• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2: Severed |OT| The Necro Gangbang Continues

Finished up all the trophies (+ the Zealot trophy for the main game, so that's me at 100%). I echo a lot of what's been said about this ultimately being dissapointing, too short, too much recycling, no NG+, no Zero-G, very truncated character development.

It's not the worst single-player DLC that I've played, but then again other games have put out considerably more impressive additional content. Maybe it's because the universe of Dead Space is so ripe for expansion (as evidenced by the numerous game and non-game spinoffs) that dropping the ball so much within the context of the main game feels more like a missed oppurtunity.

Played through this last night, not got anything to add that hasn't been said already. It was alright. Get it if you're desperate for more DS2 but if like me you'd already played DS2 to death recently it's probably better to wait a while to minimize that been there, done that feeling.

I finished the DLC after an hour. But I've to say I like it? It's a good DLC in my opinion. Okay with some aspect I have to agree with you guys. A lot of reused area etc. But I'm much more disappointed about that there is no Logs.
After Gabe found out that his purpose is done, I would like to know more about it. But maybe it will play a major role in DS3

Roscoe

Neo Member
Played through it today after finishing Hard Core. For the price of admission I was satisfied with this PDLC. A lot of people saying it should have been 5 dollars? Like $2 more is some backbreaking sum?

I think Severed works as proof of concept that DS2 can sustain single player add on content/short stories until DS3. The team at Visceral did an amazing job with the engine and tech in DS2, and it would be shame to mothball it .

As someone who didn't play Extraction I still found the story entertaining and compelling.
Loved the opening homage to Aliens with the rig status bars
. Gabe seemed like a decent enough guy, and his rig design was awesome.
I was intrigued by the new info dumps regarding the universe ala the Oracle project, and the men in white. Also the ending was powerful as hell. I was very sad to see Gabe go, and I felt for his wife as well. There were other nice touches like the opening rig conversation with that cunt doctor. Can anyone confirm the necros get her?

Looks like I'm in the minority but I appreciated the reuse of certain areas from the game. It was interesting to see an area before Isaac's arrival and one after his departure.

Overall if you enjoy the gameplay in DS2 along with the universe, I'd check out Severed.

robot

Finished it tonight in one sitting and loved it. Really hope they release more of these, I'd probably play em all.

I didn't mind revisiting previous areas either. Cool seeing the before and after. Was hoping to cross paths with Issac, but would've made no sense. This was the first time i played using the detonator mines, so I was setting up traps everywhere. Really interesting way to play. Kinda nerve racking too.

Had a weird bug that removed my flame thrower from my weapon slot after I died and had to purchase it again. And another in the small hallway of traps. I left to get a body to throw around in there and when I went back, all the traps were gone.

Wasn't expecting to enjoy the DLC as much as I did.

I didn't like it initially but once I started to get a feel for the direction I was taking back into the Sprawl and places became more and more familiar, I started to dig it.

The encounters with the necromorphs seemed a bit more creative as well and I particularly enjoyed the final sequence.

I also liked the "deepening" of the story with the Unitologists. I got a whole
"Two by two, hands of blue."
vibe like Firefly from it.

I really enjoy seeing the levels from a different perspective and I definitely would buy more DLC involving other people/survivors from the Sprawl.

Thanks Visceral. You guys rock. More please.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
betty swollocks said:
Wow my memory. I played the entire dlc thinking Gabe = Mcneail.

In extraction, there's even a line where Gabe says he didn't want to split the love birds up (NcNeil and Lex) when the fat boy unitologist asks why Gabe picked him.

Doesn't make sense after the relationship building in that game for Lex and McNeil not to be together or even mentioned. Odd.

Well, I guess Lexine likes her men
with both hands
. :D

I didn't get the impression there was any sort of love affair between McNeil and Lexine tho.

Draft

This DLC reeks of laziness. A reskinned sniper rifle does not count as a new weapon, a reskinned necromorph does not count as a new enemy, and the cop suit with a new mask is barely a new outfit. Using existing levels is abject sloth.

Old school PC Gaming had a lot of great DLC, back when it was called expansion packs. But even the shittiest xpacs, the ones made by jobber studios, brought some genuine new stuff to the table. In action games specifically there'd at least be a few brand new weapons and enemies. You got something for your money.

Playing through existing maps backwards is something you unlock by beating the game, not dropping an extra $7.

I wasn't feeling the bad guy's VO, either. He sounded like a manager who felt bad about asking you to work on Saturdays instead of a manager trying to murder your wife.

Anyone know if you have to redeem the EA pass to be able to play this? I let my friend who borrowed DS2 use the pass as I could have cared less about mp.

Grisby

Beat it last night after getting it on the XBL sale a few weeks back.

Only took an hour and a half to beat. The entire journey was a retread of old areas as well. The story was alright but god help anyone going in without playing Extraction as there is little to none setup for Gabe and Lexine.

I though the
oracle and men in suits deal
was interesting and the ending was a bit sad, although I didn't care for Gabe in Extraction at all so the closing event didn't impact me that much.

I would have been pissed paying full backs for this. All I can say is that Severed was just eh'.

Top Bottom