• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Vade

There are tons of characters I know how to fight against that I don't use. If you travel to DoA tourneys, then that's on you to do what you need to to get that experience.

There's, what, one fighter out without character DLC now? VF?

Character DLC is the norm now, not the exception. Tourney organizers are accustomed to this by now.

People are fine to take the stance against DLC characters. I think it's great, personally. Instead of waiting 6 months for DoA5U Arcade Edition to hit consoles, I can get the characters I want now.

If you do not buy her, can you not set her as an opponent in the lab? That is my issue assuming you cannot. I am not saying if you do not play the character you will not know how to fight against at all. Set as an opponent in lab and see how the basic moves and stances come out.

It is about seeing that base level of moves rather than everything being brand new and hopefully adapting quickly to additional tricks.

ShinMaruku

Only hope of it getting on vita if the arcade version is ported to ps4 then you can remote play. Aside from that, slim to none.

Anybody want to play right now? I'm probably gonna attempt to use Marie a bit. I still haven't memorized her movelist though so it won't be very good play at all. I just need to escape the Dynasty Warriors vortex for a bit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I tried Injustice via Remote Play when the PS4 first came out. Wasn't as bad as you might think at 30 FPS. Guess it helps that I'm used to playing SSF4 3D edition at 30 FPS online on 3DS. :p

Only hope of it getting on vita if the arcade version is ported to ps4 then you can remote play. Aside from that, slim to none.

I wouldn't rule it out. It would be an easy enough port with DOA5+ already done and Koei-Tecmo has been a huge Vita supporter. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets announced after all the DLC characters are out. I expect to see Ninja Gaiden 3 RE on there at some point, too.

Squire

Banned
Playing beach volleyball on Paradise makes me really hope they make an actual fun volleyball and other beach activities game with the current models.

I think XBV3 will happen before DOA6, honestly, but I don't expect to be a legitimately good game, of course.

Squire

Banned
I doubt there will ever be an xbv 3... unless the bikinis sold that well...imagine how much they could charge for a topless/nude mode lol.

That's never going to be an option, but at this point? I'd hazard a guess that not only does the DLC sell well, but it's probably where the bulk of the profit comes from.

It's kinda be dumb for them not to do XBV3 because it'd probably be a gold mine and again, it's not like it would be or needs to be an actual good game.

I've managed to get a few online matches in on 5+, and while I got trounced a majority of the time, I did a bit better than I expected. Hopefully I can get lucky with weekends and get more matches in then, right now its seems like its basically me and one other person on at a time haha.

EDIT: My gf would love if they made an XBV3. Would build up plenty of tension until she got home hahaha.

ShinMaruku

When TN needs to swing their graphiocs epeen XBV can come out. I want something in the spirit of XBV but expanded beyond Volley ball.

Dantis

I think XBV3 will happen before DOA6, honestly, but I don't expect to be a legitimately good game, of course.

I think if they do develop it, it'll bomb. I don't think people are interested in that kind of thing any more. Not from a high-end (er... kind of) developer, at least.

Squire

Banned
I think if they do develop it, it'll bomb. I don't think people are interested in that kind of thing any more. Not from a high-end (er... kind of) developer, at least.

DOA5 probably bombed. TN is a niche studio that makes niche games for a mostly niche publisher. They're not a high-end dev in any capacity and people want smut now the same way they always have.

Like I said, I strongly suspect they're getting their money off the DLC. That's probably why they put out the F2P version.

Of course it would bomb relative to other games, but when they can do 300k and get most of those people for $2 per swimsuit, it's probably not even an issue.

ShinMaruku

If budgeted for 300k to make a profit it's not a bomb and with their dlc sales they are making a killing. So don't put what batshit insane studios put as bomb as universal bombing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There's clearly some degree of success when they are continuing to produce DLC and released an arcade version.

Skilletor

There's clearly some degree of success when they are continuing to produce DLC and released an arcade version.

Yeah, DoA5 sold at least million copies. That's excellent numbers for a fighter. They wouldn't have released an expansion, an arcade version, and continue to support it if the game had bombed.

Squire

Banned
If budgeted for 300k to make a profit it's not a bomb and with their dlc sales they are making a killing. So don't put what batshit insane studios put as bomb as universal bombing.

Yeah, DoA5 sold at least million copies. That's excellent numbers for a fighter. They wouldn't have released an expansion, an arcade version, and continue to support it if the game had bombed.

I'm talking relative to most AAA games. They're making money off the game, clearly.

ShinMaruku

That is why it's silly to refer the market in soley their terms. But Publishers and terrible consumers like to think they are the only things out there and that is dangerous and damaging.

Yeah, I'm sure you're an expert on the subject.

When I see many studios crash and burn under it and publishers (Such as SE and others ) have some insane thought that just because they spent x million dollars they can sell 8+ million copies. It's the same delusion that lead to the great MMO and now MOBA race where since the aberrations make that much money they think they too can do the same then they crash and burn because they they don't know the market. Then you have the whole "We must make DLC sell crazy to break even" Rather than using them to get extra money on top of a execlent product that is funded right.

Squire

Banned
You need to explain how the GT games cost so little compared to other 'AAA' games and put out the same quality.

Different projects cost different amounts of money, have different goals, are developed by different teams of people, and released by different companies of varying sizes.

And opinions on quality vary from person to person.

I think it's funny you asked me not to generalize, but then pulled the broad brush out of my hands only to start painting the Mona Lisa.

ShinMaruku

Different projects cost different amounts of money, have different goals, are developed by different teams of people, and released by different companies of varying sizes.

And opinions on quality vary from person to person.

I think it's funny you asked me not to generalize, but then pulled the broad brush out of my hands only to start painting the Mona Lisa.
You say these things and then you surmised that DOA5 was bomb. Not knowing how much people worked on it and work load. But you thought it bombed. That is puzzling.

You think there is nothing that can be made more efficient in game development? You don't think there is massive bloat in most 'AAA' development? I think some of the companies think so how they downsize after a game ships and they cut the 'non essential staff, but they could have come up with something better than that from the outset.

To me any dev team over 300 is over sized and should be cut into some studios that can do some of tech work that can be outsourced between teams where those devs can get some work and not have to rush back and forth from studios.

Skilletor

I don't think DoA would qualify as a AAA title as far as budgets and marketing go. Tecmo seemed happy with its sales, very few fighters sale that many copies in today's climate, so I'd say it's successful. Sure, not compared to something like GTA, but you could probably make DoA5 several times over on GTA's budget.

ShinMaruku

I don't think DoA would qualify as a AAA title as far as budgets and marketing go. Tecmo seemed happy with its sales, very few fighters sale that many copies in today's climate, so I'd say it's successful. Sure, not compared to something like GTA, but you could probably make DoA5 several times over on GTA's budget.

I would never compare any games sales with GTA to be honest. But I think we are getting off track with semantics and the pointless bullshit of game budgets and how some standards could help.

I am kind of impressed how some majors have given DOA a chance this year, I wonder where that came from....

DR2K

Banned
A AAA title can sell 4 million copies, possibly break even, and be a financial disaster causing company closure.

Doa5 don't care about your AAA, it's all about the the DD.

ShinMaruku

A AAA title can sell 4 million copies, possibly break even, and be a financial disaster causing company closure.

Doa5 don't care about your AAA, it's all about the the DD.

ayane____render______do_not_touch_me__dog_by_dizzy_xd-d6y3e4y.png

Indeed.

Damn. This is why I fucking hate April Fool's Day.

Somehow, I don't think they'd troll Tengu, since he's highly requested. He must be coming at some point, especially since they say they'll be releasing a character pack in 6 months time.

Skilletor

I'd say troll just because of the timing. Seems pretty soon to be announcing a character when Phase 4 isn't even out in arcades.

Skilletor

I'd like it if they fleshed out Raidou and Shiden's moveset.

The last thing the game needs is more ninjas, but since phase 4 shows they aren't really breaking new ground with these characters, Shiden and Raidou were at least in DoA:D.

Top Bottom