• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Giolon

kiryogi said:
Spoiler bit I guess, for Ninja Gaiden fans . . .

Sonia is Irene?!?!!!

Yeah,
she has the same basic hairstyle and general look, the same profession, the same chest tattoo, and perhaps most importantly, the same Japanese voice actress.
. I love how Team Ninja is increasing the ties between these two game series.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How many costumes supposed to have on the cart? I thought it was three each, but then I played someone online with a costume I hadn't seen yet. It wasn't the DLC Kasumi outfit and this was a U.S. region match...

Lyte Edge said:
How many costumes supposed to have on the cart? I thought it was three each, but then I played someone online with a costume I hadn't seen yet. It wasn't the DLC Kasumi outfit and this was a U.S. region match...
I haven't unlocked them all but apparently most characters have only 3 while some others have 4, Ayane has 5 though.

Lyte Edge said:
it might be a minimum of three each. i already unlocked four for Lei Fang. she had a lot more than that in DOA4, so i don't know if that is all of hers.

Chorazin

Wooo unlocked Christie before bed last night, gonna hit the Arcade mode with her at lunch. I was pretty good with her in DOA4 so I'm hoping I can continue that in DOA:D. Her snake style or whatever is so cool looking.

I hope she has some good costumes!

Chorazin said:
Wooo unlocked Christie before bed last night, gonna hit the Arcade mode with her at lunch. I was pretty good with her in DOA4 so I'm hoping I can continue that in DOA:D. Her snake style or whatever is so cool looking.

I hope she has some good costumes!

christie is my favourite in all of the doa games where she is in <3
her style is just so unique

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Game does look really good in motion (particularly in 2D). I understand halving the framerate for 3D, but it's a shame they actually halve the interludes as well. The non-fighting segments run at 30 fps in 2D mode and 15 fps in 3D mode. Looks extremely choppy.

Kuran

Banned
dark10x said:
Game does look really good in motion (particularly in 2D). I understand halving the framerate for 3D, but it's a shame they actually halve the interludes as well. The non-fighting segments run at 30 fps in 2D mode and 15 fps in 3D mode. Looks extremely choppy.

Wow, 15fps.

DSmalls84

I activated Street Pass and Spot Pass and was able to get the Kasumi Costume for today. I haven't really left the 3ds in Sleep mode much since I got it. Can someone tell me if it makes a difference if I leave wifi activated while the system is in sleep mode or not? Also will this drain the battery quickly?

DSmalls84 said:
I activated Street Pass and Spot Pass and was able to get the Kasumi Costume for today. I haven't really left the 3ds in Sleep mode much since I got it. Can someone tell me if it makes a difference if I leave wifi activated while the system is in sleep mode or not? Also will this drain the battery quickly?

SpotPass works fine while you're in wifi mode (well you actually need it for SpotPass). Not sure if StreetPass is disabled while you are in wifi or not though. I've heard different opinions on that.

I generally take my 3DS everywhere with me in sleep mode and lasts all day without losing much battery life. I have a full bar when I get home at the end of the day. WiFi is always activated (not necessarily connected to a hub though).

Chorazin

DSmalls84 said:

Well if you don't leave wifi on you won't get SpotPass content. It will drain the battery, but leaving wifi on all the time is what makes SpotPass and StreetPass awesome.

I've championed the Nyko PowerPak+ battery pack in many 3DS threads and I'll continue to champion it here. Double the battery life, much better hand feel when playing, and cheap!

DoctorWho said:
Not sure if StreetPass is disabled while you are in wifi or not though. I've heard different opinions on that.

StreetPass will work when connected to wifi in sleep mode. It alternates between checking for StreetPass and checking for SpotPass.

Chorazin said:
Well if you don't leave wifi on you won't get SpotPass content. It will drain the battery, but leaving wifi on all the time is what makes SpotPass and StreetPass awesome.

I've championed the Nyko PowerPak+ battery pack in many 3DS threads and I'll continue to champion it here. Double the battery life, much better hand feel when playing, and cheap!

StreetPass will work when connected to wifi in sleep mode. It alternates between checking for StreetPass and checking for SpotPass.

I'm very tempted by the PowerPak but how does it work with the 3DS dock? I've seen it for a good price at EB. Seems like a great deal.

Nester

DoctorWho said:
I'm very tempted by the PowerPak but how does it work with the 3DS dock? I've seen it for a good price at EB. Seems like a great deal.

It doesn't. There's a proprietary dock sold separately for the PowerPak.

DSmalls84

Ok thanks for the input. I have had my 3ds since launch and carry it around in my bag to work with me every day, but for whatever reason never put it into sleep mode.

Chorazin

DoctorWho said:

Well, it doesn't work with the Nintendo dock, period. If you like the dock, they sell a bundle version with the battery and their own dock for $30. I just have the battery, the dock's not a big deal to me.

Skilletor

Played 2 online matches last night. One was choppy, one was smooth. Really good AYane player in the smooth match. Jakob, I think.

How do you find your own friend code on the 3DS?

Luigiv

dark10x said:
Ah, that would explain all this "framerate dip" talk. Like I've saying, 3D at half the frame rate of it's 2D counterpart should be less intensive on the hardware then said 2D counterpart, so it wouldn't make sense that 3D would see framerate dips that 2D wouldn't see. Cutscenes being capped at half the frame rate for both modes makes a lot more sense (and would explain why most didn't notice in 2D).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
Is it locked at 60/30 otherwise?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cutscenes use HQ assets as well as other effects, like DOF, which is likely why the framerate tanks in these modes. Character models feature more detailed textures than standard fights, and the background is blurred. You can also see this in photo mode, where the famerate too is comparable to the cutscenes/animations.

Doing a bit of testing, I'm suspicious that DOF is the culprit behind the framerate hits. Often the exit/entry fight animations, which make heavy use of DOF, have far worse framerates than many of the cutscenes in Chronicles mode, especially those using little or no DOF.

The system might have a bit of trouble rendering DOF in 3D, or it simply might require optimisation.

Chorazin said:
Well, it doesn't work with the Nintendo dock, period. If you like the dock, they sell a bundle version with the battery and their own dock for $30. I just have the battery, the dock's not a big deal to me.

Yeah, I wouldn't prioritize the dock over more battery life. I'll definitely look into it.

Can't wait to get this today! : )

DSmalls84 said:

Well why don’t you just leave it in the charging dock while StreetPass/SpotPass is activated? That should fix your problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but putting it in the charging dock with the battery level still full won't hurt the battery.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
La Mariposa's DLC costume is just a reskin Tina's. What a jib.

Got the game yesterday and played the first chapter and a few online matches. It does look really good. The few online matches I played were smooth and I actually managed to win a match. This is my first DOA purchase and I'm really enjoying it so far. I just need to get better.

Chorazin

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I wouldn't prioritize the dock over more battery life. I'll definitely look into it.

It also feels a million times better in your hands, too. It adds thickness and it's got that soft-touch plastic. So good for long game sessions!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
EatChildren said:
La Mariposa's DLC costume is just a reskin Tina's. What a jib.

It was like that in DOA4, too. It's because they're shown as tag-team partners in the wrasslin' ring, so you're getting matching costumes. Too bad there's nothing other than CPU tag mode available!

Chorazin said:
It also feels a million times better in your hands, too. It adds thickness and it's got that soft-touch plastic. So good for long game sessions!

I think I may go pick one of these up today. My hands tend to cramp up when playing SSF4 in particular.

EatChildren

[Nintex] said:
Worst game design decision of 2011?

You can still play it with a buddy, which is great fun, even if you're stuck fighting AI. The worst part is that when you're playing with an AI buddy they can tag themselves in whenver they like.

That is the worst game design decision of 2011.

Chorazin

DoctorWho said:
How heavy is it?

It doesn't add a ton of weight, only a few more ounces. The comfort in holding it makes up for any additional wrist fatigue.

Lyte Edge said:
I think I may go pick one of these up today. My hands tend to cramp up when playing SSF4 in particular.

Yeah, SSFIV was unplayabe for me using the D-pad until I got the battery.

On a DOA:D note, only 48 more minutes until my lunch break and to start re-learning Christie!

Skilletor

EatChildren said:
You can still play it with a buddy, which is great fun, even if you're stuck fighting AI. The worst part is that when you're playing with an AI buddy they can tag themselves in whenver they like.

It's been that way since DoA2.

What new moves do character's have?

Kasumi has 2kk
Hitomi has 4kk

Ayane has some spin stuff I don't remember her having. pp6p6

She could have had that in DoA4, but I don't think so. It's been awhile.

Tina has a new throw.

What is new?

Luigi87

EatChildren said:
The worst part is that when you're playing with an AI buddy they can tag themselves in whenver they like.

So very true...

Often it is like this for me:
>Get hurt
>CPU tags itself in, and I recover
>I tag myself in and CPU opponent immediately combos or throws me, causing CPU partner to tag itself in again

Chorazin said:
It doesn't add a ton of weight, only a few more ounces. The comfort in holding it makes up for any additional wrist fatigue.

Yeah, SSFIV was unplayabe for me using the D-pad until I got the battery.

On a DOA:D note, only 48 more minutes until my lunch break and to start re-learning Christie!
i just unlocked her.

arcade mode just can't stop giving you shit. i know it's painfully easy, but i keep coming back for the rewards.

it sure beats the amount of grinding you had to do in 4 to unlock all the costumes.

MjFrancis

I did all of that grinding, too. It's a barrier to doing it again since I don't use that gamertag any longer, but still ever so tempting.

Chairhome

Been playing through Chronicle (At Chapter 3 now) and a little bit of Arcade. Its been okay so far, I love the fluid animations, and the fighting system is decent, but I feel like I want more in the package... No character endings? :-(. At least there are a bunch of costumes unlocked. And I must have blinked and missed it, but in Chronicle (regarding Ninja Gaiden)
, it says that Irene died in NES NG II, but then she appears later, how?

Chorazin

Chairhome said:
Been playing through Chronicle (At Chapter 3 now) and a little bit of Arcade. Its been okay so far, I love the fluid animations, and the fighting system is decent, but I feel like I want more in the package... No character endings? :-(. At least there are a bunch of costumes unlocked. And I must have blinked and missed it, but in Chronicle (regarding Ninja Gaiden)
, it says that Irene died in NES NG II, but then she appears later, how?

I think all the DOA games take place before the Ninja Gaiden games, but I could be wrong...

Chorazin

plagiarize said:
i just unlocked her.

arcade mode just can't stop giving you shit. i know it's painfully easy, but i keep coming back for the rewards.

it sure beats the amount of grinding you had to do in 4 to unlock all the costumes.

Good lord you are right, Arcade mode is dead simple. I think I've gotten hit once in the first three courses and that was because I looked away from the 3DS!

d0c_zaius

EatChildren said:

most definitely, a really puzzling design choice.

Some of the later tag mode fights had me screaming hate at the world.

Picked this up for $30 last night at TRU. As a long time DOA fan I'm really enjoying it. The 3D effects are great, and except for the choppiness in the brief pre-match scenes I think the game is very well done. Plays well on the system, too. Better than DOA4 and I love the move list on the bottom, especially for Tina's multi-part throws. Played a couple matches online and got destroyed, but the experience was quick and relatively lag-free. My favorite 3DS game, along with Ridge Racer. I have SSFIV as well but I simply can't stand playing 6-button fighters with 4-button face layouts, I'll be selling that shortly and sticking with the console/upcoming PC version.

Synless

The thing that bothers me the most about the graphics in this game is the loss of animation on the clothing and hair. The PS2 version of DoA2 that came out around the launch of the system had better animation.

Skilletor

Synless said:
The thing that bothers me the most about the graphics in this game is the loss of animation on the clothing and hair. The PS2 version of DoA2 that came out around the launch of the system had better animation.

I don't remember DoA having good animation for hair (always been stringy clumps that look and stick awkwardly when it moves), and most of the characters don't wear flowing clothes.

I think the animation in the game is amazing, as always. Consistent with other games in the series.

Top Bottom