• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Maybe a bit unrelated but that Tecmo Bowl game isn't too bad for 99 cents. For better or worse it pretty much plays just like the original. I can't believe they could put out such crappy costumes but still end up with my money.

Hubb

I can't believe they could put out such crappy costumes but still end up with my money.

If I played Kokoro I'd buy her costume. Though she does have some of my favorite base costumes. But yes, I would have loved some more detail and maybe an Ayane costume.

This I absolutely agree with. I've not seen enough push for this AT ALL. It's a full fucking fighting game for FREE and it's just not getting the push it needs or deserves. I checked again on the EU store and the only place Core Fighters is hidden away in is the Demos section - which also gives the wrong impression about it. This is no demo ffs.

I think they at least moved it from demos to the free to play section in the US store, but I literally guarantee that this game would of been approaching at least 1 million downloads if it was more exposed or accessible in the store. A lot of my friends were surprised that it was technically a full game locked away in the demo section of the store. Tecmo or whoever needs to start really pushing this game more. Even if gamers do not particularly care for fighters, people have nothing to lose by downloading it for free at least.

Im really disappointed the F2P version isnt available on XBL.
There would be a few more locals playing, if they could try the game out, Im sure.

I think they at least moved it from demos to the free to play section in the US store, but I literally guarantee that this game would of been approaching at least 1 million downloads if it was more exposed or accessible in the store. A lot of my friends were surprised that it was technically a full game locked away in the demo section of the store. Tecmo or whoever needs to start really pushing this game more. Even if gamers do not particularly care for fighters, people have nothing to lose by downloading it for free at least.

TK Europe had an Ask TKE session on tumblr yesterday, so I took the opportunity to ask them about this.

http://tecmokoeieurope.tumblr.com/post/66099500270/whats-your-take-on-promoting-doa5u-core-fighters

Q: What's your take on promoting DOA5U Core Fighters further? It's a near-full fighting game with the best F2P model but it's hidden away in the Demos section in the EU PS Store, giving the wrong message as to what Core Fighters really is and not giving it any exposure. In order to make more people aware of CF and download it, is there anything TKE can do to push it more? Would it be up to Sony to make it more noticeable in the PS Store too? CF needs all the attention it gets to maximise downloads!

A: Thanks for letting us know! We just checked and we had no idea why SCEE put it in the hidden section. We also found it difficult to explore (also due of so many of its related DLC coming). We will contact them regarding this issue. Thank you so much for this! <3

But obviously that's just the European side of things. TK US doesn't do any of the reaching out to fans that TKE does on twitter/tumblr etc.

TK Europe had an Ask TKE session on tumblr yesterday, so I took the opportunity to ask them about this.

http://tecmokoeieurope.tumblr.com/post/66099500270/whats-your-take-on-promoting-doa5u-core-fighters

But obviously that's just the European side of things. TK US doesn't do any of the reaching out to fans that TKE does on twitter/tumblr etc.

Hey, that's good that you did that. It should get mentioned, especially if Tecmo really want to maximize it's success and popularity. Hopefully, they will do something about it getting some more exposure which will also mean more people to play online.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
These two outfits have optional football helmets. Any other sports outfits get anything extra (besides the typical Team Ninja perv-multi-pantsu)?

P4Zy9a9.jpg

fx8hdFp.jpg

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I can't seem to find these costumes individually on the store. When I go to DOA5's page and sort Add-Ons by release date, the halloween costumes are the most recent ones listed.

Lyte Edge

I can't seem to find these costumes individually on the store. When I go to DOA5's page and sort Add-Ons by release date, the halloween costumes are the most recent ones listed.

Go to the store through the game. The sports outfits and Halloween outfits should be grouped together, along with the required catalogs.

ShinMaruku

What are your thoughts on the bound system guys? I like it myself it allows my tag combos to work as well as my Hitomi and Ayane combos to really have some legs.

Ive only known the bound system from Tekken 6 and I didnt like it. Having someone as big as Marduk bouncing off the ground, looks silly.
I dont like Rachel bouncing people off the ground with her command and air-grab, either. It doesnt suit the DoA5 physics.

VF5 definitly had it first. VF5 originally came out what, Summer of 2005? I don't think Tekken 6.0 came out until sometime in 2007 (it was what, 2 years between arcade and console release? Yikes.)

Also Tekken doesn't really have character weight, so bound is just smacking someone and continuing your juggle across the stage. VF5 you're a lot more limited and the character weight matters more. Slamming, say, Wolf or Jeffrey doesn't result in much more you can do, so you have to pick different combos to use.

I dont like Rachel bouncing people off the ground with her command and air-grab, either. It doesnt suit the DoA5 physics.

This.

Sick of fighting cheap ass Rachels which repeat that move. Incredibly frustrating. Granted, I haven't learnt to put the bounce to use at all, but I really don't like it being used against me. Rachel in particular makes it so cheap. It also looks completely out of place the way characters float in mid-air when it happens too. I guess if I actually learnt to use it myself I wouldn't be so biased against it, but I'm not a fan due to bad experiences and it looking out of place.

Dizzy-4U

Wait, so there are two costume packs: "Complete Sports Gear Costume Set" and "Championship Set + Core Fighters + Tecmo Bowl"

Do they have the same costumes? Why would I buy the first one if Championship has the additional Tecmo Bowl game for the same price?

I'm not a fan how all the DLC is "organized". I'm not always sure if I have the costumes or not.

EDIT: Bought the one that comes with Tecmobowl. It seems it has all the costumes.

ShinMaruku

I have no issue with Rachel or other grapplers grabbing you out the air, it's a good way for them to have garenteed throws. You just have to read these and counter them or stuff them outright.

I think I found my first Ayane option selects but I need more research before I call it that 100%.

I like bounds myself because as a Hitomi player I use some of hers to launch people away. Also in tag it's so sublime. Hit somebody with Ayane's 4K and then launch and finish your combo unhindered.

Here are my Matches I uploaded today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhVsefvbj9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIfTf5IaGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflfZNhvh2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=491GNrqQiW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnHveII8BY

For those wondering how to use bounds watch my third video, my Hitomi lives on them.

Skilletor

This.

Sick of fighting cheap ass Rachels which repeat that move. Incredibly frustrating. Granted, I haven't learnt to put the bounce to use at all, but I really don't like it being used against me. Rachel in particular makes it so cheap. It also looks completely out of place the way characters float in mid-air when it happens too. I guess if I actually learnt to use it myself I wouldn't be so biased against it, but I'm not a fan due to bad experiences and it looking out of place.

lol. Rachel isn't that good, man, especially after the nerf. And you use Kasumi who has FAR better uses of the bound system than Rachel's throw. O.O

lol. Rachel isn't that good, man, especially after the nerf. And you use Kasumi who has FAR better uses of the bound system than Rachel's throw. O.O

Meh, bad experiences, I guess. I'm no pro player really, so haven't learnt to deal with so many things unfortunately, and taken a break from DOA too. Wouldn't know what Kassie's bound moves are tbh.

Skilletor

Meh, bad experiences, I guess. I'm no pro player really, so haven't learnt to deal with so many things unfortunately, and taken a break from DOA too. Wouldn't know what Kassie's bound moves are tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXYFGmosFk

Most of these combos are practical.

Complaining about Rachel when you use Kasumi is just weird to me. ESPECIALLY online where frames don't matter and Kasumi wins just about every neutral situation by default because of her jab.

ShinMaruku

Out range Misty and her jab means jack shit. :E
Also Misty is also very unsafe if you know what to do she's quite beatable. But I can see how some could find Rachel overbearing. Some of those nerfs were needed. Although I had little issue with her before the nerfs.

Later I'll put up a vid with Misty's bounds.

Lyte Edge

Misty is the anglicized version of the name of the Runaway ninja.

To nitpick, "Kasumi" translates to just "mist" or "haze." "Misty" would be "Kasumu," not "Kasumi."

Gonna guess you got that from the name they gave to that Pokemon character? :D

ShinMaruku

To nitpick, "Kasumi" translates to just "mist" or "haze." "Misty" would be "Kasumu," not "Kasumi."

Gonna guess you got that from the name they gave to that Pokemon character? :D

Anglecizing is not just straight translations .
And as for Pokemon Imagine her izuna dropping the leader of the black spider ninja. :E

I just ranked up tonight after being 3 people above my grade. Now at c- probably will sit a B+ for a bit until I get all my frame traps and OSes down. Then S is reachable.
A match I am particularly proud of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWqAQ5rBwQ

Erigu

To nitpick even more, "kasumu" would be the verb ("to be/become misty"). Just "misty" would be... I dunno, "kasunda", for example? Not that it really matters, as neither of those would be used as names anyway, unlike "kasumi"...

DunpealD

What are your thoughts on the bound system guys? I like it myself it allows my tag combos to work as well as my Hitomi and Ayane combos to really have some legs.

I kinda don't like ground bounce, because as others have already said it just looks bad. But if they need to put it in they should just let the VF characters have it, since they're kinda faithfully ported to DoA, including damage at least in the vanilla version.

I'd also prefer if they would reduce the juggling and making combos more ground based as well as reducing the length of combos.

I have no issue with Rachel or other grapplers grabbing you out the air, it's a good way for them to have garenteed throws. You just have to read these and counter them or stuff them outright.

I think I found my first Ayane option selects but I need more research before I call it that 100%.

I like bounds myself because as a Hitomi player I use some of hers to launch people away. Also in tag it's so sublime. Hit somebody with Ayane's 4K and then launch and finish your combo unhindered.

Here are my Matches I uploaded today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhVsefvbj9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIfTf5IaGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflfZNhvh2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=491GNrqQiW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnHveII8BY

For those wondering how to use bounds watch my third video, my Hitomi lives on them.

I can only write about Ayane since she's the only free character in your rotation:

You should think about uploading some of the matches you've lost, if you're not uploading at least watch them. Usually those are more important and have more information for what to refine in your play, since a loss is most of the time a pile of bad habbits or some bad decision making.

I see you like to use 6PP, which is usually unsafe(more than -10 on block). Depending on lag situation you should try to hitconfirm 6P if your opponent blocks you should either delay the follow up P to provoke a counter hit or use the follow up K which hits mid, resets position on hit and is much safer on block (-7 and usually pushes far enough away to prevent throw punish).

In one of your vids I saw you often missing the Face-Backward 6T. In those cases at least try to train your opponent into blocking high otherwise they'll probably just throw some punches out and punish the throw. Establishing the pressure is important if you want to use it. The backward jumping spinning kick is pretty low on block so it should be useful for that unless your opponent can react to it due to the long startup.

In mid range you can try to punish whiffs with 236K. It has a far reach(about 3m) and relatively fast startup with 16 frames. Face-Backward H+K is pretty good as whiff punish too putting them in stun as well, furthermore the follow up K is nice to mix it up in case the first part gets crouched under due to it being a mid attack.

If you're trying to get in in mid range I think 1P+KK(low backward spin into kick) doesn't seem bad it has far reach and is about -5 on block which is safer than either of those mentioned before, but make sure to not use it when your opponent is privy to it with 30 frames startup it can be easy to counter it depending on distance since the P follow up doesn't have as much range as the K one.

Also try to do more hit confirms. The risk-reward ratio of a yolo PPPK is far too high when blocked you're facing backwards and are high on disadvantage(more than -10).

Whiffing on mid range in general isn't a good idea either. Seasoned players will probably have an easy time to punish that mid-string. If you're dead set on whiffing at least try some strings with mixup possibilty.

Feel free to correct me on any bad suggestions.

ShinMaruku

You see I would agree with the ground based combos but with counters I think launches and juggles are the only guaranteed combos I can get with the stun game and counters. I know many would like the more ground game but unless you have good reads or OSs launching and juggles are always best. Bounds also help with nullifying the counter as well.

I do watch the matches I lose but more often than not I forget to save them.

I try to atleast delay some of my combos just to fish for a early counter to allow me to some damage. I have seen I been using 6pp but it's generally in a way to set up a launch. It's probably some muscle memory that needs to be overwritten.

Right now I am working on my midrange game. Because it's the only way I can really sit down Momiji and Misty players.

Your advice is fairly solid. :)
Another match with a good player I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtw6cVsqxkM

DunpealD

You see I would agree with the ground based combos but with counters I think launches and juggles are the only guaranteed combos I can get with the stun game and counters. I know many would like the more ground game but unless you have good reads or OSs launching and juggles are always best. Bounds also help with nullifying the counter as well.

I do watch the matches I lose but more often than not I forget to save them.

I try to atleast delay some of my combos just to fish for a early counter to allow me to some damage. I have seen I been using 6pp but it's generally in a way to set up a launch. It's probably some muscle memory that needs to be overwritten.

Right now I am working on my midrange game. Because it's the only way I can really sit down Momiji and Misty players.

Your advice is fairly solid. :)
Another match with a good player I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtw6cVsqxkM

I have nothing against short juggles, but overall long combos with huge damage (50%) is just too much in my opinion. In rachels case for example the air grapple ground bounce isn't really necessary and prolongs the inactivity of the opponent.

And yeah I think you need to work on the 6pp AND the PPPK. At -12 frames there are more than enough 7 frame command throws that could punish it. I tried it in the training room with neutral throw and unless you're at the edge of the move you can get punished.

If you're up for it we could play the Kasumi matchup some time. I'm in the EU so if you're EC or also EU it should be playable. You should be able to get a little bit more used to her in longer play sessions. I'll have to dig into too though, since I'm not that familiar with Kasumi either.

ShinMaruku

Perhaps I don't feel too bad about games that were you can act right you can stop the other person from playing because you can have that done to you and I am a big fan of guaranteed damage. We would have to change the counter system for shorter combos and more neutral ground games to work.

I am also working on my counter throw game as well. Baiting somebody to try to counter and I grab them is a big source of damage for Ayane and Momiji.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm downloading this tonight. I might as well get some more mileage out of my PS3. I haven't played much DOA since the third game, gonna get back in.

These two outfits have optional football helmets. Any other sports outfits get anything extra (besides the typical Team Ninja perv-multi-pantsu)?
Well, not extra, but with Bayman and Leon's football outfits, you can toggle off the helmets. (I imagine it's the same with Zack and Bass too.)

Lyte Edge

It should be the catalog for the Warriors Orochi outfits. Wonder if we're ever going to get them...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Are they done with costumes?

tfw no thong Mila outfit
tfw no Helena genie outfit

Top Bottom