• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

duckroll

I have.... I think a Core2 Duo E8400 or E8500 I think, 4 gig of ram, Radeon 4850HD. Any idea what sort of performance I can expect?

Flunkie

Banned
Mar said:
Been playing on 360 and I love it. The survivors and case files really drive you through the game well and keep you wanting to go on without stopping. When there's a bit of time on both you can run around and explore and try new weapons, clothing, and random things. It's really, really awesome and nails Dead Rising.

The cons, well, while there's much more of everything, I feel they've populated it in less interesting ways. For instance, there may be a million more stores, but the layout in the stores feel haphazard, basic and not realistic. I'm also really missing the camera. I remembered just how much that small device added to the game. The feeling of maneuvering through masses of zombies just to get a good shot, then getting that shot and watching the game calculate and circle all of the heads / breasts / whatever was really satisfying.

Other than that though, the game is excellent. Pretty much in every other area Dead Rising 2 is better than the first, and that's a hell of an accomplishment.
While I understand that a camera wouldn't fit into the main character as well as it did with Frank, I still wish that it was incorporated. I loved it for the same reasons you mentioned in the second paragraph, and would love (and even pay) for it to make some sort of return via DLC or whatnot. It was probably one of my favorite parts of the game.

eso76

aristotle said:
Wait is Katey playing a PSP? :lol

At one point she calls Chuck to show him she unlocked a new power in Megaman :)

BTW fuck
snowflake
i just remembered i had not saved in a LONG time and i ran into
her

Highlights of my game today:

" Borat's suit ". Holy. Shit. The following cutscenes had me in tears

Running around on a tiny pink tricycle. Chuck pedalling like crazy and the thing moving slower than you would on foot. I just lost it when i tried pushing Y and Chuck rang the bell in the middle of like 500 zombies. Rrring! Rrring !

Discovering you can carry survivors around on wheelchairs.

Also, survivors can fight. In fact it's sometimes good to have a couple following you.
I gave them weapons and built a small 4 people commando. Just like in DR1 they won't run out of ammo so it's a good idea to let them handle the guns. There's a lot of small things like this that can change the way you play the game and add some depth.

Edit: Also yes, you should be able to grab a camera from one of the shops in the mall and use it to take pics like you would in DR1. I was hoping DR2 would include something like that but it appears it doesn't

Finally, i have a question; on my second playthrough (or if i restart the game) will i have to rescue the survivors i already saved or just the ones i missed ? i don't remember how DR1 handled this.

eso76 said:
Discovering you can carry survivors around on wheelchairs.
I tried this once after carrying around a granny and the game wouldn't let me. :[ Do you get a button prompt for this?

eso76 said:
Finally, i have a question; on my second playthrough (or if i restart the game) will i have to rescue the survivors i already saved or just the ones i missed ? i don't remember how DR1 handled this.
In 1 all of the survivors would need to be saved again on a 'fresh' run. Haven't restarted yet, but it's probably the same in 2 as well.

Ridley327

eso76 said:
In DR1, the survivors would always show up on subsequent playthroughs, but for the achievement associated to meeting all of them, it only needs to register their rescue once. I'd have to imagine that it works similarly in the sequel.

eso76

MicVlaD said:
I tried this once after carrying around a granny and the game wouldn't let me. :[ Do you get a button prompt for this?

no, it's done the same way you do with zombies, just push the wheelchair into their backs

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Can someone explain the time restrictions of this game to someone who never played the original? The whole time factor is whats keeping me from getting this, and im not exactly sure how it works.... Can you just wander around exploring at all, or is the whole game on a huge timer??

JADS

duckroll said:
I have.... I think a Core2 Duo E8400 or E8500 I think, 4 gig of ram, Radeon 4850HD. Any idea what sort of performance I can expect?

There is a guy on the steam forums that has the game running on a E6600 (2,4 Ghz and weaker than the E8XXX series), yours should be quite a bit faster. Maybe brain_stew can give you a better idea on what kind of performance you should be getting.

Steam Forums said:
I'm on a C2D@2.4Ghz, 4GB of ram and GTX280. Yes, I know the CPU is my huge bottleneck (will replace it) and the game is playable (though 'playable' varies from person to person) at 1680x1050. Generally I have around 30fps or more, sometimes it goes to 20 when the are many (and I mean like ♥♥♥♥load of zombies on screen).
It is generally noticeable on the outside, where you can see zombies from one point of a map to the other.

Just like the consoles I would say. BUT I'm pretty sure that decent C2D or any quad will play the game with absolutely no problems at max settings. And switching from low to high hasn't got a big impact on performance so yup, I'm CPU bottlenecked.

One thing that is vastly improved is the loading time. On my end it is like 3-4 seconds tops. And people have been saying that on consoles it takes ages.

The graphics are nothing spectacular but they do the job I think. Though it varies, sometimes the textures are great and detailed and in other parts they look absolutely obnoxious.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17075557&postcount=15

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can someone explain the time restrictions of this game to someone who never played the original? The whole time factor is whats keeping me from getting this, and im not exactly sure how it works.... Can you just wander around exploring at all, or is the whole game on a huge timer??
Entirely up to you.

If you just want to mess around at first, familiarize yourself with / explore the environment and heckle zombies along the way with whatever tool you can find, you can do that without having to worry about the storyline and other deadlines the game throws at you. It's only when you decide to focus on the missions that you'll have to keep an eye on the time limits (how much time you have left is displayed on the HUD), which you can always do when you restart the campaign with PP (= experience), abilities et al from your previous run. Completing these quests gives you all kinds of rewards, some which I already mentioned and if you fail to fulfill a mission (like saving a survivor), you'll get a fail notice on-screen and you'll have to try again next time around. Or reload your save. If it was a case file however (= story missions), you won't be able to progress the plot anymore and you'll get a specific ending depending on how far you got once your three in-game days are over.

Also: you can always download Case Zero for 400 MS Points (only on Xbox 360 though) if you want to get a taste of the Dead Rising mechanics.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Something very stange, when I first ran the game yesterday I was getting 60 fps constant, now when I run it I get 24-60 fps fluctuations in the beginning locker room. I get 24 when I stand infront of the door and look towards the hallway. My specs are:

E8600
HD5850 X2 in crossfire
4 gigs DDR2
Vista x64

Is this normal performance??

brain_stew said:
It does indeed, I've used it with 3 wireless 360 controllers in SEGA racing for example.
Awesome. Bought it anyway. Got two other controllers to use with it too. PC info is so awesome can't wait to play now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
loganclaws said:
Something very stange, when I first ran the game yesterday I was getting 60 fps constant, now when I run it I get 24-60 fps fluctuations in the beginning locker room. I get 24 when I stand infront of the door and look towards the hallway. My specs are:

E8600
HD5850 X2 in crossfire
4 gigs DDR2
Vista x64

Is this normal performance??
Try disabling Catalyst AI in the CCC.

Plasma

Banned
Just finished the game
on overtime mode, that zombie that pops up out of no where at the end scared the shit out of me
:lol

Volcynika

Keikoku said:
So if I buy the PC version will I have my progress from Case Zero ? (since the game use GFWL...)

Wouldn't you both need your file from Case Zero + the PC version to recognize it? I don't think GFWL would make much of a difference in that case.

duckroll

JADS said:
There is a guy on the steam forums that has the game running on a E6600 (2,4 Ghz and weaker than the E8XXX series), yours should be quite a bit faster. Maybe brain_stew can give you a better idea on what kind of performance you should be getting.

Okay, that sounds good. I think it should run well on my system. Will probably get it soon. Thanks.

Keikoku

Banned
Volcynika said:
Wouldn't you both need your file from Case Zero + the PC version to recognize it? I don't think GFWL would make much of a difference in that case.

Yeah I think you're right. Damn, I want my levels, but I also want the best version :(

seady

For people who played the game, is Chuck just as likeable as Frank?
I already like him much more from Case Zero as he has a more interesting personality and history.

duckroll said:
I have a worse rig than that and can run it decently enough, frame breaks but nothing serious, unless the game hates Ati cards I think you can run this smoother than butter
brain_stew said:
You're actually using the m&kb controls!? I kinda figured anyone picking this game up would have a controller handy. Are they decent? I just can't imagine a game like this mapping well to the kb&m, its going to be 360 controller all the way for me.
Plays like any third person game so far.

duckroll

Okay, the PC version is sounding pretty damn sweet, and it's 39.99 on Steam. I think I'm going to preload this sucker later. :D

Flunkie

Banned
Keikoku said:
Yeah I think you're right. Damn, I want my levels, but I also want the best version :(
I'm in the same predicament. :(

It's so hard deciding if I want better graphics or being able to play more easily (due to my setup in my dorm). I highly doubt it, but does GFWL enable coop with XBL people? I'd love to play with my friends on Xbox but have graphical superiority myself.

Kuraudo said:
Loving DR2. Just had my first psycho encounter (
chainsaw bike guy from the start of the game
). Got lucky at the end and found a stick of dynamite which I hurled at him while he was resting :lol

OMG that game sounds awesome. :lol

duckroll

Prime crotch said:
Some places have it for 20 quids, like zavvi

I did some checking, and it seems local stores here might be selling it when it's out next week for even less than the Steam price after currency conversion. I shall be patient. :D

Keikoku said:

Dude, seriously it takes a few survivor rescues to get well past level 5. The money thing I can understand, but don't worry, money is always available to farm.

Diablos

So what's the verdict on the PS3 IQ? Is it the same as 360? The 360 textures can be pretty dull at times, so anything worse would be really unappealing. I'd buy this for PC if I had a better GPU, definitely.

duckroll said:
You should definitely be in the clear and then some.

bedlamite

c670a52e.jpg

oh my

JADS

bedlamite said:

:lol :lol :lol

Did some playing around even though I can't save, yet. Favorite weapon so far is
Bucket + Drill
. That was so freaking brutal :lol

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just completed the game with an S-rank ending! :D

Couple of impressions/notes:

*Importing the progress from Case Zero definitely helped a lot. Made the opening easier and I already had all the combo cards for making custom stuff.
*Custom weapons are good fun, but I still miss the camera. Having a kinda storage room or item locker would be useful though.
*Awesome range of weapons too. Loved the handful of minigames. Pawn shop I didn't really use much.
*Killed most of psychopaths too, but saw them all. Really, really diverse, scariest for me was probably
Slappy
. Holy shit.
*Already been posted but survivor fetching is lots of fun. I had one or two helping out with the bosses occassionally, love having a group together.
*I did make all of the case missions on time, but felt I still missed out a lot of the side missions because of it. There's always something to do.
*Story wise, ah pretty good, preferred the first. Some nice references to the original too.
*Frame-rate does dip, especially outside in the main area. It's...well, you'll only see it once or twice. Not worthy of the mass hysteria we've had already.

I think I prefer the first, but it's a solid sequel that improves on quite a bit. Loved it.

Vamphuntr

RichardAM said:
Just completed the game with an S-rank ending! :D

Couple of impressions/notes:

*Importing the progress from Case Zero definitely helped a lot. Made the opening easier and I already had all the combo cards for making custom stuff.
*Custom weapons are good fun, but I still miss the camera. Having a kinda storage room or item locker would be useful though.
*Awesome range of weapons too. Loved the handful of minigames. Pawn shop I didn't really use much.
*Killed most of psychopaths too, but saw them all. Really, really diverse, scariest for me was probably
Slappy
. Holy shit.
*Already been posted but survivor fetching is lots of fun. I had one or two helping out with the bosses occassionally, love having a group together.
*I did make all of the case missions on time, but felt I still missed out a lot of the side missions because of it. There's always something to do.
*Story wise, ah pretty good, preferred the first. Some nice references to the original too.
*Frame-rate does dip, especially outside in the main area. It's...well, you'll only see it once or twice. Not worthy of the mass hysteria we've had already.

I think I prefer the first, but it's a solid sequel that improves on quite a bit. Loved it.

Thanks for your impressions :D ! Can you confirm what is imported from Case Zero? I asked yesterday but no one cared. You get your 5 levels, combo and scratch cards? Do you get to bring the clothes in Case Zero too? Does it unlock something else? Anything for having a DR 1 save?

Also did they improve the bike's control from Case Zero. I found it pretty terrible in Case Zero.

So hyped for this.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Vamphuntr said:
Can you confirm what is imported from Case Zero? I asked yesterday but no one cared. You get your 5 levels, combo and scratch cards? Do you get to bring the clothes in Case Zero too? Does it unlock something else? Anything for having a DR 1 save?

Also did they improve the bike's control from Case Zero. I found it pretty terrible in Case Zero..

Level, combo and scratch cards, outfits you've worn (I had waitress/hunter/bowler). That's all I got I think. Nothing for a Dead Rising 1 save.

I was only on a bike twice- once in the online mode and once in story. Both seemed better, but still kinda "slidy". They basically handle the same as the bike in the first game.

Vamphuntr

RichardAM said:
Level, combo and scratch cards, outfits you've worn (I had waitress/hunter/bowler). That's all I got I think. Nothing for a Dead Rising 1 save.

I was only on a bike twice- once in the online mode and once in story. Both seemed better, but still kinda "slidy". They basically handle the same as the bike in the first game.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yay I will get to keep my cowboy hat :D

Got the game, and loving it so far.

I have a quick question; how do I reach
Johnny (one of the snipers in the Silver Strip)? He's at the top of a giant building,
and I don't see a way up there.

EDIT: Never mind, I found a ladder.

eso76

seady said:
For people who played the game, is Chuck just as likeable as Frank?
I already like him much more from Case Zero as he has a more interesting personality and history.

Oh Chuck is awesome. He is just perfect and perfectly designed. Part of it comes from being able to customize his look in even more stupid ways without him (or anyone around him) ever caring, which adds to the nonsense and can result in hilarious cutscenes.

His face and default facial expression are priceless.

Top Bottom