• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

putarorex

I just finished the game on my second playthrough (spent first just levelling and got the D ending). Overall it was pretty dang good, much better than the first.

However, the bosses were pure frustration, especially the last two on the S ending. Even at level 50, I was struggling and just ended up watching you tube videos to figure out the tricks. Still, I would jump wrong, roll wrong, or do something to get me near death several times (like picking up a cardboard box instead of a critical orange juice). I am getting too old--I am not coordinated enough for boss battles anymores. :D Oh well, off to sell the game to get some of my money back.

BitchTits

TemplaerDude said:
I want to like this game so bad but the follower AI is just so fucking god damn terrible.

"Keep going!"

Doesn't follow

"Follow me!"

Stands there looking stupid

"Stay over there!"

Ignores me

"Keep going!"

Dies.

What the fuck?

Seriously?

What the fuck?!

The game should just tell me straight up that they aren't going to follow me when it gives me the mission to save them so I can just IGNORE it and not waste my god damn time.

Guh.

I'm giving this game another shot but if it's just more frustration, I'm putting it on the shelf next to the first game which I also never finished.
Ridiculous, you must be doing something wrong. You know once you set a marker for them, hitting Y again will remove it.

The survivors in DR2 are like tanks compared to DR1, they never die and even free themselves from zombie attacks most of the time. And they will just keep going without you having to worry about them. I even try to keep some tagging along for boss fights, give them a fire arm and they basically do the job for you.

Go plan DR1 and watch survivors get stuck on a pot plant then come back.

TemplaerDude said:
I want to like this game so bad but the follower AI is just so fucking god damn terrible.

"Keep going!"

Doesn't follow

"Follow me!"

Stands there looking stupid

"Stay over there!"

Ignores me

"Keep going!"

Dies.

What the fuck?

Seriously?

What the fuck?!

The game should just tell me straight up that they aren't going to follow me when it gives me the mission to save them so I can just IGNORE it and not waste my god damn time.

Guh.

I'm giving this game another shot but if it's just more frustration, I'm putting it on the shelf next to the first game which I also never finished.

UUUUH...you just suck real bad. The friendly AI is improved to near perfection now. like others have said, play DR1, then come back. DR2 survivor AI is great! a very welcome change and made the game more enjoyable. Made me want to finish it more bad than the First DR1.

Piano

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It was probably just a glitch or he didn't realize they didn't join him or something innocent.

No reason to cast aspersions on him.
Are you KIDDING? He's an idiot and he should know that. UGH.

quickwhips

ShockingAlberto said:
It was probably just a glitch or he didn't realize they didn't join him or something innocent.

No reason to cast aspersions on him.

reasonable answer.

TheEastonator said:
Are you KIDDING? He's an idiot and he should know that. UGH.

Asshole answer.

But So far this game has been awesome. I haven't had to many weird bugs show up and I really liked playing it. Also I have been saving in coop now and its not kicking me out anymore. But No patch has came out. Weird.

quickwhips said:
reasonable answer.

Asshole answer.

But So far this game has been awesome. I haven't had to many weird bugs show up and I really liked playing it. Also I have been saving in coop now and its not kicking me out anymore. But No patch has came out. Weird.

I've only had one glitch in this game so far, other than the co-op save glitch. Fighting Slappy with my co-op partner, I got blasted out of the game's map by his flaming spitball attack. My partner got downed by Slappy and I couldn't do anything as I was miles out of the games map and unable to do anything but quit. It was pretty funny and I haven't seen anything like that happen since. That was on the 360 version btw.

One thing I have to mention though, are the performance differences between 360 and PC versions. It's crazy just how much better the PC version runs. I am on a x3 @3.4ghz with a 5770 and 4gb of RAM for reference. The biggest differences to me are the menus and the framerate.

On 360, DR2 struggles just when accessing the menus and either loading or saving a game. You have a few seconds of pause between the menu screens and it is very frustrating. Not so on PC, the menu's are very snappy and respond instantly to my input.

The framerate is also running very smooth, 30+fps minimum and a lot of the time it's at 60fps. Even with a ton of zombies around or even throwing a IED into those zombies, the framerate is rock solid. It's almost a night and day difference going between 360 and PC versions.

Loading times are also drastically decreased. I would say the loading time is cut in half at least. Very awesome as those loading times can add up and get really annoying.

This is running at a 1366x768 res, with all settings at High, 16x AF and 8x AA. The game itself looks much better with these settings and I am even noticing little details around Fortune City that I never did before while playing on 360.

Cool to hear. Still plan on double-dipping on the PC version down the road ...probably during a Steam sale.
Capcom Vancouver completely deserves as much as money as they can get for DR2, as far as I'm concernced!

Finished my first playthrough today, about to start my second one and can't really figure out what to do next. Unlock the cars, get all the survivors/subquests or go for the achievements. :lol

Ending screamer scared the hell outta me. :lol Should've expected it after Condemned and Dead Space

Mar said:
So it did come up with giant blue letters saying PERSON HAS JOINED. Right? If so, it sounds like they glitched out on you. That's not normal.

Playing coop also seems to result in an annoying lag between talking to a survivor and them joining. It can take anything up to a minute of them standing around doing nothing before the message comes up and they actually follow you.

luxarific said:
Also, is it possible to have Bibi
turn into a psycho? 'Cause she seems a bit psycho-ish. But I managed to have her follow me in the end. I wasn't sure if there was only one outcome to that mission. If you screw up on the fireworks in the concert enough times will she turn on you?

She basically is a psycho until you complete her mission successfully and save her from the zombies. If you take too long or completely mess up the QTE then she blows everyone up (Chuck is oddly unaffected), including her self. The first time I did that mission it timed out just as the fireworks part started triggering the death cutscene. But the game glitched and she didn't die, despite the game reporting her as being dead. So I had a weird unresponsive ghost Bibi onstage until I shot her and she died for real.

Got to the end
fight with TK
, only to die and realize I didn't save after collecting all that shit. :(

Gonna run through today and finish it. Plus, Level 50! :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Strummerjones said:
She basically is a psycho until you complete her mission successfully and save her from the zombies. If you take too long or completely mess up the QTE then she blows everyone up (Chuck is oddly unaffected), including her self. The first time I did that mission it timed out just as the fireworks part started triggering the death cutscene. But the game glitched and she didn't die, despite the game reporting her as being dead. So I had a weird unresponsive ghost Bibi onstage until I shot her and she died for real.

Thanks! I made the mistake of picking up the
depressed survivor in Palisades mall and he kept on shooting the zombie audience I was trying to attract with fireworks. :lol I eventually had to close him up in the nearby cashier's office. As it was, he delayed me so much that I started 5-2 too late to complete it before time ran out. So I'll leave him until after 5-2. Bibi's a great way to get the 8-person achievement however, butI could have used fewer closeups of her ass.

BitchTits said:
Ridiculous, you must be doing something wrong. You know once you set a marker for them, hitting Y again will remove it.

The survivors in DR2 are like tanks compared to DR1, they never die and even free themselves from zombie attacks most of the time. And they will just keep going without you having to worry about them. I even try to keep some tagging along for boss fights, give them a fire arm and they basically do the job for you.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
UUUUH...you just suck real bad. The friendly AI is improved to near perfection now. like others have said, play DR1, then come back. DR2 survivor AI is great! a very welcome change and made the game more enjoyable. Made me want to finish it more bad than the First DR1.

:lol Yeah sure, I suck at playing games guys. Only been doing it most of my life.

Fuck, you can't say anything in official threads without people jumping all over your back and accusing you of being an idiot.

YoungHav said:
anyone get the 72K zombie genocider achievement? If so what did you do and how long did it take?

I haven't done it and probably never will. All you got to do is drive the SUV up and down the open parkway a couple thousand times.

But there's no point in going for the Zombie Genocider in this one. You don't get jack for doing it. At least there was a good reason to go for the genocider in DR1 - the megablaster was instant win. It was the best reward in the game.

I won't waste my time for a couple lousy achievement points or a freaking trophy.

I enjoy the boss fights but they are cheap as fuck. Why cant I attack them when they taunt? My attacks go right through them.

Also beat it twice. Got the D ending on my first run than just got my S ending:D. At level 48 and now its time so just mindlessly kill 72,000 zombies and get some achievements that will be actually fun to get. Just need a quick tip: where is the best place to kill the most zombies?

TemplaerDude said:
:lol Yeah sure, I suck at playing games guys. Only been doing it most of my life.

Fuck, you can't say anything in official threads without people jumping all over your back and accusing you of being an idiot.

But did you play DR1? The survivors in DR2 are extremely easy to handle by comparison.

TemplaerDude said:

No, that's just the few guys on here thinking they're king shit. Ignore 'em.

Regarding your difficulties with the survivors, it was most likely either a glitch, or you hadn't fully got them to join yet. Sometimes you have to talk to them several times before the blue-colored "____ has joined!" message pops. Personally I've never had a problem with any of the survivors, and when they've died it's been entirely my fault. Hopefully you can still enjoy the game.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
But did you play DR1? The survivors in DR2 are extremely easy to handle by comparison.

Yes I did and I completely agree for the most part aside from the shitty experience I had yesterday, which I'm going to find out now was most definitely a glitch, I'm sure, since I just turned this game on. I'm in the mood to kill zombies.

It's just... ugh, this is why I don't like posting in official threads for the most part because if you ever say anything remotely negative about the game people start jumping you online. I've played my way through a game or two in my life, it shouldn't be easier to assume I'm an idiot who doesn't know what a d-pad does. Or whatever.

Though thanks to the people who didn't insult me and actually related their experiences to me and helped me put aside my fear of this being more than a one off fuck-up.

Raxus

BitchTits said:

I am finishing my DR1 achievements (just need the 7d survivor and transmissionary) and it is insane how much you have to baby survivors in that game. Hand holding is an awful mechanic and half the survivors ask you to do it. Even if they CAN defend themselves they are so braindead you have to make sure they are 3 steps behind you at all times. They get caught up in the weirest places, (ponds, the potted plant before the safe room, THE FUCKING LEDGE right at the safe room, etc.) they cry like little bitches ALL the time, and when I was doing Frank the Pimp one of the grls ran away from me straight into zombies.

Yeah DR2 fixed all that and has MORE survivors. Even with the time limits it is too easy to get over 50 survivors if you have your wits about you.

I'm glad I'm playing through a much older save, that knowing smile Chuck gets when he first walks into a maintenance room and sees the bat and nails is priceless. :lol

Dram

TemplaerDude said:
Though thanks to the people who didn't insult me and actually related their experiences to me and helped me put aside my fear of this being more than a one off fuck-up.

Which survivors did you have trouble with?

Bebpo

Banned
Host Samurai said:
I enjoy the boss fights but they are cheap as fuck. Why cant I attack them when they taunt? My attacks go right through them.

Also beat it twice. Got the D ending on my first run than just got my S ending:D. At level 48 and now its time so just mindlessly kill 72,000 zombies and get some achievements that will be actually fun to get. Just need a quick tip: where is the best place to kill the most zombies?

Yeah, invincibility frames in bosses are lazy design. They're just there to prevent you from trapping a boss and beating on him until he dies. It's not as satisfying in any action game when sometimes your hits go right through an enemy without registering. In DR2 the bosses are invincible for at least 50% of the time you are fighting them if you constantly attack them.

Raxus said:
They get caught up in the weirest places, (ponds, the potted plant before the safe room, THE FUCKING LEDGE right at the safe room, etc.)

That's the one that kills me every fucking time, especially if you have more than 1 survivor. It's so unbelievably frustrating when you have to be somewhere else but you're stuck trying to get a few survivors onto that damn ledge. Most of the time they'll just be continously running into each other.

If nothing else, DR2 beats DR1 just because there are no more ledges.

Ferrio

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, invincibility frames in bosses are lazy design. They're just there to prevent you from trapping a boss and beating on him until he dies. It's not as satisfying in any action game when sometimes your hits go right through an enemy without registering. In DR2 the bosses are invincible for at least 50% of the time you are fighting them if you constantly attack them.

It wouldn't be so bad if Chuck got the same perks, but nope you can be knocked down and wailed on relentlessly.

Bebpo said:

Agreed, totally lazy. At least you still can swallow your pride, get creative, and exploit their weak design for the most part.

I haven't done it and probably never will. All you got to do is drive the SUV up and down the open parkway a couple thousand times.

But there's no point in going for the Zombie Genocider in this one. You don't get jack for doing it. At least there was a good reason to go for the genocider in DR1 - the megablaster was instant win. It was the best reward in the game.

I won't waste my time for a couple lousy achievement points or a freaking trophy.

Well that sucks to hear =/

SPEA

Been playing for about a day of game time. Absolutely love it. I could see how people have issues with certain things, but they ain't bothering me at all. I'm constantly thinking about playing it while at work and that's always a sign of a good game.

That's the one that kills me every fucking time, especially if you have more than 1 survivor. It's so unbelievably frustrating when you have to be somewhere else but you're stuck trying to get a few survivors onto that damn ledge. Most of the time they'll just be continously running into each other.

If nothing else, DR2 beats DR1 just because there are no more ledges.

Yeah, the ledge outside the safe room was absolutely the worst thing in DR1. Just can't begin to imagine what they were thinking. Was so glad to see there's nothing like that in DR2.

Just had an annoying bug playing it in co-op just now. We'd been doing a save everyone playthrough, but when we reached Andy (the annoying guy who is threatening to kill himself), he promptly went and Cobained without any explanation. We started again, and it did the same thing twice more. Every time it claimed the message had expired, but the bar was almost at maximum still as we had only just got the case. The last time I'd nearly skipped through the reams of shit he talks to save him when it did it again, so we took the hint and left him.

Sanic

So, yesterday I tried the final boss many, many more times throughout the day and I eventually stopped out of frusteration. I've just tried a few more times, and no luck. I could be here for a very long time, but it'll feel so good once i've finished this off :lol

Haunted said:
He is real easy once you know the two magic words.
Knife Gloves.

Spam the Double Leg Jump Kick -> hit him twice with the knife gloves, rinse, repeat. I thought he was complete bullshit before, but it's a cakewalk that way. Especially since you already seem to have a good strategy to take off a lot of his health before.

I actually don't think I have the Double Leg Jump Kick yet, i'm only a level 15.

Dram

Strummerjones, I think both players have to be near him while talking to him in co-op. Just have both of you jump on the thing he's on, and wait till he joins before anyone tries to leave the area.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
GODDAMN. Why is there always a Terror is Reality expert in my games?! I have the highest TIR score on my friendlist yet all of them have gotten the "win an episode" achievement and I haven't. I think I'm gonna get the "come first in all 9 events" achievement before I ever win a damn episode. :lol

onken

Bebpo said:

Totally agree. I'd much rather they have twice as much health and no invincibility frames, would be much more satifying.

Jubbly

Strummerjones said:
Just had an annoying bug playing it in co-op just now. We'd been doing a save everyone playthrough, but when we reached Andy (the annoying guy who is threatening to kill himself), he promptly went and Cobained without any explanation. We started again, and it did the same thing twice more. Every time it claimed the message had expired, but the bar was almost at maximum still as we had only just got the case. The last time I'd nearly skipped through the reams of shit he talks to save him when it did it again, so we took the hint and left him.

AFAIK, you need other survivors in your party to show Andy that there's hope.

Ridley327

Jubbly said:
AFAIK, you need other survivors in your party to show Andy that there's hope.
You don't need to, but he seems to react negatively to non-standard costume choices on your character. I know he freaks out and shoots himself if you're wearing one of the scary masks.

Ridley327 said:
You don't need to, but he seems to react negatively to non-standard costume choices on your character. I know he freaks out and shoots himself if you're wearing one of the scary masks.

Wow, I did not even consider this. I was wearing the yellow Bruce Lee costume, but I guess the sight of my co-op partner wearing the superhero mask and a tight tube top was too much for the poor fellow.

Haunted

Pandoracell said:
I actually don't think I have the Double Leg Jump Kick yet, i'm only a level 15.
Oh, hm. :lol

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be that underpowered when facing this boss. What you're attempting is more akin to a low-level run in a RPG, so just like when doing one of those, you'll have to play very skillfully or exploit some clever strategies to beat him.

I'd do some grinding if I were you, makes it much more enjoyable for me. But other people love to tackle such self-imposed challenges, so go for it if you're the type. :D

Sanic

Haunted said:
Oh, hm. :lol

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be that underpowered when facing this boss. What you're attempting is more akin to a low-level run in a RPG, so just like when doing one of those, you'll have to play very skillfully or exploit some clever strategies to beat him.

I'd do some grinding if I were you, makes it much more enjoyable for me. But other people love to tackle such self-imposed challenges, so go for it if you're the type. :D

I intended on grinding for a bit, restarting, then playing through the case files, but I was doing so well with the case files that I just kept going. That may have just screwed me over, right at the very end :lol. I've gotten so close to beating him a few times that i'm bound to finish it eventually, it's just a matter of having the patience to suffer through the fight over and over until i'm done with it. I appreciate all of the tips people have given over the past day, though!

Risette

A Good Citizen
What's the quickest way to level 50? I'm at level 30 and I'm in
overtime
. I'd prefer to grind there so I can be level 50 for my next playthrough.

Strummerjones said:

I don't know about the whole costume thing that was mentioned but I do know you're supposed to sit there and listen to everything he says. If you were playing co-op chances are your partner hit the skip button prompting the kill self outcome.

Jubbly

Aigis said:
What's the quickest way to level 50? I'm at level 30 and I'm in
overtime
. I'd prefer to grind there so I can be level 50 for my next playthrough.

Get the rescue mag and psycho mag and just play the game normally. You will easily hit 50.

KibblesBits said:
I don't know about the whole costume thing that was mentioned but I do know you're supposed to sit there and listen to everything he says. If you were playing co-op chances are your partner hit the skip button prompting the kill self outcome.
You can skip everything he says. I never listen to these arseholes.

KibblesBits said:

As Psychotext said this isn't true, i've skipped through his convo a few times and he's still joined me at the end.

Trying to use all the melee weapons at the moment, I need to use 49 more according to my list.

I still need to win a round of bounty hunter on TIR as well, I almost did it the other day but one of the other players was a crackshot and kept hitting the bonus the second it came up, thrashed his arse on stand up zomedy in the next round which I needed tho.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't hate TiR, I find it to be a mildly amusing distraction, but in the end I probably won't spend more than a few hours playing it. At least it's a decent way to rack up cash.

If they put a little more effort into it, it might have been pretty cool. I like the concept of a gorey, zombie-based Mario Party game.

Daigoro

Same here. It would be one thing if i found it enjoyable in any way, but i dont at all.

I wouldnt mind grinding it if it were fun. Sadly it is not.

Sucks. You do get good cash from it though. But id rather grind that out in the main game.

Top Bottom