• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

Oh Boy Ayane/Hitomi are almost as fun as a Tag Team as Ayane/Momiji and Ayane/Misty. But they do work on heavier characters. Only issue I have is not so good of a grab team as Ayane/Momiji and Ayane/Misty due to positioning.

Kumubou

Apropos of nothing:

BkG192_CEAARzQT.jpg:large

here's the full page with the discounts. If anyone can help us with what that means in English...it would be great
my kanji only goes so far.
It looks like it's a price drop on (in order) the 5U character unlock/default costume bundle for Core Fighters, the DoA5 DLC bundle, and 5U/over-18 character unlock in Core Fighters (so no Marie Rose). I don't know if the pricing will be reduced in the US, since the DLC pricing in Japan was nutso to begin with.

BTW, in the insane event that someone here doesn't already have all the characters, doa5u actually has the "million fighter pack", which has not ONLY all the characters, but also all the vanilla 5 costumes.

It seems they do not, which is most saddening. I'm wondering though if there's someone I can ask for vouchers for the costumes though. Any ideas where I'd start for that? Psn support?

stn

Costumes are too expensive with this game. I prefer the pricing model used for SFxT. Buy what costumes you want, $1.00 each. I'd be even more inclined if each costume was $0.50 but its okay as it is. Then I see the price for DOA skins and I just cringe. Way too expensive. I bought Jann Lee's DOA2 retro outfit and that's it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Trying to double check here, but the million fighters set comes with dlc costumes for DOA 5 ultimate that you would otherwise have to pay for, right (I have the retail disc)? About to bite the bullet, heads up that the $19.99 price tag is actually a mistake and they're changing it to 29.99 very soon as per their facebook page.

Edit, got clarification. It includes the DLC that was part of DOA 5 vanilla and plus (the ones not included with u). The price for that pack is $40, so this is seemingly a good deal (even better if you don't even own doa5 u yet.

Astarte

Annnnddd with that outrageous sale I bought into DoA! I heard this series was guilty pleasure as hell; I think I'm going to enjoy this.
Individually downloading EVERYTHING is going to murder me

Lemstar

Annnnddd with that outrageous sale I bought into DoA! I heard this series was guilty pleasure as hell; I think I'm going to enjoy this.
Should have let me know about it. I was thinking about buying it and selling shares. ;__;

DoA isn't just guilty pleasure, it's an awesome fighting game with a side of guilty pleasure. Get it right yo.

So I totally just noticed that the wave sixaxis to jiggle is in this game too.

Hubb

Is anyone else entering the costume competition? I've sketched my entry up, and I'm going to colour it tomorrow.

Please post it when you are finished! I'm personally not going to enter because artistically I am still trying to master stick figures.

Dantis

Please post it when you are finished! I'm personally not going to enter because artistically I am still trying to master stick figures.

I'll post it once I've sent it off. I basically drew up a reasonably stylish outfit, and then cut sections out of it to DOA-ify it, haha. It looks... interesting. I'm not really clear on how they're deciding the winners, so I wasn't sure what to draw. It probably won't be the worst entry, though, so that's something.

I have not because what I want will never pass the censors.
noah.png

Naked doesn't count as an outfit, I don't think.

EDIT: So I've drawn up and coloured in my image, but I'm not sure how much further to take it. It looks pretty rough right now because it's just block colour with no shading, but on the other hand, I could spend another few hours colouring it all in properly, only to not win. I might just leave it as is, because it feels kind of up in the air as to who will win.

ShinMaruku

Practice mode will teach you a bunch this game does have the best training system. Capcom's is utter shit and we all know that. But people assume it's a titty fighter nevermind that Mai and Chun are just as bad (Really it's just that people are full of shit)

AAK

I was trying out Lei Fang.. and I couldn't help but wonder why her animations were sooo wonky. Then I played Rig and I was wowed at how awesome that guy was animated. And then it just hit me that everything in this game is probably hand animated (minus the VF characters). That's pretty damn impressive.

One thing that's still confusing me, when you successfully win a rock-paper-scissors battle, you get a "hi-counter" which does more damage than usual (i.e. doing a strike when your opponent throws, or grabbing while your opponent holds). BUT I still have no idea how a "hi-counter hold" is done? During the tutorial I eventually guessed a strike right and did the appropriate hold but it's not giving me the indicator that I did a "hi-counter hold". But dt does so when I win with strikes or grapples. What am I doing wrong and what's the difference between a regular hold and a hi-counter hold?

One thing that's still confusing me, when you successfully win a rock-paper-scissors battle, you get a "hi-counter" which does more damage than usual (i.e. doing a strike when your opponent throws, or grabbing while your opponent holds). BUT I still have no idea how a "hi-counter hold" is done? During the tutorial I eventually guessed a strike right and did the appropriate hold but it's not giving me the indicator that I did a "hi-counter hold". But dt does so when I win with strikes or grapples. What am I doing wrong and what's the difference between a regular hold and a hi-counter hold?

I believe "hi-counter hold" is when you time a counter hold during the first 1-2 active frames of the move you are countering. That yields you a high damage bonus(I think a 50% bonus). Countering a move during the first 3-10 active frames nets you a "counter hold", giving a smaller bonus(25%). Countering any later than 10 frames gets you the default counter with no text indication on screen.

"hi-counter throw" is when you throw somebody during the frames of hold animation, and I believe "counter throw" is when you throw somebody during the startup animation of their throw.

Niitris

I was trying out Lei Fang.. and I couldn't help but wonder why her animations were sooo wonky. Then I played Rig and I was wowed at how awesome that guy was animated. And then it just hit me that everything in this game is probably hand animated (minus the VF characters). That's pretty damn impressive.

Lei Fang is one of the series originals (back when hand-crafted animation was more common), that's why her animations are so damn awful. I'm certain that Rig's animations were mocapped being one of the new characters and all..

Hi-counter holds is basically a hold that's done just when the move is about to make contact (it's either a 2 or 3 frame window but it's quite minuscule). Dose quite a bit more damage than a 'regular' or 'counter' hold (don't ever get hit with a hi-counter hold against Lei Fang btw).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is the costume sale also on PSN?

EDIT: Just found it. I was waiting for a sale, so that's pretty great. A shame that they aren't cross-compatible with the 5+.

EDIT2: Damnit, I'm such an idiot. I paid $20 for the DOA5 complete costume pack, but there's a separate pack that includes all characters except Marie Rose + DOA5 costumes + DOA5+ costumes.

If you're going to buy a set on PSN, make sure to buy this one:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...mes)/cid=UP4108-NPUB31289_00-B000000000000322

Dantis

The only costumes from DOA5+ are the paradise swimsuits and the cheerleader outfits, so it's not like you're missing out on much.

EDIT: Oh, did you not get the characters or something? Either way, you could contact Sony, but I think they'll say no.

I really enjoy doa but suck bad... tempting to buy it all for $20 though. Especially that Kasumi in an argyle costume!
team ninja in my brain stealing my girls in argyles fanfiction

probably going to end up getting this anyway cause I'm just that much of a sucker.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The only costumes from DOA5+ are the paradise swimsuits and the cheerleader outfits, so it's not like you're missing out on much.

EDIT: Oh, did you not get the characters or something? Either way, you could contact Sony, but I think they'll say no.

I just completely misread it. I thought that it included costumes FOR DOA5+, not FROM DOA5+. I was confused.

If someone buys the characters for the free version of the game, does that allow them to earn trophies?

Astarte

I just completely misread it. I thought that it included costumes FOR DOA5+, not FROM DOA5+. I was confused.

If someone buys the characters for the free version of the game, does that allow them to earn trophies?

Nope, I'm really disappointed. Right now I'm contemplating whether or not to shell out 15 bucks for story mode so I can start unlocking trophies.

AAK

4 out of the 5 people I've played so far in random lobbies all love to taunt me as they're beating my ass haha.

Is there a list online or anywhere I can go to that lists every characters' moves that puts them into a critical stun? I personally think it'd be easier for me to have that kind of resource.

Also, everyone I've played so far only played Ninja's LOL.

Top Bottom