be speedy and fun. I wouldn't mind seeing an older, mature female character though in DOA5. Like in her 30's or even 40's.

Kumubou

It was obvious even before official confirmation that she's 18+. They didn't change Kasumi and Ayane's ages for nothing. Anyway move along nothing to see here folks.

Oh, fun fact. She's Swedish. DOAD was banned in Sweden because some assfuck complained about Kasumi and Ayane being underage.
She's 18, and I'm the King of England. That's about as creditable as age claims from a random h-doujinshi. I respect the troll with regards to her age and nationality, though.

There's actually one other thing of note: there's a movelist available on the website, as well. Her jab is -5 on block, orz. Lots of unsafe moves on block (barring spacing/knockback, but given her build I doubt she has much of either), but that's pretty standard for DoA. She seems to have a bunch of BT shifts and expert holds, most of which look to give guaranteed followups (although the low punch one doing 30 damage seems wack, since that's less than the normal low punch hold).

ShinMaruku

With this troll I respect TN they knew this reaction. Now they just need to make her fun and keep improving the game and move on.

The more I look at her......yep, she is 13-15 years old. She is awfully small and young looking for an 18+ year old character I think. Even Ayane at 16-17 never looked that young imo.

Hubb

lol. TN have already put her into an outfit that resembles a swimsuit.

Some of you need to be this animated about the girls doing gymnastics in the Olympics. I didn't expect people to go this over the top about the new character haha. I now know to keep my expectations in check.

Some of you need to be this animated about the girls doing gymnastics in the Olympics. I didn't expect people to go this over the top about the new character haha. I now know to keep my expectations in check.

Im pretty indifferent towards her at this point, TBH.
She's not my kind of character design, but I dont think she looks too child-like or creepy either.

Hubb

Im pretty indifferent towards her at this point, TBH.
She's not my kind of character design, but I dont think she looks too child-like or creepy either.

Yeah by quoting you I wasn't trying to single you out in my response. I'm not exactly interested in her character design either. What I am interested in, is TN continuing to support DoA.

The fact that they are still putting out stuff and updating the game at least signals to me that the game is profitable. DoA is one of my guilty pleasures and a damn fun one at that. I want to see the series continue, and I actually like their FP2 model (even though I bought Ultimate).

Some people are just going (imo) over the top with their reactions. Like they are compensating for something or I don't know haha. Just dial it back a notch, it is going to be ok.

Haven't seen any OTT reactions tbh. People being disappointed and not liking the character, sure, but no one swearing and berating TN to hell or anything. If that constitutes OTT to you, though, meh, who am I to argue?

Hubb

Haven't seen any OTT reactions tbh. People being disappointed and not liking the character, sure, but no one swearing and berating TN to hell or anything. If that constitutes OTT to you, though, meh, who am I to argue?

It is mostly people saying they aren't going to play the game anymore if she makes it in the game. It is the same thing as people saying they wont play ff14 since lightning is getting a cameo in it. Not playing a game because a character is in it seems over the top to me. Specially in a fighting game where you can and most people do completely disregard the story and just play versus/online or whatever.

It isn't a ton of people, I just find it funny. There are plenty of things in life to be extremely mad about, this character doesn't seem like one of those things.

It is mostly people saying they aren't going to play the game anymore if she makes it in the game. It is the same thing as people saying they wont play ff14 since lightning is getting a cameo in it. Not playing a game because a character is in it seems over the top to me. Specially in a fighting game where you can and most people do completely disregard the story and just play versus/online or whatever.

It isn't a ton of people, I just find it funny. There are plenty of things in life to be extremely mad about, this character doesn't seem like one of those things.

Oh right, well I definitely haven't seen any of that in this topic. I think we'd all agree that that's going too far, but doesn't seem to be anyone here with that stance.

Is she arcade exclusive?

Yeah, though if the recent post on the official DOA Facebook page is anything to go by, they'll probably look at bringing her to the West as DLC or something.

Fighters! We see that you've discovered our newest character, Marie Rose for the upcoming Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade. Although this game is a JP exclusive title, we haven't forgotten about our overseas fighters in the West. We hope to provide you guys with more information in the near future. But in the meantime, we appreciate your continued support for DOA5 Ultimate. Thanks fighters!

FB post

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The character doesn't look quite as pedo-friendly in those shots, but that last screenshot...uh...maybe not?

I will absolutely take a port of DOA5 Ultimate Arcade Edition on PS4/Xbone, though. The game could benefit from a higher resolution and cleaned-up visuals.

Don't see why neither TN or Namco took advantage of the PS4/XBO launches by making F2P versions of DOA5U and Tekken Rev available. If they could make them cross-playable with PS3 users, that would have significantly boosted the online community. No need for a retail version to begin with - just do F2P and they could get a lot of people playing and some easy DLC income. Then maybe a retail version could come later, and they can chirp away on next gen DOA6 in the meantime.

Maybe DOA5UA will still come to PS4 eventually or something, though. But a shame no fighters apart from Killer Instinct on XBO are available. Could have been an opportunity.

Kumubou

Don't see why neither TN or Namco took advantage of the PS4/XBO launches by making F2P versions of DOA5U and Tekken Rev available. If they could make them cross-playable with PS3 users, that would have significantly boosted the online community. No need for a retail version to begin with - just do F2P and they could get a lot of people playing and some easy DLC income. Then maybe a retail version could come later, and they can chirp away on next gen DOA6 in the meantime.

Maybe DOA5UA will still come to PS4 eventually or something, though. But a shame no fighters apart from Killer Instinct on XBO are available. Could have been an opportunity.
I know Harada has been on record stating that porting the Tekken engine to x86 architecture is a non-trivial task and is not really viable right now (but that was regarding a PC version of TRevo). The arcade version of T6 and TTT2 are on boards derived from the PS3, so that makes sense (the X360 port of T6 had problems as it is). DoA5U is a bit more interesting, since the game has already been ported to x86 architecture for the arcade release, which would then make a PC/PS4/XBone release a lot easier. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a release of DoA5U happened on some of all of those platforms. PS3/PS4/PC crossplay? Yes plz.

Also, that statement from Tecmo's PR sounds like a hilarious "non-confirmation confirmation".

Hubb

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a release of DoA5U happened on some of all of those platforms. PS3/PS4/PC crossplay? Yes plz.

Don't play with my heart. Though I'm 99% sure they wont release it or DoA6 for that matter on PCs. We will see how many more Japanese developed games find themselves on PC.

Top Bottom