• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

Misty is going Blazblue level... I now see where Saya was inspired.

Watch there be another clone.

That said I hope soon next gen doa5u++ comes out. I must have Ayane and Misty on my ps4.

Kumubou

From a business standpoint I think Tecmo is making a mistake... unless they think they could get more money from DLC costumes with Marie than just by selling her (and the DLC outfits to people who play her). Not that I'm complaining; free death lolis are always welcome... err is this really something I want to be talking about in public? D:

Hubb

Well didn't they come out with a statement saying they are against paid dlc characters? They could walk that back, but they must be happy/ok with how DoA5U is selling. Why stomp on the good will the game has gotten so far (kind of)?

Bring on the free characters.

Definitely got to give them credit where it's due. TN is setting a wonderful example with such a great F2P service and free characters. Who's to say their take on the F2P model instead of something like Namco's is also bad business? But I hate Namco's model and love TN's, so I have to heap the praise on them for being so in touch with their fans right now.

From a business standpoint I think Tecmo is making a mistake... unless they think they could get more money from DLC costumes with Marie than just by selling her (and the DLC outfits to people who play her). Not that I'm complaining; free death lolis are always welcome... err is this really something I want to be talking about in public? D:

it's obvious that they are basing their model on the outflits , you just have to see those prices.
so providing ( for free ) , more reason for people to try the game , more character to buy outflit for ...make perfect sense IMO.
Personnaly , iwill play these characters if if i like them i'm gonna buy costumes for them. Works for me.

So Marie Rose is actually going to be free? That's really awesome. I probably would have bought her if she was paid DLC but now I don't have to worry about that. New character looks OK I guess. I'll have to see how she plays before I make final judgement.

There was a (translated) blurb/interview on doaworld.com yesterday and the TN guy mentioned the possibility of characters like Miss Monday, Tengu and that short haired blonde from Ninja Gaiden (forgot her name), so that definately sounds like DoA5 has a bright future. Im at work, so I cant link it.
Im confident that I would pay for ANY new character that TN add to the roster.
I pretty much have zero interest in ever using characters like Marie Rose or Tengu, but I can still vs them with the cpu. Plus, its good to show TN that it can be financially rewarding to give us new characters.

Erigu

So Marie Rose is actually going to be free?
I'm not entirely sure, actually. The FamiTsû article says that you'll need version 1.05 for that DLC. The patch for version 1.05 will be free. Does that mean the DLC itself is free? I don't know.
The video talks about selling the character, a costume set for her, and a combo of both the character and her costume set. Certainly seems to indicate she's not free. But then again, maybe that's just for the free to play version?
So, really, it doesn't quite say. Could go both ways.

There was a (translated) blurb/interview on doaworld.com yesterday and the TN guy mentioned the possibility of characters like Miss Monday, Tengu and that short haired blonde from Ninja Gaiden (forgot her name)
Shinbori didn't say anything about all that. That was just the fan site speculating. The only translated quote in that article is "[EX] "5 Ultimate DEAD OR ALIVE: Arcade" the arcade version for home use as "DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate" is a success thanks to all of you. It also plans to add new characters, or to enjoy in the future!" So yeah, there may be more characters in the future, but no examples (nor guarantees, really) were given.

I'm not entirely sure, actually. The FamiTsû article says that you'll need version 1.05 for that DLC. The patch for version 1.05 will be free. Does that mean the DLC itself is free? I don't know.
The video talks about selling the character, a costume set for her, and a combo of both the character and her costume set. Certainly seems to indicate she's not free. But then again, maybe that's just for the free to play version?
So, really, it doesn't quite say. Could go both ways.

Based on that article it definitely sounds like she's paid DLC then. The patch would just have her data so you could fight against her. Also where are you guys even getting that she's free from? I didn't see anything in the trailer saying she was free (of course I can't read Japanese). I'll have to watch it again, maybe I missed it somehow.

Erigu

where are you guys even getting that she's free from? I didn't see anything in the trailer saying she was free (of course I can't read Japanese).
I can, and there isn't anything about her being free, in the trailer. I'm not sure where people got that either.

dreamfall

I sincerely doubt she'd be free. I wonder how they'll price the character- same as DOA5U/core? How much was each fighter?

Also, any word on new costumes?

Erigu

I sincerely doubt she'd be free.
The main reason I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt (outside of the fact the article and trailer don't outright clarify that part) is that I remember people in this thread talking about how someone at Team Ninja said they didn't like the idea of paying for new characters, something along those lines. But yeah, I think it's safer to assume she will be paid DLC, indeed.

I sincerely doubt she'd be free. I wonder how they'll price the character- same as DOA5U/core? How much was each fighter?

Also, any word on new costumes?

The characters in core fighters are $4 right now so I guess it's possible she could be priced around there. Usually new DLC characters are around $5 though, (unless the game you are playing is BlazBlue, then it's $8. Damn you ArcSys) so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Shinbori didn't say anything about all that. That was just the fan site speculating. The only translated quote in that article is "[EX] "5 Ultimate DEAD OR ALIVE: Arcade" the arcade version for home use as "DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate" is a success thanks to all of you. It also plans to add new characters, or to enjoy in the future!" So yeah, there may be more characters in the future, but no examples (nor guarantees, really) were given.

The part you quoted makes it sound like they are planning to add new characters. I must have misread the blurb on DoA World, about the specific names.
I cant check the link from work, but its nice to know they're not officially considering Tengu :)

Skilletor

Hajin showed me a lot of things I should add to my Ayane play. His movement was great. I definitely want to start playing again.

The main reason I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt (outside of the fact the article and trailer don't outright clarify that part) is that I remember people in this thread talking about how someone at Team Ninja said they didn't like the idea of paying for new characters, something along those lines. But yeah, I think it's safer to assume she will be paid DLC, indeed.

yea, i'm still betting on the free char. idea. that's what their original tournament direction for DOA5 was. why change it now? it's also much better for their dlc model. no need to add extra obstacles when you can make much more money off a costume selection/videos. the base is free and people can try her out.

Enough with "Misty" already! @_@

agreed :D

Mesharey

Hajin showed me a lot of things I should add to my Ayane play. His movement was great. I definitely want to start playing again.
I learned many things from him in FSD. His Ayane is amazing, but his style is extremely different than mine, his defense is really good but I like to use offense and CB combos more, also I don't mind getting few hits. :p

Your Ayane is also something unique.

Skilletor

I learned many things from him in FSD. His Ayane is amazing, but his style is extremely different than mine, his defense is really good but I like to use offense and CB combos more, also I don't mind getting few hits. :p

Your Ayane is also something unique.

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I mostly want to work on my movement. He was doing a crouch dash from backturned that I would like to learn.

Man, getting hype for this game again, lol.

BlackMamba actually moved to my state. I don't know if he plays DoA anymore, but I might try and reach out.

ShinMaruku

My Ayane is ass
icon_wacko.gif

dreamfall

Some good fights Orpheus! I had to roll, but you figured out my Tina so quickly- your Hitomi is rad!

We shall play again soon I hope!

GGs again dreamfall! One thing you need to do is stop going for so many wakeup kicks. Almost every time you got knocked down you went for one, giving me a bunch of free holds.

Mesharey

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I mostly want to work on my movement. He was doing a crouch dash from backturned that I would like to learn.

Man, getting hype for this game again, lol.

BlackMamba actually moved to my state. I don't know if he plays DoA anymore, but I might try and reach out.
I remember that he said he stopped playing after the update that nerfed/fixed Rachel.
BTW. Do you have a link for Hajin's match vs. Crazy Steady in winners finals? (Not grand final).
My Ayane is ass
icon_wacko.gif
You are fast and good, you just need to add these few things I told before and use guaranteed stuff more. ;)

Skilletor

I remember that he said he stopped playing after the update that nerfed/fixed Rachel.
BTW. Do you have a link for Hajin's match vs. Crazy Steady in winners finals? (Not grand final).

You are fast and good, you just need to add these few things I told before and use guaranteed stuff more. ;)

I don't. I watched it on stream, not sure if it was archived.

Edit: old info

Im pretty disappointed they stuck Kasumis head on this new char. I was hoping for at least a new hairstyle. Hopefully her fighting style will be unique.

Edit: old info

Im pretty disappointed they stuck Kasumis head on this new char. I was hoping for at least a new hairstyle. Hopefully her fighting style will be unique.

Same. So cheap. I mean, you could tell she was a Kasumi clone at the end of the story, but didn't think they'd be so lazy as to do this lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The big surprise is that Marie Rose is actually an original character. Lots of recycled content in DOA5.

Loona

I wonder if the cloaked look for Phase-4 means she'll be bikini-proof like Alpha (fine with me), and being a Kasumi variant means she'll get less weird-looking kicks.

The 'best value' pack of Marie+costumes defo sounds like she isn't free.

As if we weren't already sure now lol.

I wish they would give the characters the accents where they were from, though. But only using actual people who have the accent (e.g. Christie's English accent is shit).

Mesharey

Yeah, it seems she's not free:
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152069431271785&type=3&l=a73ea243b3

I'm using my mobile so I don't know if this link works on a PC or not.

Thanks.

Key info, then:

Marie Rose: This character (Marie Rose) is priced at €5.99, with several additional costumes priced at €1.99 each. Additionally, a value costume set and character & costume set will be available on the same day for the 18 year-old fighter, Marie Rose. Previously only playable as an exclusive character in the DEAD OR ALIVE 5 ULTIMATE Arcade edition released in Japan, Marie Rose will be available to download on consoles for the first time on 25th March 2014 via the PlayStation®Store for the PlayStation®3 and 26th March via the Microsoft Games Store for the Xbox 360®.

Lorelei Stage: Set in Germany off the banks of the Rhine, this fan favorite multi-level fighting stage made its debut in DEAD OR ALIVE: DIMENSIONS and will be available to download for free on 26th March 2014, via the PlayStation®Store for the PlayStation®3 and 26th March via Microsoft Games Store for the Xbox 360® (accessible after downloading Patch 1.05, available without charge).

6 Euros is almost 10 Aussie dollars :/
I didnt think Marie would be that expensive. Im not even interested in using her.
I just wanted to support TN and encourage them to add more new characters to the roster.

Griss

Thanks.

Key info, then:

Wow, €6.00? That sucks. Was really hoping they'd make her free to bring people back to the game and then make money off the costumes. Adding the character and costumes together... it's too much. I've been with TN from the beginning with their Core Fighters philosophy, but I don't like how they've handled this.

As for the Lorelei stage, are they just going to 'unhaunt' the one we already have?

Top Bottom