• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

Nun uh. They gotta stay on par so her and Lisa can have a tag team called SISTA ACT
in my dreams

I would rock that team. Also they would have a Team with Zack. Also more commentary from Zack and his time with sistas. But if they do put Vanessa in, Team Ninja you have to give them bootys that's all I ask.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So any word on what's coming tomorrow? Just Marie Rose or anything else along with the character too?

Okay, playing DoA+ on Vita, so not quite DOAU, but I'd really like to ask for some tips on how to play, and I mean fighting games in general, because obviously there is some secret sauce to fighting games that I have just completely not gotten at all yet.
Because I'm playing Arcade on Normal difficulty and I've gotten roflstomped by Gen Fu in match 4 about 20 times now. That... doesn't sound normal at all. Clearly there is something I just don't get about playing fighting games. It feels like no matter what I do, I just get juggled for 75% of my health bar. I just do NOT know how not to get my face smashed in repeatedly in rapid succession, and it's incredibly infuriating to know that I'm just very clearly not understanding some fundamental aspect of fighting games.
Any tips?

Don't play DOA. Seriously though, it's a real poor place to start for a fighting game because it does everything opposite than every other fighter.

Loona

Okay, playing DoA+ on Vita, so not quite DOAU, but I'd really like to ask for some tips on how to play, and I mean fighting games in general, because obviously there is some secret sauce to fighting games that I have just completely not gotten at all yet.
Because I'm playing Arcade on Normal difficulty and I've gotten roflstomped by Gen Fu in match 4 about 20 times now. That... doesn't sound normal at all. Clearly there is something I just don't get about playing fighting games. It feels like no matter what I do, I just get juggled for 75% of my health bar. I just do NOT know how not to get my face smashed in repeatedly in rapid succession, and it's incredibly infuriating to know that I'm just very clearly not understanding some fundamental aspect of fighting games.
Any tips?

Who are you using?
Without knowing who, it's a bit tricky to give tips, especially against a specific character.

Still, it's roughly a matter of trying to defend when you see something coming, trying to sneak in some quick attacks (for most character punches should provide that) when you can, maybe extend the damage from those with something stronger from then on.
Having a feel for the range of your attacks and the opponent's tends to help a lot, in my experience.

The update is now live. I also read Marie Rose can be purchased now as well. The update is 309 mb and I'm currently downloading it. I'm on PS3 btw.

Lyte Edge

The update is now live. I also read Marie Rose can be purchased now as well. The update is 309 mb and I'm currently downloading it. I'm on PS3 btw.

Thanks for the heads-up. Bought the character+outfits pack and am downloading the 1.05 update now.

Lyte Edge

It looks like she comes with 4 costumes. The first one is her maid outfit and the second is the blue leather outfit. I don't know what the other 2 are because you have to unlock them.

The other two are another maid outfit and a white variation of the leather-leotard thing. With the DLC outfits, her costume count is at 9.

I'm not a fan of loli-style characters, but I messed around in training for a bit and played through arcade mode once with her. Marie Rose is pretty damn fun to use and has some crazy set ups with her special moves. Best taunt in the game with "bakabakabaka~" too. Will probably use her.

Team Ninja getting some shit on twitter for going back on their word with regards to paid DLC characters, and actually arguing back to people.

Gotta be honest, TN, but you kinda deserve the backlash.

Squire

Banned
Team Ninja getting some shit on twitter for going back on their word with regards to paid DLC characters, and actually arguing back to people.

Gotta be honest, TN, but you kinda deserve the backlash.

Oh wow, I forgot they said that. Yeah, that's on them.

Lyte Edge

And apparently there are more characters coming after Kasumi #3. They will be putting up a discounted DLC bundle with all of them....in six+ months when they're all finished and released.

I'm glad to see the support (obviously free characters would be awesome, but I expected them to charge for it), but why not release this game on more platforms? Put it out (Core Fighters, if not a retail version) on PS4, Vita, Xbone, and yes, PC, already.

Forsythia

So, the patch is not on Xbox Live yet, but you can already purchase the new DLC, just like the last time. WTF is this shit. TN blames it on MS, but why does this only happen with DOA5U? I can't think of any other game with this crap.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
lol

8NNk0Gm.jpg

1bfgiFl.jpg

fBV7j4h.jpg

So, the patch is not on Xbox Live yet, but you can already purchase the new DLC, just like the last time. WTF is this shit. TN blames it on MS, but why does this only happen with DOA5U? I can't think of any other game with this crap.

I don't even get what's happening... it says to download costume pack #9 and I downloaded it and the patch for Marie Rose...and all I can do is look at the title screen. Can't even play

Mesharey

Marie Rose is a little bit complicated, she has 4 stances. She's fun.

Edit: she has few moves, you need to use her stances a lot to use many moves, I expected an easy character, I don't see myself using her. >_>

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What did Tecmo say about keeping DLC characters free?

I just assumed Marie Rose would cost money.

Vanilla DOA5 era they were saying that they wouldnt charge for DLC characters as it would be breaking the game or a barrier to the players. As you can see money talks and makes developers forget their words and people who remember the words will call em out and show how they back tracked on their comments.

Skilletor

People can get mad at the dlc, I'll just be happy the game continues to be supported.

If there were no dlc, I doubt we'd be getting these characters.

lolmark

Just bought Marie Rose and spent 20 minutes trying to actually play the character. I should have hopped on this thread earlier..

How many of the DOAGAF regs have bought or will buy her, then? I'm not.

I haven't been playing DOA for a while, but is she cropping up online often?

Skilletor

My fiance bought her. :/

She loves the character, though. Thinks she's totes adorbs.

Her moveset seems pretty solid and tricky. I haven't played online in awhile, so can't say there.

Wasn't the regular Lorelei in this patch? I have to check that out.

You guys got any basic juggles and set-ups for her? Trying to see if I dig her myself but I suck at figuring shit out.

Also, where did I put my disc? I can't find it to save my life. Been using Core Fighters to try out Marie.

Loona

She's not available on PSN for this part of Europe (yet)...

I got DoA5U after having already bought DoA5 vanilla and messed around with the F2P version under the assumption that the full game would get all characters - paying for them is what Core Fighters is for.

Marie Rose's aesthetics don quite click with me, nor does the price of using her on the full game (would be completely reasonable for the F2P version) - if the arcade version's getting more characters and eventually there'll be a PSN bundle, I'll reconsider then.

Kumubou

You guys got any basic juggles and set-ups for her? Trying to see if I dig her myself but I suck at figuring shit out.
I bought her because I'm part of the problem and couldn't resist playing a gothiloli maid. D: Uh, random notes from spending about an hour in training mode:

• Her stun game seems to be decent. 5KK and roll K causes sit-down stun, K+G causes limbo stun, 8P and back spin P cause spin stun. 5KK having SDS would be silly especially since 5K is one of her faster moves... but the second kick is unsafe as all hell.
  • She has several good back-turned moves. BT 4K is a mid kick that lets her go into another back spin and stay BT (or not), BT K+G is a good bound move, BT P+K is a second critical burst, BT 2K is a full-on sweep, BT 5KKK is a good combo ender, etc.
  • 1P is an annoying low, but I think anyone decent will duck 1PP once they learn the match-up. You could be a jerk and do 1PP+K though, which is also safeish.
  • Her roll (3P+K) is annoying as shit too. Avoids highs and the punch is a low, the K causes SDS on hit and P+G is an OH that avoids lows (wat).
  • Both the P and K out of the back spin are safe on block, and the spin itself sabakis high and mid punches. Her side spin shift is an evasive sidestep that also avoids lows (so anything linear and/or low will whiff), but the one attack out of is hella unsafe on block (shoutouts to random guard crushes in DoA being unsafe as fuck) and if you get hit out of it it's either a high counter or a juggle state.
  • She seems to have several low crush options. 9K, P+K, and 66K (wut) all beat lows.
  • All of her expert holds lead to guaranteed combos, looooooool. They either launch directly or lead to a guaranteed 8K.
  • She goes nyaa~~ whenever you do 236P lunge punch. This has no strategic value, but is moe as all hell.
As for combo options... BT K+G BT 5KKK seems like a good general combo ender whenever you're BT (most commonly started from a 7K launch), and you can use BT 4P and 9P for refloats. I think you may be able to use PPK to refloat on a high launch as well, but I would need to test that. She doesn't have much in the way of strings period.

I wish I could play this character in an online environment that didn't suck eggs!!! GAH!

Ultimadrago

I bought her because I'm part of the problem and couldn't resist playing a gothiloli maid. D: Uh, random notes from spending about an hour in training mode:

• Her stun game seems to be decent. 5KK and roll K causes sit-down stun, K+G causes limbo stun, 8P and back spin P cause spin stun. 5KK having SDS would be silly especially since 5K is one of her faster moves... but the second kick is unsafe as all hell.
  • She has several good back-turned moves. BT 4K is a mid kick that lets her go into another back spin and stay BT (or not), BT K+G is a good bound move, BT P+K is a second critical burst, BT 2K is a full-on sweep, BT 5KKK is a good combo ender, etc.
  • 1P is an annoying low, but I think anyone decent will duck 1PP once they learn the match-up. You could be a jerk and do 1PP+K though, which is also safeish.
  • Her roll (3P+K) is annoying as shit too. Avoids highs and the punch is a low, the K causes SDS on hit and P+G is an OH that avoids lows (wat).
  • Both the P and K out of the back spin are safe on block, and the spin itself sabakis high and mid punches. Her side spin shift is an evasive sidestep that also avoids lows (so anything linear and/or low will whiff), but the one attack out of is hella unsafe on block (shoutouts to random guard crushes in DoA being unsafe as fuck) and if you get hit out of it it's either a high counter or a juggle state.
  • She seems to have several low crush options. 9K, P+K, and 66K (wut) all beat lows.
  • All of her expert holds lead to guaranteed combos, looooooool. They either launch directly or lead to a guaranteed 8K.
  • She goes nyaa~~ whenever you do 236P lunge punch. This has no strategic value, but is moe as all hell.
As for combo options... BT K+G BT 5KKK seems like a good general combo ender whenever you're BT (most commonly started from a 7K launch), and you can use BT 4P and 9P for refloats. I think you may be able to use PPK to refloat on a high launch as well, but I would need to test that. She doesn't have much in the way of strings period.

I wish I could play this character in an online environment that didn't suck eggs!!! GAH!

Thanks for the writeup. Can't wait to get my hands on her.

Lyte Edge

I'm curious; did you those of you refusing to buy this character also refuse to buy the on-disc "dlc" characters in games like MvC3 and SFxTK?

Squire

Banned
I'm curious; did you those of you refusing to buy this character also refuse to buy the on-disc "dlc" characters in games like MvC3 and SFxTK?

Don't start this. Don't even try it. Capcom didn't make a promise and not keep it. The deal was clear to start; People took it or they didn't. That's not what's happened here.

Funny enough, I got all those characters for free. Literally the only character I've ever bought as Darth Vader in SCIV...and I guess the season pass for MK9.

What would be best is if the season pass just came out already. They're already backpedaling by announcing that all these characters will be available as a bundle anyway.

solid mike

Playing beach volleyball on Paradise makes me really hope they make an actual fun volleyball and other beach activities game with the current models.

Vade

Have been too busy to play recently, but I have not and will not buy any DLC character.

Charge for all her costumes except the default, but adding a character that a good portion of the player base will not have access to even if she ends up low tier is a 'dumb' move. How can you get even mildly familiar with the character if you only can go against her rarely and with online warriors...

Does exhibition mode have her unlocked on consoles that have downloaded the patch or does she also have to be purchased for exhibition to have her unlocked? Not that DOA tournements have lots of people, but another little thing organizers need to account for is never good.

Skilletor

Have been too busy to play recently, but I have not and will not buy any DLC character.

Charge for all her costumes except the default, but adding a character that a good portion of the player base will not have access to even if she ends up low tier is a 'dumb' move. How can you get even mildly familiar with the character if you only can go against her rarely and with online warriors...

Does exhibition mode have her unlocked on consoles that have downloaded the patch or does she also have to be purchased for exhibition to have her unlocked? Not that DOA tournements have lots of people, but another little thing organizers need to account for is never good.

There are tons of characters I know how to fight against that I don't use. If you travel to DoA tourneys, then that's on you to do what you need to to get that experience.

There's, what, one fighter out without character DLC now? VF?

Character DLC is the norm now, not the exception. Tourney organizers are accustomed to this by now.

People are fine to take the stance against DLC characters. I think it's great, personally. Instead of waiting 6 months for DoA5U Arcade Edition to hit consoles, I can get the characters I want now.

Top Bottom