• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Dead

well not really...yet
quick question, are there Suit drops anywhere? Or are the suits entirely dictated by the story + dlc now?

Tacitus_

Speaking of which: are the torque doors even worth it? I've been playing co-op with a dude, and thus far he's been crafting all the torque bars to open them up with, and even then I've found the drops to be pretty meh overall. For ever part I get there's 20 peices of shit I don't need piling up on top of all the other shit I don't need in my inventory.

I found almost always tunsgten behind those doors so I'd say that they're very worth it. You can find mods and parts very frequently as well and strip them for materials.

Moff

Only through story and DLC. And they are only cosmetic now.

well thats not entirely true, there is at least one suit that makes you immune against freezing, which is very important, and another one says it makes you immune to fire.

but sadly, this metroid aspect is too much ignored in the game, I would have wished the suits would have more impact.

pa22word

I found almost always tunsgten behind those doors so I'd say that they're very worth it. You can find mods and parts very frequently as well and strip them for materials.

I found tungsten behind the first two, but none after that thus far. Just random supplies and the odd blueprint or part here and there.

Also, quoting this for the new page so it doesn't get buried:

Why in the hell do we even still /have/ an inventory, anyways? Ammo is universal now, and the game showers you with medpacks and ammo at such a rate the only resource management you'll ever do in the game is to drop medpacks and ammo so you can cart around parts to the nearest bench. It adds nothing to the game, and just makes it annoying when I have to start spraying the walls with rockets so I can pick up that Elite Handle that just dropped. Honestly if they continue down this same path in DS4 they should just drop it entirely and give you a general ammo pool and medpack pool pop-ups that stay consistently on the rig as you play.

nel e nel

well thats not entirely true, there is at least one suit that makes you immune against freezing, which is very important, and another one says it makes you immune to fire.

but sadly, this metroid aspect is too much ignored in the game, I would have wished the suits would have more impact.

Yeah, finishing up a run of DS2, and besides the basic mining/engineer suit that is at the very beginning, all the suits have some sort of bonus (increased damage with certain weapons, faster stasis recharge, etc)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have always found 16 tungsten behind the doors on top of everything else. Definitely make those bars.

I wonder if it's randomized at all.

pa22word

I have always found 16 tungsten behind the doors on top of everything else. Definitely make those bars.

I wonder if it's randomized at all.

Well, I've played essentially the entire game in co-op save for a few chapters I did on my own just to see how it changed, and now that I think about it I might have only gotten the tungsten drops when I was forging the bars myself in SP. Mayhaps in coop the only person who gets the tungsten drop is the one who used the bar to open the door?

Lima

Yeah but that suit is only needed to pass a certain point and to get rid of the temperature gage. After that you can equip any suit you like and run around in the blizzard without freezing to death.

As far as the fire one goes, yeah I read that, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be needed at any point in the game (well I'm only in chapter 15 maybe it becomes useful later)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
No I didnt have anything and I was actually on chpt. 1 but it was the last section before you have to assemble the train. I had no suit, just the plasma cutter and the initial carbine. I made ot to the end but I was like "yea going to drop down to hard". The necromorphs were powering through stasis. It was insane and I'm pretty good at games but I felt like it was me that just wasn't up to par. Glad to know otherwise

Yeah man it's not you. Haha. Anyone would get destroyed on impossible without better gear.
Hope you enjoy the game more once you drop down the difficulty a bit.

I don't know how Visceral does it but I have such a hard fucking time putting the Dead Space games down. Every time I sit down to play I go for at least 3 hours. The games have an insane sense of flow.

100% agree!

Mike M

Nick N
Man, this clips vs. rounds thing is still messing with my head. In the past DS games, a plasma cutter had a maximum capacity of what, 20 shots? And stacked 25 rounds per item slot? So a single slot with a stack of 20 clips in DS3 is 400 rounds, which would have taken 16 item slots in previous games (~2/3rds total capacity of a maxed out RIG). My current three rows of maxed out ammo stacks is roughly equivalent to just under 10 times the maximum capacity of item slots from DS1 and 2.

FrankGrimes.gif

JRW

This game is on another level of immersion when playing with my Sony XB500 headphones .. (via amplified X-Fi sound card output).

The initial Enemy screams scare the crap out of me now lol. Also the overall sound quality is quite good, but I guess this isn't a big surprise being part 1 & 2 had excellent sound as well.

Of course. Because the one time you don't, infectors show up.

Hmmmm... there weren't any of the flying infectors in Dead Space 3 are there? Kind of missed those guys. I always loved their design. Man, I remember in Dead Space 1, going into the morgue for the first time and seeing that infector reanimate the captain. Awesome.

Mupod

Does anyone else stomp on every dead body. It's like habit now.

That habit got replaced with ripping off their blades with kinesis and shooting the bodies. Faster and solves the problem of those rare necros who play dead...although that's only happened once in this game so far.

Why in the hell do we even still /have/ an inventory, anyways? Ammo is universal now, and the game showers you with medpacks and ammo at such a rate the only resource management you'll ever do in the game is to drop medpacks and ammo so you can cart around parts to the nearest bench. It adds nothing to the game, and just makes it annoying when I have to start spraying the walls with rockets so I can pick up that Elite Handle that just dropped. Honestly if they continue down this same path in DS4 they should just drop it entirely and give you a general ammo pool and medpack pool pop-ups that stay consistently on the rig as you play.

This is exactly how I feel. Lack of limits while simultaneously lacking the variety of gear doesn't make me have to "assess my survival". It's so unfortunately basic and goes against the frantic improvisation of fighting that existed in the first two games.

The thought of mulling over a couple of line racks, a dozen plasma cutter bolts, and several ripper blades before a tough fight must have been such a fucking lame notion to somebody. I'll miss it, though.

Mike M

Nick N
Hmmmm... there weren't any of the flying infectors in Dead Space 3 are there? Kind of missed those guys. I always loved their design. Man, I remember in Dead Space 1, going into the morgue for the first time and seeing that infector reanimate the captain. Awesome.

I haven't encountered any, they've kinda been replaced by... I'm not sure what they are, Divider heads?

K' Dash

This game is on another level of immersion when playing with my Sony XB500 headphones .. (via amplified X-Fi sound card output).

The initial Enemy screams scare the crap out of me now lol. Also the overall sound quality is quite good, but I guess this isn't a big surprise being part 1 & 2 had excellent sound as well.

Yeah, I play mostly with my Home Theater because of that, it messes with my head and scares the shit out of me :(

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, and the thin man isn't in anymore :/

Also, this game sort of punishes you for reloading preemptively, right?

Kinda? You lose the rounds remaining in the clip, but if you've got two stacks you still have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more ammo than you could even carry in the first two games.

Mupod

Kinda? You lose the rounds remaining in the clip, but if you've got two stacks you still have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more ammo than you could even carry in the first two games.

wait, what?

I've been reloading with even 1 shot missing after battles, and I still never even seem to use my ammo. I also run around spamming survey charges all day.

Mike M

Nick N
wait, what?

I've been reloading with even 1 shot missing after battles, and I still never even seem to use my ammo. I also run around spamming survey charges all day.

I have to go home and check for myself, but I think people saying that ammo is measured in clips and not rounds are correct. So even if you're reloading frequently, if every drop is for 5 clips on Normal, you'll likely never run out of ammo : /

zychi

Banned
Does this game ever go into Horror mode? I'm at Chapter 4 and am actually bored with the game :/ I loved DS1, was lukewarm on 2. I'll trudge on a bit more, but man am I disappointed so far.

Does this game ever go into Horror mode? I'm at Chapter 4 and am actually bored with the game :/ I loved DS1, was lukewarm on 2. I'll trudge on a bit more, but man am I disappointed so far.

I haven't played the game yet, but watched a youtube walkthrough and it seems like the most traditional Dead Space type of atmosphere you get is the stuff early on with the flotilla in space. There are some cool moments here and there after that, but not really in any horror sense.

Jarmel

Banned

Chapter 17 and 18 come pretty damn close.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, it's pretty much all jump scares with the same scenarios and setups from the first two games so you see them coming a mile away this time. I really, really, *really* miss other aspects from the first game like the hallucinations, the happening upon survivors just before their untimely demise (self inflicted or otherwise), and the unfolding of the events that happened prior to your arrival in logs around the ship. DS3 doesn't have any hallucinations at all (in single player), and otherwise retreads much the same events as DS1 (at least so far, I'm only half way through), so it's really missing something.

And the ammo is ridiculous. I remember I was fucking terrified in DS1 when I ran out of ammo for one chapter and back tracked into an area only to encounter a pregnant lumbering towards me. I never have that problem in DS3, I drop everything with my shotgun, double tap them to make sure they don't get back up, then drop 20 clips to make room for an item because I have that much ammo to spare : /

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
And the ammo is ridiculous. I remember I was fucking terrified in DS1 when I ran out of ammo for one chapter and back tracked into an area only to encounter a pregnant lumbering towards me. I never have that problem in DS3, I drop everything with my shotgun, double tap them to make sure they don't get back up, then drop 20 clips to make room for an item because I have that much ammo to spare : /

But you are playing on normal right?
Cause that is how it is on normal. It makes sense if they are giving consideration to having more people enjoy and actually finish their game.
The ammo situations are different on more difficult settings.

The last two games have totally been developed so that players will play through multiple times.
Game rewards you with new game+ once you finish and lets you keep your gear from one difficulty to another (from my understanding).

Same goes for Halo. Heroic is the setting the game is "meant" to be played on. But normal is there still.

Mike M

Nick N
Cause that is how it is on normal. It makes sense if they are giving consideration to having more people enjoy and actually finish their game.

The last two games have totally been developed so that players will play through multiple times.
Game rewards you with new game+ once you finish and lets you keep your gear from one difficulty to another (from my understanding).

Same goes for Halo. Heroic is the setting the game is "meant" to be played on. But normal is there still.

My DS1 experience was on normal too. I realize they're trying to broaden the base and that ammo is scarcer/enemies are tougher on higher difficulties, but that doesn't make this any less ridiculous.

Tacitus_

It's also that way on hard. I began dismantling my ammo for scrap when it crept over 120 clips to save on inventory space and it never dropped below 100 once it got up there.
Impossible seems to be bit more difficult but we'll see.

JJD

On Chapter 7 there are 2 places were you can farm resources as long as you want with the Scavenger Bot.

When you're preparing the Crozier to go to Tau Volantis you'll have to get 3 flight recorders, you'll need to wander around on space searching for some satellites to gather the pieces you need.

Follow the sounds and you'll find two spots were you can gather resources, there's a bench inside the space station. When the scavenger bot is back go into space again and you'll be able to get resources on the same two spots again. Both spots are kinda close to each other near that big spire on the opposite side of the Crozier were some necros appear. There are two satellites nearby too so you can get their flight recorders there. One of the spots is right next to that big solar panel that reflects light on top of the space station, the other one on the other side of the spire, closer to the two satellites.

I've done this at least 10 times now. I have more than 1000 tungsten and a lot of the other resources. I've managed to upgrade my rig completely. Poor necros! Hahaha!

If you can get more scavengers bots you'll be able to farm both spots simultaneously (roughly 100 tungsten every scavenger trip). I have only one right now so I just farm one spot. Maybe in New Game + you'll be able to reach this chapter with more than 1 bot.

I think this may be another glitch.

mr stroke

+1

I am about 2 hours in and bored to tears :(

Dunno if it gets better, but I know I don't want to spend another 10 hours to find out.

+1

Dunno if it gets better, but I know I don't want to spend another 10 hours to find out.

There are a few parts during the beginning of Tau Volantis that are pretty horror-y but that's pretty much it. The game just goes downhill from there.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
My DS1 experience was on normal too. I realize they're trying to broaden the base and that ammo is scarcer/enemies are tougher on higher difficulties, but that doesn't make this any less ridiculous.

For sure. I understand I just try not to let little things like that stand out to me and ruin an otherwise enjoyable experience.

+1

I think if any game bores you for that long it's time to move on.
I thought the game started strong so I can't see it picking up for you.

Tacitus_

On Chapter 7 there are 2 places were you can farm resources as long as you want with the Scavenger Bot.

When you're preparing the Crozier to go to Tau Volantis you'll have to get 3 flight recorders, you'll need to wander around on space searching for some satellites to gather the pieces you need.

Follow the sounds and you'll find two spots were you can gather resources, there's a bench inside the space station. When the scavenger bot is back go into space again and you'll be able to get resources on the same two spots again. Both spots are kinda close to each other near that big spire on the opposite side of the Crozier were some necros appear. There are two satellites nearby too so you can get their flight recorders there. One of the spots is right next to that big solar panel that reflects light on top of the space station, the other one on the other side of the spire, closer to the two satellites.

I've done this at least 10 times now. I have more than 1000 tungsten and a lot of the other resources. I've managed to upgrade my rig completely. Poor necros! Hahaha!

If you can get more scavengers bots you'll be able to farm both spots simultaneously (roughly 100 tungsten every scavenger trip). I have only one right now so I just farm one spot. Maybe in New Game + you'll be able to reach this chapter with more than 1 bot.

I think this may be another glitch.

I think you can replay chapters to get more materials so I don't think that's really unintended. Then again, you get so much stuff it's not like you need to farm for them.

Mike M

Nick N
For sure. I understand I just try not to let little things like that stand out to me and ruin an otherwise enjoyable experience.
Oh, it's far from ruinous, but it is unfortunate.

I'm not really sure what a better solution would be, either, except perhaps for smaller stack numbers on clips.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Did anyone who bought the Xbox 360 version have any problems with loose discs in the box? Or any scratched discs as a result or whatever? It's two discs, right?

I'm enjoying it, but the one thing that's really pissing me off is the cheap spawns. It was pretty perfect in the original game. Then in Dead Space 2, they started spawning enemies behind you with no sound cues. Now, they've decided to start spawning them two feet away so I have no room whatsoever to maneuver. This shit has to stop.

Lima

And done. Fantastic game. I don't know why people say that the 2nd half is bad, it was really good. Especially chapter 17 and 18. I can't even find words to describe how good both these chapters were. I didn't want this game to end...

If you are remotely good at vidya, play on Impossible right away. It is a much better experience. You still get swamped with ammo and health, but you know that every enemy can take your life.

Regarding the length I think it is time for me to eat some crow. This is what I said in the demo thread.

Same thing was said about 2 being longer as 1 when in the end it wasn't. I don't believe this until I have beaten the game and see the playtime on the final save.

Looking forward to your post when you've beaten the game then.

Well then.

Standard Save Slot 1 - 92,6% complete - 20:21:41

tjuah.gif

ironcreed

Banned
And done. Fantastic game. I don't know why people say that the 2nd half is bad, it was really good. Especially chapter 17 and 18. I can't even find words to describe how good both these chapters were. I didn't want this game to end...

If you are remotely good at vidya, play on Impossible right away. It is a much better experience. You still get swamped with ammo and health, but you know that every enemy can take your life.

Regarding the length I think it is time for me to eat some crow. This is what I said in the demo thread.

Well then.

Standard Save Slot 1 - 92,6% complete - 20:21:41

tjuah.gif

Hyped for the rest of my play through.

Top Bottom