• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

B-Dex

Did anyone find this in Canada yet? More specifically BC?
Online it just says sold out or not available everywhere :S

Lyte Edge said:
I think that SSF4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DOA4 in general (in terms of depth and game play), but I could still go with that bold claim if DOA Dimensions has overall better online play than SSF4 3D Edition. DOA also has the obvious "advantage" of not needing to use as many buttons.

in my experience SSFIV3D has the far better netcode, actually.

as for comparing it to PSP fighters...yeah, i have both soul calibur and SFA3 max (not a tekken fan) and those are both about as good as anyone could possibly hope for.

i like the GBA version of super street fighter II turbo!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
B-Dex said:
Did anyone find this in Canada yet? More specifically BC?
Online it just says sold out or not available everywhere :S

I know Game Centre (Toronto, sorry) has it. Not sure about the major retailers.

MrMephistoX

Gotta love Amazon release date delivery. It should be on my doorstep when I get home. I wish Nintendo would switch to Friday releases for first party games so I wouldn't have to venture forth into the pits of Gamestop ever again.

sfried

Got at at TRU. Playing it right now. 3D framerate isn't bad, but 2D is so much more smoother. That said I just leave it on 3D since it has the prettiest presentation on the 3DS so far.

Gameplay is...different from typical fighting games. I like the concept/idea of the triangle system but I could se how health and chunky damage might be an issue. Also there's nothing preventing the PPPPPP spaming but I'm not sure if you can use holds mid-combo.

sfried said:
Got at at TRU. Playing it right now. 3D framerate isn't bad, but 2D is so much more smoother. That said I just leave it on 3D since it has the prettiest presentation on the 3DS so far.

Gameplay is...different from typical fighting games. I like the concept/idea of the triangle system but I could se how health and chunky damage might be an issue. Also there's nothing preventing the PPPPPP spaming but I'm not sure if you can use holds mid-combo.
well, you learn the characters simplest combos for each character and when to counter low, high and normal. if someone keeps spamming the same combo it's very easy to counter them.

if you've been launched and you're getting juggled you can't counter, but i believe you can counter mid combo if you are on the ground.

beje

Banned
I have just got a couple of StreetPass tags on my way back home and it's cool, as it sets up something similar to the SpotPass matches: an AI with the other person's most used character at his/her current multiplayer level (only F so far) and with their most used attack routines.

Skilletor

sfried said:

You can hold mid-combo.

[Nintex]

So uh how do I select a different character in the chronicle mode or is it just limited to the main
Kasumi, Ryu, Ayane, Hayate, Helena
stories? I remember DOA4 had a story for every character but no matter what I pick (new game, continue, pick a chapter) I never get to select a character.

dreamfall

I seem to be having some issues with getting the costumes... I bought it today (U.S.) created extra data, started Chronicle mode and checked my network settings (it's connected online!). Even when putting the system in sleep mode, I haven't received any DOA notifications.

beje

Banned
dreamfall said:
I seem to be having some issues with getting the costumes... I bought it today (U.S.) created extra data, started Chronicle mode and checked my network settings (it's connected online!). Even when putting the system in sleep mode, I haven't received any DOA notifications.

The first notification appeared for me after midnight. Then the next ones are ready as soon as I arrive home in the afternoon and my 3DS connects to my home wifi so maybe you should wait until tomorrow.

Chorazin

dreamfall said:

It can take a bit, just leave it alone for a while. EDIT: Beaten

Synless

Ok, so I've been playing this game a bit now and a few things I have to say. First, I've decided the only way to play this game is 3D for the cutscenes and such and 3D off for gameplay. The 60fps is really nice and I'm not convinced that with the 3D on is 30fps due to all the juttering. I got to play a few matches online (both matches were 60fps) and I wish there was some kind of lobby or something. It just kicks you out as soon as the match is done. Overall the game isn't as visually stunning as I had hoped, but it is by no means a bad looking game, just not the caliber of Ultimate's graphics on Xbox(OG). I do love me some DoA though and I am enjoying the game quite a bit.

Edit* I see some info from a few of the posts above me, but how does spot pass work exactly? Do I need to be playing the game? or just have the system on?

[Nintex] said:
So uh how do I select a different character in the chronicle mode or is it just limited to the main
Kasumi, Ryu, Ayane, Hayate, Helena
stories? I remember DOA4 had a story for every character but no matter what I pick (new game, continue, pick a chapter) I never get to select a character.
Chronicle is sort of like, a tutorial mode, and one that takes you through the canon storyling from the first four games (like MK story mode). i don't know if you remember, but the storylines for each character in DOA4 were pretty minimal. you don't get to pick who you play as, but it has a much more detailed story as a result, and the wins and losses match up with the official storyline.

i think you've got standard ladders available right? think of chronicle as like an introduction to the game proper. it teaches you how to fight, recaps the story from 1 through 4 and opens stuff up as you go through.

beje

Banned
Synless said:
Edit* I see some info from a few of the posts above me, but how does spot pass work exactly? Do I need to be playing the game? or just have the system on?

Just the system on sleep mode, no need to have the game inserted. As soon as you receive a notification, it appears in the notification menu and will be sent to the game as soon as you boot it. In essence, it works exactly the same as StreetPass, just with a blue light and round icon instead of green, and through the internet instead of local.

dreamfall

Alright, I just got the first Kasumi costume! Didn't have the game running, just put this system in sleep. Launched the game and got the notification. Thanks for all the help GAF!

Luigi87

Enjoying so far.

I love 3D and am pro-3D, but the 60FPS improvement in 2D-mode is just too noticeable to not use =(... So 2D it is this time.

Skilletor

Played a bit. They gave Ayane some new tricks :)

It's not a smooth 60fps. I'm noticing dips in the framerate quit a lot.

It looks really nice. Control scheme works great for 4 face buttons. My only gripe are getting diagonals every time.

I don't quite get this. You are streetpassing with devs in this game? Since I'm not actually passing them on the street, wouldn't that be a spotpass?

B-Dex

Did anyone else notice the backgrounds on the menus are interactive? When you move the 3DS the camera moves in the arenas. Pretty cool.

(Yeah I managed to find a copy :D)

Won my first online match just now. Noticed a bit of lag but otherwise worked great.

beje

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I don't quite get this. You are streetpassing with devs in this game? Since I'm not actually passing them on the street, wouldn't that be a spotpass?

If you mean that you have a Duel against a player using Kasumi, level A and over 500 matches, yeah, that's the SpotPass (automatic internet DLC) duel for this week. Streetpass matches work the same way and use the same menu so it can get confusing.

Chorazin

Luigi87 said:
Enjoying so far.

I love 3D and am pro-3D, but the 60FPS improvement in 2D-mode is just too noticeable to not use =(... So 2D it is this time.

That's the beauty of being able to turn 3D on and off!

Giolon

Is there any SpotPass content for US owners? I turned it on but haven't gotten anything.

Also, the framerate during gameplay in 3D seems to be solidly 30FPS, but even in the post-battle victory flourishes it dips dramatically to like 15-20.

I like the 3D effect enough to keep it on most of the time (so far).

sfried

Giolon said:
Is there any SpotPass content for US owners? I turned it on but haven't gotten anything.

Also, the framerate during gameplay in 3D seems to be solidly 30FPS, but even in the post-battle victory flourishes it dips dramatically to like 15-20.

I like the 3D effect enough to keep it on most of the time (so far).
I think whenever they kick the depth of field effect the framerate dips. It's noticable in some cutscenes.

But yeah, kept it with 3D on most of the time.

angelfly

Is anyone else simply disregarding the existence of mode? I've tried to like but I can't at all like a gimped version of a mode I loved in previous iterations. I really would like to know what was going through their heads when they thought to change it.

Skilletor

angelfly said:
Is anyone else simply disregarding the existence of mode? I've tried to like but I can't at all like a gimped version of a mode I loved in previous iterations. I really would like to know what was going through their heads when they thought to change it.

"Mode"?

Nope, just got home. I'm really disappointed by the controls though. I wanted to set it up like I've been playing for the last six years: Y as punch, X as kick and A and B as free. I also wanted to set the shoulder buttons to nothing because I know I'm going to accidentally press them while gripping the system. What the shit? Why the fuck would you mess with the controls like that? They've honestly done nothing but spit on hardcore DOA players with this game.

sfried

grap3fruitman said:
Nope, just got home. I'm really disappointed by the controls though. I wanted to set it up like I've been playing for the last six years: Y as punch, X as kick and A and B as free. I also wanted to set the shoulder buttons to nothing because I know I'm going to accidentally press them while gripping the system. What the shit? Why the fuck would you mess with the controls like that? They've honestly done nothing but spit on hardcore DOA players with this game.
Err...Did you customize the controls? You can change it in the Options menu. My setup is Y for Punch, B for Kick, X for Throw, and A for Hold. You can also set shoulders for nothing.

Giolon

grap3fruitman said:

Um, the default control layout is exactly the same as it was on the Xbox games, and to my memory, the PS2 version (top button = punch, right button = kick, left button = Free, bottom button = throw)

You can also completely customize the controls...assign any button to anything or any combination of buttons... aside from assigning a button to "Nothing".

So the complaint is?

Giolon said:
Um, the default control layout is exactly the same as it was on the Xbox games, and to my memory, the PS2 version (top button = punch, right button = kick, left button = Free, bottom button = throw)
And I've been playing on the Dreamcast DOA2 layout since 2000 and a modified layout since 2006.

Giolon said:
You can also completely customize the controls...assign any button to anything or any combination of buttons... aside from assigning a button to "Nothing".
No, you can't "completely customize the controls."

The game forces you to a punch, kick, free, throw, punch+kick and free+kick.

Giolon said:
So the complaint is?
I can't get my controls the way I want. The way I've been playing for years.

Have my copy in my car just waiting to be played. I'll play it when I get home. For anyone who's played the game online in the US, how is it?

Giolon

grap3fruitman said:
And I've been playing on the Dreamcast DOA2 layout since 2000 and a modified layout since 2006.
No, you can't "completely customize the controls."
The game forces you to a punch, kick, free, throw, punch+kick and free+kick.
I can't get my controls the way I want. The way I've been playing for years.
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never played the Dreamcast version, so I don't know that layout. I started with PS2 onwards. I'm not understanding what it is that you're trying to do with the controls. Assign multiple buttons to the same function? Because, no, it won't let you do that. If that's "spitting on the hardcore fanbase", then I don't know what else to say.

To Far Away Times said:
How long did it take you guys for the spotpass to activate?
Sometime between 60-90 minutes.

Skilletor

Giolon said:

So the complaint is?

Assigning a button to nothing is a pretty big deal for me. I will constantly hit the triggers on accident the way I hold my 3DS to play the game.

Ninja Dom

Question for the seasoned Dead or Alive players, isn't there a Single Player Arcade/Story mode in the Dead or Alive games?

In Street Fighter you can play Single Player, choose a character, small bit of story, then work your way through 8-10 increasingly difficult random opponents culminating in a tough boss fight before the story for that particular character finishes.

Giolon

Ninja Dom said:
Question for the seasoned Dead or Alive players, isn't there a Single Player Arcade/Story mode in the Dead or Alive games?

In Street Fighter you can play Single Player, choose a character, small bit of story, then work your way through 8-10 increasingly difficult random opponents culminating in a tough boss fight before the story for that particular character finishes.
Yes, that's how it used to work. Though in this game, it's been all moved to the Chronicle mode where you play specific characters at specific times through a large story arc, somewhat similar to how the Story mode in the new Mortal Kombat works. It's a retelling of the main storylines of all 4 previous DOA games so it should be great for newcomers. It also does some tutorializing on the fighting system.

Giolon said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never played the Dreamcast version, so I don't know that layout. I started with PS2 onwards. I'm not understanding what it is that you're trying to do with the controls.
This is what I want:
punchkickfreefree.png

On the Dreamcast, the button labeled "A" here would be F+P (throw), I've been playing on this format since '04 though.

Giolon said:
Assign multiple buttons to the same function? Because, no, it won't let you do that.
Yes, that's what I would like to do.

Giolon said:
If that's "spitting on the hardcore fanbase", then I don't know what else to say.
Being able to set your controls to something you're comfortable with is a part of all games.

DOA is a three button game. The older iterations made it so you were required to have at least one punch, kick and throw.

Hayashi's method of making Dead or Alive Dimensions more accessible to players is to forcefully double the number of buttons.

Skilletor said:
Assigning a button to nothing is a pretty big deal for me. I will constantly hit the triggers on accident the way I hold my 3DS to play the game.
Srsly. It's so annoying. Argh!

Ninja Dom

Giolon said:
Yes, that's how it used to work. Though in this game, it's been all moved to the Chronicle mode where you play specific characters at specific times through a large story arc, somewhat similar to how the Story mode in the new Mortal Kombat works. It's a retelling of the main storylines of all 4 previous DOA games so it should be great for newcomers. It also does some tutorializing on the fighting system.
So once Chronicle mode is completed then what Single Player mode do people revert to playing? I've completed Arcade, Chronicle, Tag, and only have the 100 fight challenge left in Survivor.

Giolon

Grap3fruitman said:
This is what I want:
That seems like a reasonable set up to ask for. It's too bad you can't set it up that way. Maybe you can get something similar enough to work for you.

Ninja Dom said:
So once Chronicle mode is completed then what Single Player mode do people revert to playing? I've completed Arcade, Chronicle, Tag, and only have the 100 fight challenge left in Survivor.

Harder difficulties of Arcade, Tag, and Survival I suppose? There's always online Multiplayer, which is more than can be said of pre-DOA4 titles. I don't know what else you're looking for.

DOA4 had an "Excercise Mode", kind of similar to SF4's Challenges, that went through each characters' special moves/combos, and once you completed a character you unlocked their voice as a system announcer. I don't see that here though, but I've only had it for like 4 hours, and I've been at work. How long did the Chronicle Mode end up being?

Top Bottom