• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

louie

Yeah, he seems to be pretty much a clone of hayate. When I played against him he used hayate's doa3 2k though, which was cool I guess.

GrayFoxPL said:
This would result in opponents dying only if he was really trying hard to get himself killed.

You'll never see it happen that's for sure. I just thought it was cool was all.

Nemesis_

f@luS said:
I finally get all charachers. Genra is broken
What is kasumi alphz? Just reskin?

She's pretty much DOA ULTIMATE Kasumi. She plays a little bit differently than normal Kasumi with some tweaks.

BDGAME

Today I played Street IV 3D from a friend. I was really impressed with these graphics. Its look really good, almost as good as the HD version. If DoAD is at least as good as SFIV, I will be more than pleased with the graphics.

i have a dumb question: does the whole 3D=30fps/2D=60fps thing mean there will be no battery life advantage to playing in 2D?

i think i'm going to pick this up today with bic camera points, i've never owned a DOA.

Nemesis_

This really is similar to MK Trilogy or MK Armageddon, in that it brings EVERYTHING together from the previous games into one package.

Though DOA Dimensions is still missing some stuff like levels, but otherwise it's definitely got the complete roster.

345triangle said:
i have a dumb question: does the whole 3D=30fps/2D=60fps thing mean there will be no battery life advantage to playing in 2D?

i think i'm going to pick this up today with bic camera points, i've never owned a DOA.

The battery life will be longer when played in 2D simply because the top screen doesn't have to be as bright, and the parallax barrier is switched off. The 60fps actually should not make an impact on the battery life. I vastly prefer 2D over 3D in this game. It simply looks better and feels better. The 3D is nice in the Showcase mode but for the fighting 60 fps wins everytime.

I think this is a great DOA to start out if you're new to the series. Hell it brought me back in after DOA4 scared me away for good.
The main difference I noted was that it looks a lot classier than DOA4. Just in terms of pantyshots, the skirts aren't made of anti-grav material anymore and actually behave like they have some weight (allthough it looks more like a lack of processing power)

Nemesis556 said:
This really is similar to MK Trilogy or MK Armageddon, in that it brings EVERYTHING together from the previous games into one package.

Though DOA Dimensions is still missing some stuff like levels, but otherwise it's definitely got the complete roster.

Yeah, I get that exact same vibe from it. I love it. Only real downside is the strange tag mode.

justchris

EatChildren said:
You fight an opponent. You're notified by an icon appearing on the main menu. Im pretty sure it's an AI programmed specifically for that fight by Team Ninja, so it's a high level of difficulty. If you lose, you cant replay the match. Regardless of win or lose, you get a 'rare trophy' for your collection. The notification message seems to indicate that you'll also get something for winning, but I dont know what as I got my arse kicked.

Speaking of, shouldn't there be a new update today?

Thanks, but can't you do throwdown mode against other people with the game? Although, I guess there probably aren't enough people with 3ds' and this game yet to do any real streetpasses.

boris feinbrand said:
The battery life will be longer when played in 2D simply because the top screen doesn't have to be as bright, and the parallax barrier is switched off. The 60fps actually should not make an impact on the battery life. I vastly prefer 2D over 3D in this game. It simply looks better and feels better. The 3D is nice in the Showcase mode but for the fighting 60 fps wins everytime.

right, so the reason that 3D generally sucks more battery life is due to brightness and the barrier itself, rather than processing power? got it.

i like that you can switch on the fly, anyway, unlike street fighter's unwieldy solution.

345triangle said:
right, so the reason that 3D generally sucks more battery life is due to brightness and the barrier itself, rather than processing power? got it.

i like that you can switch on the fly, anyway, unlike street fighter's unwieldy solution.

I think the 3D rendering has also quite a strain on the battery life, but in the end, nothing eats more power than a screen and its backlight. And since the brightness has to basically double in 3D, you can imagine the power consumption of the 3D screen to outclass the GPU consumption by far.

The switch in this game is seemless. It's really amazing and makes you realize just how much faster and playable the game becomes with 60 fps.

One odd thing about the game is, that some areas look very very bad. Like some of the skyboxes in the cutscenes and other things look strangely out of place and devoid of colour depth.

Nemesis_

boris feinbrand said:
Yeah, I get that exact same vibe from it. I love it. Only real downside is the strange tag mode.

Yeah, Tag Mode is obviously designed for human play online. I did all the challenges with EatChildren last night and it was actually pretty fun, you really have this feeling of "trust' developing as you play, taggin your friend out to recover him while also hoping he'll tag you out to recover.

I appreciate it much more after playing it online with a human.

picked up the game just now. sold out almost everywhere in osaka!

boris feinbrand said:
The switch in this game is seemless. It's really amazing and makes you realize just how much faster and playable the game becomes with 60 fps.

wow, you aren't kidding :/ it makes the 3D mode look almost unplayably rough, even though it'd probably seem okay if you couldn't switch on the fly...guess i'll be playing this one in 2D, anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, Tag Mode is obviously designed for human play online. I did all the challenges with EatChildren last night and it was actually pretty fun, you really have this feeling of "trust' developing as you play, taggin your friend out to recover him while also hoping he'll tag you out to recover.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that, trying to balance health and regenation. Playing it with an AI is utter garbage in comparison.

f@luS

More than a member.
now that ive unlock everything and completed all challenge (chronicle, arcade , tag, survival) and online is kinda broken and without lobby....

i dont know if ill keep it

its good though but i dont want to play it anymore

Nemesis556 said:

Yeah I guess that's true. Tag mode with a human partner was allways better than playing it alone. Still, they should've left the option to play it alone without CPU.

Ah well. It's a minor thing, and I really enjoy the game, especially the Arcade courses, allthough easy, are exactly what I want: Short fights in my spare time.

louie

How in the hell do you unlock the boss characters? I've completed chronicle, tag challenge, survival and arcade.

f@luS

More than a member.
louie said:
How in the hell do you unlock the boss characters? I've completed chronicle, tag challenge, survival and arcade.
I unlocked in tag challenge. The last one Which u fight them. Did u do it before chronicle? Try again !

wow, this game is nowhere near as smooth online as SSFIV.

still fun though! i'm not so deep into the fighting system but it's very easy to get into.

This is $29.99 at Toys R Us this week.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11532606

TnUZ4.png

Credit to the CheapAssGamer forums.

louie

Skilletor said:
Shiden is playable?

Is he a unique character?

From the little time I've played around with him he is pretty much identical to Hayate.

He has Hayate's doa3 1k, his doa4 rajin, a new animation for 66kkk - which can be changed to 66k2kk (which is Hayate's normal 2kk mixed into the string) and a new string which is pp6k ( again the 6k already belongs to Hayate). He however cannot do his 9k. I think that's everything.

f@luS said:
I unlocked in tag challenge. The last one Which u fight them. Did u do it before chronicle? Try again !

I had to replay the last 4 or 5 tag challenge matches. The bosses are great fun, Alpha 152 especially. Her sidestep move is amazing.

GrayFoxPL

louie said:
Doesn't look like it. Some of the his move properties might have changed though, I know his 6p+k does a new type of stun.

Ah thanks. Shame, my favorite char together with Hitomi.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aand todays costume goes to Kokoro.

RpgN

Got her costume as well :) I don't have enough time lately but whenever my BF needs to do something, I'd quickly grab the game and play training mode. Then I decided to play throwdown and do that Spotpass challenge against Kasumi. I won and got 2 figures, all that training sure payed off :D It became apparent how besides the moves list, move description is also important.

Hmm, really wanted to buy this game when I get my 3DS, but I've been reading around and people are saying the lag online is horrendous, even if you have a good connection. Is this true?

GasProblem said:
Hmm, really wanted to buy this game when I get my 3DS, but I've been reading around and people are saying the lag online is horrendous, even if you have a good connection. Is this true?

Depends. I had fluid international matches, but one or two horrible laggy matches. Depends on both players connections.

well all i can say is that i've never had a jerky SSIV match, whereas 90% of my DOA matches so far have been less than smooth (in japan, on a 100 meg connection) - like, even the character selection screen is laggy.

Ninja Dom

Here is this weeks schedule of character costume downloads. Taken directly from the Notifications section on the 3DS.

20 May Kasumi
21 May Ayane
22 May Kokoro
23 May Leifang
24 May Tina
25 May La Mariposa
26 May Hitomi

Throwdown Challenge 20 May to 26 May: Kasumi.

dreamfall

I'm very excited to play this when I pick it up Tuesday. Tina has been my character for ages, and I'm ready to shelf Okami and play a 3Ds game on this system!

Ninja Dom

Pimpbaa said:
You can switch any game on the fly, even street fighter.
Street Fighter IV 3D Edition has a special menu option to turn on or off the 3D. Turning it off in this menu makes the single player game run at 60fps.

Having 3D on but turning the 3D slider down on the 3DS does not increase the framerate. But it does on Dead or Alive Dimensions.

Hamblasto

Chorazin said:
Nice, thanks for the heads up! I cancelled my Amazon order and I'll just swing by TRU on Tuesday. :)

I don't know how fast Amazon can change prices, but you can tell them about the lower price.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
GasProblem said:

No offense to our European friends, but I'll be waiting until it's out on Tuesday Stateside to make that call.

Top Bottom