• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Synless

Skilletor said:
I don't remember DoA having good animation for hair (always been stringy clumps that look and stick awkwardly when it moves), and most of the characters don't wear flowing clothes.

I think the animation in the game is amazing, as always. Consistent with other games in the series.
Watch any video from any of the other DoA's, it is clearly worse. The hair clumpy or not, is animating far worse than any other DoA. Kasumi is a prime example, her hair is like a piece of cardboard now and the clothing is far worse as well.

Skilletor

Synless said:
Watch any video from any of the other DoA's, it is clearly worse. The hair clumpy or not, is animating far worse than any other DoA. Kasumi is a prime example, her hair is like a piece of cardboard now and the clothing is far worse as well.

If you say so. I don't see it.

Actually, just watched a vid from DoA4. Hair moves like it's paper in the wind. So, there's less animation in DoA: D (I'll assume), but hair still looks like ass in DoA4.

Chorazin

Played through the first five Arcade courses with Christie...oh yeah there's the stuff. Shame the three costumes I have for her suck. :(

Luigi87

Skilletor said:
Do we have a costume count? If it's only 4-5 per person, that's pretty disappointing.

Does seem to be that.
4 for some characters, 3 for the majority, and then additional DLC for each.

Anywho, I was thinking "There's no way Arcade mode can be that insultingly easy" as some people were making it out... Then I get through the first course without getting hit once...
... That's really sad...

GrayFoxPL

Luigi87 said:
Does seem to be that.
4 for some characters, 3 for the majority, and then additional DLC for each.

Anywho, I was thinking "There's no way Arcade mode can be that insultingly easy" as some people were making it out... Then I get through the first course without getting hit once...
... That's really sad...

Costume count falls with every new DOA. Remember the bazilion costumes in DOA2 Hardcore? In 4 there were few with different color palettes.

Doa 1+ had the best for Jeann Lee.

Synless

Skilletor said:
If you say so. I don't see it.

Actually, just watched a vid from DoA4. Hair moves like it's paper in the wind. So, there's less animation in DoA: D (I'll assume), but hair still looks like ass in DoA4.
I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near the 360 versions animation level, but when it can't even match the PS2 version, something is wrong.

low-G

Synless said:
I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near the 360 versions animation level, but when it can't even match the PS2 version, something is wrong.

They used all that power to have separate physics for each breast. DOA4 on 360 didn't even have that, correct? DoAD definitely does.

Skilletor

GrayFoxPL said:
Costume count falls with every new DOA. Remember the bazilion costumes in DOA2 Hardcore? In 4 there were few with different color palettes.

DoA2:U was great. Man, I miss those days.

Hopefully they'll have lots of DLC for this game, then. I want Kagero's Deception Ayane.

enjoyed chronicle... it's a shame you don't get to see more of the different characters, and what they were up to. Zack seems a big omission, espescially given the ending.

ending spoiler:

it'd be nice to see why him and Helena have some sort of relationship.

just unlocked Eliot's third costume. hahahahahahaha... oh god this should be fun online.

Giolon

plagiarize said:
enjoyed chronicle... it's a shame you don't get to see more of the different characters, and what they were up to. Zack seems a big omission, espescially given the ending.

ending spoiler:

it'd be nice to see why him and Helena have some sort of relationship.
They really don't have one. That's just the ending. Due to what you see,
Zack is the official winner of the 4th DOA tournament, since blowing up the building made Helena forfeit her victory
. Zack has always been somewhat of a joke character.

I enjoyed Chronicle mode a lot too. Even though I've only played through DOA2H and 4, I had a surprisingly thorough overview of the overall story arcs, but it was great to see it all laid out and get those few missing pieces filled in. I thought it was pretty cool how they utilized the CGI cutscenes from previous games in appropriate places to help tie the story together and place all of those events into a more-or-less coherent timeline. The retconning of DOA3-4 characters into earlier parts of the story was...interesting to say the least (even though I some had been mentioned in what passed for pre-fight cutscenes in prior games).

My only real disappointment about the Chronicle mode are the low difficulty (I think I lost 1 match the whole time, but quite a few were close), and the fact that the tight focus on the primary Ninja/DOATEC story meant that there was little to no room for anybody else's stories to be explored. Leon got a 3 second cutscene. Lei Fang and Jann Lee are shown fighting for absolutely no reason at all. Tina and Bass have like two lines of dialogue to each other each.

And damn, Christie seemed a lot more like a evil bitch here than she ever did before.

Skilletor said:
Is there a confirmed method to unlock bosses?
i unlocked about half of them, going through the arcade mode as Eliot. i'm sure there's lots of ways to unlock them though. i'm still missing two spots on my character screen.

Anyone else in the U.S. having issues with the SpotPass content?
Haven't received anything after 24 hours with the wifi/network settings all enabled
and in and out of sleep mode with the system never powered down completely.

vikingvessel said:
Haven't received anything after 24 hours with the wifi/network settings all enabled

I'm in Canada. SpotPass content showed up almost instantly after I got back to an area with wifi. I later received another spotpass message informing me of when all the DOA costumes will be released.

Chorazin

vikingvessel said:

Did you make the extra data when the game asked you to at the beginning?

I didn't get the SpotPass notification until after I got the content for some reason. Put your game in and see if it has the blue dot or load it up and see if it detects the content.

Chorazin said:
Did you make the extra data when the game asked you to at the beginning?

I didn't get the SpotPass notification until after I got the content for some reason. Put your game in and see if it has the blue dot or load it up and see if it detects the content.

hmmm... thought I did...
Been slowly playing through first four chapters of chronicles and noticed no changes
beyond the unlocked goodies and keep looking for the blue dot or a message
in the mode select screen and still no changes. going to double check for the extra data...

thanks for heads up.

Skilletor

I just played 4-5 more matches. Was relatively smooth, always playable. It's not the best netcode ever, but it's passable.

The F bothers me. The quest for SS begins.

wackojackosnose said:
Tag Mode.

<shudder>

Ew.

I kind of like that jabs reset stun. Makes for a bit less guessing. Also sets up OH moves very well.

vikingvessel said:

Played mine all day yesterday, checked it this morning, didnt receive the kasumi dlc costume until 2 hours later after I got to work.

its hard but be patient.

FlashbladeGAF said:
Played mine all day yesterday, checked it this morning, didnt receive the kasumi dlc costume until 2 hours later after I got to work.

its hard but be patient.

Thanks!
not a peep yet and double and triple checking the settings hasn't yielded any results.
will give patience a shot.

Giolon said:
Yeah,
she has the same basic hairstyle and general look, the same profession, the same chest tattoo, and perhaps most importantly, the same Japanese voice actress.
. I love how Team Ninja is increasing the ties between these two game series.

Wow, holy crap. Didn't see that one coming at all, that's fucking awesome.

So Ryu/"Sonia" is gonna be OTP then. I've never seen the tattoo on the original Irene, any screenshots or anything of that?

Skilletor said:
What new moves do character's have?

Kasumi has 2kk
Hitomi has 4kk

Ayane has some spin stuff I don't remember her having. pp6p6

She could have had that in DoA4, but I don't think so. It's been awhile.

Tina has a new throw.

What is new?
I believe Tina's "new" throw is actually from DOA1 or ++. Jann Lee has a new move where he sort of gets on one knee and uppercuts the opponents gut. 3p+k

Giolon

AlphaDragoon said:
Giolon said:
Yeah,
she has the same basic hairstyle and general look, the same profession, the same chest tattoo, and perhaps most importantly, the same Japanese voice actress
. I love how Team Ninja is increasing the ties between these two game series.
Wow, holy crap. Didn't see that one coming at all, that's fucking awesome.

So Ryu/"Sonia" is gonna be OTP then. I've never seen the tattoo on the original Irene, any screenshots or anything of that?

The tattoo is not on the original Irene, just the new version (as well as on Sonia).
DOAD Irene

NG(S)2 Sonia

Giolon said:
The tattoo is not on the original Irene, just the new version (as well as on Sonia).
DOAD Irene

NG(S)2 Sonia

So I have a question,
Do they actually flat out say that she's Irene? And do they use Irene or the Japanese version (Aileen)?

DR2K

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:

Most outfits were unique in DOA4, and had a few costume color swaps. Count ranged from 3-8 per character.

Skilletor

About 20 matches now online. I've run into a few good players.

My nick is skillzilla if any gaffers have run into me.

Having a lot of fun.

Bog

Junior Ace
MrMephistoX said:
Good game, just can't get used to playing fighters on the 3DS pad so I'm going to sell it. $28 and a PM and it's yours.

Isn't this $29.99 new at TRU this week?

Skilletor

I just ran into a Jin Master. I don't know if it was actually the tekken player, but I seem to remember him playing Hayate...and this one was pretty fierce.

...I eked out a win. :)

fionel

Last DoA I played was DoA2 on the PS2, so I really looked forward to this. After getting it yesterday and spending a few hours with it, I have to say my feelings are a little mixed.

I knew that Chronicle mode is there to tie up all the stories together, so I already expected long cutscene runtimes. However, not only are they way longer than the actual gameplay you get in this mode, most of the "cutscenes" are nothing more than digital comics with 3D backgrounds and models - characters have no animations (besides their hair/clothing) nor lip-sync. I've finished ch. 3 so far and I'd say 70% of the battles are basically tutorials teaching you different mechanisms. So to me, this is more like a glorified tutorial mode than a story mode.

Unless I am missing something, the lack of option to change difficulties AT ALL in all of the modes is very jarring. The design decision to have pre-set difficulty in different modes/courses is already bad enough, but having an extremely easy difficulty setting as default just rubs salt to the wound. I think after finishing Chronicle mode and unlocking chars/costumes there would be no incentive to play the single player modes, which leads me to my next point...

The internet mode. After being disappointed at not being able to play at 60fps online in SSF4, I couldn't wait to see this running smoothly online. I've played about 10 matches so far. While lag is present, the game runs passably online. However I have the say the netcode in SSF4 is just obviously so much better. In DoA, it feels like every lost packet or connection spike reflects directly in the match as a slight pause, so even if the game could probably run at 60fps if you have a perfect connection with the other player, most of the time it won't feel like 60fps b/c you get these 1-5 frame pauses all the time.

Also, the inability to do rematch with your opponent means you have to do go back to the menu and do an auto-match again every time you finish a fight. (I'm not sure but maybe this would be different if you played with a friend.) Combine that with the inability to set parameters for the automatching (like match with people of your rank) and the frequency of initial connection failure when you find a match, it easily builds frustration and you can't help but think that they could have used a few more months to just polish the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Hamblasto

Well, just unlocked everyone, and crap is that last tag challenge hard.

I know I'm a scrub, but I could not find a way to beat that challenge without resorting to cheap tactics like spamming Kasumi's 4P+K.

shaowebb

Micius said:
Somewhat off topic, but do you have any footage of yourself sparring with drunken boxing? I am kind of curious because while it has been widely told that So Chan of the Ten Tigers of Kwantung specialized in this style for actual combat, there is little to no footage of practical use of this style. Most of the footage of drunken boxing is either in demonstration form or from movies. There is also a clip from Youtube from a Japanese TV show where they got a couple of kyokushin karate practitioners to fight alleged kung fu practitioners, one of which appeared to be using drunken boxing, it was pretty one sided for karate and the less said about that clip the better.

Naw, it doesn't really go over well when you're waiting to spar to pass a camera at someone and say "watch this" before hitting the ring. If I had someone to come to practice I could've just gave them a camera and told them to film everything, but as is it was just me and the gang in crosslanes so no dice since we all had matches to do.

Their might be footage of me in the 2002 Shaolin-Do National held in Kentucky doing it, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for those matches on youtube. I didn't win top 3 though. I made it as far as 4th and got taken out by a normal sparrer who was solid on his basics and was fast as hell.

Brad Wong would've took 1st.

Ninja Dom

Hamblasto said:
Well, just unlocked everyone, and crap is that last tag challenge hard.

I know I'm a scrub, but I could not find a way to beat that challenge without resorting to cheap tactics like spamming Kasumi's 4P+K.
Same. I had to spam one of Ryu's moves over and over. But the AI fell for it every single time.

I tried the 100 match Survivor mode last night. I got 89 wins. That probably took over 30 minutes to get that far.

Luigiv

Bought the game earlier today and sunk some time into a few of the modes but mostly chronicles. Shit makes no sense. The progression between individual cutscenes and fights is simply non existent. And the weird "motion comic" style animations don't help. Who exactly thought this story was worth abridging in the first place?

On a more positive note, the actual game is pretty good. Like others I'm sticking to 2D for this one but 3D mode is still pretty impressive. From what I can tell, the internal gameplay engine always runs at 60fps regardless of which mode so the game still feels buttery smooth even in 3D.

Anyway, now I actually have an online enabled game, I need to populate my friends list. My friend code is:

0173-1316-9263

If you add me, just send me a PM.

Ninja Dom said:
Same. I had to spam one of Ryu's moves over and over. But the AI fell for it every single time.

I tried the 100 match Survivor mode last night. I got 89 wins. That probably took over 30 minutes to get that far.

I fricking love the survival mode. Its perfect to play in between and the 100 match course is just fun, especially the last 20 opponents which actually start to put up a fight.

Tag challenge was awfull, but I managed to beat it yesterday (finally) I just needed to be more patient is all.

[Nintex]

Synless said:
Technical wise they did some neat stuff(for a handheld anyway) like real time shadows and some nice texture work but the animations and hair are pretty bad. I guess that's one of those things that the Tegra based 3DS design would've done better.

Played this for about an hour today (Arcade Mode) before I had to go into work and I loved what I played! FUN! FUN! FUN!!!

The last Dead or Alive game I played a lot of was Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast, and I often played the Dead or Alive 4 demo on the 360 – playing this has reminded me just how fun this series is! It’s addictive as hell on a handheld......a perfect fit! I didn’t think I’d mind using the analog stick, but the d-pad makes a big difference here. The 3D is cool, I’ll probably end up turning it off once the novelty wears off but at the moment I keep on switching between 2D and 3D. Graphics are gorgeous and the music is solid too, but what the hell is up with the fighters repeating the exact same phrases every single time before/after a fight? I mean shut the hell up already! 0_o

Oh and my blue light was flashing on my 3DS so I decided to turn off my 3DS for the day. I’ll still get the costume won’t I?!

[Nintex] said:
Technical wise they did some neat stuff(for a handheld anyway) like real time shadows and some nice texture work but the animations and hair are pretty bad. I guess that's one of those things that the Tegra based 3DS design would've done better.

I really think time and budget constraints had more to do with some of the shortcomings. Like some of the textures look extremely rough, while others are well detailed and pretty high res (especially for the screen size) Couple that with some of the physic stuff working flawlessly (some clothing and scarfs) while other things (kasumis hair) looks pretty bad.
If you take Kokoros outfit which has god awfull resolution textures on it, and compare it to ayanes or Kasumis stuff, there's a world of difference.

This is still a launch game so those shortcomings aren't really surprising.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Played this for about an hour today (Arcade Mode) before I had to go into work and I loved what I played! FUN! FUN! FUN!!!

The last Dead or Alive game I played a lot of was Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast, and I often played the Dead or Alive 4 demo on the 360 – playing this has reminded me just how fun this series is! It’s addictive as hell on a handheld......a perfect fit! I didn’t think I’d mind using the analog stick, but the d-pad makes a big difference here. The 3D is cool, I’ll probably end up turning it off once the novelty wears off but at the moment I keep on switching between 2D and 3D. Graphics are gorgeous and the music is solid too, but what the hell is up with the fighters repeating the exact same phrases every single time before/after a fight? I mean shut the hell up already! 0_o

Oh and my blue light was flashing on my 3DS so I decided to turn off my 3DS for the day. I’ll still get the costume won’t I?!

The blue light is just the notification that you got the spot pass content. And yes, unlike streetpass quest, you keep the things downloaded once they are on your system, so don't worry.

I also agree about the fun factor. It's the perfect game for short bursts and is deep enough to be played for longer.

beje

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:

Yes, that means that the content was downloaded to the console. It will be transfered to the game as soon as you boot it again.

DoctorWho said:
Never got the spotpass notice but I did get the costume for yesterday. Strange.
Yeah the spotpass notification has been glitchy for me as well. I got all costumes so far but only 2 notifications.

Seems like a minor issue that should be resolved in future updates.

Top Bottom