• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

I mentioned a co-op bug last night and I think it might have something to do with the game having an issue reading off the 120gig hd. I've not tested it yet as I've yet to host a game however when selecting my device and picking my HD it leads to the screen freezing for about a minute before loading up, if I load off the memory card in my arcade Xbox it load automatically.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Quick "I've been on a media blackout regarding this game" question.

Is there a free-roaming mode or something similar? For those times where I just want to kill zombies with no particular desire to advance the timeline.

duckroll said:
I would also like to know this, for the opposite reasons. The save system, the time limits, and the sparse checkpoints were what made the original game unique and really exciting to play. I would like to know if the spirit of Dead Rising has been retained in the sequel, or if they made the experience more generic and mainstream to pander to those complaining about these "issues". Thanks.
Well based on case zero those are all pretty much fixed, sans time limits. You can now save at bathrooms like the original or immediately after you complete a case file (you didn't have that option in 1). There are also 3 save slots now, instead of just 1.

Time limits are still there, they have to be as they are part of the main design of the game. Checkpoints, see the save system, but no traditional mid-mission checkpoints ala other games, just your save files.

From everything I have read about DR2, the challenge of the game is still there. Co-op will make the game easier but otherwise it's pretty much Dead Rising 1, with a few tweaks to the save system and no camera.

duckroll said:
I would also like to know this, for the opposite reasons. The save system, the time limits, and the sparse checkpoints were what made the original game unique and really exciting to play. I would like to know if the spirit of Dead Rising has been retained in the sequel, or if they made the experience more generic and mainstream to pander to those complaining about these "issues". Thanks.
The spirit of Dead Rising has very much been retained in 2 and they haven't neutered any of the mechanics you mentioned. Sure, the save system has three slots now, but nothing's stopping you to play the game with 1 slot only from beginning to end.

Having finished it, I was surprised just how faithful it was, because admittedly I was skeptical of the game when Capcom announced they would outsource it and even moreso after they released early footage.

WanderingWind said:
Quick "I've been on a media blackout regarding this game" question.

Is there a free-roaming mode or something similar? For those times where I just want to kill zombies with no particular desire to advance the timeline.
I think someone else posted in here that there's no Infinite Mode this time around.

duckroll

Darkshier said:
Well based on case zero those are all pretty much fixed, sans time limits. You can now save at bathrooms like the original or immediately after you complete a case file (you didn't have that option in 1). There are also 3 save slots now, instead of just 1.

Time limits are still there, they have to be as they are part of the main design of the game. Checkpoints, see the save system, but no traditional mid-mission checkpoints ala other games, just your save files.

From everything I have read about DR2, the challenge of the game is still there. Co-op will make the game easier but otherwise it's pretty much Dead Rising 1, with a few tweaks to the save system and no camera.

Thanks, that actually sounds interesting. Especially how it saves after a case file is completed. Sort of like a "chapter save" in that sense. It would also make it easier for the player to stop after a major goal is achieved, without having to look for some other way to save before quiting the game.

Not sure about multiple save slots, since I liked how the original game basically forces you to overwrite progress so you can't really cheat. But oh well, I understand that some people are really bitchy about that. I'll personally prefer if there were multiple save slots for multiple players in the same household, but each save is locked to a single slot once you start a new game.

MicVlaD said:
The spirit of Dead Rising has very much been retained in 2 and they haven't neutered any of the mechanics you mentioned. Sure, the save system has three slots now, but nothing's stopping you to play the game with 1 slot only from beginning to end.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. If I do get the game on the PC, I think I'll do just that, single save slot.

WanderingWind said:
Ah. Well, that sucks. Still, saved me 60 bucks. Appreciate it, man.
You don't have to finish the storyline missions by the way, if that's the impression you got of the campaign. The only exception I can think of is maybe fetching some Zombrex for Chuck's daughter since I'm not sure if that's automatically 'Game Over' if you don't, but that's only after every 24 (in-game) hours.

duckroll said:

Going by Case Zero
Its still pretty much the same as DR1 except 3 save slots instead of 1. You can still fuck up if you mis manage your time with the cases and survivors.

btw anyone who has DR2 - RMB back in the game?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... Is Dead Rising 2 a direct sequel or a stand-alone sequel?

Also, how is it better than the first (or worse than the first whatever the case may be)?

Loudninja said:

Wow, if even IGN have serious issues with the performance then it must be pretty damn terrible. Not susprising after Case Zero, but at least this should shut those up that were trying to play it off as a none-issue. Hopefully the PC version will save the game from forever being tarnished.

Mar said:
I will never understand this mindset for as long as I live. Who cares about the framerate as long as the game is good and it doesn't affect the players ability to play the game?

Significant periods of gameplay at 20fps or under absolutely will affect the players ability to play and enjoy the game, just as it did in Case Zero. A lower framerate means slower controller response and less visual feedback. It may not be a big deal for you but it really shouldn't be hard to appreciate how it can be for others. We all have different tolerance thresholds.

duckroll said:
I hope so too, but I'm not holding my breath. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

I'm cautiously optimistic at least. The title seems to have feature parity and perfect 360 controller support at least so if worst comes to worst sheer brute force should get it into a reasonable enough state I'd hope. Honestly, at this point I'd take a 30fps cap and zero graphics options in the PC version, so long as I get a stable framerate that doesn't plummet down to 20fps territory at the drop of a hat, I'll be happy enough. We should expect/demand more of course but in reality I just want a version of the game where the gameplay isn't significantly affected by nasty technical issues.

dark10x said:
What are you talking about?

Fallout 3 presented a massive outdoor world seamlessly to the player. If you entered specific areas, you would see a load screen, but they were no more than 2-3 seconds and used only a quick black screen. It was short enough that it could barely be considered a load screen.

Dead Rising 2 seems to routinely put up 30-40+ second loading screens when transitioning. That's just awful in comparison.

The loading system kind of reminds me of Bionic Commando or HL2 on initial release. That game gave the impression of a large open world but in reality is was split into tiny segments with large loading times inbetween each one. Thankfully in that case the PC release reduced the loading times significantly which made it a minor issue in the end, I'm just hoping the same happens here.

I really wish implementing a competent texture streaming solution was a bigger priority for more developers. UE3 may have its faults but its streaming system works fantastically well and it completely gets rid of nasty scenarios like this.

the chris

Revolutionary said:
NYC GAF, the usual spot is getting it in later today. :)

I'm considering picking up a new Intensity Pro to start broadcasting again, too... I'm sure Dead Rising would be fun to broadcast. Hmm..

I live in NYC, can someone PM me the usual place so I can try and pick it up after work?

edit: Thanks for the answer Revolutionary

duckroll

brain_stew said:
I'm cautiously optimistic at least. The title seems to have feature parity and perfect 360 controller support at least so if worst comes to worst sheer brute force should get it into a reasonable enough state I'd hope. Honestly, at this point I'd take a 30fps cap and zero graphics options in the PC version, so long as I get a stable framerate that doesn't plummet down to 20fps territory at the drop of a hat, I'll be happy enough. We should expect/demand more of course but in reality I just want a version of the game where the gameplay isn't significantly affected by nasty technical issues.

Yes, if the game runs with 30fps locked, and I can play it on my PC with a 360 controller, and the online works so I can play with friends in co-op, then I'm certainly getting the PC version. That would be enough for me. DR1 ran pretty shit too, and had retarded long loading times (ALL THE TIME), and I lived through that after all. :lol

brain_stew said:
I think the biggest problem with the PC version has been the lack of information so far. I have not seen 1 preview of the PC version at all, not even 1. Is that Capcom's fault for not getting that information out there, or the gaming press for not following up on the PC version? Either way, we should know how the PC version runs, what the GUI will be like, resolution options+other visual options, etc...

At the very least maybe a benchmark or a demo released. Capcom has released benchmarks for RE5, DMC4 and Lost Planet PC, so where is the DR2 bench?

Darkshier said:
I think the biggest problem with the PC version has been the lack of information so far. I have not seen 1 preview of the PC version at all, not even 1. Is that Capcom's fault for not getting that information out there, or the gaming press for not following up on the PC version? Either way, we should know how the PC version runs, what the GUI will be like, resolution options+other visual options, etc...

At the very least maybe a benchmark or a demo released. Capcom has released benchmarks for RE5, DMC4 and Lost Planet PC, so where is the DR2 bench?

Oh, absolutely and that's the part which has me most worried. Usually if a developer/publisher is hiding a particular SKU its for a very good reason. :/

Mind, if the PC version does turn out fine it surely will beg the question why Capcom and Blue Castle weren't pimping it more (or at all! :lol ). Showing off a technically sound SKU seems like a no brainer when your two other SKUs have significant, game detracting technical issues.

duckroll said:
Yes, if the game runs with 30fps locked, and I can play it on my PC with a 360 controller, and the online works so I can play with friends in co-op, then I'm certainly getting the PC version. That would be enough for me. DR1 ran pretty shit too, and had retarded long loading times (ALL THE TIME), and I lived through that after all. :lol

Well perfect 360 controller support (confirmed by the game's PC manual) and online multiplayer (through GFWL) are in at least. They were my two main concerns about the PC version initially as well.

Edit: It seems that installing the game on 360 doesn't help loading at all, so maybe the faster HDDs we have on PC won't help either. Guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

brain_stew said:
Significant periods of gameplay at 20fps or under absolutely will affect the players ability to play and enjoy the game, just as it did in Case Zero. A lower framerate means slower controller response and less visual feedback.
brain_stew said:
There were only three moments where I felt the framerate actually affected the response time of your attacks / the controls, though. None of them lasting very long, for what it's worth. Two of those happened in the end-game even, and the third was an (annoying) chase scene relatively early in the storyline.

Disappointing performance no matter which way you look at it truth to be told, but I've played worse on consoles before (Saint's Row comes to mind). Also curious to see how the PC port will turn out.

God dammit, I just BARELY missed out on having a basically perfect run of DR2 in my first actual playthrough (although I did import my character from Case Zero and restarted after the first day). I ended up missing only one psycho (Ted, who funnily enough was the only psycho I saw before I restarted after the first day) and 4 survivors...ARGHHHHHH!!! Oh well, theres always the next playthrough! Finished Overtime mode as well, and is it just me or is it way shorter (and less fun) than the overtime mode in the first game*?

Ihya

Well three slot save is great, big improvement on the first one. When the manual in the first says there is only one save slot but suggests you might want to buy a second storage device if you want to have more than one save, the game has very serious problems. If said game also has a time limit that if you fail at you cannot backtrack at all because you have only one save, then you are unfairly punishing the player.

Sounds like a lot of the other bad design choices elsewhere have been ironed out. Thanks for the info.

Mar said:
I will never understand this mindset for as long as I live. Who cares about the framerate as long as the game is good and it doesn't affect the players ability to play the game?
The player's ability to play the game?? The shitty ass frame rate isnt preventing me from playing the game. Shitty ass framerate isn't a goddamn power outage. But shitty ass fucking shitty frame rate sure as hell isn't making things enjoyable. And it's not a matter of goddamn mindset.

brain_stew said:
Wow, if even IGN have serious issues with the performance then it must be pretty damn terrible. Not susprising after Case Zero, but at least this should shut those up that were trying to play it off as a none-issue. Hopefully the PC version will save the game from forever being tarnished.

Significant periods of gameplay at 20fps or under absolutely will affect the players ability to play and enjoy the game, just as it did in Case Zero. A lower framerate means slower controller response and less visual feedback. It may not be a big deal for you but it really shouldn't be hard to appreciate how it can be for others. We all have different tolerance thresholds.

Alright enough ..just ...just stop (O__o)

brain_stew said:
Oh, absolutely and that's the part which has me most worried. Usually if a developer/publisher is hiding a particular SKU its for a very good reason. :/

Mind, if the PC version does turn out fine it surely will beg the question why Capcom and Blue Castle weren't pimping it more (or at all! :lol ). Showing off a technically sound SKU seems like a no brainer when your two other SKUs have significant, game detracting technical issues.

Well perfect 360 controller support (confirmed by the game's PC manual) and online multiplayer (through GFWL) are in at least. They were my two main concerns about the PC version initially as well.

Edit: It seems that installing the game on 360 doesn't help loading at all, so maybe the faster HDDs we have on PC won't help either. Guess we're just going to have to wait and see.
i'm not surprised by the installation thing. case zero ran from the hard drive and wasn't fast.

i have confidence in the PC version of this. it seems like the 360 is getting all the attention and the ps3 and pc versions not so much, but i think that has more to do with microsoft money than anything else. just my own personal hunch.

JADS

Well my PC version would have arrived today, but apparently there are supply issues and stuff :lol . Guess ill see if I can pick up a PC version tomorrow in a local gamestore.

the fact steam has it for pre-order is kind of reasurring me. hopefully my Q6600 and 4890 can still brute force it.

Does anyone know if i the wireless device that comes packed with 360 controllers now supports multiple controllers

I can't wait to see awesome high res shots with thousands of zombies. Don't let me down PC master race.

my pc sucks or I'd do it myself, and not building a new one till next year :(

Krauser Kat said:
the fact steam has it for pre-order is kind of reasurring me. hopefully my Q6600 and 4890 can still brute force it.

Does anyone know if i the wireless device that comes packed with 360 controllers now supports multiple controllers

It does indeed, I've used it with 3 wireless 360 controllers in SEGA racing for example.

Nif

Krauser Kat said:

It's supported multiple controllers for years, hasn't it? I've used a 3rd party driver that has for as long, so I'm not sure.

From the Steam link it seems a 4ghz Core 2 duo + 4890 is enough for 50-60fps with everything maxed + 4xmsaa!! :D F yeah!

Any old quad should be enough for 60fps gameplay it seems and loading times are vastly reduced as well.

Looking like a Mafia 2 situation here. Console versions unable to handle the engine at acceptable quality but the PC version running and looking utterly fantastic at much better quality. Not bad for a $40/£18 PC game!! :D

Its absolutely dumbfounding that Capcom aren't releasing a PC demo or Case Zero, idiotic on so many levels. They could generate some serious hype among PC gamers if they did. Definitely picking this up now, no doubts left at all.

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU HIDE THIS CAPCOM, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

So stupid.

edgefusion

The complete lack of checkpoints and starting out with only 4 hit points is ruining the game for me, I've died 3 times already and ended up losing a massive chunk of gameplay each time. Having to replay the same lengthy bits of the game repeatedly because the developers decided checkpoints were so passe is making me want to just stop playing altogether.

Nelo Ice

Banned
well glad i canceled my 360 preorder of this

if i can get to building a new pc this winter dr2 pc will definitely be up on my list of pc games to buy :D

edgefusion said:
The complete lack of checkpoints and starting out with only 4 hit points is ruining the game for me, I've died 3 times already and ended up losing a massive chunk of gameplay each time. Having to replay the same lengthy bits of the game repeatedly because the developers decided checkpoints were so passe is making me want to just stop playing altogether.
Save more often, or restart the campaign with your current experience and whatnot intact if necessary.

You're kind of ruining it for yourself from the sounds of it, if I may be so blunt.

onken

edgefusion said:

Just use the save and restart option, you keep your level/XP but start from the beginning so you're stronger than before, kinda like new game+ but without having to finish it first. If you die again, just repeat until you're tough enough to proceed.

brain_stew said:
From the Steam link it seems a 4ghz Core 2 duo + 4890 is enough for 50-60fps with everything maxed + 4xmsaa!! :D F yeah!

Any old quad should be enough for 60fps gameplay it seems and loading times are vastly reduced as well.

Looking like a Mafia 2 situation here. Console versions unable to handle the engine at acceptable quality but the PC version running and looking utterly fantastic at much better quality. Not bad for a $40/£18 PC game!! :D

Garbage posts like this are the whole reason we have the comparison thread. Can't wait for people to start posting 1920x1080 images of their config screens.

So PC version has arrived? Benchmarks sound great as per Capcom games of late. Need screenshots asap though.

Playing DR1 for the first time, still disappointed that i can't acess the Frank West epilogue dlc on PC.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man, it cannot be said enough for people who jump into this but don't understand the logic of Dead Rising yet:

Dead Rising is a quasi-Roguelike.

Just try to remember, please, that you are meant to restart many times, and restarting is a game-winning strategy.

You're supposed to experiment with each run and learn where survivors and objectives are, and consider strategies for tackling the order of escorts and missions. Experiment freely; don't stress about screwing up and wasting time, or wasting items. Go nuts.

Just keep starting over once you've had your fill of a particular run, and refine your strategy the next time.

the best part about having this game on PC is going to be the screenshots and vid captures... from the steam thread...

Me2.jpg

Vamphuntr

So now that some of you have the game (lucky europeans :D ). Do we get something for having a DR 1 save? Does a Case Zero file gives you something asides your 5 levels, your combo cards and your scratch cards? Do you keep the clothes from Case Zero? Does the achievements unlock some special weapons like DR 1?

Top Bottom