• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Had to go to class right when all her stuff was coming up.

Put your old one on your PS4 to be able to download all the DLC, make a new one to actually use it with. DLC isn't locked to profiles.

Good call!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The masks make sense- they're Tengu masks. :)

This character does a lot of very traditional "Japanese" things, but in an overly-sexualized way. The leather outfits are just...holy shit, good job on the life and hometown, TN. lol.

She's really fun to use, too. Way better than Marie Rose and Kasumi #3, IMO.

Can you remove the mask?

Yup, and you can also give her a mask for outfits without them.

Lyte Edge

Which outfits are included and which are DLC?

The ones on the bottom row are DLC. Her best ones are the non-DLC outfits.

540546BE497A350019

GGs Platinum.

I wish I could play Momiji a bit better but I guess it's just not meant to be. Oh well, at least I have Hitomi and a very rusty Ein.

raven777

Sonia surely must get in this series eventually.

I'm telling ya tho lads, my dream was a premonition. Kazuma Kiryu will be in.

lol I don't really care for male characters but that would be awesome.

would love to see Team Ninja's take on Aoi and Vanessa
500px-Aoi.jpg

1000px-Vanessa.jpg

The ones on the bottom row are DLC. Her best ones are the non-DLC outfits.

540546BE497A350019

Definitely. Her DLC outfits are pretty sucky. The white thong is her best outfit right now. The black latex one isnt too bad either.

For vanessa, I would hope they actually make her black again

vf_vanessa.jpg

:p

Hopefully Vanessa would lose some of that muscle if she made the DoA roster. Sarahs man-shoulders already make her stand out (in a bad way). Those white eyebrows look terrible too. Keep em black.

Lyte Edge

With the way they've handled the VF characters (not as much DLC support, no original or updated voices, no new moves, no taunts), I would much rather see new characters added instead.

stn

Kazuma from Yakuza would be the ultimate guest character, I'd buy the game again if this happened. Also, Ryo from Shenmue.

I have some questions about the mechanics.

Can you block all strikes with the Hold button?

How do you beat throws with strikes?

I know about the Triangle-Based system. Holds beat Strikes, Strikes beat Throws and Throws beat Holds

I have been playing in training. I can block strikes with just the hold button and I can throw when the opponent is holding but how do you precisely beat throws? Because you can still get thrown. If the opponent is attempting to throw me and yet I strike with a punch or kick and still get thrown. It does not prevent the throws like hold does with strikes.

I am new to all this and learning. This game is so much better than Tekken Revolution.

Griss

I have some questions about the mechanics.

Can you block all strikes with the Hold button?

How do you beat throws with strikes?

I know about the Triangle-Based system. Holds beat Strikes, Strikes beat Throws and Throws beat Holds

I have been playing in training. I can block strikes with just the hold button and I can throw when the opponent is holding but how do you precisely beat throws? Because you can still get thrown. If the opponent is attempting to throw me and yet I strike with a punch or kick and still get thrown. It does not prevent the throws like hold does with strikes.

I am new to all this and learning. This game is so much better than Tekken Revolution.

If you get a strike out in time, you will basically always negate a throw. It just depends on how long the strike you chose takes to actually connect. If it takes too long, you may already be thrown. Basically every character has one low power move that comes out really, really quickly. It's important to know what that is and use it if you think you're gonna get thrown.

It's also better to hold back to block strikes, and only use the hold button when you're actually trying to hold a strike. Pretty sure you know this, but 'hold' in DoA really means 'counter'.

If you think you're getting the strike out in time and you're still being thrown, are you sure your strike isn't being held (countered) instead? And remember, forward+hold counters mid-kicks, back+hold counters mid-punches, down-back and hold counters all low strikes and up-back and hold counters all high strikes (save some that come from above I think).

Keep messing around with the game, it's great and it's pretty intuitive. The one mistake I (and most people) made as a new player is to try and hold (counter) all the time, when really it's best to just block unless you're 90% sure what the next move in a string/combo your opponent is using is, or stunned and you can't do anything BUT hold.

I'm awful at this stuff, but those are the basics, I think.

It's also better to hold back to block strikes, and only use the hold button when you're actually trying to hold a strike. Pretty sure you know this, but 'hold' in DoA really means counter.

It actually is a but better to use the hold button to block. For example going from neutral to standing guard actually takes 1 frame when you hold back to block but it's instant when you use the hold button. Also by using hold to block you eliminate the risk of accidentally back stepping and giving your opponent a free CH. Personally I use a mix of both right now but overall it's much better to train yourself to use the hold button.

Griss

It actually is a but better to use the hold button to block. For example going from neutral to standing guard actually takes 1 frame when you hold back to block but it's instant when you use the hold button. Also by using hold to block you eliminate the risk of accidentally back stepping and giving your opponent a free CH. Personally I use a mix of both right now but overall it's much better to train yourself to use the hold button.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm sure that whatever advantage that one frame gives is negated by how much quicker I can press back rather than square on a gamepad though, lol. My finger is always right there.

Sorry for giving that other person bad advice!

If you get a strike out in time, you will basically always negate a throw. It just depends on how long the strike you chose takes to actually connect. If it takes too long, you may already be thrown. Basically every character has one low power move that comes out really, really quickly. It's important to know what that is and use it if you think you're gonna get thrown.

It's also better to hold back to block strikes, and only use the hold button when you're actually trying to hold a strike. Pretty sure you know this, but 'hold' in DoA really means 'counter'.

If you think you're getting the strike out in time and you're still being thrown, are you sure your strike isn't being held (countered) instead? And remember, forward+hold counters mid-kicks, back+hold counters mid-punches, down-back and hold counters all low strikes and up-back and hold counters all high strikes (save some that come from above I think).

Keep messing around with the game, it's great and it's pretty intuitive. The one mistake I (and most people) made as a new player is to try and hold (counter) all the time, when really it's best to just block unless you're 90% sure what the next move in a string/combo your opponent is using is, or stunned and you can't do anything BUT hold.

I'm awful at this stuff, but those are the basics, I think.

How do you do counters? I'm using the controller. Triangle for Punch. Circle for Kick. Square for Hold. X for Throw.

I did not know that Hold is counter. I am not too familiar with fighting games terminology. I actually thought Hold is block. I tested this out in Training. I can block (hold) against punches and kicks.

I tested this with the second controller and it seems you can block (hold) most attacks. However I played some Arcade and Survival and it seems to me that there is some attacks you cannot block but I do not know for certain. Sometimes I get stun locked and I cannot do anything. Not even hold against strikes.

That is why I was asking if it is possible to block all attacks? Are there any good resources that explain the mechanics in more details? Something for beginner? I am not looking into mastering it or anything for a high level gameplay.

One more thing though, I did some combo training and I was curious to know for those who do play fighting game competitively, do they memorise and learn all the moves for the characters? There is quite a lot for each character. I cannot remember the combo names. There must be like hundreds and to look at the entire roster, several hundreds. That is a lot to learn and memorise.

Skilletor

How do you do counters? I'm using the controller. Triangle for Punch. Circle for Kick. Square for Hold. X for Throw.

I did not know that Hold is counter. I am not too familiar with fighting games terminology. I actually thought Hold is block. I tested this out in Training. I can block (hold) against punches and kicks.

I tested this with the second controller and it seems you can block (hold) most attacks. However I played some Arcade and Survival and it seems to me that there is some attacks you cannot block but I do not know for certain. Sometimes I get stun locked and I cannot do anything. Not even hold against strikes.

That is why I was asking if it is possible to block all attacks? Are there any good resources that explain the mechanics in more details? Something for beginner? I am not looking into mastering it or anything for a high level gameplay.

One more thing though, I did some combo training and I was curious to know for those who do play fighting game competitively, do they memorise and learn all the moves for the characters? There is quite a lot for each character. I cannot remember the combo names. There must be like hundreds and to look at the entire roster, several hundreds. That is a lot to learn and memorise.

Did you do the tutorial mode? I thought it explained the basics very well.

Counters are back + hold for mid punch, forward + hold for mid kick, up+back (u/b) + hold for high attacks, down+back (d/b)+hold for low attacks.

99% of the attacks in the game are blockable. If theyr'e unblockable, the game will say it in red where it indicates combos that the move was unblockable.

And yep, people memorize all of the moves and combos for the characters they play. :)

Eolz

Played an hour or two with Nyotengu, and really like her so far.
Can't wait for her "official" tag team with Ayane (my main) in LR.

Kumubou

lwould love to see Team Ninja's take on Aoi and Vanessa
Vanessa would be fun in DoA, although I would see people playing her in OS about 90% of the time due to how DoA works. And I can't decide if Aoi would be absurdly broken or absolutely awful in DoA -- her guard cancel pressure in DoA would be nuts and ten'chi stance would be crazy good on defense, but the risk/reward on ten'chi would probably be all fucked up since you would do less damage (if even that, since DoA doesn't have frame data change on side turn) but eat HCH throws for half your life. It would probably come down to whatever adjustments they decided to make going from VF to DoA.

---------

Regarding holding back or H to block, I always use H to block out of habit, but holding back to guard is better (or at least cleaner) with fuzzy guard (which is generally really damn powerful in DoA, since there's only one frame of delay when crouching/standing throws and not six, like in VF). And if you're playing someone with a mid parry (like Gen-Fu or Lei-Fang), you absolutely have to do 334 to fuzzy as 33G gets you a mid parry 100% of the time. This has gotten me killed way too much, trying to fuzzy a throw and losing half of my life instead. D:

Decided to do Nyotengu's combo challenges

The last one isn't registering even though I'm finishing it. It ends in an air throw so, and that's connecting, so I don't know what's wrong

LowParry

So glad they brought back "Tengu" with Nyotengu. Takes me back to DOA4 days with him. Lots of fun playing her. Those unlocks through the difficulties. Goodness.

ShinMaruku

Since the gave Nyo Tengu and ass. Team Ninja you have 1 job, add Vanessa and give rher an Lisa fat asses. That's all I want.

I think I'm about to be in the middle of a character crisis again :/. As much as I love Hitomi, I've been finding Ein a bit more satisfying to play lately. My Ein is definitely not quite as good though, but it's probably because I don't spend much time at all training with him. I'll just have to play some more matches before I can decide whether it makes sense to switch or not.

ShinMaruku

One pointer that may help you decide. Ein's game plan is not based in doa 5 so he can get explosed a bit. He is short counter hit knock back game. Hitomi can do the same but she's better at it because she can actually string with her attacks. She is also quicker and she still hits like a truck. Also Ein can get counter picked HARD. So keep those things in mind. Ya need a good defense with Ein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujyyl2XZcXE
Love this match. Rig is so dangerous. However Momiji and Ayane are too and have higher damage tag combos.

One Day I should finish up my Ayane Phase 4 team.

shaowebb

One pointer that may help you decide. Ein's game plan is not based in doa 5 so he can get explosed a bit. He is short counter hit knock back game. Hitomi can do the same but she's better at it because she can actually string with her attacks. She is also quicker and she still hits like a truck. Also Ein can get counter picked HARD. So keep those things in mind. Ya need a good defense with Ein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujyyl2XZcXE
Love this match. Rig is so dangerous. However Momiji and Ayane are too and have higher damage tag combos.

One Day I should finish up my Ayane Phase 4 team.

God I love watching Rig in this so much. So much friggin damage that he was turning it around by himself. Waddya guys think of pairing Rig with either Gen Fu or Brad Wong? I main Brad and always will, but...well you can't spell Gettin Fucked with out Gen Fu.

Top Bottom