• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

so what difficulty would people recommend for the first playthrough of the game ?

Normal really showers you with health and ammo, so maybe choose hard if that doesn't sound any good to you. I've still been finding the game quite tense on normal in spite of the wealth of ammo and health at my disposal, myself.

Moff

reached level 12 and I still enjoy the game very much, still convinced that it does not betray the dead space formula at any point.
the difference from the levels before though, is that I am producing a lot of ammo myself now. but I still use the same weapons. evangelizer rifle with changing secondary functions, rocket launcher is my favourite) and the ever great plasma cutter. I feel prepared for any situation with these bad boys.

JaxJag

Banned
You know, after the bad demo, and hearing everything I feared throughout it's development, I was ready to completely write Dead Space off, in spite of it being one of my favorite franchises this generation.

But I'm just enjoying the heck out of Dead Space 3. There's issues, it's probably the weakest game in the franchise. But the co-op is just so much fun, as is the weapon crafting.

You can definitely see a lot of areas where Visceral tried to expand Dead Space's appeal to outside of the survival/horror genre. But I gotta say, there's still a lot of Dead Space in Dead Space 3, especially chapters 4 through 9.

Really hope DS3 sells the 5 million it needs... want a next-gen Dead Space, badly.

Here's how you turn Impossible to easy mode:

Frame: MK-V Heavy Supercharged Frame
Upper: Military Engine
Upper Tip: MK-V Directed Suspension Field
Lower: Military Engine
Lower Tip: MK-V Conic Dispersal
Attachment 1: MK-V Damage Support
Attachment 2: MK-V Acid Bath
Upper Circuit 1:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 2:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 3:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 4:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 1:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 2:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 3:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 4:+2 Damage, +2 Reload

I'm basically using this, but with lower end parts. A mix of MK-V and Evangelizer parts. I threw some speed in there in place of some of the reload speed. The speed and damage of the shotgun like this makes me think maybe I should just do shotgun upper and some utility lower.

edit: I'm on normal mode, first playthrough. That's why I'm limited on parts.

Risgroo

Oh god. Chapter 5 spoiler:
So, I've been playing cargo tetris, and is that thing in the last box what I think it is?

NONONONONONONONONO

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nitpick time.

-Don't like the enemy variety, or lack thereof, other than some skin swapped necros ( and I'm sure they act slightly different as well ) I'm going out on a limb and say that DS2 might just have had more enemy types than DS3, even if that wasn't the case it surely felt like it.

-Also was frustrated with the fact that certain encounters lasted way too long, halfway through a necro-rush somewhere I became almost mechanical in my prediction of where they'd pop out and just kill them whackamole style. As someone who actually thinks these games are scary/tense it was rather disappointing to lose any kind of tension when the encounters overstayed their welcome.

-Here's another tip : when necromorph sightings and malfunctioning doors correlate 100% of the time the player won't get scared after "falling" for it the first couple of times, instead use that player expectation and play with their minds. The entire game I was waiting, yearning for that one fucking malfunctioning door that - gasp - didn't "spawn" necros, but instead they kept coming each time as expected.

-I felt like I was treated like a moron the entire time, I know people and I myself don't like the "Isaac do this Isaac do that" but at times the inner monologues ( see : objective markers/descriptions/hints ) got way out of hand.

NPC: "Isaac this thing needs fixing!"
Isaac: "You're right, if only there was a way for us to move heavy objects. Somekind of power that will help us, kinematically!" <--- 10 hours in even after the player is well aware of all and everything surrounding the kinesis-mechanics.

I don't know how Visceral does it but I have such a hard fucking time putting the Dead Space games down. Every time I sit down to play I go for at least 3 hours. The games have an insane sense of flow.

Nitpick time.

-Don't like the enemy variety, or lack thereof, other than some skin swapped necros ( and I'm sure they act slightly different as well ) I'm going out on a limb and say that DS2 might just have had more enemy types than DS3, even if that wasn't the case it surely felt like it.

-Also was frustrated with the fact that certain encounters lasted way too long, halfway through a necro-rush somewhere I was become almost mechanical in my prediction of where they'd pop out and just kill them whackamole style. As someone who actually thinks these games are scary/tense it was rather disappointing to lose any kind of tension when the encounters overstayed their welcome.

-Here's another tip : when necromorph sightings and malfunctioning doors correlate 100% of the time the player won't get scared after "falling" for it the first couple of times, instead use that player expectation and play with their minds. The entire game I was waiting, yearning for that one fucking malfunctioning door that - gasp - didn't "spawn" necros, but instead they kept coming each time as expected.

-I felt like I was treated like a moron the entire time, I know people and I myself don't like the "Isaac do this Isaac do that" but at times the inner monologues ( see : objective markers/descriptions/hints ) got way out of hand.

Isaac: "You're right, if only there was a way for us to move heavy objects. Somekind of power that will help us, kinematically!" <--- 10 hours in even after the player is well aware of all and everything surrounding the kinesis-mechanics.

I agree 100%.

I also didnt like how all the necros just rush like a madman and constantly drop right behind you.

O.DOGG

It is the art direction that keeps me hooked.

For me it was upgrading shit - weapons, suits. Too bad the rest of the game didn't hold up. I decided to start a new Dead Space (original) game to try to get what I've been missing in this latest one.

Wanny

It is the art direction that keeps me hooked.

I play Dead Space games for the art direction, atmosphere, lighting and sound design too.

Now that I played them all, I can safely say that Dead Space 3 had the best moments in that respect (but also the worst). DS1 is still my finest atmospheric game of the series while I don't remember much about DS2 for some reason.

Moff

origin preorders came with a free dead space 1. anyone know how to activate that? it does not appear in my games list.

I play Dead Space games for the art direction, atmosphere, lighting and sound design too.

Now that I played them all, I can safely say that Dead Space 3 had the best moments in that respect (but also the worst). DS1 is still my finest atmospheric game of the series while I don't remember much about DS2 for some reason.
I'd argue that's because Dead Space 2 was light on atmosphere throughout a lot of the game. That's one area where I've been very happy with Dead Space 3, the sense of place and atmosphere has been a lot more in line with what I'd like out of the series. Hopefully it can keep it up (sad to leave the flotilla behind, though, thought that stuff was pretty incredible)

I'm not too far I think CH2 or 3, but the game definitely feel like DS. The first chapter was a bit off fighting humans but I felt it worked well with the story. I have noticed that the ammo and health are very plentiful and that the enemy's are more like bullet sponges. A normal Necromorph used to take a couple shots total and each shot would take a limb off, now I will put 2 or 3 bullets to take a limb off. Overall it looks, sounds and plays like DS to me, again I am not that far and I guess it can turn the other way.

Dr Dogg

Well after getting my shipping confirmation last night I've had Dead Space on the brain. Even sent a proof over to a now confused and disgruntled customer this morning stating in their recruitment advert that they offer a "free parking dead space". Come on 5pm!

Thanks for picking it up. I loved those types of books when I was younger so to have one of our stuff is terrifically exciting.

Definitely one of the better, if not best art books I've picked up. I like the part in your forward saying that you're surrounded by "a tall statue of Isaac Clarke, many action figures in his Classic and Advanced suits, Necromorph Figures". I don't think I'd be able to concentrate with them leering down on me, I have a hard enough time with Salacious Crumb perched on my monitor.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Using Nvidia Inspector to lock the frame rate at 60 is giving me terrible....and i mean terrible screen tearing.....any other stable ways to lock frames?

The game def feels better at 60 but that tearing is killing me.

Nitpick time.

-Also was frustrated with the fact that certain encounters lasted way too long, halfway through a necro-rush somewhere I became almost mechanical in my prediction of where they'd pop out and just kill them whackamole style. As someone who actually thinks these games are scary/tense it was rather disappointing to lose any kind of tension when the encounters overstayed their welcome.

Yeah. Too many ambushes are telegraphed and fights are predictable. Tension is melted away by the familiarity of copy-pasted encounters and settings. Most fights occur in a small hallway, causing you to back into a corner and shoot at a line of necro-rushing mobs. DS1 and DS2 fights felt like I was solving a puzzle (Ishimura Bridge, Medbay, Unitology Church, School, etc.) DS2 introduced TK and Stasis modules that not only complimented the narrative but also intuitively guided you through the practical use.

yeah, those 2 were the 2 best and most memorable fights of those 2 games. its not like most others werent the usual dark narrow corridor fights.

DS1's marine ship and shuttle bay were narrow fighting done right as there was plenty of room to move about your enemies.

DS2's train, residential, and Ishimura dock were also good, narrow corridor fights.

I think that made these work were the enemy patterns and a seemingly longer reaction/hit stun time.

I can't put my finger on it, but the yellow eyed Necromorphs with the pick axes remind me of a movie. Is it The Thing?

Reminded me of Deadly Premonition :)

Adam Blue

Playing on Hard - it is still pretty easy except for some sequences in the optional missions.

I don't get the hoopla about the microtransactions. There's just a button labeled download content. The player is on a computer....doesn't seem so far out. Plus, if a player really wants to beat the game and they are having a hard time, this is a way out for them without skipping any sequences and still playing. Even though in the end it's obviously just for money.

As for the farming glitch, I'm sure that was done purposely. It is in an spot that the game almost makes you go back to immediately -
As soon as you leave the room and go out into the cold, you are swarmed by enemies. As soon as I dispatched them, I went inside to replenish my temp, and the item was there. The way to open the door barely step in to grab it and step out - it was planned to be like this.

def sim

Dying in the last flying section of DS2 and having to start at the beginning of chapter 13 sure was a downer. :(

Maybe I'll get around to DS3 later tonight if the random debris doesn't get me again.

theDeeDubs

Really liking it so far. It's a huge improvement over 2 for me. In some ways better than 1, but it had an unfair advantage of being a new experience. Well done, Codecow and gang!

def sim

You can die in that area? Hehe

Yeah, I completely forgot about it.

I was all, "yeah I beat hardcore weeee," then splat.
emot-smith.gif

Wanny

I'm kinda interested in doing a coop playthrough now that I beat it alone but it looks like it's the kind of game you would like to play with a friend on hard+ difficulty. I really enjoyed RE5's coop with a friend back then.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I'll say it again. They spared no expense on the production value. This has always been the case with Dead Space, but it still impresses and I am I glad to see that they kept the integrity of that intact to the highest level.

As for the overall game itself, it started off as something that felt very different, but quickly became very Dead Spacey. While I could do without additions like armed Unitologist soldiers, there is still plenty here that lets you know what this game is and there is hardly any of the former to be found in the meat of the game (so far, at about 5 hours in).

While it may not be quite as dark or creepy as the previous two, the Dead Space vibe is still very much alive here and just the feeling of being out in space is probably done better in this one. If I have to give it any props over the others, it would be here. A bit different in areas, but still an absolutely great game that in no way ruins the series. Happy to admit that my fears were pretty unfounded.

I'm enjoying this game in coop quite a bit. Surprisingly I was still kind of nervous with my coop partner so the atmosphere is there greatfully.

My biggest annoyance is that the act of shooting enemies doesn't seem quite as satisfying as the previous games for some reason. I can't quite pin down what it is though.

I'm starting to think that one of the Dead Space games is game of the generation though. Just in terms of overall immersion I don't know that any game has beat it for me thus far.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there any place I can go to view the designs (not just concept art) of the Necromorphs? I've always thought they were amazing in their nightmarishness, but I can never get a good look at them in game without on account that they're trying to kill me. They all look quite different in DS3 (I imagine because Lurkers were made from different host species and they're all 200 years old), and I just wanna... Look at them in safety...

bitoriginal

Arghhh. Fuck this new save system. I did the whole waiting for the tram bit last night and guess what, I've got to fucking do it again. What was wrong with the previous system?!

Nemesis_

I missed the Supply Depot side mission in Mission 9. Basically ran past it and forgot to revisit and now I try to revisit and the door is locked.

Is there any way to go back? Or am I gonna have to do another playthrough to get everything within the depot? :(

Mike M

Nick N
Arghhh. Fuck this new save system. I did the whole waiting for the tram bit last night and guess what, I've got to fucking do it again. What was wrong with the previous system?!

Something something accommodation of coop.

The style they went with is fine, but their implementation is pretty awful. Checkpoints are too infrequent, and "saving" only captures your inventory. Use up all your healing items during a necrorush, then save and quit? Oops, your progress wasn't saved, only your inventory!

Thanks Obama Visceral : (

same thing for me... we were able to save whenever we wanted to in the previous iterations...
Er, no, you had to use save points...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Is there any place I can go to view the designs (not just concept art) of the Necromorphs? I've always thought they were amazing in their nightmarishness, but I can never get a good look at them in game without on account that they're trying to kill me. They all look quite different in DS3 (I imagine because Lurkers were made from different host species and they're all 200 years old), and I just wanna... Look at them in safety...

Art of Dead Space. Really a must-own if you're a fan of these games.

Really easiest to do a google image search though.

Look for "Progress Saved" (as opposed to "Inventory Saved") in the top-right hand corner of your screen before quitting.

Yes, I agree the save stations that DS1 and DS2 provided were much better.

-----------

If anyone is enjoying the score as much as I am, the composer Jason Graves has a few tracks up.

https://soundcloud.com/jasongraves

The full game OST won't be out until the 12th though.

Moff

I missed the Supply Depot side mission in Mission 9. Basically ran past it and forgot to revisit and now I try to revisit and the door is locked.

Is there any way to go back? Or am I gonna have to do another playthrough to get everything within the depot? :(
you can do that thrugh the mission select menu
after that you can continue the story through the menu again

How does that work btw? If I finish the game and i've missed a bunch of stuff in earlier chapters, can I chapter select them and the extra stuff I found is saved on my character overall, or does it creat a new character?

Nemesis_

Really? So keep going until I get to the next chapter (really soon), save and quit, open up mission select, find the depot mission, complete it, save and quit, and then continue my story game?

Just want to confirm *.*

DSmalls84

Anybody pick this up that is a big fan of the "Thing"? With the frozen areas in the previews, that was the vibe I kinda got from it, and the necromorphs always seemed pretty smiliar to the monster design in that move. I played some of the other 2 games and enjoyed them, is this one worth getting?

Moff

Really? So keep going until I get to the next chapter (really soon), save and quit, open up mission select, find the depot mission, complete it, save and quit, and then continue my story game?

Just want to confirm *.*

that is exactly how it works. your character and inventory is saved no matter where you are.
after you finished your side missione, you have to select "continuer latest story save" and not "continue last save point". and you will start where you left off.

edit: but you can also reach the side quets thorugh a tram, they are all connected by it. so you may reach the depot through a later side mission. not 100% sure though, maybe you can only use the tram when you finished that side mission. the way I discribed avose works. its how I did it.

Nemesis_

that is exactly how it works. your character and inventory is saved no matter where you are.
after you finished your side missione, you have to select "continuer latest story save" and not "continue last save point". and you will start where you left off.

Very helpful! Thank you.

Something something accommodation of coop.

The style they went with is fine, but their implementation is pretty awful. Checkpoints are too infrequent, and "saving" only captures your inventory. Use up all your healing items during a necrorush, then save and quit? Oops, your progress wasn't saved, only your inventory!

Thanks Obama Visceral : (

Er, no, you had to use save points...

You're right... my bad. But the checkpoints were more frequent and actually working...
Not this time.. why ?

Top Bottom