• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2: Severed |OT| The Necro Gangbang Continues

Nemesis_

I thought the ending was very powerful and unlike anything I had played in a video game before. I really enjoyed it.

Though I understand your concerns, Replicant.

WickedLaharl said:
no new game+, rehashed areas, and only an hour long make this a tough sell @ $7.

Wait. This is only an hour long? I thought it was like a four to five hour DLC for some reason. Guess I won't be picking this up then.

Alucrid

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe it's cause Gabe's just ruggedly handsome and British.

Or Gabe
comes back from the dead with a bionic leg and is like, "Sup bitches." But yeah, I liked that ending, but I was sad to see Gabe go since he had the most badass suit, liked his VA and he had nice hair. When he got his leg blown off I was like, "Oh fuck..."

Replicant

Nemesis556 said:
I thought the ending was very powerful and unlike anything I had played in a video game before. I really enjoyed it.

Though I understand your concerns, Replicant.
Oh, I thought the ending was powerful too. But I just feel ending that powerful should not be in a short DLC story like this. It should be a part of a bigger game. So we, the players, have better context of the characters and their interpersonal relationship.

SafeinSound said:
Wait. This is only an hour long? I thought it was like a four to five hour DLC for some reason. Guess I won't be picking this up then.

It'd be around that time if you try to earn the trophies, play harder difficulties, etc. For the record, I tried for the best possible result in my playthrough and it took me 2 hours to complete.

gdt

SafeinSound said:

It's more like an hour and a half. Well worth it, for me at least.

Really like it.

And damn! What an ending.

Hey guys, you know how EA said that the PS3 standard limited edition was going to be limited? Well, it turns out those copies aren't so limited after all (then again, 'limited' isn't a definitive amount).

The last two shipments of the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 at my local stores are all the limited editions. So, if there are any Xbox 360-only owners willing to make the jump to owning a PS3 due to this year's Major Nelson announcements, you still have a shot at picking one of these babies up for the same retail price as an Xbox 360 version. Walmart is still selling them at the $54.96 pricetag, too.

Nemesis_

Replicant said:
Oh, I thought the ending was powerful too. But I just feel ending that powerful should not be in a short DLC story like this. It should be a part of a bigger game. So we, the players, have better context of the characters and their interpersonal relationship.

It'd be around that time if you try to earn the trophies, play harder difficulties, etc. For the record, I tried for the best possible result in my playthrough and it took me 2 hours to complete.

That's fair enough, though I like the fact they're not "dumming" the DLC down just because it's DLC. It's something that feels substantial and worth it.

I hate single player DLC that's just more of the same and doesn't add anything overall.

That's how I feel, at least.

Replicant

Nemesis556 said:
That's fair enough, though I like the fact they're not "dumming" the DLC down just because it's DLC. It's something that feels substantial and worth it.

I hate single player DLC that's just more of the same and doesn't add anything overall.

That's how I feel, at least.

I think this DLC would have been perfect if they:

* Have a prologue explaining what happened after Extraction.
* In that prologue, shows us
how Gabe and Lexine ends up together. Don't just show them smack bang in the middle of Necro outbreak and pregnancy test respectively.
* Make the game longer by 2 more hours and add some more personal interactions between the two characters so we know there's a lot of history between them.

Alucrid said:
Oh yeah. Is there any way to get Gabe's suit in the main game or no?

Not sure. I haven't gone back to Isaac's campaign. But strangely, Isaac's upgraded weapons from my Hardcore 1st save playthrough showed up here as upgraded as it was when I used them for Isaac in Hardcore. I mowed down the Twitcher using my upgraded Zealot Force Gun? And during the final few steps, I just alt-fired everything with Contact Beam (which already reached its SPEC node). HAHAHA.

AEREC

It actually would have been kinda cool if Visceral had fleshed this story out some more and made it episodic...maybe 6.99 for each 2 hour segment with a total of 3 or 4...I like the idea of seeing what other characters go through during the events of the sprawl.

Anyways, how does hardcore mode work in severed (if at all)...I haven't finished it yet so I just wondering if you have to go through the DLC without any saves.

Frester

Replicant said:

I played through it twice (normal, zealot) and got all the achievements and it only took about 2.5 hours.

AlStrong

Alucrid said:
Oh yeah. Is there any way to get Gabe's suit in the main game or no?

Both the suit and the special seeker rifle show up in the store once you finish the DLC. They're free. You will have to upgrade the seeker rifle again from what I can tell.

Alucrid

Banned
AlStrong said:
Both the suit and the special seeker rifle show up in the store once you finish the DLC. They're free. You will have to upgrade the seeker rifle again from what I can tell.

Great. Is the suit like all the other special suits? Aka, it gives you the max number of item slots that you've upgraded to?

Replicant

Frester said:
I played through it twice (normal, zealot) and got all the achievements and it only took about 2.5 hours.

Did you try for the most amount of loot you can get though? Because re-playing the games from check points again and again to get the best loots will take you at least 2 hours on normal. Also, it'd be faster if you run through everything instead of going through every single crevices/corners of the game, checking/re-checking, trying to find some loot/files.

Replicant

Alucrid said:
Great. Is the suit like all the other special suits? Aka, it gives you the max number of item slots that you've upgraded to?

It's not as awesome as Isaac's Elite Advance Suit. Unlike that suit, this one can only fit 15 items and only has 15% additional armor plus additional percentage on selected weapons (pulse rifle, for example). But I guess if you're using it for Hardcore run then yeah, it's good. Because I don't think you can use Elite Advance Suit in Hardcore until you finish Hardcore.

AlStrong

Alucrid said:

Yup. It'll only be the bonuses that you'll worry about.

badcrumble said:
I thought it does have new game+?

Pretty sure it doesn't - no pop-up to let you save at the end of it. This was really disappointing because I figured I could justify $7 with NG+. I suppose I might be able to use the armour and weapon for a hardcore run in the normal game, but eh... they're not that great.

:/

*sigh*

brandonh83 said:
No. You're supporting good horror.

nop. I think he's supporting crappy business practices.

Won't jump in on this :/ the impressions that I have heard don't really compel me to.

I liked Dead Space 2, but the story was just... meh. So if the DLC is story driven, really no real reason to buy it.

Alucrid said:
DLC detonator is free in the store. So: fire out all of its Detonator rounds, pick them up with TK and put them into your inventory, sell the empty detonator back to the store, re-buy it and it'll have full ammo. Rinse and repeat, and sell the ammunition whenever your inventory fills up.

Alucrid

Banned
badcrumble said:
DLC detonator is free in the store. So: fire out all of its Detonator rounds, pick them up with TK and put them into your inventory, sell the empty detonator back to the store, re-buy it and it'll have full ammo. Rinse and repeat, and sell the ammunition whenever your inventory fills up.

Oh my god. That's genius. :lol

Frester

Replicant said:
Did you try for the most amount of loot you can get though? Because re-playing the games from check points again and again to get the best loots will take you at least 2 hours on normal. Also, it'd be faster if you run through everything instead of going through every single crevices/corners of the game, checking/re-checking, trying to find some loot/files.

Yeah, I've been pretty thorough in every playthrough of the DS2 campaign and the Severed DLC. Hell, I did 2 normal playthroughs before my zealot run and had about 700,000 credits the whole time on zealot and still make sure to search out every little item, even if it was a schematic I didn't need.

Replicant said:

You make a very good point here. I really enjoyed Severed for what it was, but more depth and length would have been definitely for the better.

Just finished it. Can't say I'm overly impressed; the ending was the only significant thing in regards to the story, and it was undermined completely by the fact that as people have already said, Gabe and Lexine weren't characterised well at all in this. We're just told that they're now a couple, and Lexine is pregnant. If this had done them as much justice as Extraction did (which I still think has much better characterisation than any other game in the series), the ending would have been better, but as it stands, all the ending did was
rob us of a great character in the Dead Space universe.

As for the gameplay, it was far too simple. No Zero-G sections, no interesting set pieces, and next to nothing in the way of new areas (you're just going through rooms that you saw in Dead Space 2, but in reverse).

It's not bad, by any means, but I actually think this should have been 400 points. But maybe Dead Rising 2: Case Zero has spoilt me and set a precedent. 560 points isn't a rip-off by any means, but considering the short length, the lack of anything new, and the incredibly weak story, it's not the bargain it first appears to be.

badcrumble said:

That's awesome. That will be a HUGE help for a Hardcore run, as it means you have infinite money, which means you can get all the Power Nodes, health kits, ammo, etc, you want.

Does this trick still work, by the way? They haven't patched it out?

Also, what do you get in each DLC pack? For some reason, the store doesn't actually say.

Scarecrow

Next DLC they do I want them to do an entirely different scenario. Like, maybe you'd play as one of the random citizens of the Sprawl (or better yet, the [now] one armed survivor from Extraction) trying to escape, but you can't use any offensive weapons. You're limited to stasis and TK only. Take some cues from Amnesia where it's better to run from enemies.

Maybe you're playing as Ellie. As you make your way through the city with her crew, they slowly get picked off one by one, as they don't have weapons. The climax would be Ellie finding her Plasma Cutter and holding out against the wave of slashers in the mall where you first meet her in the main game.

jackdoe

Scarecrow said:
Maybe you're playing as Ellie. As you make your way through the city with her crew, they slowly get picked off one by one, as they don't have weapons. The climax would be Ellie finding her Plasma Cutter and holding out against the wave of slashers in the mall where you first meet her in the main game.
Ellie became one of my favorite characters in Dead Space 2 after she
Gets her eye gouged out and still manages to spout off a one liner.

BeeDog

It was way too short, but overall it was decent. Cool ending.

The trophy that relates to the quarry platform, how do you get it? And how should one get the grinder trophy?

Replicant

BeeDog said:
The trophy that relates to the quarry platform, how do you get it? And how should one get the grinder trophy?

Quarry:
Let yourself get gangbanged by Necros in the middle of the platform instead of running off to a safe corner of the area where you can kill them off easily one by one. Bring Zealot Force Gun if you want to make your life easier and laugh at them as they are blown to pieces.

Grinder:
Get yourself a Force Gun. Run to the back of the grinder to trigger the first bomb Necro. When he arrives, stasis him. Run back to the front. There should be LOTS of kid Necros and another bomb Necro. Stasis them then blow them using Force Gun into the Grinder. Don't use Zealot Force Gun. It's too strong and will just kill them instantly. So use the normal Force Gun and maybe aim for the bomb Necro into the grinder (2-3 shots should do it).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
An easy way to do the Grinder one is to stasis one of the pack close to the grinder and simply push him in (by just running into it).

RisingZan

Neo Member
Scarecrow said:
Next DLC they do I want them to do an entirely different scenario. Like, maybe you'd play as one of the random citizens of the Sprawl (or better yet, the [now] one armed survivor from Extraction) trying to escape, but you can't use any offensive weapons. You're limited to stasis and TK only. Take some cues from Amnesia where it's better to run from enemies.

This a change up I'd like to see. A situation so different from the standard Dead Space gameplay makes DLC so appropriate for this approach. While I wouldn't want outright stealth, I do think slipping past other Sprawl citizens being attacked, and sweating it out in an apartment while a necro horde passes by, could be far more tense than the main game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're interested in the dlc, know three things

•Reuses levels(practically ALL of them)
•super short
•AWFUL lightning. Like... Doom 3 bad. You have to almost always be in aim mode to see diddly. Which sucks, because DS had great lightning, only a few times could you not see and they were short

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't think this was worth $7. I'm more ticked off that it just reuses areas about 85% of the DLC

Wallachia said:
is that 85% claim really true??

It is. Which was dissapointing, even for it's slightly lower price.

There may be a kind of joke in the DLC though:

there is a gunship only two rooms away from where you start as Isaac :p

Oh, and the 'still alive' guy is in the Kinesis chamber. Poor bastard.

Mr_eX

I don't think Severed was terrible but it would have been nice if it was twice as long. I hope there is more single player DLC in the future.

hxcmuziq

Banned
Visceral really dropped the ball on this one. Talk about premature ejaculation! Should have charged $5. Made 4 of those with a nice little cliffhanger at the end of every one, built the story up, made you give a shit about the characters before pushing an ending like that.

daffy

Banned
Can someone summarize, or explain in great detail whichever, the ending of this DLC?

DS2 left a bad taste in my mouth so I got rid of it, but I do want to keep up with the storyline for DS3. I played Extraction as well but it was really forgettable and I can't remember most of it, but I remember the major parts.

Thank you to anyone who will do this. Oh and don't forget to spoiler tag it heh.

The entire purpose of this DLC was to (spoiler)
kill off a great protagonist... oh and to make Lexine pregnant I guess, there'll probably be something to do with that later in the series.

daffy

Banned
Ah thank you both. Dickwad youtube commentator talking through every moment was expected, I thought the ending was some kind of long scene or something heh.

Well glad I got that out of the way.

Replicant

Who was it that said Isaac can't use Gabe's suit in the main game? It's not true. I just tried it and the suit is available to Isaac in the main game. I've completed the Zealot part of the DLC though so maybe that's how you get it?

Didn't do it for me. It felt like one of those old PC add ons you used to get for games. It was lazy to use the exact same areas from Dead Space 2. The story was incredibly short and the ending didn't have much impact because we weren't given enough time with the characters.

I will say though that there were two cool setpieces
airship battle & ending sequence
and the gameplay was as fun as ever.

I think if it wasn't for the price I would be happy with this, but at nearly £6.00 it's a bit steep for what it is. Did make me want to start that new game + on DS2 though.

Wow my memory. I played the entire dlc thinking Gabe = Mcneail.

In extraction, there's even a line where Gabe says he didn't want to split the love birds up (NcNeil and Lex) when the fat boy unitologist asks why Gabe picked him.

Doesn't make sense after the relationship building in that game for Lex and McNeil not to be together or even mentioned. Odd.

Top Bottom