• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

Aselith

sillymonkey321 said:
I mainly just used a bat + nails as my "zombie clearing weapon" to make room out of buildings for survivors and kept a good weapon like the wolverine claws you mentioned for bosses, later on i kept a shotgun or two along with a juice mix for bosses.

MMA gloves are far superior weapons and just as easily accessible. They last a lot longer too.

KibblesBits said:
Did you have to do ranked mode for TK's favorite?

Yeah must be ranked otherwise it doesn't count, I wrote down which games I had beaten (you must finish slicecycles and save for it to register that you have won whichever games) the second I won at headhunter the trophy came up so I just quit.

Also if your tied with someone it still classes it that you won the game.

I was terrible when I started playing TIR a few days ago, now I win nearly every match without fail, so there's hope for everyone!

Jaroof said:
Man... the chef knife's secondary attack never gets old :lol

Is that the new animation from the Psycho pack?

What bonus does the Psycho pack give? I have the ninja pack so when im doing my survivor run today im going to use 1 bit of the ninja outfit and one part of the psycho outfit for both abilities.

clockpunk

kyo_daikun said:

What bonus does the Psycho pack give? I have the ninja pack so when im doing my survivor run today im going to use 1 bit of the ninja outfit and one part of the psycho outfit for both abilities.

It lets you soak up a bit more damage - each attack won't necessarily take away a life bar.

Ridley327

Speaking of, the actual pack itself works fine on the PC now. The free pack for co-op was still being a bastard, so keep that in mind.

The costume looks really nice.

Aselith said:
MMA gloves are far superior weapons and just as easily accessible. They last a lot longer too.

It depends, they have a shorter range, seem a bit slower, and it looked like they did less damage, but they do have a great combo. I really couldn't use the MMA gloves on psychopaths, the knife gloves were just far more efficient. I liked the MMA gloves better for zombies though.

I'm hoping they release the costume packs in a discount bundle, it's the only way I'll get them. Can't wait for Case: West.

Knife gloves are still my fave. Boxing gloves from the shop next to the safe room exit and a knife from any appropriately equipped zombie. Job done... and those things carve through psychos like butter.

peetfeet

Psychotext said:
Knife gloves are still my fave. Boxing gloves from the shop next to the safe room exit and a knife from any appropriately equipped zombie. Job done... and those things carve through psychos like butter.
No need to find a zombie, just climb on the roof of the newstand opposite the gloves ;)

onken

Aigis said:
Man the
super zombies
really are quite shitty. They were fine in the last bits of the game, but they make
Overtime
a chore.

Yeah I agree, it would have been better if
overtime went back to just regular zombies

Ridley327

Yep; you can download them in-game (although you have to restart the game in order for the DLC to show up in your game for some weird reason) or through the Marketplace launcher.

OVERTIME mode
was pretty disappointing.
Not the final battle, that was awesome. The rest of it should've been fleshed out more.

IMO, they should've kept the
underground lab and whole gas plot for overtime

Kurtofan

theMrCravens said:
OVERTIME mode
was pretty disappointing.
Not the final battle, that was awesome. The rest of it should've been fleshed out more.

IMO, they should've kept the
underground lab and whole gas plot for overtime
I didn't understand why you needed to bring
champagne and food to TK seriously

I have to agree things tailed off quite dramatically towards the end. The penultimate boss is a horrible slog that's only there as a nod to what was one of the worst bits of the first game, and the final boss is equally annoying with its sudden changing of the rules and distant save point.

Overtime was a lot more interesting in the first game as it presented a completely new way of playing the game and new rules to survive, but in DR2 it just seemed an artificial attempt at stretching things out a bit longer so the tedious "this game better be 15 hours long!!" crowd get their non-fun money's worth. As has already been said the final fetch quest seemed completely inexplicable (
the photo is apparently of TK, so I assume he's covering his tracks and removing anything damaging to him, but even then it's never mentioned again and some of items are just peculiar - why a microphone/headset!?
) and the game sadly sort of wheezes to an exhausted halt compared to the triumphant way it begins.

Double D

Any noob advice? Barely played DR1, so this is pretty much all new to me. I started last night and got through the 1-4 case file and saved a few survivors. I'm only at level 5 at this point, and I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going through too fast without grinding enough. Should I bail on Katey and the case files? Can I still effectively 'beat the game' and just get a crappy ending this way? Anyways, I'm open to all kinds of advice.

Edit: Do I always have to carry a magazine to get it's perks? Or can I read it and drop it?

Plissken

Vik_Vaughn said:
Any noob advice? Barely played DR1, so this is pretty much all new to me. I started last night and got through the 1-4 case file and saved a few survivors. I'm only at level 5 at this point, and I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going through too fast without grinding enough. Should I bail on Katey and the case files? Can I still effectively 'beat the game' and just get a crappy ending this way? Anyways, I'm open to all kinds of advice.

Edit: Do I always have to carry a magazine to get it's perks? Or can I read it and drop it?

You can completely ignore all objectives, and still play the 72 hours out. In fact, I would recommend your first playthrough you ignore the case files and just keep giving Katey Zombrex, use the time to learn the map and rescue survivors.

Magazines need to be in your inventory to get their bonus, so until you get more space, the only one I would recommend keeping is the Leadership magazine.

jkanownik

sillymonkey321 said:
I finished the game today, though i gave up on overtime and just watched the final final cut scene on youtube. I want to love Dead Rising 2 but i can't. It feels, to me and a lot of other people apparently, that Dead Rising 2 is a mirage of fun. My major complaint with the series for now is the weapons.

1. Weapons break frequently.

2. A heavy emphasis about this game is the ability to craft weapons.

Now, one might say " what's the point of weapon fetching if it's just going to break in a minute"

And to that i say: I'm glad i sold my copy of the game. I'm playing the game wrong. 95% of the time i'm running past zombies because killing them is just a chore. "

You're not playing it wrong, you're just looking at it the wrong way. In most games you can experience all of the content available in a single playthrough. You can't do that with Dead Rising, so Dead Rising "the game" isn't about a single playthrough. Once you free yourself of a single playthrough mindset and set specific goals for each playthrough it becomes a lot more fun.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Any noob advice? Barely played DR1, so this is pretty much all new to me. I started last night and got through the 1-4 case file and saved a few survivors. I'm only at level 5 at this point, and I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going through too fast without grinding enough.

As people have already said, try playing it how is most fun for you. I'd personally say concentrate on the the case missions, and consider everything else secondary. If you can save people or kill psychos, great, if you can't, ignore them. If you're really finding it that hard then it might be worth starting again and just exploring and messing around for a couple of hours. Then you can just kill yourself and start a "proper" run with the added levels and knowledge. You don't have to play through to the end that way - but you certainly can if you're enjoying it. There's no right or wrong.

Jaroof

kyo_daikun said:

No, the animation's always been there.. since Case Zero :p
No extra costume necessary. Try it out!

Aaron

Grimm Fandango said:
Man Capcom really fucked up the wireless 360 controller on the PC version. And from their emails, it sounds like they won't even try to fix it. Bravo.
The fix for it takes ten minutes and works fine. I'm much more pissed by the lack of extra modes and the DLC bullshit.

Aaron

leng jai said:
I can't get the fix to work at all. FML
Get the program and the pre-set .ini file. You might need a specific version. I don't remember which it was, but it was mentioned on the steam forum. Create the file using the program in the DR2 directory, and then open up both .ini files, pasting the button setups from the original .ini file into the one you just made. Should work fine.

Aaron said:
The fix for it takes ten minutes and works fine. I'm much more pissed by the lack of extra modes and the DLC bullshit.

Wait there's no kind of infinite survivor mode when you beat the game? Fuuuuuuuccccckkkk.

leng jai said:
I can't get the fix to work at all. FML

I followed these instructions and got it to work just fine. The guide button doesn't work but not a big deal IMO.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17555318&postcount=40

Just after the start of the game when i save Chuck' s girl and take her off the place, when it starts loading it always freezes. Tried 4 times, nothing changed. What might be the problem? Anyone had the same problem? Also disc has no scratches or anything and its a promo disc. I have to start making the review and this shit happens just at the start of the game :D

Jeff Stephen said:
So it seems no one plays TIR. :lol
I've been searching for a game for the past 10m or so with no luck.

Yep, struggled to find games when I was looking, the only time there are people on is when all the americans are on (which is after midnight in the UK)

Gigglepoo

So I don't ever pimp my site, but we did a podcast interview with the senior producer of DR2 earlier this week and I thought it turned out really well.

If you're interested

He dropped a few bombs which were pretty awesome. Here's my favorite: (I'll spoiler it in case people want to hear the producer describe it)

The coffee is the truth. Throughout the game, Chuck has a cup of coffee in cutscenes that he often brings to his mouth, but never actually has a chance to drink. The truth is close, but just out of reach. It's not until you're almost at the end that Chuck actually takes a gulp. It's a little thing, but I thought it was really interesting. You don't see this sort of literary technique in games very often.

Also

They initially had zombies pushing zombies in wheelchairs, but it was cut because it implied some sort of human relationship. So great!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Joe Prodigy said:
I'm guessing a theme park/carnival.

That could definitely work (zombies on rollercoasters :lol), but I'm not sure how they'd bring in the
Phenotrans
plotline (assuming that it doesn't get resolved entirely (doubtful) in Case West).

Would be interesting to see a female protagonist, though I think Capcom loves their boob shots too much for this to happen (the Chang cutscenes were shameless :lol)

Gigglepoo said:
So I don't ever pimp my site, but we did a podcast interview with the senior producer of DR2 earlier this week and I thought it turned out really well.

I'll have to listen to that - totally didn't catch the
coffee
bit.

the chris

Gigglepoo said:

Cool, stopped listening once the spoiler disclaimer came up, but I will listen to it again once I finish the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
On my third playthrough, I'm finally at 6-1 of the case files. So far they've been pretty easy since I'm over level 40. It's almost impossible to die if I carry a couple healing items. I might need a break once I finish this playthrough since I've played this game almost every night for the last two weeks.
It's not often that I get so hooked on a game, well done Blue Castle.

Jaroof

Gigglepoo said:

If you're interested

He dropped a few bombs which were pretty awesome. Here's my favorite: (I'll spoiler it in case people want to hear the producer describe it)

The coffee is the truth. Throughout the game, Chuck has a cup of coffee in cutscenes that he often brings to his mouth, but never actually has a chance to drink. The truth is close, but just out of reach. It's not until you're almost at the end that Chuck actually takes a gulp. It's a little thing, but I thought it was really interesting. You don't see this sort of literary technique in games very often.

Also

They initially had zombies pushing zombies in wheelchairs, but it was cut because it implied some sort of human relationship. So great!

Wow :O that's pretty cool. I didn't even realize until now.
I'll have to check this interview out.

One of the outfits shown in the launch trailer was Chuck in a
normal white, short sleeve shirt with a black tie and black pants, kind of like what Shaun wore in Shaun of the Dead (minus the red tie).
Anyone know where to find it? I've looked everywhere.

Edit: Got it! Spoiler tags added just in case anyone considers outfits spoilers.

quickwhips

bucknuticus said:
Sorry if this has been posted didnt read all the thread, but did they fix co-op yet where it kicks you everytime you save?

If the host saves its fine. If the person joining tries to save in the bathroom it kicks you out.

bunbun777

Speaking of technique and symbolism-- (just my opinion)
Sullivan seems to portray Odin/Yahweh somewhat with his overtones of what is the greater good. He stands on a man made platform and when he attempts an exit it is going up. TK on the other hand would be the Loki/Satan character (that cattle prong and smile is what made me start thinking of this... and his fight involves trying to lower others into a 'pit' of zombies, also when he is defeated he falls himself-

Kurtofan

bunbun777 said:
Speaking of technique and symbolism-- (just my opinion)
Sullivan seems to portray Odin/Yahweh somewhat with his overtones of what is the greater good. He stands on a man made platform and when he attempts an exit it is going up. TK on the other hand would be the Loki/Satan character (that cattle prong and smile is what made me start thinking of this... and his fight involves trying to lower others into a 'pit' of zombies, also when he is defeated he falls himself-
Man this isn't a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Top Bottom