• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Chorazin

B-Dex said:
In online multiplayer it's all about counters. Just have to learn what height the combos they are doing are and learn to counter for easy wins.
I get that but that's no fun at all to me, which is why I'm kinda hating the online.

I hate that I can't even punish shit with the crappy online. Everything this Hitomi just did left her at a disadvantage but when I hit f+p, Tina's faster throw at 7 frames, did I get a throw? Nope, I got hit with a move that took even longer to come out despite Hitomi already being at a disadvantage from the previous move I just blocked. What the shit? SFDOUIHR(W#$YR#R

Skilletor

Chorazin said:
Ugh, guys I think I hate this game. When the punishment for a strong offense is a 40% or more damage Hold when my long combo maybe does 20% damage, it's just annoying. I just don't enjoying playing defense and that seems to be when this game encourages. :(

I was so hyped for this as well since I loved DOA4 but I don't remember that being as Hold happy as this is, or have I just not played DOA4 in so long that I've forgot?

Maybe the rooms you played in DoA4 were using different life settings, but this feels pretty much exactly the same to me. Normal damage in DoA games is ridiculous and unbalanced, imo.

It's DoA4 portable. I have a different expectation of a portable fighter than I do on consoles, since I won't ever take a portable fighter seriously for competitions's sake. I don't expect much on a portable, I expect a lot on a console.

DoA4 is a horrible fighting game.

B-Dex

Also if you're trying to counter a lot and always missing it just block don't try to counter. Blocking negates dmg. If you whiff a counter it leaves you wide open.

DR2K

Banned
B-Dex said:
In online multiplayer it's all about counters. Just have to learn what height the combos they are doing are and learn to counter for easy wins.

Nah it gets more about the triangle system once you learn your attack heights, throws, and move safety.

Skilletor

DR2K said:
Nah it gets more about the triangle system once you learn your attack heights, throws, and move safety.

Yeah, hi counter damage all day. I <3 when scrubs just counter as soon as they're stunned.

Lonely1 said:
Did you got used to 3DS Dpad?
Actually no.

I'm thinking about picking up that large battery pack to see if the change in grip works better for me. If it doesn't feel any better, I'm going to have to sell it. I haven't even played the 3DS since the day I wrote that post. It was genuine pain.

For reference sake, I found the Xbox "Duke" to have been one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held (size). PS3 and 360 controllers are fine. The PSP nub was uncomfortable over time but the d-pad was mostly fine. I don't really recall the DS d-pad being uncomfortable either. Nothing I've used has been as uncomfortable for me as the 3DS d-pad.

It's really disappointing.

DR2K

Banned
Skilletor said:
Yeah, hi counter damage all day. I <3 when scrubs just counter as soon as they're stunned.

I was just facing someone that did nothing but holds. I'm so happy they didn't nerf Helena in DOAD, especially her BKO throw tech traps.

Dreams-Visions said:
Actually no.

I'm thinking about picking up that large battery pack to see if the change in grip works better for me. If it doesn't feel any better, I'm going to have to sell it. I haven't even played the 3DS since the day I wrote that post. It was genuine pain.

For reference sake, I found the Xbox "Duke" to have been one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held (size). PS3 and 360 controllers are fine. The PSP nub was uncomfortable over time but the d-pad was mostly fine. I don't really recall the DS d-pad being uncomfortable either. Nothing I've used has been as uncomfortable for me as the 3DS d-pad.

I'm holding out hope that the Nerf case will make the 3DS more comfortable.

louie

grap3fruitman said:
You should probably make a note to everyone watching those videos that they're all set to high counter damage (150%).

I thought it was going to be particularly obvious in this video, but you're probably right. I'll do that now.

DR2K

Banned
louie said:
Just increases your rank.

And trophies(there's over a 1000 of them). I got one when I ranked up to E+.

Collecting costumes, trophies(which you can take pictures of with a huge variety of customization for picture taking), and ranking up is addictive. Definitely my Goty so far.

I'm compiling a list of FC for DOAD here. Join in on the madness, all skill levels welcome.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28140823#post28140823

Kevtones

DR2K said:
And trophies(there's over a 1000 of them). I got one when I ranked up to E+.

Collecting costumes, trophies(which you can take pictures of with a huge variety of customization for picture taking), and ranking up is addictive. Definitely my Goty so far.

Ahh, that's good. I lose points if I lose though, don't I?

Too bad I suck :(

DR2K

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Ahh, that's good. I lose points if I lose though, don't I?

Too bad I suck :(

The rank system is more rewarding than punishing for lower ranks, total opposite once you get higher up.

Kevtones

DR2K said:
The rank system is more rewarding than punishing for lower ranks, total opposite once you get higher up.

I'm a total beginner/non-fighting game gamer so it'll be a challenge either way. That said, my two victories (out of 5) have been super gratifying.

This and Samurai Warriors are the best 3DS games thus far. Good on tecmo/koei!

DR2K said:
That looks nice but can we stick our region zone somewhere?

It'll be nice to use it as an international DOAD GAF matchmaking hub.

DR2K

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
That looks nice but can we stick our region zone somewhere?

It'll be nice to use it as an international DOAD GAF matchmaking hub.

I can do that as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm still confused on how costumes work. Do I have to do something special on specific days to get them?

kiryogi

Banned
thetrin said:
I'm still confused on how costumes work. Do I have to do something special on specific days to get them?
Nope. They should automatically download if you have spotpass activated and on at some point during the day.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm a total beginner/non-fighting game gamer so it'll be a challenge either way. That said, my two victories (out of 5) have been super gratifying.

This and Samurai Warriors are the best 3DS games thus far. Good on tecmo/koei!

Yeah it's a bit amusing so far the best 3DS titles are Tecmo Koei. No complaints here though!

kiryogi

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
And they're the only one doing DLC (and tons of it) so far.
And considering the state of it. It really seems like the DLC were outfits they couldn't fit or get done in time, so they released it afterwards...VS many other companies nowadays where they charge for anything additional post release.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
Actually no.

I see. There are lots of grippers for the 3Ds already in the market. Maybe you should check one?

Getting a 3DS today along with Dead or Alive Dimensions, can't wait, I'm upgrading from a launch phat DS. I'll add myself to the DoaD FC list later.

Wizpig

Bought the game today, did they really put Kasumi's age to "Unknown" because of all that pedo argument?

About the frames per second stuff: does it change in real time with the slider or do you have to activate some option like in Street Fighter? Thanks

Luigiv

Wizpig said:
Bought the game today, did they really put Kasumi's age to "Unknown" because of all that pedo argument?

About the frames per second stuff: does it change in real time with the slider or do you have to activate some option like in Street Fighter? Thanks
With the slider. The reason SSFIV has an option is because disabling 3D in 3D mode adds 2xSSAA instead.

Wizpig

Luigiv said:
With the slider. The reason SSFIV has an option is because disabling 3D in 3D mode adds 2xSSAA instead.
Thanks
Skilletor said:
It's DoA4 portable. I have a different expectation of a portable fighter than I do on consoles, since I won't ever take a portable fighter seriously for competitions's sake. I don't expect much on a portable, I expect a lot on a console.

DoA4 is a horrible fighting game.
Agreed, but wait a second, isn't this game more like DOA 2 and 3?

A lot of friends hate DoA 4 and say this is the better game.

Wizpig said:
ThanksAgreed, but wait a second, isn't this game more like DOA 2 and 3?

A lot of friends hate DoA 4 and say this is the better game.
Nope, this is portable DOA4 and just as bad as DOA4, possibly even worse.

Giolon

If anybody's interested in playing some DOA4, add my Gamertag CyberElf05 on XBL. This has gotten me back into it (I'm still absolutely terrible at it though).

If anybody wants to try some multiplayer on DOAD, my FC is 4811-6945-3794. Go easy, I'm F+ ranked lol.

Defunkled

Ha, the last few Tag Challenges are hilarious. Counters that take away your whole life bar? C'mon. I understand it's supposed to be difficult, but simply raising the damage instead of actually making the AI better is a cop out. How does this stuff pass for game design these days?

Wizpig

Ok guys, lag.

Online. how to solve it? are there ports to forward on the router or something? i don't have SSF 3DS but i hear that was smooth as butter online.

But this... is worse than Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on the Wii.

DR2K

Banned
Wizpig said:
Ok guys, lag.

Online. how to solve it? are there ports to forward on the router or something? i don't have SSF 3DS but i hear that was smooth as butter online.

But this... is worse than Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on the Wii.

Wow it's definitely you, because I get nothing but smooth games. Could be your router.

Kevtones

Fucking gratifying online victory against Faust.

Final round, both of us down to our last hit, and he charges from across the screen to get countered in the groin for the loss.

Also, very little lag once or twice. Otherwise, perfect.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I guess I can add my name to the FC thread, but really...what's the point? With no way to contact someone in-game or from the 3DS, friend matches never happen.

grap3fruitman said:
Nope, this is portable DOA4 and just as bad as DOA4, possibly even worse.

It's portable DOA4 with three counters instead of four.

DR2K said:
Wow it's definitely you, because I get nothing but smooth games. Could be your router.

It's not him. DOAD's online isn't as good as some of the other games. SSF4 is a lot smoother in comparison.

Wizpig

Basically my friend was uploading some pics while playing, and that was why the game was running at 2 FPS, it was really terrible, but it was not the game's fault at all.

I tried with another friend and sure, it's playable, but it's not still quite like the offline; i guess this is how the game really runs.

Luckily Tatsunoko is far worse than this.
And of course not even MvC 3 on the 360 has a perfect netcode.

Guess SSF IV on the 360 had me spoiled, you get lag-free matches almost all the time.

The odd thing about DoA:D is that the lag seems to be in the cutscenes before/after the match the most... there's not much input lag in the game, but there's this "lag feeling" going on anyway.
I'll try some more matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aquavelvaman said:
http://i.imgur.com/b9dGx.jpg

Wow, they're all from 4. Though I think the Lisa one is new.

Lyte Edge said:
It's not him. DOAD's online isn't as good as some of the other games. SSF4 is a lot smoother in comparison.

Seriously? DOA2U's X-box Live netcode was PERFECT for the time and probably the best netcode in a fighter until Blazblue came out. Sucks if it went backwards. :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I remember once upon a time that people laughed that this was 30fps etc but damn this is the nicest looking 3DS game by quite a distance.

30fps in game in 3d looks good, but the 60fps 2d looks VERY nice.

Hats off to Tecmo.

Lyte Edge said:
It's portable DOA4 with three counters instead of four.
On top of that you can't even punish like you could in DOA4. In DOA4 and DOAD, most moves leave you at a disadvantage. So if you were smart in DOA4, you would block the whole match and throw your opponent once they hit you with an attack since they would be at a disadvantage. Itagaki saw some players at an event turtling until the last seconds of the match because neither person wanted to be punished and afterwards Itagaki said "This is not how I intended for people to play." If that was the case, then why make every move leave you at a negative? Why? The current Team Ninja saw this and obviously felt the same way. Their method to fix this? Make standard throws seven frames instead of five. Now you can't punish your opponent for just throwing out stupid shit! Now what are you going to do, biatch?! I really, really hate this game. I'm not sure why Team Ninja is intent on spitting in my face with this kind of shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You have videos of those matches? I haven't honestly seen a competitive DOA match in any of the games, so I'm curious how "pro" players would play it.

Ninja Dom

TheSeks said:
You have videos of those matches? I haven't honestly seen a competitive DOA match in any of the games, so I'm curious how "pro" players would play it.
Here is a link to a competitive match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNEsJ_AyNbI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Subscribe to DOAUMASTER's YouTube channel. He's heavily into the game, helps run and organise Dead or Alive tournaments, runs a Dead or Alive fansite and was even invited by Team Ninja to go to Japan to play DOA Dimensions on 3DS a few months before launch.

Top Bottom