• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Ehh I don't care how many DLC costumes they give us. It's optional. It's fan service. It's another way to support the game if you want to. And with the F2P version, it makes sense. Much better than Bamco's shitty F2P methods.

Skilletor

I was just on the xbox marketplace for DOA5. There's over 330 pieces of dlc. Talk about milking.

Yeah, damn them for giving this game the most amazing continued support I've ever seen in a fighter with a constant stream of content for the casual and the hardcore.

Hell, even if I didn't like DoA5 (and I do), I'd be all in for the next version just because of how they've handled everything in this game.

Yeah, damn them for giving this game the most amazing continued support I've ever seen in a fighter with a constant stream of content for the casual and the hardcore.

Hell, even if I didn't like DoA5 (and I do), I'd be all in for the next version just because of how they've handled everything in this game.

Easy fella, it was just an observation.

Skilletor

Easy fella, it was just an observation.

One to which I responded. :)

You say milking, I disagree. The game has had a constant stream of dlc and content patches pretty much since release. The game, at least on ps3, is still plenty active online. The competitive scene is growing. Team ninja is doing a good job cultivating a competitive fanbase with this game. I wish some other fighters received this amount of "milking." But no, most fighting games are released and ignored for content 6 months after they're released.

Skilletor

Heh, fair do's. I do agree with the rest of your statement though. I guess im not that big of a fan when it comes to fan service outfits, hence my original statement. Once they release more additional characters though, ill be all over that.

I agree. I dislike the fan service stuff as well. I'm a huge fan of casual gear, like they'd wear if they're just going out with friends. But, that is what the fanbase wants, unfortunately. But if it's selling well, then that's just more money for the DoA franchise, so I can't hate too hard. :)

I'm super hype for nyoTengu, though.

Have to second how much TN has been supporting this game for so long. Many people kept suspecting when the last batch of DLC costumes would be, but they've just kept on giving. It's great to see this still very active and being supported. These games need money being put into them to keep them going, and the costumes help that.

I would like some more casual outfits too, though. Perhaps some other things like a DOA1 or DOA4 music pack or something, too. Something else aside from the costumes, perhaps.

Skilletor

Have to second how much TN has been supporting this game for so long. Many people kept suspecting when the last batch of DLC costumes would be, but they've just kept on giving. It's great to see this still very active and being supported. These games need money being put into them to keep them going, and the costumes help that.

I would like some more casual outfits too, though. Perhaps some other things like a DOA1 or DOA4 music pack or something, too. Something else aside from the costumes, perhaps.

Love your avatar, lol.

stn

I dig that Tecmo is constantly making costumes, I'm a fan of skins in general. But they're still quite expensive relative to other games. SFxT had character skins for $1.00 each, SF4 had all of them for about $18. I'd buy more for DOA but they're too pricey. I can't justify it to myself sometimes.

I dig that Tecmo is constantly making costumes, I'm a fan of skins in general. But they're still quite expensive relative to other games. SFxT had character skins for $1.00 each, SF4 had all of them for about $18. I'd buy more for DOA but they're too pricey. I can't justify it to myself sometimes.
I can go along with that. Think it goes without saying I'd be inclined to impulse buy if they were a bit cheaper.

Timu

Ehh I don't care how many DLC costumes they give us. It's optional. It's fan service. It's another way to support the game if you want to. And with the F2P version, it makes sense. Much better than Bamco's shitty F2P methods.
F2P version doesn't let you unlock more costumes with certain characters(Rachel and Momiji for example) so the full version is the best way to go.

shaowebb

I can't know them for the DLC alts. I plan on offering a lot of this sort of stuff when I finish my development on my indie project. I don't plan on charging a ton for stuff, but I do think that stuff like alt outfits is a fun extra to offer as DLC for those that like to customize their look for their favorite folks.

Now stuff like SFxTekken gems though...THATS DLC I can never respect.

F2P version doesn't let you unlock more costumes with certain characters(Rachel and Momiji for example) so the full version is the best way to go.
Sure, but for those who only use the F2P version, DLC costumes are a great way to keep money coming in, instead of the much more anti-consumer Bamco and other company methods of Pay2Play etc.

But yeah, as a consumer, you get more bang for your buck if you just buy the full version.

Timu

Downloaded!=p

ibsk1PaA4V8dtN.PNG

iblDajTKdAKFTV.PNG

Why are you talking to the ground honey, lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finally! Time for maidsports... until I get mad at how awful this game's netcode is.

Hopped on for a bit last night and did not have the best results. Went back to Street Fighter. :\

Tons of lobbies, though. Glad the game is still populated.

Hey, do any of you guys game with DC_Alba? He's been helping me with something DoA related, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while, and he hasn't logged onto GAF for over a month.

I hope everything is alright with him.

synce

The game is not being supported at all, they're just supporting horny teens with fetishes. I've barely played DOA5 this year, but every now and then I'll fire it up to see if they fixed the netcode and it's still the same laggy piece of shit with the same noobs sending me hate mail whenever they lose. I play other fighters on PS3 and NONE of them are this laggy or full of such immature players.

So no, to me they are not improving the game. If anything they're making it worse. It's actually funny, everyone used to rag on DOA for all the girls looking identical so they gave them unique faces in DOA5 only to dress them all up in the same shitty costumes. I was initially kind of excited for Nyotengu until I realized well she's just going to be another ho in a nurse outfit soon enough.

Hubb

The game is not being supported at all, they're just supporting horny teens with fetishes. I've barely played DOA5 this year, but every now and then I'll fire it up to see if they fixed the netcode and it's still the same laggy piece of shit with the same noobs sending me hate mail whenever they lose. I play other fighters on PS3 and NONE of them are this laggy or full of such immature players.

So no, to me they are not improving the game. If anything they're making it worse. It's actually funny, everyone used to rag on DOA for all the girls looking identical so they gave them unique faces in DOA5 only to dress them all up in the same shitty costumes. I was initially kind of excited for Nyotengu until I realized well she's just going to be another ho in a nurse outfit soon enough.

Tell us how you really feel.

DR2K

Banned

You're downloading all those catalogues/dlc against your will?

Let's hope the money from those costumes the horny teens buy goes to strong netcode in DOA6 then, hm? ;)

Off topic: btw, anyone interested in writing game reviews for a site I'm editor of? It's unpaid but you get free games out of it. If you're a decent writer and interested, drop a PM. Thought I'd ask here as I passed by.

Loona

Off topic: btw, anyone interested in writing game reviews for a site I'm editor of? It's unpaid but you get free games out of it. If you're a decent writer and interested, drop a PM. Thought I'd ask here as I passed by.

What site?
Consoles, PC?...

What site?
Consoles, PC?...
Don't wanna drive this even more off topic, but site is Cubed3.com. The news articles are Nintendo only, but reviews are for all platforms including 3DS, Wii U, PC, PS4/3/Vita, 360, Android/iOS. Site will eventually split up into dedicated platform sites but until then, all reviews are hosted at Cubed3. Can give more info in PM. Looking for a bunch of people from EU and US atm, so everyone's welcome to get in touch if curious. Gonna scout around at other sites, but since I post in this topic mostly at GAF, I know some of your faces and thought I'd ask.

Griss

So, I haven't been keeping up with any news (or this thread, sorry!), what's the chance we get a DoA-related announcement (DoA5 remaster or 6) at TGS? Seems like the best place for Team Ninja to do it. Have there been any hints in their twitter feed? Have they had a lot of presence at TGS in the past? I can't remember how DoA5 was revealed / announced.

Still playing DoA5 almost two full years later, which is really astonishing to me. I absolutely love this game. As everyone says, better netcode would help tremendously, but I can be happy enough just playing Time Attack on higher difficulties too. It's such a comfy game to lose an hour to.

On the subject of costumes: I have no problem with them subsidising the game this way. The free version, especially, is brilliant because you get so much for free and the game is supported by the costume buyers. They really missed a trick not having that free version on PS4 early on. They'd have had the market to themselves with a really great game. Content starved-PS4 owners would all have downloaded Core Fighters to try it out, and grown the series from there. Oh well.

One thing I don't like, and where I agree with others in here, is that when all the characters get the same costumes it feels cheap. The best part about DoA costumes, typically, is that each really feels like they fit the character. When everyone's a nurse, or a maid, or an MMA fighter in the same shorts or what have you then it feels cheap by comparison, and reduces the differentiation in personality between the characters. The game could do without those copy-pasted costumes. On the other hand, the casual collection and Halloween costumes were bloody spectacular, so I can't complain too much. (Not that I bought them, I'm not a sucker!)

As for DoA6, I'm kinda hoping that Hitomi will get a redesign. She's the closest thing I have to a 'main', and always has been since I got into the series, but out of all the amazing redesigns in DoA5 I really feel like she got the short straw.

Eolz

I bought the maid costumes, and even if I really love them, I'm really disappointed by their physics. Lots of clipping sadly (pretty bad for photo mode or when there is a victory/defeat pose).

So, I haven't been keeping up with any news (or this thread, sorry!), what's the chance we get a DoA-related announcement (DoA5 remaster or 6) at TGS? Seems like the best place for Team Ninja to do it. Have there been any hints in their twitter feed? Have they had a lot of presence at TGS in the past? I can't remember how DoA5 was revealed / announced.

As you say a bit later, the only possibility I see is a PS4 version of Core Fighters. Even then, I think the chance for it is pretty low for various reasons: would need to make a port, and their team isn't that big and used on other projects. They're helping other KT teams (Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame, etc), and they hinted several times that their first "true" PS4/X1 project will be Ninja Gaiden 4. Apart from those 2-3 teams, my guess is that they have a small one supporting DOA5U (arcade + console) and another (big or not) on DOA6 early production (a year after NG4?). It's also really possible they have a small dedicated team on a smaller project
like DOA X 3, that would probably happen before DOA6 as a technology test

According to wikipedia, DOA5 was rumored as early as 2010 and revealed at TGS 2011. TN likes TGS like most japanese devs/pubs anyway, so I think they have some history with it. My guess for this year is
NG4 (maybe exclusive) and DOAX3 (with no localization announcement at first)
. Would make sense.

One thing I don't like, and where I agree with others in here, is that when all the characters get the same costumes it feels cheap. The best part about DoA costumes, typically, is that each really feels like they fit the character. When everyone's a nurse, or a maid, or an MMA fighter in the same shorts or what have you then it feels cheap by comparison, and reduces the differentiation in personality between the characters. The game could do without those copy-pasted costumes. On the other hand, the casual collection and Halloween costumes were bloody spectacular, so I can't complain too much. (Not that I bought them, I'm not a sucker!)

As for DoA6, I'm kinda hoping that Hitomi will get a redesign. She's the closest thing I have to a 'main', and always has been since I got into the series, but out of all the amazing redesigns in DoA5 I really feel like she got the short straw.

I disagree for some costumes. They're cheap, but they also usually are designed to fit the characters more than you may think. Those are slight differences that still count imo. They just should be priced lower for their lack of imagination.
I like Hitomi's redesign, like mostly every other character. Like others, I may find Helena a bit lacking though.
I just hope everyone, including DLC characters are back in DOA6
and including VF characters, their redesign was awesome

Griss

I bought the maid costumes, and even if I really love them, I'm really disappointed by their physics. Lots of clipping sadly (pretty bad for photo mode or when there is a victory/defeat pose).

As you say a bit later, the only possibility I see is a PS4 version of Core Fighters. Even then, I think the chance for it is pretty low for various reasons: would need to make a port, and their team isn't that big and used on other projects. They're helping other KT teams (Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame, etc), and they hinted several times that their first "true" PS4/X1 project will be Ninja Gaiden 4. Apart from those 2-3 teams, my guess is that they have a small one supporting DOA5U (arcade + console) and another (big or not) on DOA6 early production (a year after NG4?). It's also really possible they have a small dedicated team on a smaller project
like DOA X 3, that would probably happen before DOA6 as a technology test

According to wikipedia, DOA5 was rumored as early as 2010 and revealed at TGS 2011. TN likes TGS like most japanese devs/pubs anyway, so I think they have some history with it. My guess for this year is
NG4 (maybe exclusive) and DOAX3 (with no localization announcement at first)
. Would make sense.

I disagree for some costumes. They're cheap, but they also usually are designed to fit the characters more than you may think. Those are slight differences that still count imo. They just should be priced lower for their lack of imagination.
I like Hitomi's redesign, like mostly every other character. Like others, I may find Helena a bit lacking though.
I just hope everyone, including DLC characters are back in DOA6
and including VF characters, their redesign was awesome

Damn man, that was a thorough response. Thanks!

I suspected TN might have had all their teams busy, but it was interesting to see it all laid out like that. I'm still going to hope again hope for TGS, but at least now that hope will be tempered with realism.

ShinMaruku

According some rumbling DOAX3 is in development. As for DOA5 or 6 on Next Gen, next month there is TGS where we might hear something about it or the ground work for that is being laid down. So we should know soon enough.

I finally broke into B- rank. I am so proud of mahself.

I always heard that X2 wasn't as good as the first one, but I never got a 360 so I don't know. The new faces don't have me fiending for a new XBV, despite how much I played the first one.

9/2 can't come fast enough.

Ultimadrago

I don't really play the game at all these days, so I won't be buying more DLC (unless Marie Rose or Mila get something awesome to wear). But I hope they keep making money off the game.

Shin, I would jump fast on another DoAX. I don't know where this "rumbling" is coming from, but I hope it's true.

DOAX3 needs local and online multiplayer with all the characters. But I know it will only be the females again.

The mini games in 2 need to come back but more improved and I want to be able to explore the island this time.

Recently got this on PS3. Very much liking it for now. Easy to play and very fun. I am not much into fight games, i don't train combos or anything but its still very much for me.

Top Bottom