• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

Just beat the game for reals for reals:

What a fuckin ride. Loved every minute of it, even with it's many quirks. The scare at the end got me. :lol

Damnit. After leveling up a bunch, stocking up on some great weapons and healing items, I still couldn't beat that first psychopath.

That C.U.R.E. guy is a cheap as hell. Even after getting the dodge skill, it's still too slow to avoid his attacks consistently. What am I supposed to do here? Hitting the guy doesn't stun him, so if I attack I'm going to get stabbed even with my really fast weapons (Tenderizers). You would think a beginning boss would be a little easier.

MMaRsu said:
There is, but you have to unlock it ( dodge roll ). He is one of the few survivors you can leave in the bathroom while you go out and pick up food and weapons and he'll still be there when you get back. Not so hard at all, some of you are overthinking this game too much. You have so much freedom in this game it's crazy really.

There's no healing anywhere near the boss and I'm worried if I move too far away he'll heal.

MMaRsu

Tkawsome said:
Damnit. After leveling up a bunch, stocking up on some great weapons and healing items, I still couldn't beat that first psychopath.

That C.U.R.E. guy is a cheap as hell. Even after getting the dodge skill, it's still too slow to avoid his attacks consistently. What am I supposed to do here? Hitting the guy doesn't stun him, so if I attack I'm going to get stabbed even with my really fast weapons. You would think a beginning boss would be a little easier.

There's no healing anywhere near the boss and I'm worried if I move too far away he'll heal.

No food items anywhere? Did you check garbage bins? Just throw them and sometimes food will come out. Don't eat spoiled food, because that will make chuck throw up. But the tactic I used was hit him twice, dodgeroll :p. What level are you? What's your attack stat at?

MMaRsu said:
No food items anywhere? Did you check garbage bins? Just throw them and sometimes food will come out. Don't eat spoiled food, because that will make chuck throw up. But the tactic I used was hit him twice, dodgeroll :p. What level are you? What's your attack stat at?

All I found was a single snack. I didn't know you could throw bins for health though. Not sure what my level is, I just unlocked the dodge.

Conceited said:
He won't, you're able to go as far away as you want and he won't heal.

Well that helps.

I will add that the voice acting for that guy is really good. Actually that whole scene is pretty well made, are all the psychopath intros this good?

Tkawsome said:

That C.U.R.E. guy is a cheap as hell. Even after getting the dodge skill, it's still too slow to avoid his attacks consistently. What am I supposed to do here? Hitting the guy doesn't stun him, so if I attack I'm going to get stabbed even with my really fast weapons. You would think a beginning boss would be a little easier.

Blitzkrieg.

dooropening. Drive forwards, drive backwards.

Waste the motherfucker.

Bring additional survivors with guns to a knife fight.

chew bubblegum

Zeitgeister said:
Blitzkrieg.

dooropening. Drive forwards, drive backwards.

Waste the motherfucker.

Bring additional survivors with guns to a knife fight.

chew bubblegum

How about the electric wheel chair? Would he just get hit when he dives at me, or will the game somehow let the hit still connect? There's a room to build it nearby and I have no clue where a light machine gun is.

duckroll said:
The CURE dude is the hardest psycho fight I've experienced so far. His timing is really tight, he's fast, and he actually does A LOT of damage. It was a pretty grueling battle.

That's strange. I had no problem with that dude, and yet I've died on the chef four times now. :lol I'm dreading going back there, but that was when I was around level 20... so maybe I stand a chance now.

Ferrio

Banned
disappeared said:
That's strange. I had no problem with that dude, and yet I've died on the chef four times now. :lol I'm dreading going back there, but that was when I was around level 20... so maybe I stand a chance now.

20? Wow I was fighting him at 7... no wonder he was kicking my ass?

Tkawsome said:
How about the electric wheel chair? Would he just get hit when he dives at me, or will the game somehow let the hit still connect? There's a room to build it nearby and I have no clue where a light machine gun is.

Didn't work for me. Instead of walking into it, he punched it to the side.

You could still punch him with it though, or just throw it.

You don't even need the rolling dodge to avoid the C.U.R.E guy's attack. He runs at you and then does a jump attack when he's close enough. So long as you're running away from him when he starts the jump, he'll miss, and then you can beat on him. Get a few attacks in, and run away before he counterattacks. He'll either run at you again, or jump into one of the stalls, and appear elsewhere. Either way, just repeat the process.

I didn't find many of the psychopaths particularly difficult, as I realised they all seem to share a common pattern. Dodge an attack, go for them as soon as their attack animation ends, get two or three hits in, and then run before they counterattack.

I used the knife gloves for pretty much every psychopath, as they do good damage, and are fast. The Defiler is great for certain fights though, if they leave themselves open for long enough for you to use the circular swing attack (which actually starts up faster than a standard swing). You'll almost undoubtedly take a hit, but you'll do a lot of damage first.

I'm surprised so many people are having such difficulty with the chef. I actually found his constant healing made him more vulnerable, as it leaves him open to an attack, and two or three hits from a good weapon will easily do more damage than however much he healed (unless you're slow in reaching him).

Oh, and for anybody struggling with the second from last fight (ie. the last fight before Overtime), I found that's the one psychopath where guns are actually useful.

Jaroof

Revolutionary said:
Just beat the game for reals for reals:

What a fuckin ride. Loved every minute of it, even with it's many quirks. The scare at the end got me. :lol

Haha that got me too..
I was sitting there, daydreaming and thinking about the story from Dead Rising 1, when all of a sudden, the scare came up got me. Definitely didn't expect that.

daycru

Just started over for the second time, first time was getting stuck on the nightclub psycho at level 17, and this time I missed the start of Boom Town. Level 25, should be good to go real this time.

Fusebox

Banned
Finally got it working last night, I had to manually run gfwl.exe and set that up first. It runs surprisingly decent at 1920 x 1200 too, looks awesome. Was a bit hesitant it'd be more of the same as DR1 but I'm loving it so far. MMA gloves are wicked. :D

duckroll

Himuro said:
ahahahahaha

the mailman and slappy feel straight out of DR1 :lol

The mailman :lol

True story: When I made my previous post telling you to keep playing, I originally specifically mentioned the mailman. Then I decided to let you experience it for yourself without prior warning. :D

see5harp

Some Weaklin said:
Is the online already dead? I wanted to try out Terror is Reality and I've never found more than 2 people. (360)

Not sure but I'm trying it out tonight if you wanna give it a shot.

Huggy

I like using the dropkick on psychopaths. You hit them for a decent amount of damage, and they're open for another attack after they miss their attack when you're laying down.

Huggy said:
I like using the dropkick on psychopaths. You hit them for a decent amount of damage, and they're open for another attack after they miss their attack when you're laying down.

Speaking of skill attacks, I have the drop kick, curb stomp, jump kick and front kick along with some body smash moves. I love to put on the red track suit and some gloves and knives, either type, and go to town.

Wow, where have I been? Playing the game I guess. :)

ChackanKun said:
So now that lot's of people played it, is it a YEY or NAY?

It's a yey. Second playthrough and I'd actually say it's probably better than DR1. Not for everyone, but if you like, chances are you'll love it. I was playing through in tandem with a friend who never liked the first one, and our sporadic communication through MSN pretty much consisted of a Keanu Reeves-like succession of "WHOAS" and other such exclamations as we discovered the next insanely imaginative bit. It's his game of the year now.

see5harp said:
Not sure but I'm trying it out tonight if you wanna give it a shot.

I played a game on PC last night and it was fucking great. Made 65 grand and had a blast. I hope it doesn't die quickly. I've yet to even play co-op and want to quite badly.

The last 5% of a psychopath's energy is their most dangerous for me.

Because that's the time I go "THIS IS TAKING TOO LONG" and go off my strategy and end up dying.

Nos_G

ChackanKun said:

xdy04j.jpg

Also, bacon + beer = win.

Alex

Diablos said:
Man, whatever engine Blue Castle put together must not be very optimized. This isn't exactly Crysis-level graphics we're talking about here, even if maxed out. :lol

Seems fine to me? It's a very good looking game and has wall to wall oceans of on screen models and I have no problem getting a solid 60 fps maxed at 1080p. It might not be quite as optimized as say RE5 was, but it's not a bad effort at all.

ScrubJay

I grabbed this for PS3, never having touched dead rising before. I barely made the first couple of story cases on time and missed the 7:30 PM one due to running into a Psycho when I was least expecting it. I killed him but ran into the CURE guy shortly afterward and died horribly. I restarted and traced my steps and owned him last night. Having a lot of fun learning this game.

I also tried TIR last night, won my first episode and came in 4th in the next one. The winnings were ludicrous either way. It's an amusing diversion, but I'd rather keep my money low to keep the game a challenge.

PSGames

Just picked this up today and waiting for it to install at the moment. Question: do we get all the PP from our Case Zero saves? Or what exactly gets transferred?

Vamphuntr

PSGames said:
Just picked this up today and waiting for it to install at the moment. Question: do we get all the PP from our Case Zero saves? Or what exactly gets transferred?

You get up to 5 levels, your combo cards and scratch cards and you get some extra clothes in your locker from Case Zero (not sure if you get them anyway?).

Jaroof

Holy shit.
I just covered a tuxedo in blood.. I didn't see any black through the blood :lol
I love this game. LOVE IT!
Oh and
knife gloves
are amazing. Probably the best weapon for bosses.

kjsdkjdffjskkjsf i can rarely play Terror is Reality :( it either keeps disconnecting or not enough people join in to start.
I played 1 complete match out of 13 tries :( :/

also :lol wtf i need some help on this boss
Sullivan is a real bitch, am i suppose to fight him hand to hand? I tried throwing a flare at him and that worked once but i keep dying a lot, i might just go around him shooting blindly uncharted style :lol

this game gets a big YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY , really loving it, just need TIR to work more and it will be even better

The M.O.B

The game seems rather light hearted at times, but

Did they have to blow away rebecca? I knew the guard was a baddy from the start ;(

ezekial45

Banned
Antoine kicked my ass. I had to run away when all my weapons broke and i couldn't find anything to fight back with. I think i'm gonna have to let him go.

Does the survivor give you anything useful?

Salsa

OQXsD.jpg

OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK

i made it

Loving the game, currently on Case 4.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
friskykillface said:
kjsdkjdffjskkjsf i can rarely play Terror is Reality :( it either keeps disconnecting or not enough people join in to start.
I played 1 complete match out of 13 tries :( :/

also :lol wtf i need some help on this boss
Sullivan is a real bitch, am i suppose to fight him hand to hand? I tried throwing a flare at him and that worked once but i keep dying a lot, i might just go around him shooting blindly uncharted style :lol

this game gets a big YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY , really loving it, just need TIR to work more and it will be even better

How to beat
Sullivan
without getting hit:
Ok, so basically you need to fill your entire inventory with guns, anything but handguns really. Then you go upstairs and trigger the cut scene, after the cutscene and the fight starts go to your right and stand in the corner until he throws a stick of dynamite at you, roll out of the way and let it explode (it might take a few tries to get it to explode), once the hole is in the ground, drop down onto the highest crate. Look up to his platform and you will be able to shoot at him without having any retaliation. He will be rolling constantly so don't just aim and fire in one spot, watch his pattern and find the best spot to shoot at. If you need more guns/ammo just drop down and take the elevator downstairs, you can find a bunch of handguns in the restaurant to your left, or you can go find other guns elsewhere. There is also a bathroom to your right for saving

Zabka

ezekial45 said:
Antoine kicked my ass. I had to run away when all my weapons broke and i couldn't find anything to fight back with. I think i'm gonna have to let him go.

Does the survivor give you anything useful?
After having lots of trouble I ended up killing him with a single lance from the medieval fast food place across the way. Stick & move!

eek5

ChackanKun said:
DR1 for me was a 7.5/10. It had some huge problems but it was so fun that I could keep playing. DR2 is easily a 9/10 imo. Definitely a yey!

so i'm level 19 and I have 6.5 million dollars
3 gambling books + giant slot machine = win

oh, and bIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG
YES

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
elrechazao said:
so i'm level 19 and I have 6.5 million dollars
3 gambling books + giant slot machine = win

oh, and bIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG
YES

Did you play the $100,000 entry fee poker game yet?

Top Bottom