• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

beje

Banned
I think that if you're currently playing the game receiving content (even if you left it in sleep mode) the notification light in the hinge won't pop up.

Anyway, I love Nintendo's "it just works" approach to DLC. This is what WiiConnect24 should have been about 5 years ago.

beje said:
I think that if you're currently playing the game receiving content (even if you left it in sleep mode) the notification light in the hinge won't pop up.

Anyway, I love Nintendo's "it just works" approach to DLC. This is what WiiConnect24 should have been about 5 years ago.

yep absolutely. I even suspect that this spotpass DLC is allready on the card, instead of being a download. Wii connect 24 has made me suspicious and pessimistic about Nintendo actually making an online service working^^

I guess if the Spotpass stuff keeps on coming and more importantly working, it could be exactly what I and probably everyone else imagined back when Iwata first talked about Wii connect 24.

Chorazin

[Nintex] said:
Technical wise they did some neat stuff(for a handheld anyway) like real time shadows and some nice texture work but the animations and hair are pretty bad. I guess that's one of those things that the Tegra based 3DS design would've done better.

Or if devs making launch games would have had access to the final hardware which has a lot more RAM than the dev kits did.

List you mains people! It’s still early days, but at the moment my mains are:

fLDEx.png
bxvuv.png

AhyEp.png
144Ct.png

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
[Nintex] said:
Technical wise they did some neat stuff(for a handheld anyway) like real time shadows and some nice texture work but the animations and hair are pretty bad. I guess that's one of those things that the Tegra based 3DS design would've done better.
I truly doubt Tegra would have helped one bit there. Those animations are either skeletal- or morph-based, and as a rule those things are run entirely on the GPU vertex shaders - there PICA200 should be just as good as Tegra.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
fionel said:
Also, the inability to do rematch with your opponent means you have to do go back to the menu and do an auto-match again every time you finish a fight. (I'm not sure but maybe this would be different if you played with a friend.) Combine that with the inability to set parameters for the automatching (like match with people of your rank) and the frequency of initial connection failure when you find a match, it easily builds frustration and you can't help but think that they could have used a few more months to just polish the game.

Yeah, the lack of options and no rematching in particular is really annoying. This game lacks more online options than any other fighter I can think of. I'm still having some fun with this game online though.

Tricky I Shadow said:

(Boobs)

I used to use La Mariposa and Ayane in DOA4, but have tried going back to Tina (who I used in DOA1-3) with very little success. Maybe I've just forgotten a lot, but if I choose to play as say, Helena, Lei-Fang, Kasumi, Ayane, or Hayabusa over Tina, I always have a far better chance of winning.

Might just use another grappler. The game definitely reminds me of DOA4 online, where Hayabusa and Kasumi seem to dominate.

beje

Banned
boris feinbrand said:
yep absolutely. I even suspect that this spotpass DLC is allready on the card, instead of being a download. Wii connect 24 has made me suspicious and pessimistic about Nintendo actually making an online service working^^

I guess if the Spotpass stuff keeps on coming and more importantly working, it could be exactly what I and probably everyone else imagined back when Iwata first talked about Wii connect 24.

I think it may be actual DLC. If you go to Data Management in the 3DS configuration the DoA file gets bigger every time and by a rather large margin, so it's not they're just download codes (with a neglible size).

Lyte Edge

I picked up the Nyko battery extender last night...

...and it's going back to the store today. I could not get the screws out of the 3DS battery cover with the screwdriver they included, and one of the screws ended up getting stripped pretty badly. The rubbery smell that the battery extender had is also really strong and not particularly-pleasant.

beje said:
I think it may be actual DLC. If you go to Data Management in the 3DS configuration the DoA file gets bigger every time and by a rather large margin, so it's not they're just download codes (with a neglible size).

I wonder if they went the DLC route to get around the cartridge size limit?

Skilletor

About 40 matches later, I have to say the online is pretty good. I'll be playing this game until DoA5 comes out.

It's weird when I run into a good player. So many mid-counter spammers, it takes a second for me to adjust. It's like, oh, so we can fight? Okay, that's good news!

I <3 counter spammers.

I find it pretty funny I was in Chapter 3 or so of Chronicle Mode before the game went "Oh shit, we have to include fights, don't we!?" and then forced me to fight like 8-to-10 people in a row as Hayabusa.

Chorazin

Lyte Edge said:
I picked up the Nyko battery extender last night...

...and it's going back to the store today. I could not get the screws out of the 3DS battery cover with the screwdriver they included, and one of the screws ended up getting stripped pretty badly. The rubbery smell that the battery extender had is also really strong and not particularly-pleasant.

I wonder if they went the DLC route to get around the cartridge size limit?

Use a regular screwdriver and the smell goes away very very quickly. Plus they gave you extra screws in the package to replace any that get stripped.

I didn't have any problems getting mine installed, but I'm used to dealing with small screws and such. It's really, really worth any hassle I promise! (I totally sound like a shill but I'm not, I just love my 3DS so much more with the extended battery on!)

DOA:D talk: turned off 3D last night, holy fuck is this game fluid with it off. I doubt I'll ever go back to using 3D while playing!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got this yesterday for free since I had $30 in Reward Zone certificates at Best Buy. I played for like 30 minutes last night and this is definitely the most impressive game I've played on the 3DS yet. I liked SSFIV but this just "feels" better playing on the 3DS. I'm very, very impressed.

Lyte Edge

Chorazin said:
Use a regular screwdriver and the smell goes away very very quickly. Plus they gave you extra screws in the package to replace any that get stripped.

I didn't have any problems getting mine installed, but I'm used to dealing with small screws and such. It's really, really worth any hassle I promise! (I totally sound like a shill but I'm not, I just love my 3DS so much more with the extended battery on!)

DOA:D talk: turned off 3D last night, holy fuck is this game fluid with it off. I doubt I'll ever go back to using 3D while playing!

What type of screwdriver would you recommend? Phillips 00? And yes, you do sound like a shill, but I'll try it once more before taking it back...if for no other reason than replacing the screw. ;)

beje

Banned
I'm learning to use Christie and Tina and they kick ass big time. They have some aerial kick combos that can hit for half life bar in areas with electrified walls.

Also, Tina's hold that stamps your oponent into the wall and then to the floor. Priceless.

Tricky I Shadow said:
i suck, but i main Teletubbie Zack and sailor boy Eliot. i go for a psychological attack basically.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Team Kokoro!!

Love Akira's style from VF so I just had to go with Kokoro. I gonna start trying Hitomi soon cos her combo throw is awesome.

I thought main is like, one character.

I main Kasumi.

I also know how to play fairly well:
Ayane, Lei Fang, Hitomi

about the DLC, since the content is saved to the SD card, does that mean this data can be uploaded and shared? Or is it locked to the system?

radiantdreamer said:
about the DLC, since the content is saved to the SD card, does that mean this data can be uploaded and shared? Or is it locked to the system?
There's a Gamefaqs thread about this and it does seem that the DLC is locked to the console and can't be shared (for now). I hope we'll be able to transfer our DLC / personal data to future 3DS consoles. Would be a real bitch doing all of the Streetpass Mii Plaza stuff again. :(

Chorazin

Lyte Edge said:
What type of screwdriver would you recommend? Phillips 00? And yes, you do sound like a shill, but I'll try it once more before taking it back...if for no other reason than replacing the screw. ;)

I have a set of smaller screwdrivers I got a long time ago that I use for computer repair, they'd do the trick nicely. However, IIRC I used the included screwdriver with no problems.

When you put in the pack make sure you're pressing down on the upper left corner to compress the springs in the batter compartment or you're going to have a bitch of a time wondering why the screw's not going in!

Tricky I Shadow said:

144Ct.png

Always and forever so long as DOA exists and she is in it.

AhyEp.png

I actually sort of picked her up for some variety when I was playing DOA2U a lot, didn't play or like DOA3 much but DOA4 I use her maybe 30% of the time.

My wife sticks with Kasumi and never switches, though.

RpgN

My mains are Kasumi and Ayane. I haven't played much with Lei-fang but I like her style of fighting and could make her one of my mains along with Kokoro and Hitomi. Ryu is not really my main but he seems a bit more overpowered and easy to use than others.

Played more with Chronicles Mode and made it up to chapter 3 somewhere, lots of stages, figures and playable characters unlocked. Messed around with showcase some more, trained and played a bit of free play mode.

Two questions, will the triangle chart work on all attacks? I mean with the available combos you have depending on the situation of course. And what would be more effective? The traingle chart or counter for strikes?

kunonabi

Lei Fang
Helena
Tina

looking to mess around with Brad Wong as well.

Enjoying the game although the netcode has been about as bad as SSFIV 3D has been.

Lyte Edge

Chorazin said:
I have a set of smaller screwdrivers I got a long time ago that I use for computer repair, they'd do the trick nicely. However, IIRC I used the included screwdriver with no problems.

When you put in the pack make sure you're pressing down on the upper left corner to compress the springs in the batter compartment or you're going to have a bitch of a time wondering why the screw's not going in!

I only had a problem with a single screw. Will try another screwdriver today, but I doubt it's going to work. I think it's stuck and now the screw head is stripped.

Ninja Dom

From Tecmo: Full Spotpass and Throwdown challenge schedule. Think it applies for Europe.
DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions (3DS) SpotPass Schedule [1st Batch]
by TECMO on Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 6:24am
"DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions" can download exciting new content via SpotPass such as new Throwdown Challenges from Team NINJA and additional costumes. This schedule is based on EU release. For more info, please visit: http://bit.ly/doadspotpass

<DOWNLOAD SCHEDULE FOR COSTUMES>

20/5 (Fri.) Kasumi
 21/5 (Sat.) Ayane
 22/5 (Sun.) Kokoro
 23/5 (Mon.) Leifang
 24/5 (Tue.) Tina
 25/5 (Wed.) La Mariposa
 26/5 (Thu.) Hitomi
 27/5 (Fri.) Kokoro
 28/5 (Sat.) Ayane
 29/5 (Sun.) Leifang
 30/5 (Mon.) Tina
 31/5 (Tue.) La Mariposa
 1/6 (Wed.) Jann Lee
 2/6 (Thu.) Zack
 3/6 (Fri.) Helena
 4/6 (Sat.) Bayman
 5/6 (Sun.) Bass
 6/6 (Mon.) Leon
 7/6 (Tue.) Hitomi
 8/6 (Wed.) Eliot
 9/6 (Thu.) Brad
 10/6 (Fri.) Christie
 11/6 (Sat.) Helena
 12/6 (Sun.) Gen Fu
 13/6 (Mon.) Ein
 14/6 (Tue.) Leifang
 15/6 (Wed.) Hayabusa
 16/6 (Thu.) Hayate
 17/6 (Fri.) Christie
 18/6 (Sat.) Kasumi
 19/6 (Sun.) Ayane
 20/6 (Mon.) Kokoro
 21/6 (Tue.) Hitomi
 22/6 (Wed.) Kasumi

New costumes are scheduled to be  made available each day, so keep on the lookout for even more outfits to change the appearance of your favourite characters!

*After downloading the costume, you can check to make sure it was saved properly by going to the MODE SELECT screen.

NOTE: An SD Memory Card is required in order to save the downloaded data.

--------------------------------------------------------

<THROWDOWN CHALLENGE

20/5 (Fri.) to 26/5 (Thu.)
Challenger: Kasumi
- About Kasumi -
A master in the art of Mugen Tenshin ninjutsu, she has a variety of lighting-quick strikes, making her an expert at close quarters combat.

27/5 (Fri.) to 2/6 (Thu.)
Challenger: Tina
 - About Tina -
An accomplished striker as well as master grappler, this women's pro wrestling star is as deadly as she is beautiful.

3/6 (Fri.) to 9/6 (Thu.)
Challenger: Mr. Hayashi
This week features a special Challenge from the game's producer himself, Mr. Hayashi! Do you think you have what it  takes to beat him?

3/6 (Fri.) to 9/6 (Thu.)
Challenger: Hayabusa
 - About Hayabusa -
This silent warrior possesses superhuman ability in the art of ninjutsu. He knows a variety of long-reaching strikes. His finisher, the "Izuna Drop", is incredibly powerful!

10/6 (Fri.) to 16/6 (Thu.)
Challenger: Zack
- About Zack -
This wild and funky DJ is also a formidable Muay Thai fighter. His rapid strikes form the basis of his powerful combos.

17/6 (Fri.) to 23/6 (Thu.)
Challenger: Jann Lee
 - About Jann Lee -
With his dynamic striking ability, this hot-blooded Jeet Kune Do master can flatten his opponents with the greatest of ease.

*In Throwdown Challenges, you can test your skills against oopponents hand-picked by Team NINJA in Throwdown mode. (You will see the letters "SP" displayed next to "CHALLENGER".)

Following the match, you will receive a rare figurine regardless of the outcome! And if you can somehow manage to win the match, perhaps you'll learn something even better... There are even more updates planned, so be sure to check back here on a regular basis!

boris feinbrand said:
I even suspect that this spotpass DLC is allready on the card, instead of being a download.
I believe this is true as well. I was browsing my save files for DOAD on the SD card and the biggest item was 140kb, which is far too small for any sort of outfit.

NateDrake

Love this game. The Throwdown challenge was great and free costumes are always welcome. The ease of going online and getting the content is great.

FlashbladeGAF said:
Played mine all day yesterday, checked it this morning, didnt receive the kasumi dlc costume until 2 hours later after I got to work.

its hard but be patient.

Still hadn't received anything after 48hours and then gave the
system update a shot and within the hour I had the day 3 stuff.
Didn't have the blinking blue light, but did have the blue dot.
Day 1&2 will hopefully go smoother when they restart the run on June 28th.

P90

Kasumi
Lei fang
Helena

I've been getting my rear kicked online. :( The fights are close, but some of the combos they are throwing at at the start take 1/3 my health off the bat. I've been using Kasumi exclusively online so far. I might have to give Lei Fang a try. My opponents have nearly or all the characters unlocked. Not so for me. They come in rated "f". What gives?

My old trio:

Ayane - I really enjoy fighting with her
Leon - the grin on my face when one of his bitch slaps connects... also his counters and throws look extremely painfull
Lei Fang - simply love the motions and fighting style.

Was anyone able to beat that S-ranked Kasumi? What did it unlock?

Also: how does it determine your throwdown skill when sending STDs?
Streetpass Transmission Data

kiryogi

Banned
metsallica said:
Was anyone able to beat that S-ranked Kasumi? What did it unlock?

Also: how does it determine your throwdown skill when sending STDs?
Streetpass Transmission Data

An extra figure.

And on DOA canon note... So with the ending of DOAD...
Donovan will be the next big baddie for DOA5 it seems

I main Lei Fang to note... I'm surprised at how many others here do too. Was expecting more Kasumis or something.

So I literally had no idea that
Ridley (from Metroid: Other M)
made an appearance in this game or that he had a special stage. It's not been mentioned elsewhere in the thread AFAIK and I haven't followed coverage of the game anywhere else.

Needless to say it was a nice surprise. BTW, I "main" Tina but I like playing Hitomi sometimes as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dr. Zoidberg said:
So I literally had no idea that
Ridley (from Metroid: Other M)
made an appearance in this game or that he had a special stage. It's not been mentioned elsewhere in the thread AFAIK and I haven't followed coverage of the game anywhere else.

Needless to say it was a nice surprise. BTW, I "main" Tina but I like playing Hitomi sometimes as well.

Blow into the mic when you play that stage.

Zomba13

Sooooo didn't know this was out. Tempted to get it even though money is a bit tight as I've not really played my 3DS much. This was going to the game I got at launch but then it got pushed back.
Can you not get costumes for past days? Like would I never get the costumes for like the 20th-27th if I was to buy this tomorrow?

Skilletor

Hmm...running in to the same few players, but they keep rejecting my request. :(

The d-pad is getting on my nerves. Keep missing diagonals. le sigh.

Made to D rank but just lost a match so now I'm F again.

remz

Skilletor said:
Hmm...running in to the same few players, but they keep rejecting my request. :(

The d-pad is getting on my nerves. Keep missing diagonals. le sigh.

Made to D rank but just lost a match so now I'm F again.
Way harder to rank up then rank down. :S

kunonabi

I've been using the circle pad for DOA and it register the diagonals perfectly unlike SSFIV which I had to use the dpad for.

DR2K

Banned
Kulock said:
Is there a way to retry the Throwdown, or do you only get one shot at it?

It boosts your online rank if you win, pretty neat touch.

I'm kicking myself for missing ayane and kasumi's DLC, hopefully TN gives us a second chance.

DR2K said:
It boosts your online rank if you win, pretty neat touch.

I'm kicking myself for missing ayane and kasumi's DLC, hopefully TN gives us a second chance.

All costumes will be repeated in late June

&#65308;Costume Release Schedule&#65310;
&#9670;Release Schedule
1st Round: May 24th (Tue) to June 26th (Sun), 2011
2nd Round (repeat): June 28th (Tue) )to July 31st (Sun), 2011

I'm still having a ton of fun with this! And getting the DLC costumes is so easy and hassle free.

By the way, I’ve been playing a lot with La Mariposa and she’s awesome! Her kicks are deadly!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
grap3fruitman said:
I believe this is true as well. I was browsing my save files for DOAD on the SD card and the biggest item was 140kb, which is far too small for any sort of outfit.
Assuming an outfit could fit into a single 512x512 texture, that is 512x512x3 / 6 (6:1 DXT1-class compression for non-alpha textures), resulting in 130KB.

Top Bottom