• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Has the difficulty associated with the difficultly levels changed at all between Dead Space 2 and 3? Is it something like how Halo 2's Normal = Halo 3 on Heroic?

Want to make sure that I don't get a couple hours into the game and find out that I've been on "easy" the whole time.

Jarmel

Banned
Has the difficulty associated with the difficultly levels changed at all between Dead Space 2 and 3? Is it something like how Halo 2's Normal = Halo 3 on Heroic?

Want to make sure that I don't get a couple hours into the game and find out that I've been on "easy" the whole time.

DS3 is easier on Normal, they give you a shit ton of ammo and healthpacks.

Moff

the only complaint I have is the saving system. I just fail to notive when I reached I checkpoint and / or forget when I reched the last one. the saving point system of the first two games was even better than that.

oh and I really hate preorder/limited edition items. why would someone want the best weapons from the beginning in a survival game? or any game at that, but its especially dumb here.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

If you've played through DS1 and DS2, play on Hard (or above). If this is your first time with a DS game, play on Normal.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm playing on hard and I feel the game it's almost as if the game is balanced around hard and not normal, I still have ample amounts of ammo and medkits but I actually have to use the medkits and I have to be conservative with my shots otherwise I'd be running out EVEN though I'm scrounging the environments like a lunatic looking in every nook and cranny for items.

If you've played through DS1 and DS2, play on Hard (or above). If this is your first time with a DS game, play on Normal.

Agree.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nate dying and becoming a necromorph still annoys the heck out of me. I mean yeah, he was armless for that last section of the game but still, it seemed like he would make it. Plus I dont like Gabe.

You should really play Severed then.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
On Chapter 8, need to take a break.

People will fucking HATE Chapter 5 and 6. If you hated the ending of DS2 with the regenerator, you will fucking hate Chapter 6 in particular. So much bullshit. So much. I actually liked the end of DS2 and Chapter 6 has almost soured me on DS3 altogether.

Another thing, sometimes this game will just throw hordes of Necros at you. The higher difficulties are going to be a damn nightmare.

I really hope there's a way to craft a ripper gun at the bench (looks like a buzzsaw). That was the only way I made it through hardcore in DS2, since it makes mobs and regenerators managable.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Clarification needed. Is co-op through the main campaign or separate co-op mode? I know there are some co-op specific stuff, but will I get the full main story playing in co-op?

RoKKeR

Clarification needed. Is co-op through the main campaign or separate co-op mode? I know there are some co-op specific stuff, but will I get the full main story playing in co-op?
The co-op is drop in drop out straight from the campaign. You'll get the full story and more when playing co-op.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Main Campain

Thanks. Scores seem to be all over the place, but generally people are liking the co-op.

EDIT: Does it record progress through the campaign for both co-op players? If I'm Carver do I still get progress through the main story if I were to drop co-op and start playing Issac?

Ricker

Went from buy for the co-op to rent for single player because of that review,I hated when they shut doors on you and send a bazilion guys on you in a tight room in 2 and they say they do this often here and the co-op is broken in some instances,you try and solve a puzzle you can't get out of while your co-op partner has to fight mobs...it will be frustrating...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'd say scores are averaging around 7.5, which is a bit lower than expected. At least it's not tanking like RE6.

If this game ends up with a 7.5 review average then the franchise will be shelved like Medal of Honor.

It was never going to meet EAs insane commercial expectations but if it gets mediocre critical response as well the franchise will go on a long hiatus.

People will fucking HATE Chapter 5 and 6. If you hated the ending of DS2 with the regenerator, you will fucking hate Chapter 6 in particular. So much bullshit. So much. I actually liked the end of DS2 and Chapter 6 has almost soured me on DS3 altogether.

Another thing, sometimes this game will just throw hordes of Necros at you. The higher difficulties are going to be a damn nightmare.

This is why I tend to avoid games like this on hard difficulties. There are several "this is bullshit" moments in the first two games that IMO make the harder difficulties... not fun, but cheap feeling. A lot of people are recommending playing the game on hard, but I just know that's a trap.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
deadspace32013-02-042mtu4o.png

Drewfonse

This is why I tend to avoid games like this on hard difficulties. There are several "this is bullshit" moments in the first two games that IMO make the harder difficulties... not fun, but cheap feeling. A lot of people are recommending playing the game on hard, but I just know that's a trap.

I can't decide what to play it on, either. I almost always play games on Normal, then Hard, especially if I plan on replaying it. But who knows? I may not like DS3 enough to NG+ it, and if I play it on Normal, it might be too easy AND my only experience with it. What to do, what to do...

Badgerst3

The co-op is drop in drop out straight from the campaign. You'll get the full story and more when playing co-op.

how does drop in/out work?

Can i play the sp campaign alone then hit a checkpoint for a coop section, then go back to single player?

Brick

So, I have a buddy that is picking this up as well. Should we play through co-op on the first play through, or save that for round two?

Badgerst3

and any accuracy to ps3 slowdowns versus 360?

played the first 2 on ps3 and would prefer to round out the trilogy on the same system.

I can't decide what to play it on, either. I almost always play games on Normal, then Hard, especially if I plan on replaying it. But who knows? I may not like DS3 enough to NG+ it, and if I play it on Normal, it might be too easy AND my only experience with it. What to do, what to do...

I played on normal and while feeling it was fairly easy, there was indeed moments I was getting swarmed and suddenly my huge stockpile would be down to almost nothing. Take that for what it is.

Badgerst3

So, I have a buddy that is picking this up as well. Should we play through co-op on the first play through, or save that for round two?

more than a few reviews suggest ng+.

I would do on first playthrough if drop in/out lets me play a coop mission at a predetermined checkpoint and then allows right back to sp.

theDeeDubs

Video review for those gaf members that enjoy my unconventional reviews. A bit of a skit for the first minute give or take. After that the meat of the review. Dude Bro gaf members. I still wuv you. Not too spoiler-ish either.

Another excellent review. I find our taste usually aligns so I look forward to your reviews. I thought for a minute you said "Bros" instead of pros when you were summing up lol. Loved the skit.

How separated are the co-op missions from the main game? Can I level select to get to them? Curious for trophy purposes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is going on with save points in this game? I just played for about an hour, saw it auto-save, then quit. Came back, and the save file it loads is at the beginning of the chapter, and I lost an entire hour of game play.

What the hell is going on? When it auto-saves, it's not actually saving?

Another excellent review. I find our taste usually aligns so I look forward to your reviews. I thought for a minute you said "Bros" instead of pros when you were summing up lol. Loved the skit.

How separated are the co-op missions from the main game? Can I level select to get to them? Curious for trophy purposes.

Thanks man! And there is a chapter select and yes you can pick them. So it should be easy to go back and try some co-op. What was your preferred system choice?

Ricker

Wait,so there is an online pass for this for the co-op...me and a buddy can't rent the game and play co-op?...(360)

Aw crap, I just got to chapter 5 on Impossible and have been breezing through it so far. Time to hit a brick wall? :x

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Aw crap, I just got to chapter 5 on Impossible and have been breezing through it so far. Time to hit a brick wall? :x

Played through 5 just now on hard, didn't notice any spike per se. Didn't "hate" it at all. Let's see if 6 is as bad as he says.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, it's times like this that I love Gamefly. I still get to play the game, while saving $60.00 on a new release. This has 'will have some fun, but it's still one and done' written all over it for me. I should have it by tomorrow or the next day.

Z3M0G

What the fuck at Ellie. Literally what the fuck. I had to pause the game to come on this forum and bitch.

First her design is a complete mess and a long step down. Like this is worse than the UC3 Elena downgrade.

Then we apparently
have her dating this random ass NPC that had pretty much no foreshadowing

Google didn't turn up a good DS3 pic for comparison, so I took the liberty:

Dead Space 2:
ngbbs4d5823e706937.jpg

Dead Space 3:
ellie_DS3_zpsac9e09bd.png

RoKKeR

I'm playing on hard and I feel the game it's almost as if the game is balanced around hard and not normal, I still have ample amounts of ammo and medkits but I actually have to use the medkits and I have to be conservative with my shots otherwise I'd be running out EVEN though I'm scrounging the environments like a lunatic looking in every nook and cranny for items.

Agree.
Thanks for he heads up. Looks like I'll be starting on hard.

Love how polarizing this game is. From reviews to the shit DLC they announced, it sparks a lot of conversation.

Can't wait to play later today.

Top Bottom