• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

RetroMG

I honestly a little surprised at just how good this game looks. Not talking about framerates or anything, but it's just such a pretty game, especially with 3d on.

Giolon said:
Harder difficulties of Arcade, Tag, and Survival I suppose? There's always online Multiplayer, which is more than can be said of pre-DOA4 titles. I don't know what else you're looking for.
I would guess he's looking for a standard "Arcade" style game where you choose a character, use that character to fight 10 or 12 other random (computer controlled) characters, followed by a boss. Then choose another character to do the same thing. With various difficulties. Pretty much every fighting game ever made has a mode like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Giolon said:
Harder difficulties of Arcade, Tag, and Survival I suppose? There's always online Multiplayer, which is more than can be said of pre-DOA4 titles. I don't know what else you're looking for.

You cant set the difficulty in these. Instead you're given set challenges at set difficulties. It's really annoying, as only one Arcade challenge goes above normal difficulty, and even then it's just set to hard. No 'True Fighter' difficulty at all in Arcade. Same goes for Tag. It's only until you get to the last few ranks of challenges that the difficulty peaks, otherwise it's really easy.

Not being able to set the difficulty mode in these is a glaring oversight.

Ninja Dom

EatChildren said:
You cant set the difficulty in these. Instead you're given set challenges at set difficulties. It's really annoying, as only one Arcade challenge goes above normal difficulty, and even then it's just set to hard. No 'True Fighter' difficulty at all in Arcade. Same goes for Tag. It's only until you get to the last few ranks of challenges that the difficulty peaks, otherwise it's really easy.

Not being able to set the difficulty mode in these is a glaring oversight.
It's exactly that.

The whole single player game (except Chronicles) seems like a series of set pre-determined challenges.

You can play Free Mode, choose your difficulty, choose you character, select random opponent, random stage and just keep fighting. This is the nearest to the Street Fighter single player Arcade mode.

The trouble with this Free Mode in DOA Dimensions is that there is no reward playing this mode and nothing to achieve. And it only ends once the player has had enough.

Ninja Dom said:
It's exactly that.

The whole single player game (except Chronicles) seems like a series of set pre-determined challenges.

You can play Free Mode, choose your difficulty, choose you character, select random opponent, random stage and just keep fighting. This is the nearest to the Street Fighter single player Arcade mode.

The trouble with this Free Mode in DOA Dimensions is that there is no reward playing this mode and nothing to achieve. And it only ends once the player has had enough.

So you're looking for a classic "8-stage" arcade mode? I get that but with online these days I'm certainly not missing it as much. There is still plenty to unlock in chronicles... I just wish it wasn't so dreadfully easy. Liking the game though.

Giolon

Ninja Dom said:
It's exactly that.

I don't really have a problem with that. I get to play DOA on on my handheld, and I'm happy with that. As long as I can fight random opponents, I don't really care if it ends at 8 or 10 or after a duration of my choosing. Chronicle mode has all the story stuff in it, like MK, which I think is a better approach. Once you've got all the costumes, which you unlock at least by playing Arcade mode, there's no "reward" anyway.

I just don't feel the need to freak out b/c some things are different than past titles. I guess I'm not hardcore enough into these games.

Finally trying the game out now, and they weren't kidding when it came to how the game looks when viewing in both 3D and 2D

Currently practicing some moves in training mode

B-Dex

Completing Survival with a character unlocks their system voice in the options menu.

Really liking all the modes they included.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't get why people are complaining about the battle system. I actually enjoy it. Everything you do has a risk but the pay offs are huge. aka if you play predictable you get owned bad

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
QisTopTier said:
I don't get why people are complaining about the battle system. I actually enjoy it. Everything you do has a risk but the pay offs are huge.
Hence the point of countering properly. I personally like it as well. I remember one battle online a person brutally owned me only using counters. Needless to say I was quite depressed afterwards.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
kayos90 said:
Hence the point of countering properly. I personally like it as well. I remember one battle online a person brutally owned me only using counters. Needless to say I was quite depressed afterwards.
Yeah, it's why there are all the delay and mix up options. Game kinda feels like a harder version of 3rd strike in a way... err if anyone gets that

B-Dex

Oh shi....

Once you beat all of the courses in Arcade mode you unlock
Metroid Geothermal Plant Stage

Luigi87

Interesting, in photo mode, if you take a picture in 2D, it saves it as a 2D pic, so when you view it in the photo viewer, when you highlight a 2D pic, the 3D light on the 3DS goes off, and it's labelled 2D.

RpgN said:
The Spotpass Kasumi costume looks great! The game is getting more fun and I'm just very happy with it :D Wow, can't believe how this one is leaving a different impression on me in comparison to DoA4, this brings me back to Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate 2, those were quality games.

Btw, despite DoAD not looking as good as I hoped, I like its performance better than DoA4 as well. DoA4 had some weird framerate slowdowns at times and the hairs looked weird on those characters, this has a more smooth experience and that's more important imo.

Glad to see Im not the only one who noticed. the game just does not look as good as what the pics made it out to be, the framerate hiccups are also a bit annoying. Still before I start complaining I am enjoying it and a lot of the fight mechanics that I did not like about DOA4 are not present here (namely the counter timing changes) either that of the 3DS d pad is 10x better then the 360 d pad lol. so for that alone I am pleased.

The stuff I don't like is some of the sound effects sound almost compressed like the fireworks effects on one of the stages (I forgot its name) makes the speakers crackle and even with headphones its still noticeable. The other thing that bugs me is the FMV's are compressed and the artifacts are fairly noticeable, which is something I had hoped would no long happen due to the increased cart size (DS FMV was always horribly compressed and it really hurts the presentation, sands of destruction being the biggest offender that comes to mind). I tried the online but for me it was really laggy so after 3 matches I stopped.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got it and played some online matches, then cleared all six arcade mode courses. I like that these all went QUICK and I had all but five of the characters (and that just leaves the bosses) when I was done. That was easily 12 minutes, tops. Still would have preferred to have everyone available from the start.

Online is a mixed bag. I only did same-region matches, and didn't get anything incredible smooth, but it was all entirely playable. I wonder if playing people using 3D mode (it's permanently off for me with this game) has any kind of effect on this. I'd equate it to DOA4 on Xbox 360. What I don't like is the lack of any kind of options, other than number of rounds. You can't choose to fight based on rank, and you can't choose to rematch. WTF?

But the game is incredibly solid. I've always been a fan of DOA and accept it for the more simplistic fighter that it is. It's always been a fun series to play, and Dimensions is no different. And I love that they are using themes and stages from all of the games.

Still have yet to get the first costume though. I have spot pass turned on, but...nothing.

EDIT: Got the DLC. Nice but I wish it was an original outfit.

really enjoying it. it plays great. frame rate in 3D seems fine (30 fps) during the actual gameplay, character intros and chronicles cutscenes (in engine) are definately lower than 30 though. in 2D it looks buttery smooth. i'm going to be going to 2D for the online, but all the single player i'm playing in 3D... this game looks great in 3D.

i just can't give up an edge :)

Just tried the throwdown challenge against Kasumi

I didn't win a single round :(

But I was close to winning the first....if I could do a better job of performing countering attacks

Luigi87

lazybones18 said:

But I was close to winning the first....if I could do a better job of performing countering attacks

I feel your pain =(

Chorazin

lazybones18 said:

I lost the first round, smoked her the second round, and got megapwned the third. :(

Fuuuck, I am so bad at this online. I'm like 5 and 17 now, it's sickening. I can't counter hold as well as everyone else online, it seems.

Synless

lazybones18 said:

I won the first round and got rocked the final two rounds. It has been too long since I've last played DoA. I am incredibly rusty.

I destroyed throwdown Kasumi the first round but the second round I kept getting countered and knocked against the wall I came back and won it (not by much though).

Pachinko

Loving this, so glad I finally have something worthwhile to invest time in on this handheld.

I had a bunch of reward zone $ but it turned out best buy didn't have it, then wal mart didn't have it so I reluctantly went to the EB by my house and it turned out an old friend was working and they had 3 copies in the back. So far it's the most amount of time I've invested into my 3DS in a single setting.

For any fan of DOA I highly recommend it.

dvolovets

I'm a bit lost with the game's combo/counter system. Never played a DOA game before, and there isn't really a tutorial in the game. What's the deal w/ the rock/paper/scissors system? How does countering work?...

Game is great. I was playing in 3D for most of the fights. Then I decided to try 2D.

Wow! In 2D this game is very smooth.

Played one online game and thought it played very well.

Overall i'm very happy.

Sorry if this has been asked already.. but how does the download costumes thing work?

I turned on spotpass and I only got the throwdown challenge...

Game is fantastic BTW

Luigi87

Rush2thestart said:
Sorry if this has been asked already.. but how does the download costumes thing work?

I turned on spotpass and I only got the throwdown challenge...

Game is fantastic BTW

Just wait and you'll eventually get it.

IE: I got Throwdown while I was playing, but I got the costume when I was completely quit from the game, and my 3DS was in sleep mode.

Haven't played any real fighting games since I was a kid. So getting a handle on Super Street Fighter IV took me some time but this game is pretty easy to get into. Really enjoying it and the Spotpass stuff is awesome.

I really hope more companies do the free DLC stuff like this.

RpgN

TheBanditKing said:
Glad to see Im not the only one who noticed. the game just does not look as good as what the pics made it out to be, the framerate hiccups are also a bit annoying. Still before I start complaining I am enjoying it and a lot of the fight mechanics that I did not like about DOA4 are not present here (namely the counter timing changes) either that of the 3DS d pad is 10x better then the 360 d pad lol. so for that alone I am pleased.

The stuff I don't like is some of the sound effects sound almost compressed like the fireworks effects on one of the stages (I forgot its name) makes the speakers crackle and even with headphones its still noticeable. The other thing that bugs me is the FMV's are compressed and the artifacts are fairly noticeable, which is something I had hoped would no long happen due to the increased cart size (DS FMV was always horribly compressed and it really hurts the presentation, sands of destruction being the biggest offender that comes to mind). I tried the online but for me it was really laggy so after 3 matches I stopped.

We should really expect that by now with all the bullshots but we never learn. It would have been incredible if we had a DoA portable with Ultimate or 3 graphics, maybe in the future. Same here, it just plays better and flows more smoothly that gives it a better experience.

So far I'm not bothered about the sound effects but the FMV is noticable. I wasn't expecting it to look like that and was hoping we would go past that now. Even the PSP handles this better and that was released a long time ago. I still haven't tried online mode and starting to get worried.

Triz said:
I thought the throwdown was awfully easy, maybe I just play doa too much.

It's weird because I destroyed Kasumi the first round with perfect but on the second round I lost and she was more challenging, then I won the third round thanks to countering often. It's not that super easy but you would expect more from an S rank fight.

Giolon

dvolovets said:
I'm a bit lost with the game's combo/counter system. Never played a DOA game before, and there isn't really a tutorial in the game. What's the deal w/ the rock/paper/scissors system? How does countering work?...
The Chronicle mode features a tutorial on every single game mechanic one at a time, but here's an abbreviated version:

There are three types of attacks: Strikes, Holds, and Throws.

Strikes beat Throws. Throws beat Holds. Holds beat Strikes.

In addition, Strikes can be aimed a three different levels: High, Middle, and Low.

In order to stop a Strike, you must either block or Hold it. Pressing Free with no direction will block High and Middle strikes. Pressing Free with Down will block low strikes.

To counter (Hold) a strike, you must press the Free button with a direction corresponding to the height of the strike. Up back + Free for High, Back + Free for Middle, and down back + Free for Low.

shaowebb

BRAD.WONG.

He is the only proper and smooth interpretation of one of the greatest fighting styles I ever learned to perform and eventually spar with in class; Zui Quan otherwise known as Drunken Fist.

The style is all about 3 things and only Brad Wong has ever displayed them correctly.

1. Generating force similar to how a wave does when it crashes. Flow back and snap all of the force forward with your weight behind the strike. As the blood in your muscles flexes suddenly from a relaxed position thats in a coiled state into a lunging whiplike shot you create a whipsnap of force that compounds with your angular momentum and even your weight behind it in some of the strikes similar to how a rope dart works.
  2. Staying loose and light footed. You hit with all you got and lunge at angles that turn your arms into spears while keeping your chest and other extremities out of attack angles (thus the arching). You keep your footwork light so that if swept you kick up and land in either the equivalent of capoeria negativa, skip to the other foot, or so that you can roll to the side and land in the T position strike in drunken { on one leg, arms and opposite leg thrust outward opposite of each other. Meant to strike in front of and behind you simultaneously}
  3. And finally, misdirection. I fall, you rush in. The fall is usually to put me in a position to brace my shoulders into the ground and thrust a leg straight up like a braced spear for you to impale yourself on. Failing this you perform a flare and roll out or sweep them. If I fall into you it's to activate your subconscious reflex to balance yourself. You get nudge backward you lean forward slightly to keep from tipping back or losing ground. My crash into you was to get you to try and brace for the impact. Pot hand style has me crash just to set up a tug as I feel your muscles tense to brace and maintain balance. When you flex I DO and thus throw your ass. Word of advice...if a drunken practitioner spars you and gets inside pull him toward you during dive ins and go for choke outs. It'll overbalance the first part of his tactic disabling the second part because he'll lose his footing.

Think the others are any good at this.

Lei Wulong from Tekken? Too stiff, and doesn't use his hips enough. Makes him look and act predictable. If I sparred in form as stiff as he was I wouldn't generate any power on wrist strikes nor could I ever utilize a proper phoenix eye fist if needed as stiff as his hips look. His lunge and dodge usage would be completely gone as squared up as he stays in his drunken stances.

Chin Gentsai from KOF? Please...you can't do anything in the drunken style like that. He'd fall on his ass and his angle of descent would take the force out of his uppercut wrist shots. He should stick to the damned gourd.

Shun Di from Virtua Fighter? Again too stiff and predictable. Not to the point of losing balance but he wont generate much force in his stances. Completely wrong footwork for this kind of style from him.

Bo Rai Cho from Mortal Kombat? Let's just say we should all be throwing up watching him pretend to know drunken fist.

Brad Wong folks. He's the only drunken style fighter doing it right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goron2000 said:
Do you have to turn 3D off in a menu to get the max fps or is it just a case of lowering the slider?

Just lower the slider.

low-G

Got it and played a bunch yesterday. Fun game, great visuals, good 2nd 3DS game for me. The only thing I'm missing is a normal randomized arcade mode. Also, so far I've only been able to face 6 challenges in arcade mode, do more unlock later (going to scour this thread thoroughly in a moment, but I haven't seen any mention of this)?

Played a single round online where I devastated my opponent. Played pretty smoothly.

lazybones18 said:

Won on the first attempt with Ayane <3

Micius

shaowebb said:
BRAD.WONG.

He is the only proper and smooth interpretation of one of the greatest fighting styles I ever learned to perform and eventually spar with in class; Zui Quan otherwise known as Drunken Fist.

The style is all about 3 things and only Brad Wong has ever displayed them correctly.

1. Generating force similar to how a wave does when it crashes. Flow back and snap all of the force forward with your weight behind the strike. As the blood in your muscles flexes suddenly from a relaxed position thats in a coiled state into a lunging whiplike shot you create a whipsnap of force that compounds with your angular momentum and even your weight behind it in some of the strikes similar to how a rope dart works.
  2. Staying loose and light footed. You hit with all you got and lunge at angles that turn your arms into spears while keeping your chest and other extremities out of attack angles (thus the arching). You keep your footwork light so that if swept you kick up and land in either the equivalent of capoeria negativa, skip to the other foot, or so that you can roll to the side and land in the T position strike in drunken { on one leg, arms and opposite leg thrust outward opposite of each other. Meant to strike in front of and behind you simultaneously}
  3. And finally, misdirection. I fall, you rush in. The fall is usually to put me in a position to brace my shoulders into the ground and thrust a leg straight up like a braced spear for you to impale yourself on. Failing this you perform a flare and roll out or sweep them. If I fall into you it's to activate your subconscious reflex to balance yourself. You get nudge backward you lean forward slightly to keep from tipping back or losing ground. My crash into you was to get you to try and brace for the impact. Pot hand style has me crash just to set up a tug as I feel your muscles tense to brace and maintain balance. When you flex I DO and thus throw your ass. Word of advice...if a drunken practitioner spars you and gets inside pull him toward you during dive ins and go for choke outs. It'll overbalance the first part of his tactic disabling the second part because he'll lose his footing.

Think the others are any good at this.

Lei Wulong from Tekken? Too stiff, and doesn't use his hips enough. Makes him look and act predictable. If I sparred in form as stiff as he was I wouldn't generate any power on wrist strikes nor could I ever utilize a proper phoenix eye fist if needed as stiff as his hips look. His lunge and dodge usage would be completely gone as squared up as he stays in his drunken stances.

Chin Gentsai from KOF? Please...you can't do anything in the drunken style like that. He'd fall on his ass and his angle of descent would take the force out of his uppercut wrist shots. He should stick to the damned gourd.

Shun Di from Virtua Fighter? Again too stiff and predictable. Not to the point of losing balance but he wont generate much force in his stances. Completely wrong footwork for this kind of style from him.

Bo Rai Cho from Mortal Kombat? Let's just say we should all be throwing up watching him pretend to know drunken fist.

Brad Wong folks. He's the only drunken style fighter doing it right.

Somewhat off topic, but do you have any footage of yourself sparring with drunken boxing? I am kind of curious because while it has been widely told that So Chan of the Ten Tigers of Kwantung specialized in this style for actual combat, there is little to no footage of practical use of this style. Most of the footage of drunken boxing is either in demonstration form or from movies. There is also a clip from Youtube from a Japanese TV show where they got a couple of kyokushin karate practitioners to fight alleged kung fu practitioners, one of which appeared to be using drunken boxing, it was pretty one sided for karate and the less said about that clip the better.

Medalion

Banned
I dunno if this was already asked here before

I live on the west coast of Canada, and the game should've been released yesterday, but I swear none of the stores I've checked that sell 3DS games is carrying it...

anybody know what's the deal?

squall23

Medalion said:
I dunno if this was already asked here before

I live on the west coast of Canada, and the game should've been released yesterday, but I swear none of the stores I've checked that sell 3DS games is carrying it...

anybody know what's the deal?
Futureshop and Best Buy (and maybe other stores) for some reason have it delayed until May 31st. So for anybody that knows a place that sells this in Canada that isn't a Gamestop, do tell.

Top Bottom