• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Grisby

I lose some health doing it but I always feel like such a bad ass when a group of necros surround me and I bust out my lightsaber attachment on the plasma cutter. For some reason I also added a stasis module to it and the body parts fly in slow motion.
Anybody pick this up that is a big fan of the "Thing"? With the frozen areas in the previews, that was the vibe I kinda got from it, and the necromorphs always seemed pretty smiliar to the monster design in that move. I played some of the other 2 games and enjoyed them, is this one worth getting?
Yes and yes.

I missed the Supply Depot side mission in Mission 9. Basically ran past it and forgot to revisit and now I try to revisit and the door is locked.

Is there any way to go back? Or am I gonna have to do another playthrough to get everything within the depot? :(

There is also a tram you can ride, in the menu on the tram, it's the location all the way on the left. Takes you right into it basically.

Man, I don't understand how one gets through Hardcore mode legitimately. So many ways to die quickly, not to mention the glitchy rappelling sequences(block tap of dooooom). Worst parts are the jetboot sequences and those swarming emaciation victims. Don't want to use the save copy trick but I really want to unlock retro mode. We shall see if I can persevere eventually. Started a classic mode playthough and I'll do a impossible run with coop when my friend gets the game. Can I use new game plus mode and have my friend join without penalties to either of us?

jbartee

It's already been mentioned in here, but the save system is horrendous. Otherwise I'm loving the game, but it is not fun in any way whatsoever to lose an hour or two of progress because the game decides to autosave inventory but not progress. This is the worst when doing side missions, which generally don't save at any point during the start, middle, or even ending of the mission.

I somehow managed to play for 1.5 hours last night without hitting an autosave. And then unwittingly walked into a really difficult action sequence, also without hitting any autosave. After dying and replaying the sequence several times, I finally decided my brain was too sleep deprived by then to get through it, so I just left my PS3 on overnight and went to bed. I haven't had to leave a console on like this since the Sega Genesis era. What terrible design.

What kills me is that the game checkpoints constantly, but doesn't actually commit those checkpoints to the save file. It just arbitrarily forces long play sessions because if you quit or power cycle you lose the checkpoint.

Ricker

Just at the start of chapter 6 and I noticed I missed 2 side missions in chapter 4...can I go back and do those still,when I am in that space shuttle places...? like for the Breely(sp)mission?...did the Conner stash one and it was good...

How does ammo work in this? I have 31 x ammo in my inventory, yet when I select my Plasma Cutter, it says 90-something, and my Line Cutter/Force Gun says 40-something.

I'm confused. :-/

jbartee

How does ammo work in this? I have 31 x ammo in my inventory, yet when I select my Plasma Cutter, it says 90-something, and my Line Cutter/Force Gun says 40-something.

Pretty sure 31 is the number of clips. the numbers you see when aiming the weapons are the individual shots. As for how the clips are divided across the guns, I have no idea. I think there's probably a finite amount of energy per clip, and each weapon type consumes that energy at a different rate per shot.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I think in your inventory ammo is measured in clips. A single clip provides varying numbers of shots depending on the gun.

RPG

Just at the start of chapter 6 and I noticed I missed 2 side missions in chapter 4...can I go back and do those still,when I am in that space shuttle places...? like for the Breely(sp)mission?...did the Conner stash one and it was good...
Yes, there is a chapter select option that lets you jump around w/o interrupting your story progress. There's two continue options, 'start from last save' and 'start from last story point'. You'll want to use the latter to continue w/ the story if you chapter select.

Lima

I think in your inventory ammo is measured in clips. A single clip provides varying numbers of shots depending on the gun.
That is how it works. Also only reload if you are low on ammo otherwise you will waste the ammo left in your current clip.

Mike M

Nick N
That is how it works. Also only reload if you are low on ammo otherwise you will waste the ammo left in your current clip.
What? I'm almost certain that's not how it works. I've been standing on an ammo clip with maxed out inventory, reloaded, and been able to pick up the number of shots reloaded. If I wasted the clip, it'd have picked up the whole thing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I found that too. Beat him in about 20 seconds in the demo, in the full game he kept regenerating those tentacle things and running me over.

In the demo you could get all the orange spots in his mouth in one cycle, had to do 2 in the full game. And yeah he attacked a lot more, back roll was good there.

Mike M

Nick N
I think I'm reaching the end of the Evangelizer's OPness. Not quite there yet, but it's in sight. Even with maxed out damage and firing speed upgraded in every circuit, I'm having trouble facing down swarms of necros bunching up on me. Thinking of either swapping out the carbine for fully automatic or a force gun, or just building a force/assault rifle combo for crowd control (I imagine it'd be more useful with a stasis attachment, but I don't have the option to craft that yet.)

Really want to keep that shotgun though, I heart that thing so much...

just completed impossible solo. great end battle fight.

new game + here I come!

(btw is it normal to have 80 percent of the achievements on one play through?)

njean777

Anybody else think the enemies in this game move way faster then in previous Dead Space games? Almost a little to fast for the control scheme imo.

I'm confused.

I made some kind of force push gun earlier in the game then decided to break it down for parts.

Now I cant find the part that does it in my inventory on the workbench, or even a way to build one.

Any idea what its called?

Muffdraul

Anybody else think the enemies in this game move way faster then in previous Dead Space games? Almost a little to fast for the control scheme imo.

They do seem to be more aggressive about getting up in your face, but nothing as bad as the Leapers in DS2. Those were the worst.

Definitely. It's strange how much faster they move, considering most of them have been frozen in ice for the better part of 200 years.

Lima

Use a force gun if you feel that you get rushed a lot. Good for crowd control and to give yourself some breathing room.

Ricker

Yes, there is a chapter select option that lets you jump around w/o interrupting your story progress. There's two continue options, 'start from last save' and 'start from last story point'. You'll want to use the latter to continue w/ the story if you chapter select.

Ah ok cool,I will try that,thanks.

ironcreed

Banned
Definitely. It's strange how much faster they move, considering most of them have been frozen in ice for the better part of 200 years.

I noticed that as well pretty early on after getting scooped up and stabbed to death after being bum rushed. Make no mistake, some intense moments are still very much here.

mf.luder

That guy was a PITA but I'm glad they changed it from the demo.

I got bored of meeting up with my companions in a cutscene only to shortly be separated by a broken walkway/ladder/passage/explosion/ice.
"Isaac, are you okay?"
"Yes, I'll find another way around."

When it happened I just wanted to skip the cutscene and get going.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They do seem to be more aggressive about getting up in your face, but nothing as bad as the Leapers in DS2. Those were the worst.

The leapers in 3 have scared the fuck out of me on multiple occasions. They scurry around and come out of nowhere. I haven't encountered that many, though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That guy was a PITA but I'm glad they changed it from the demo.

I got bored of meeting up with my companions in a cutscene only to shortly be separated by a broken walkway/ladder/passage/explosion/ice.
"Isaac, are you okay?"
"Yes, I'll find another way around."

I wish there were more variations to that "splitting up mechanic" other than shit blowing up/crumbling under the feet of Isaac. After the tenth time that happened it started to get comical, in a negative sense.

Jarmel

Banned
I wish there were more variations to that "splitting up mechanic" other than shit blowing up/crumbling under the feet of Isaac. After the tenth time that happened it started to get comical, in a negative sense.

Still not as bad as Uncharted 3.

That said, sometimes it was ridiculous like Carver meeting up with you in the Captain's quarters on the ship and then leaving ahead of you.

mf.luder

Fuck, I didn't last anywhere near ten.

Muffdraul

The leapers in 3 have scared the fuck out of me on multiple occasions. They scurry around and come out of nowhere. I haven't encountered that many, though.

They're still pretty scary, but they seem pretty toned down than the ones in 2, in terms of immediately charging at you at 100 mph.

pa22word

What? I'm almost certain that's not how it works. I've been standing on an ammo clip with maxed out inventory, reloaded, and been able to pick up the number of shots reloaded. If I wasted the clip, it'd have picked up the whole thing.

false

You don't pick up "ammo" in raw numbers in this game. You pick up "clips" in pairs of 4 that stack at 20. Meaning yes, every time you reload you burn a "clip".

It's much worse in co-op. Carver seems to have an invisible, magical tether attached from his ankle to Isaac's, and every time Isaac slips or falls or whatever, Carver comes with him...no matter how illogical or impossible that may be.

The most hilarious instance I've ran across is in the first setpiece on the Ice Planet
the one where the big monster throws you across the gap
. If you watch the upper left-hand corner you can see carver fly head-over-heels in hilariously-shitty 6th gen ragdoll form, despite the fact nothing could have thrown him or otherwise hit him hard enough to make him fly in such a manor.

Tacitus_

Started a fresh run on Impossible. The necros (or at least the weapon wielding ones)really don't stagger like at all on this difficulty. That said, I really should've started on this difficulty. Way more teeth clenching.

pa22word

Once I get the scavenger bot should I just constantly deploy it when its off cooldown?

No.

You have to listen for a very specific audio cue in the environment, then pull up your scanner, walk around, and wait for a white circle to show up. It sounds kinda like a "whomp-whomp" with a hefty dose of reverb, if that makes any sense lol

Mike M

Nick N
false

You don't pick up "ammo" in raw numbers in this game. You pick up "clips" in pairs of 4 that stack at 20. Meaning yes, every time you reload you burn a "clip".

And suddenly it all makes sense. On the one hand, that gives balance to more powerful weapons w/smaller clip sizes, but on the other hand, Jesus, I have three rows of 20 clip stacks which is apparently more ammo than I even thought.

Once I get the scavenger bot should I just constantly deploy it when its off cooldown?

I keep one in deployment pretty much constantly, one only for use on high resource spots. Until you get that second one, I'd save it for resource spots.

Muffdraul

No.

You have to listen for a very specific audio cue in the environment, then pull up your scanner, walk around, and wait for a white circle to show up. It sounds kinda like a "whomp-whomp" with a hefty dose of reverb, if that makes any sense lol

You *can* deploy them whenever you want, even if there's no signal, but you'll get a small amount of resources. The only real downside is that you might not have a bot available when you do hear the beeps.

pa22word

You *can* deploy them whenever you want, even if there's no signal, but you'll get a small amount of resources. The only real downside is that you might not have a bot available when you do hear the beeps.

Well yeah, you *can*, but there's no point in it. The amount of shit you get from a random drop is so miniscule that it's not even really worth doing unless you bought the DLC packs to boost the drop rates or something.

I think the last time I did a random drop I got like 1 tungsten off it, lol...

Mike M

Nick N
I wish there were a way to name custom weapons (unless there is and I overlooked it). I want to make a flaming rivet shotgun and call it "Dog w/Bees in its Mouth"

Lima

Well yeah, you *can*, but there's no point in it. The amount of shit you get from a random drop is so miniscule that it's not even really worth doing unless you bought the DLC packs to boost the drop rates or something.

I think the last time I did a random drop I got like 1 tungsten off it, lol...

You seem to get more ration seals though if you drop them off somewhere random. At least that is my experience.

pa22word

Speaking of which: are the torque doors even worth it? I've been playing co-op with a dude, and thus far he's been crafting all the torque bars to open them up with, and even then I've found the drops to be pretty meh overall. For ever part I get there's 20 peices of shit I don't need piling up on top of all the other shit I don't need in my inventory. Which leads me to my next thought:

Why in the hell do we even still /have/ an inventory, anyways? Ammo is universal now, and the game showers you with medpacks and ammo at such a rate the only resource management you'll ever do in the game is to drop medpacks and ammo so you can cart around parts to the nearest bench. It adds nothing to the game, and just makes it annoying when I have to start spraying the walls with rockets so I can pick up that Elite Handle that just dropped. Honestly if they continue down this same path in DS4 they should just drop it entirely and give you a general ammo pool and medpack pool pop-ups that stay consistently on the rig as you play.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Still not as bad as Uncharted 3.

That said, sometimes it was ridiculous like Carver meeting up with you in the
Captain's quarters
on the ship and then leaving ahead of you.

That's really been the only time I raised an eyebrow at Carver conveeeeeniently showing up at a spot where Issac was going (in single-player that is). Issac's heading to the
Admiral's quarters
and facing down all these monsters along the way - if Carver was also planning on going, they really should have gone together. Other than that, the co-op is pretty much as invisible as possible in the single-player (save for the co-op only missions - really wish they could have somehow re-tuned these for single-players as well).

I agree that it's absolutely hilarious how many times Issac gets split up from the group by falling off something. I don't mind if he's thrown by a monster or if the ship
he's piloting is torn in half (actually, why didn't Ellie pilot the shuttle down to the planet? not really sure what she's doing in that cut-scene, but she's a pilot, right?),
but he's really has an amusing tendency to stand exactly where the cliff/platform/catwalk is going to breakaway.

I will say that I'm really eager to play co-op now, given all the side missions I can't investigate. Also I read the new graphic novel and I'm looking forward to exploring all the demons in Carver's head.

pa22word said:
Speaking of which: are the torque doors even worth it? I've been playing co-op with a dude, and thus far he's been crafting all the torque bars to open them up with, and even then I've found the drops to be pretty meh overall. For ever part I get there's 20 peices of shit I don't need piling up on top of all the other shit I don't need in my inventory.

I think so? There are blueprints, weapon parts, and (IIRC) some text files in those rooms that you can't get anywhere else.

Top Bottom