• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Lyte Edge said:
I picked up the Nyko battery extender last night...

...and it's going back to the store today. I could not get the screws out of the 3DS battery cover with the screwdriver they included, and one of the screws ended up getting stripped pretty badly. The rubbery smell that the battery extender had is also really strong and not particularly-pleasant.

My screws came off with absolutely no problems at all. And the smell of the rubber will go away, not that it matters to me. I've been very happy with the Nyko battery and couldn't go back to the standard 3DS battery.

blu said:
Assuming an outfit could fit into a single 512x512 texture, that is 512x512x3 / 6 (6:1 DXT1-class compression for non-alpha textures), resulting in 130KB.
If this is like the previous DOA games, then the "costumes" in DOAD are separate character models with the new outfits on top plus textures.

Okay, I'm officially done with Tag Challenge (18 & 20 are unfinished)

I'm tired of having to deal stupid AI partners, and the damage factor is fucking ridiculous

Skilletor

lazybones18 said:

I'm tired of having to deal stupid AI partners, and the damage factor is fucking ridiculous

Yeah, that's seriously pissing me off. I don't care about the boss characters, though. I have everybody I want to play.

low-G

Anyone know if more than 1 DLC will stack up or do I have to literally play this game every day for weeks to get em all?

Skilletor said:
Yeah, that's seriously pissing me off. I don't care about the boss characters, though. I have everybody I want to play.

I've only done the first Tag Challenge and have everyone unlocked. I've completed Chronicle and the Arcade routes, though. Love that there are alternate ways to unlock stuff.

Skilletor

FrostuTheNinja said:
I've only done the first Tag Challenge and have everyone unlocked. I've completed Chronicle and the Arcade routes, though. Love that there are alternate ways to unlock stuff.

I've completed Chronicles and Arcade modes and I'm still missing the boss characters. Aside from Kasumi alpha, who I unlocked in Tag mode when I fought her.

I hate that there is no definite way to unlock shit. It's like roulette whether or not you'll get something when you finish a mode.

Skilletor said:
I've completed Chronicles and Arcade modes and I'm still missing the boss characters. Aside from Kasumi alpha, who I unlocked in Tag mode when I fought her.

I hate that there is no definite way to unlock shit. It's like roulette whether or not you'll get something when you finish a mode.

Strange, although I did spend a bit of extra time unlocking costumes and such in arcade mode. Maybe that's what pushed me over. The last 3 characters unlocked relatively close to each other.

But yeah, I hear you. It would've been nice for a concrete set of rules for unlocking. I've even heard that you can get characters through time release.

Skilletor said:

Just keep your health regen up for the non active player and you will have a better chance at winning

just beat 19...on to 20

..the fcuk? 2 hit kills? Really?!

Skilletor

FlashbladeGAF said:
Just keep your health regen up for the non active player and you will have a better chance at winning

just beat 19...on to 20

..the fcuk? 2 hit kills? Really?!

I'd have a better chance at winning if I could control both my characters. Then I could do tag juggles and control when my 2nd character tags in. I hate relying on AI because I don't feel it's my fault when I lose.

Ninja Dom

lazybones18 said:

Dude, read back through the thread. Tag Challenges are all pretty easy if you choose Ryu and spam a certain move (Right Trigger).

It isn't honourable but It works.

Skilletor said:
I'd have a better chance at winning if I could control both my characters. Then I could do tag juggles and control when my 2nd character tags in. I hate relying on AI because I don't feel it's my fault when I lose.

I agree. I would have beaten this shit alot sooner if I had control...

...just trying to help with what we have to work with.

Ninja Dom said:
Dude, read back through the thread. Tag Challenges are all pretty easy if you choose Ryu and spam a certain move (Right Trigger).

It isn't honourable but It works.

Damn I've been playing with Kasumi and Ayane this whole time.
You can't spam shit with them.

When I have the time this weekend, I'm gonna try the online portion and see if I can get someone to help me finish the Tag Challenge missions

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
grap3fruitman said:
If this is like the previous DOA games, then the "costumes" in DOAD are separate character models with the new outfits on top plus textures.
Bah, I totally forgot DOA character variations are not just reskins. Yeah, 140KB is rather improbable.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
With my Plasma Television dieing and because I'm chilling at my parent's house this weekend I decided to pick up Dead or Alive: Dimensions. I usually buy my games from Amazon for the cheaper price and Amazon Prime Shipping, but to pick it up on short notice I went to target. I was pleasantly surprised, the game was listed for $39.99 but the price it rang up at the counter was $36.24 after tax.

Hamblasto

FlashbladeGAF said:
Damn I've been playing with Kasumi and Ayane this whole time.
You can't spam shit with them.

In challenge 20, if you can knock them down, you can just spam Kasumi's 4P+K. Just charge it up and release as they are running at you. It's not a sure thing, but it worked for me.

Also, I found Alpha-152 to be a decent partner. She at least stayed alive long enough to let my health regenerate. Though, if you do it right, you won't have to tag at all.

Hamblasto said:
In challenge 20, if you can knock them down, you can just spam Kasumi's 4P+K. Just charge it up and release as they are running at you. It's not a sure thing, but it worked for me.

Also, I found Alpha-152 to be a decent partner. She at least stayed alive long enough to let my health regenerate. Though, if you do it right, you won't have to tag at all.

Thanks for the tip. I was about to throw my 3DS against the wall(of pillows) out of pure frustration.

DR2K

Banned
lazybones18 said:

Pick Raidou, and use Ayane as tag partner, mash lighting and Ayane has a very good AI.

DR2K

Banned
lazybones18 said:
Useless tactic that isn't working and making Ayane more useless than ever

back to Alpha-152 & Ayane

Worked like a charm for me, requires luck and patience though.

DR2K said:
Worked like a charm for me, requires luck and patience though.

Lost all patience and now I'm OFFICIALLY done with Tag Challenge until I find a human partner

Here's my FC for any volunteers: 1203-9216-5732

lazybones18 said:
Lost all patience and now I'm OFFICIALLY done with Tag Challenge until I find a human partner

Here's my FC for any volunteers: 1203-9216-5732

LOL

gonna try for the last time after work to do it on my own before I ask for help. This is the first fighting game I've played that doesnt allow you to customize a match (rounds, time, cpu/hum) ...unless I'm missing something.

I've had the UK version for a week now and have been playing it on and off all week. I loved the first and second DoA games and, while I played the third and fourth, didn't have as much love for them. This one has brought me right back into the series. So much to do here between arcade and survival and then online and chronicle mode.

Chronicle is nice in that it summarises the story nicely. Some nice 3D effects used throughout the cutscenes too.

Kiss my ass Yosuke Hayashi...
There was no need for Raidou and Shiden to be that damn cheap.
1 light hit + combo throw = DEATH

Mission 20 completed!

And even after all that Shiden isn't even playable

-_-

plus you technically have 3 Kasumi's in the game but 2 of them are left with color swaps for costumes. What a waste.

I guess no DOA game will ever come close to matching the extras DOA2 had.

Sorry for the bitchin, I enjoy the hell out of this game but the last couple tag challenges almost left me with a broken 3DS

Skilletor

I finished all of the tag challenges with ryu spam. hella easy except for genra. I actually had to fight him. oh well, all done. not touching tag ever again.

anybody get how points work? I fought a c rank Guy and when I lost I lost like 400 points, but when I beat a person about the same number of games/rank I got about 50 points. seem super backwards since I'm a much lower rank. I actually went down two ranks because of that loss.

FlashbladeGAF said:

Mission 20 completed!

-_-

plus you technically have 3 Kasumi's in the game but 2 of them are left with color swaps for costumes. What a waste.

Sorry for the bitchin, I enjoy the hell out of this game but the last couple tag challenges almost left me with a broken 3DS

From GFAQ's cheat section
Shiden Complete Tag Challenge 20. Select by holding L+X and Press A on Random.

d0c_zaius

FlashbladeGAF said:

Mission 20 completed!

-_-

Select Alpha-152, press toward the enemy and the kick button repeatedly. This works for any mode 90% of the time.

branny

I cleared all the offline stuff yesterday so I think it's just free play or online from now on for me.

Just a few things other people have probably already said: I don't like how tagging is only available as courses and only with AI for single player; I don't like how survival mode is also course-ized and how there aren't any items to bash out of people anymore; and I miss the old gimped story mode with silly cutscenes/end movies for individual character playthroughs. There at least should've been a movie theater option to view Chronicle mode cutscenes.

The stage selection is okay but the medley feels off to me. I can cross off everything on my checklist (snow, fire, forest, water/beach, sand?, night, day, sunset, indoor, outdoor, etc.) but it still feels lacking. Maybe it's because most of them are modified versions of older stages? Could it be a lack of Xbox+ era special effects (surface reflections, deforming sand/snow, persistent tile breaking, wind ruffling through clothing, etc.)?

I don't understand the point of having an entire audio menu with system voices as the only option. After going through free play nonstop (which implements random select really well for endless playing), I was starting to wish for the older ability to turn BGM off and just listen to the ambient stage effects like I used to in DoA2U.

Do region/world online matches automatically set life bars to largest? I only tried a couple matches but I was focusing on discerning connection speed and lag. It's weird that there's no option for it in the menu yet we can choose the number of rounds. And we can't use downloadable costumes online? What a waste! I guess people have already complained enough about the online mode functionality, though.

Control-wise, diagonals are horrible with the 3DS d-pad which is kind of a problem for certain characters and countering. Circle pad is the way to go, I guess, but double taps are still awkward with that thing, just as they are in SSF4 for me.

Gameplay-wise, I don't think I've played enough to form any opinions yet.

Unlike some other people, I actually truly enjoy the English voices as an alternative to JP ones--it's been so long since we had the option to use English. I also like how characters have better facial expressions, and I'm happy that fugly dreadlock hair is gone. I miss high res fabric textures but it's still better than DC/PS2 DoA2 and earlier. Last thing: I swear Jann Lee keeps getting hotter with every game.

lazybones18 said:
From GFAQ's cheat section

Thanks!

d0c_zaius said:
Select Alpha-152, press toward the enemy and the kick button repeatedly. This works for any mode 90% of the time.

Thanks for the tip. Since I already completed all of the tag challenges I'll try it on survival mode if my own skills dont get me very far.

d0c_zaius

FlashbladeGAF said:
Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. Since I already completed all of the tag challenges I'll try it on survival mode if my own skills dont get me very far.

I actually did tag the hard way (almost breaking my 3DS out of frustration with the partner AI), but using Alpha worked for all the survivals too, regardless of difficulty.

it isnt perfect, but its pretty reliable (just throw if they turtle too much).

bon

Wow you guys weren't kidding about the tag mode AI. Lei Fang practically just stands there and waits to get hit.

Strangely I think the AI's effectiveness depends on the character. I've found Kasumi, Ayane and Ryu to be pretty effective...still not as much as I'd like though.

kiryogi

Banned
I was thinking while playing this and in general for the 3DS. We're out of the horrible 3d/low res asset phase in portable gaming finally (DS). There's no going back after this!

That said, been enjoying online. But I suck! Probably since I'm learning Hitomi instead of sticking to Lei Fang... 23/55 currently in win/losses.

bon

My first try on 100 fight Survival Mode, I made it all the way to the last guy and then got knocked out.

щ(゚Д゚щ)

So a friend of mine borrowed the game from me today and it’s his birthday tomorrow, so I think I’m going to tell him to keep it and I’ll get another copy. But before I do:

1. I’ll still get the DLC stuff each day won’t I? Even though the game won't be in my 3DS? That includes both the Costumes + Throwdown challenges. And yes I know the costumes will be available again in June.

2. If I get another copy of the game, will all my records (best times, unlocked characters etc) still all be unlocked? In other words.......swapping the cartridges won’t matter will it? It saves on the 3DS doesn’t it?

I’d appreciate it if only someone who knows 100% for sure what the answers are answered them....I really don’t want to miss out on the DLC and lose all my saved data.

Skilletor

Tricky I Shadow said:
So a friend of mine borrowed the game from me today and it’s his birthday tomorrow, so I think I’m going to tell him to keep it and I’ll get another copy. But before I do:

1. I’ll still get the DLC stuff each day won’t I? Even though the game won't be in my 3DS? That includes both the Costumes + Throwdown challenges. And yes I know the costumes will be available again in June.

2. If I get another copy of the game, will all my records (best times, unlocked characters etc) still all be unlocked? In other words.......swapping the cartridges won’t matter will it? It saves on the 3DS doesn’t it?

I’d appreciate it if only someone who knows 100% for sure what the answers are answered them....I really don’t want to miss out on the DLC and lose all my saved data.

You should just give your friend the new copy and save yourself some angst. :p

Skilletor

DR2K said:
The netcode for this game is amazingly good. This and SSFIV 3DS shit on most console fighters.

It really, really is. I don't think I've had a single match I'd say wasn't playable. Most of them have been incredibly good.

I wish there was a rematch option, though. And some way to search by skill level/rank.

Top Bottom