• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2: Severed |OT| The Necro Gangbang Continues

luxarific said:
Also, adding new upgrade nodes to your rig in Severed no longer restores your health as it did in the main game. Not sure if this is something Severed limits, or if it's the new patch which I downloaded and applied before beginning the DLC.

lol, if you think about it, this makes sense. Gabe's a security officer, not an engineer like Isaac... he's not as good at it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
lol, if you think about it, this makes sense. Gabe's a security officer, not an engineer like Isaac... he's not as good at it.

It does, although there's something cool he does at the
very beginning in his conversation with Lexine. Being a cop has it's privileges. :D

But the more I think about this, the more I think I'm wrong and I just didn't confirm that I wanted to apply the node. I don't remember seeing the confirmation message and I highly doubt that Visceral took that out. Sorry, everyone. ._.;;;;

hiryu

I don't understand complaints about the price. You paying less per chapter than the normal game. I think it's cheap myself.

I'm sitting on 1300 points...Undecided if I want to download this or save it for a big 1200 point game or DLC when one I want drops.

Scarecrow

Was alright. Most of the game, I'd say 70-80%, takes place in old areas, so that was disappointing. I was hoping they would try to be more experimental with it, try out some new ideas. But it's just more Dead Space and a small new story. About an hour and a half at the most. Much quicker if you don't search every corner.

The ending was the best part. Very touching.

RisingZan

Neo Member
Agreed. Revisiting old grounds was a little disappointing, though I did like
that you visit Titan Mines before Issac's arrival and the hospital after he leaves
. Still, I think the price is totally reasonable and I love this series so darn much.

Aeon712 said:
I'm getting it in hopes
I get to kill the ubermorph

Is that the
regenerator? If that is the case you can kill it in the original Dead Space 2. Right before the marker when you seal him off completely you can knock him into a large fan system.

Deadly

SenorDingDong said:
Is that the
regenerator? If that is the case you can kill it in the original Dead Space 2. Right before the marker when you seal him off completely you can knock him into a large fan system.
I knew that room had to serve some kind of purpose!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The dlc is very disappointing. The majority is spent revisiting known areas, although I must say
seeing the guy on the table in the plasma cutter room still alive
made me chuckle.

Replicant

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm still waiting for it to hit the PSN store. Still not up.

It's up now via Search. 1.6 GB (yeah, bigger than the Xbox version).

11bkv2h.jpg

I quite liked it. 1,5 hours of gameplay for that little money is a good deal to me. There are some nice beats in it and to me it's worth it for the excellent finale alone.

how is playing online these days?

are people still idiots and just do team deathmatch instead of doing the objective?

Though doing all the objectives by myself that one time was awesome , everyone was like "wtf you doing , we want to kill each other" after the game was over haha.

might look into getting the DLC.

Just finished. Awesome little story.

Though that ending was kind of a downer... Gabe was a pretty awesome character, but at least his final few minutes were badass and touching at the same time. I'm a bit sad right now :( So I wonder what will happen to Lexine now... along with Isaac and Ellie, Lex is also a fugitive. Plus, she's pregnant!? Also, those dudes in white suits... those have definitely gotta be the Oracles from Salvage (well not the same ones), part of Teidmann's mystery employers.

Also, this was a pretty messed up moment... when you reach the room where Isaac gets his Kinesis, you come across a guy whose been cut in half shortly before he dies... did Isaac leave him there to die without realizing it? That was kinda fucked up. Also, Vic was a total douche. You could see how hard Gabe was punching him, his RIG went to down so far, haha

Replicant

Yelp. I can't play until I go home tonight but I couldn't help reading the spoiler anyway. Also can anyone please tell me if they explain what happened to Nate McNeill?

And yikes, does that mean that
Isaac is the true and only survivor of the original Aegis 7/Ishimura incident? What a badass. But sad too. We don't have many survivors left from the original game now

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Also, this was a pretty messed up moment... when you reach the room where Isaac gets his Kinesis, you come across a guy whose been cut in half shortly before he dies... did Isaac leave him there to die without realizing it? That was kinda fucked up. Also, Vic was a total douche. You could see how hard Gabe was punching him, his RIG went to down so far, haha

What?
I thought that guy is already dead. He was decapitated by the Necro in Isaac's story.

Replicant said:
Yelp. I can't play until I go home tonight but I couldn't help reading the spoiler anyway. Also can anyone please tell me if they explain what happened to Nate McNeill?

And yikes, does that mean that
Isaac is the true and only survivor of the original Aegis 7/Ishimura incident? What a badass. But sad too. We don't have many survivors left from the original game now

What?
I thought that guy is already dead. He was decapitated by the Necro in Isaac's story.

McNeil isn't mentioned, so either he's dead or simply not there, so there's hope in that regard. There's still Lexine (with child) so yeah, there are two survivors of Aegis VII/Ishimura, THOUGH, there is a third survivor who only appears in Salvaged... he and his crew come upon the Ishimura after Isaac leaves, and he's the only one to escape... his name is Stefan Schneider.

So there are to date four DS Protagonists alive for sure: Isaac Clarke, Ellie Langford, Stefan Schneider, and Lexine Murdoch-Weller.

Though I think you're right, the guy split in half must be someone else. I remember the Kinesis surgical room having a guy who falls when Isaac rips out the Kinesis module, but I think his throat was already cut.

Mazre

Also can anyone please tell me if they explain what happened to Nate McNeill?

He isn't mentioned at all =(.

Just finished. About 1.5 hours duration as the others have noted. Enjoyed it well enough for what it was, though I was hoping for some more Extraction closure and a some more DS2 amplifying info. Visceral really likes to tease us. Also don't look at the new trophies until you finish the DLC, spoilers abound.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ok, just finished. Took me a little over two hours, but I go pretty slow and I suck, so those of you who thought hardcore was easy in DS2 or who played zealot on your first run through the main game will probably find this easy.

Re the rig upgrades: you only get restored health when you upgrade a rig node that specifically increases your health. I.e., the in-between node slots don't increase your health when you add a node to them. I can't remember if that was the case in the main game pre-patch or not.

What I liked
-a lot of jump scares (what can I say, they make me jump) - seemed like more than the main game, but I might be recalling this incorrectly;
-vibrating necro was scary and less annoying than unkillable necro and made for a satisfying kill;
-no unkillable necro :p
-for some people this will be a minus, but I actually liked revisiting areas from the main game "post-Issac". I particularly liked the reception area in the hospital, where the balloons had lost some helium. Poor balloons.
-slightly more story revealed, though more on that in my list of cons;
-interaction, however slight, with some poor schmucks who were in the process of dying (that poor guy in the kinesis room with the rods *shudder);
-different experience from being an engineer (more on that below as well).

What I didn't like
-I really hate when bad guys do exposition in extremely obvious and non-natural ways. E.g., the Colonel's speeches to Gabe about "you were only needed to get her pregnant" and "She's on the list! I'm going to kill her, but I'm going to kill you first" (paraphrasing here, but you know what I mean). And then the Men in White (play on Men in Black?). You could practically see them twirling their invisible mustaches when they were talking about how Gabe was no longer necessary. I'd much rather get exposition via logs and recordings. I can understand why they didn't go this route since Gabe is rushing to save Lexine and the last thing he would do is stop to listen to logs, but eh, it just feels a lot more natural that way. When the people who are trying to kill you "overshare", I always feel like they should finish up their speeches with "mwah, ha, ha, hah!" (Also about the "rushing": did anyone else not follow the Men in White immediately through the door when they were dragging off Lexine? I was like "let's go find Issac's room!" Was a bit sad that I couldn't get there.)
-Lexine is again the damsel in distress. This is a pet peeve, but I really hate when female characters just sit there waiting to be rescued. Yeah, yeah, I know this is Weller's story, really, but it would have been nice if Lexine was a bit more Ellie-ish. Oh well, hopefully the next time we see her, she'll be out for revenge.
-the Peng Treasure was way too easy to find. Which leads in to how much I really missed playing as Issac. I loved the bits in the main game where he's doing his Ubergeek routine and opening stuff up, flipping switches/crawling through vents, etc. Being an engineer >>>> soldier.

To sum up: had fun, would buy again and will buy further single-player DLC day one (although I'm not sure
there's anyone left we could play as).

Wiggum2007

I feel like not having played Extraction kinda hurt this a bit for me, there just wasn't enough time in such a short piece of content for me to form any attachment to the characters.

I cracked up at
"invisible twirling mustaches"
, Lux.

But you have a point regarding the exposition of the story, but I didn't mind it... but when you say it like that, it's actually really funny.

But it's not like those guys come out of nowhere, I'm like 99% sure they're Oracles, they were in Salvage and sorta implied in DS2.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Wiggum2007 said:
I feel like not having played Extraction kinda hurt this a bit for me, there just wasn't enough time in such a short piece of content for me to form any attachment to the characters.

Oh god, yes. To people who haven't played Extraction first, do not play this DLC until you do. It really won't mean much if you don't know who these characters are.

Eh, never mind me, I'm just bitchin'. :D
Natural exposition is really hard to do, and the DLC isn't that long to begin with. I'm not really sure how you could fit in the plot points that we learned in all the speeches without speeches. Maybe if the Men in White dropped a notebook in which they'd written down all their plans or something else extremely stupid. (Although, perhaps Gabe could have intercepted an order or memo meant for the Colonel's eyes only, hmm? *twirls invisible mustache*). One question I did have: are the Men in White called Oracles (haven't purchased Salvage yet)? Or is the plan to get Lexine pregnant called the Oracle Project? Or am I just conflating the two?

Wiggum2007

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I cracked up at
"invisible twirling mustaches"
, Lux.

But you have a point regarding the exposition of the story, but I didn't mind it... but when you say it like that, it's actually really funny.

But it's not like those guys come out of nowhere, I'm like 99% sure they're Oracles, they were in Salvage and sorta implied in DS2.

Yeah those two seemed like intriguing characters and I'm very interested in knowing what's going on with them, but boy did they have some cheesy dialog.

Gribbix

Since the DLC is out now, I figured it's alright to post these. I found these DLC videos in the game files of DS2 when it was first released. They're work-in-progress animations of the ComLink videos and the corresponding MoCap session videos. Don't watch these until you've played the DLC.

WIP Animation 1
MoCap 1
WIP Animation 2
MoCap 2

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Gribbix said:
Since the DLC is out now, I figured it's alright to post these. I found these DLC videos in the game files of DS2 when it was first released. They're work-in-progress animations of the ComLink videos and the corresponding MoCap session videos. Don't watch these until you've played the DLC.

WIP Animation 1
MoCap 1
WIP Animation 2
MoCap 2

Hah, those are fun, thanks. Will never understand how actors do not get the gigglefits anytime they have to do mo-cap scenes. Little dots all over the place.

Scarecrow

Gribbix said:

WIP Animation 1
MoCap 1
WIP Animation 2
MoCap 2
Kinda irks me that the stuff's already on the disk.

Gribbix

Scarecrow said:
Kinda irks me that the stuff's already on the disk.
Those are just WIP video files. There didn't appear to be any actual Severed game assets.

On a separate note, the file names were in the format pdlc1_XXXXX which suggests they may intend to release additional DLC.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Gribbix said:
Those are just WIP video files. There didn't appear to be any actual Severed game assets.

On a separate note, the file names were in the format pdlc1_XXXXX which suggests they may intend to release additional DLC.

*dance* I was going to say there appears to be room for one more slot under Severed in the "New Game" listing.
The Continuing Adventures of Issac and Ellie? Or Lexine's Revenge?

luxarific said:
One question I did have: are the Men in White called Oracles (haven't purchased Salvage yet)? Or is the plan to get Lexine pregnant called the Oracle Project? Or am I just conflating the two?

I'm thinking the entire project (involving Isaac, Stross, and Lexine is called 'The Oracle Project'. There seem to be different phases and sections of it. Plus, Lexine is considered a subject to terminated along with Isaac and Stross, so I'm thinking they're all part of the same project (the patients are not aware of this though).

As for the Men in White, it's heavily implied that they are Oracles, part of the same organization as two characters in Salvage. Maybe it's a part of Unitology, Earthgov, or something separate altogether, I don't know. I'm thinking the Overseer in DS2 is also an Oracle and the Men in White in Severed are following his direct orders (since Teidmann disobeyed him).

Gribbix said:

WIP Animation 1
MoCap 1
WIP Animation 2
MoCap 2

Interesting stuff, thanks for putting it up. Hopefully we get more Dev Diaries and footage of these sessions, always cool to watch.

jediyoshi said:
Lexine Weller? Do not want.

But Severed is awesome?

Replicant

jediyoshi said:
Lexine Weller? Do not want.

It's video game mimicking life where girls usually go for the jerks. Even if she gets along well with the nice guy, it's the rude guy that she goes for. Maybe the developers read girls-age on GAF?

Yeah, I'm being generalizing and everything. Besides, what do I know? I usually go for the jerks too. FML

luxarific said:
*dance* I was going to say there appears to be room for one more slot under Severed in the "New Game" listing.
The Continuing Adventures of Issac and Ellie? Or Lexine's Revenge?

Or
Nate and his new bionic arm. Go, go, go, bionic!

Replicant said:
It's video game mimicking life where girls usually go for the jerks. Even if she gets along well with the nice guy, it's the rude guy that she goes for. Maybe the developers read girls-age on GAF?

Yeah, I'm being generalizing and everything. Besides, what do I know? I usually go for the jerks too. FML

Or

Maybe it's cause Gabe's just ruggedly handsome and British.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
harriet the spy said:
Does it spoil dead space 2 in any fashion? I haven't started 2, is it a game where playing the dlc first could be fun?

Yes, it spoils areas! Do not play the DLC before playing the main game and play Extraction first (or at least watch some youtubes of the cutscenes to familiarize yourself with the characters). (Actually you can do whatever you want, but I think you'll enjoy the DLC far less if you haven't played DS2 first. :D)

Replicant said:
Or

My favorite bit of Extraction. Couldn't actually believe they wanted me
to cut off my own arm the first time around, so I asphyxiated. 127 hours seconds (in space). I'm truly bummed that it appears McNeil didn't make it.

I played through it...I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not. I mean it was nice to see these characters return but they're so underutilized. What story we get isn't really explained. The main villain has the same problem as Tiedmann with not being fleshed out enough.

I guess as a sort of sequel to Extraction, I was expecting a little more interaction between the characters but oh well.

Wiggum2007

Yeah, I think it might've been better if they took a while longer and made it into a bigger expansion, maybe four or five chapters long. The story they were trying to tell just didn't really fit into those two little chapters. That said, I did enjoy the ending, and more Dead Space is always good. I'm glad they threw in a few Dividers, those dudes were way underused in the main game.

Replicant

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe it's cause Gabe's just ruggedly handsome and British.
I thought he's a bit meh-looking. Especially in comparison to new Isaac.

Having said that, I can't believe
Visceral killed one of their main protagonists just for a final action piece. Gabe's death means they now only have Isaac as their main relatable protagonist. And maybe Ellie. Because let's face it, Lexine is pretty useless so far.

Part of the reason why series like Resident Evil is succesful is because they have a large, stable list of likeable main characters. While Isaac is an awesome character which I would love to use again and again, I also would like to see some more protagonists added to the roster of Dead Space main characters.

As for the gameplay, this one is a bit too repetitive but it was still good nevertheless. I did wish they spent more time fleshing out the characters' stories. I don't think we got enough explanation as to what happened after Extraction and Dead Space 2.

Anyway, it was interesting to revisit some of the areas and witness firsthand Isaac's path of destruction. Throughout the whole thing I remembered how much Isaac pretty much trashed the whole place upside down. It also made me miss him because I feel that Isaac is more agile with his movement (Gabe walks like a tank) and has far more interesting personality, history, ability, and experience.

I'm just hoping there's another DLC after this. Maybe with random survivors from the sprawl?

Top Bottom