• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

RustyO

Otacon said:
in infinity you had to survive 5 full days without being able to save
also, the psychos were running free in the game world and food/energy was limited

7 days if your hardcore :lol

FrankT

So who has the best deal for this online US? Thinking Amazon with the $10 credit. Need to put down an order soon.

bomb_jack

The deadlines on the cases make this a chore to play. I had the exact same feelings about DR1 but foolishly assumed that they'd find a better way to implement them in the sequel.

Am I seriously the only person disappointed here?

FrankT

bomb_jack said:
The deadlines on the cases make this a chore to play. I had the exact same feelings about DR1 but foolishly assumed that they'd find a better way to implement them in the sequel.

The deadlines are an essential part of the gameplay. Did you not see Case Zero to get an idea? Same thing.

bomb_jack said:

Maybe, as everyone else knows what to expect and are a-okay with it

bomb_jack said:

You are probably the only one who ignored all information about the game and hoped against hope that it wouldn't be exactly what it's always been planned to be.

bomb_jack said:

Better way to implement what? All i hear is "i have bad time management" Its part of the tension and strategy in the game.

MMaRsu

bomb_jack said:

The deadlines on the cases is exactly how it's meant to be played. You're not supposed to do every case right away, really, you can't! I've missed a shitload of optional cases and I'll do them once I've restarted the game.

FrankT

MattyH said:
i gotta jump in and say the drill bucket is fucking awesome

I only really had limited use for it with so many zombies around in Case Zero. Btw what all carries over from Case Zero? Level up to 5 and combo cards?

Otacon said:
in the first game overtime actually added another day resulting in the "real" ending

in infinity you had to survive 5 full days without being able to save
also, the psychos were running free in the game world and food/energy was limited

i hope i remember anything correctly 0:)
the thing you're forgetting is that your health constantly drained, so you couldn't just hole up somewhere safe indefinately, you had to venture out for food.

i'd gladly swap infinity mode for co-op. oh hey look at that!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Just got my copy, will give it ago later.

Also came with a free T-shirt.

MMaRsu said:
The deadlines on the cases is exactly how it's meant to be played. You're not supposed to do every case right away, really, you can't! I've missed a shitload of optional cases and I'll do them once I've restarted the game.

Its not how its meant to be played the first time through. But you can save all the people and go through overtime mode starting at level 1. Saving people is by far the best way to get pp. especially in the first game.

FrankT

Tricky I Shadow said:
I can’t stress enough just how much better the survivor AI is compared to the original! It almost makes the game too easy! :lol

Yea I certainly noticed the change in Case Zero which did seem a bit on the easy side.

Was ready to be bummed out, but Lovefilm has dispatched my copy. :)
Just hope they won't Zavvi it.

My favorite weapon so far is the lawn dart. It's not effective, like at all, but the anticipation when waiting for the dart to drop and then getting rewarded with that awesome animation...it's like christmas.

Otacon

plagiarize said:
the thing you're forgetting is that your health constantly drained, so you couldn't just hole up somewhere safe indefinately, you had to venture out for food.

i'd gladly swap infinity mode for co-op. oh hey look at that!

ah, yes, of course
totally forgot
DX

loved the first one and if someone had asked me 1-2 years ago to which game i want a sequel if would have screamed "Dead Rising...and with co-op!"

had the 2nd one pre-ordered as soon as it was possible
but everything i have seen the last months did nothing for me
especially that the photographing has been removed
=(
canceled my pre-order a month ago and have lost all interest in now
maybe some more positive impressions will get me back on the hype train

though living in Germany knowing i will never be able to play Case Zero, Case West or any other DLC does not really help to make me buy it =/

SSnake

Question about co-op.

Does your partner level up as you play and can they interact with everything, clothing, survivors, etc...? And when you quit does your partner keep the levels they earned?

SSnake said:
Question about co-op.

Does your partner level up as you play and can they interact with everything, clothing, survivors, etc...? And when you quit does your partner keep the levels they earned?

This is a good question. Hopefully it ain't Fable 2's bullshit co-op.

So the whole game is timed like DR1 and Case Zero? Or does the game have some flexbility in spots that let you really take your time to enjoy the sandbox?

BattleMonkey said:
Or does the game have some flexbility in spots that let you really take your time to enjoy the sandbox?
If you let Katy die and accept that you'll probably restart at least once before going for the best ending, most of the timed events more just point you in the direction of the psychopaths and last quite a while with no further penalties for missing them.

Deacan

Only the host gets the story progress saved, however everything else you get to keep, such a cash, pp ect.

Such as rescuing survivors, you both get a nice pp bonus, it really is a nice system and so funny, booting a football at your team mate while he is trying to kill zombies never gets old.

SSnake said:
Question about co-op.

From the Wiki page:

"Asides from the more traditional four player mode, the game features a two player Co-Op mode. Two players will be able to take control of two different Chuck Greenes and complete the story mode together. You can drop in and drop out at any time you please! Getting level ups will be integrated, and will be saved for both players. If they find a combo card that player will keep it, regardless of host status....money will also be saved for both players. During story progression only the host will keep story progress. If a player is downed they can call for help and be revived."

MjFrancis

MMaRsu said:
I can certainly say that this game runs better and looks better than Case Zero did. So there.
Good news. I was really disappointed with Case Zero's visuals, there was so much texture and model pop-in it was ridiculous. Not game-breaking, though, I was happy with the mechanics.

Tricky I Shadow said:
And I think I like the combo weapons more than the camera from the original.
I would hope so! Taking pictures of zombies for PP vs. killing zombies with kayak paddle chainsaws for PP - I know which one I'd rather be doing!

DeadGzuz

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
This is a fact! I noticed a difference by just watching videos of them, but I just finished playing Case Zero again and the difference is huge after playing Dead Rising 2. Guess they did wanna keep the file size down for Case Zero.

That doesn't make sense. How would the file size make the engine run less optimized? Occam's razor says they are they same engine, so they should perform the same. The differences are probably wishful thinking.

DeadGzuz said:
That doesn't make sense. How would the file size make the engine run less optimized? Occam's razor says they are they same engine, so they should perform the same. The differences are probably wishful thinking.

I think he is refering to the textures. If the file size was an issue for xbox live, they would need to make change the textures to reach that limit more then likely.

NIN90

Sadist said:
Fuuuuck my store received the 360/PS3 version, but the PC version is still MIA. :(

Wouldn't be able to play the PC version anyways. I think it has some day 1 unlock thing through GFWL similar to steamworks games.

Deacan

Some funny item spoilers, nothing huge
I was wondering around the sunbed shop in my Mankini, then my coop partner threw a bloody virbrator at me :lol

Ogrekiller said:
dlc pack release dates are out, each at 160 ms pts.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/22/dead_rising_2_dlc/
2132426973_view.jpg

Is that Steven from DR1? :lol

Am having a great time playing DR2 but can someone please tell me what I have to do to get rid of the "Ante up" mission? I really REALLY don't want to play the poker cause I find it super boring (I managed to get up to like hand 12 and just couldn't keep going) and cause its a huge waste of in-game time. Also is it even worth my while doing it? Will I miss out on something good by not doing this mission, I haven't skipped any other missions so far and its like day 3!

RS4-

Enemy Of Fate said:
Am having a great time playing DR2 but can someone please tell me what I have to do to get rid of the "Ante up" mission? I really REALLY don't want to play the poker cause I find it super boring (I managed to get up to like hand 12 and just couldn't keep going) and cause its a huge waste of in-game time. Also is it even worth my while doing it? Will I miss out on something good by not doing this mission, I haven't skipped any other missions so far and its like day 3!

I think you just have to eliminate one person (I did two) then quit since time was getting tight. I don't think you get anything special other than 5k PP (or something) per person. It does take a while though since it's strip poker and each person has to go broke 4 times I believe.

Denzar

Got it, love it.

Some of the animation is really good, and then again it can be really shitty. Like when (spoiler about psychopath)

when Leon, the TIR contestant dies. The fire is REALLY cruddy.

Framerate could be better too.

Top Bottom