• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Just reached chapter 6.

This game is a disappointment.

There, I said it. It took me a while to accept it, but I'm 6 chapters in, and I'm not the slightest bit engaged with the story, I've found all the environments so far bland and dull, and not once has the gameplay wowed me. Where are te cool setpieces? The bosses?

Dead Space 3 is not a bad game by any means. But Dead Space 1 and 2 were incredible (in my opinion), and this doesn't hold a candle to them.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm enjoying it, but the one thing that's really pissing me off is the cheap spawns. It was pretty perfect in the original game. Then in Dead Space 2, they started spawning enemies behind you with no sound cues. Now, they've decided to start spawning them two feet away so I have no room whatsoever to maneuver. This shit has to stop.

My guess is that they want to avoid players camping out in corners (my favorite tactic ;_;) to avoid attacks from the rear. I admit that after dying several times when necromorphs started dropping through the ceiling to get me I started "runnin' and gunnin'". Definitely made waiting for the damn supply box to drop down in the single-player missions a bit hectic.

Lima said:
I don't know why people say that the 2nd half is bad, it was really good. Especially chapter 17 and 18. I can't even find words to describe how good both these chapters were. I didn't want this game to end...

Agreed - I'm really enjoying the ice planet - it feels like a love letter to The Thing, which is one of my favorite movies, so I really don't want the game to end.

AwShucks

There, I said it. It took me a while to accept it, but I'm 6 chapters in, and I'm not the slightest bit engaged with the story, I've found all the environments so far bland and dull, and not once has the gameplay wowed me.

I'd like some of what you're having. Seriously. I think I'm in Chapter 9 and this game is Dead Space to the core so far, including the story (markers, Unitology, etc). So...you apparently just don't like Dead Space story or gameplay.

And your comment about the environments is hilariously bad. It's not wrong cause it's your opinion, but it's a flat out bad opinion. Derelict ships, shut down offices, streets that make me think of some sort of Blade Runner esque future.

It's like you've never played a single Dead Space game and came into this expecting something completely different.

Just reached chapter 6.

There, I said it. It took me a while to accept it, but I'm 6 chapters in, and I'm not the slightest bit engaged with the story, I've found all the environments so far bland and dull, and not once has the gameplay wowed me. Where are te cool setpieces? The bosses?

Dead Space 3 is not a bad game by any means. But Dead Space 1 and 2 were incredible (in my opinion), and this doesn't hold a candle to them.

Sounds like you're playing a different game to the one I'm playing. D: The only thing lacking so far has been neat boss battles, I guess.

I've been waiting for the game to turn into this horrible disappointment that people say it is, it hasn't happened yet.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Use D3doverrider.

Hahaha WORKED!

Dont know why i didnt think about that sooner, considering i use D3dO for pretty much all my games.

The tearing broke my brain.
Loving the game so far, not a graphical powerhouse but some of the scenes are absolutely amazing, art direction is still top notch.

Gave it a rent last night, I'm playing on hard just because I don't want to have an excess of resources available. Right now I'm on Chapter 7, it's pretty fun so far. Not scary in the least bit although the gameplay still feels like classic Dead Space. It's making me want to replay the first two games when I get done.

Started co-op tonight, had a great time.

Everything is top notch, especially the sounds, loved the heartbeat effect in no atmosphere environments.

Up to chapter 5, spent like an hour and a half on chapter 4 just exploring.

Great work Visceral!

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Regarding the length I think it is time for me to eat some crow. This is what I said in the demo thread.

Well then.

Standard Save Slot 1 - 92,6% complete - 20:21:41

tjuah.gif

Solid! I forgot about this. Respect for the follow thru.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Oh, it's far from ruinous, but it is unfortunate.

I'm not really sure what a better solution would be, either, except perhaps for smaller stack numbers on clips.

I personally liked having the different ammo types in the previous games. Sometimes I was forced to change up one of my weapons because I was out of ammo. It forced me to use different weapons. And sometimes that made the game a lot more challenging. Which was fun.
Now I have free reign to use what ever I want. Which is good and bad.

I understand now how having the upper and lower tools means I can kinda combine some of the old weapons from the first two games. Which solves the issue with only having two slots for guns. Right now I'm using a sniper (seaker gun from DS2) with a 3 shot rocket launcher underneath. Very cool.

RedSwirl

Is it just me or is the PS3 version actually doing a decent job of upscaling to 1080p? My TV is telling me that I'm getting a 1080p signal while playing this game (and I know it doesn't do this for every game), and the jaggies honestly aren't that bad at all compared to most console games. Literally the only other PS3 game I've seen decently upscale a 720p renderer to a 1080p signal is FFXIII.

Anybody else wanna confirm this? Is there a DF up on the game yet?

Jarmel

Banned
Without spoiling which optional mission is the best/worst?

I enjoyed the optional ones in chapter 4.

Chapter 5 has the best with the Tower one, and there is the Barrack one as well which I think is Chapter 15 or 16. The rest aren't remotely as good and are just dungeons.

Grisby

Props to the team for still making this feel like an SP game. Yes, there are one or two odd cutscene moments where Carver just shows up and there is an oddly placed extra rappel station (I guess the necromorphs could always follow me up ala Jurassic park raptor turning a door handle) but overall it's done as well. As well as could be expected I think.

RedSwirl

Actually I'm hearing that both of the previous games also defaulted to 1080p on PS3. Wonder how they pull that off. If you ask me the DS games have had better PS3 versions than most.

RoKKeR

Just got to the end of Chapter 13
boss. Holy shit that guy was tough. It took me and my buddy quite a while to figure out how exactly to kill him. Another part to dread for Hardcare.

Just started Chapter 14, and hopefully we can finish it up tonight. I'm still really enjoying it!

Lima

Is it just me or is the PS3 version actually doing a decent job of upscaling to 1080p? My TV is telling me that I'm getting a 1080p signal while playing this game (and I know it doesn't do this for every game), and the jaggies honestly aren't that bad at all compared to most console games. Literally the only other PS3 game I've seen decently upscale a 720p renderer to a 1080p signal is FFXIII.

The picture, if upscaled on the ps3 to 1080p, looks kinda soft so I guess that helps with the jaggies.

RedSwirl

The picture, if upscaled on the ps3 to 1080p, looks kinda soft so I guess that helps with the jaggies.

Yeah it does (I tried forcing it once with Uncharted 2), but Dead Space seems to default to this if you're playing on a 1080p display. Also, I have sharpness all the way down so I guess I'm doing a lot to mitigate aliasing.

Muffdraul

It really depends on the TV. I remember when Dead Space 1 came out, for some reason it seemed like a lot of people learned about the whole 720p vs. 1080p thing on that specific game, and how on PS3 you can "force" 1080p on certain games. A bunch of people complained that when they forced it to 1080p it looked worse, soft and blurry... but then another bunch of people said no, it definitely looks at least slightly better. All I remember now is that it turned out that most of the people who thought it looked better at 1080p had Bravias.

Lima

Yeah well I just played the demo (so I can't speak for the full version) on PS3 at 1080p and the picture is definitely softer compared to the 360 version I'm playing now on my VT50.

So what's next. Classic, hardcore or pure survival? Think I'm gonna go with classic.

Game runs really well on my 4 year old ancient crapola laptop at 1080p30. Well done Visceral Games. Where's the PC performance thread?

The more actiony focus of the game put me off the game at first, I'm more used to the more measured pace of the 1st 2 games, but once I put that behind me, it's a solid game filled with its own charm. I guess they had to broaden that audience as per their bosses demands.

It's really a trend with the 3rd installments of EA games this gen. Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3 et. al. all turned into shoot bang games to chase that COD money.

EDIT:- There's some really nasty mouse smoothing in the menus which I didn't notice at first as I was using the 360 pad. Also the game stutters like mad if played in true full screen mode, which I mitigated by switching to borderless full screen mode.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Game runs really well on my 4 year old ancient crapola laptop at 1080p30. Well done Visceral Games. Where's the PC performance thread?

The more actiony focus of the game put me off the game at first, I'm more used to the more measured pace of the 1st 2 games, but once I put that behind me, it's a solid game filled with its own charm. I guess they had to broaden that audience as per their bosses demands.

It's really a trend with the 3rd installments of EA games this gen. Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3 et. al. all turned into shoot bang games to chase that COD money.

Theres no need for a PC performance thread.
This game essentially runs at 200 some fps on anything above a GTX4xx.
Changing the shadow setting is so far the only thing ive seen stress out ~4 year old hardware when attempting to run at 60+fps.

Its performance footprint is ridiculously low at 30fps, i dont think anyone needs a performance thread.

P.S What other games has EA done that the third game turned into a shooter?

Doomrider

Chapter 5 has the best with the Tower one, and there is the Barrack one as well which I think is Chapter 15 or 16. The rest aren't remotely as good and are just dungeons.

I loved the one in the barracks. That text log, holy shit. Really good stuff.

------
My random thoughts on DS3.

So, having beat this, I have to say that I was wrong in my judgement of the demo, or rather, the demo really is a poor way to judge the game. The demo is a piece of shit, actually. It doesn't represent what the game is about at all, even though most of the individual elements that comprise it are present.

The game, on the other hand, is pretty good. Until the last third, that is. From that point on, the brain-dead enemy encounters suck all the fun out of it. It's like Dead Space 2's ending segment all over again, except you can't run away in many cases and the enemies all had a speed upgrade. I also didn't care for the melodramatics. I was expecting more of the dynamic Isaac and Ellie had in 2, which made both of them more easily likeable. I can't say the story satisfied me.

With that out of the way, loved the existence of side-missions, the graphics, the controls, the early semi-open section (this was a really cool idea), the way the different kinds of enemies were spread out across the game (even if they didn't require a change in strategy), the fact that it's all in real-time, the beautiful vistas, the prologue... There's a lot of good stuff in this game. It feels less focused than DS2, but that's because of their different nature, I suppose.

I was completely wrong about the the shootouts, which are very infrequent and even when they happen, very brief. I was also wrong in thinking that the game needs a mechanic overhaul. It felt familiar enough, but fresh enough, thanks to side-missions and the more open nature of the first third of the game. I love being wrong!

Now I feel like replaying Extraction.

P.S. - Russian Circles on DS2 and now Pelican? Such good musical taste does not go by unnoticed, I assure you! What's next, Jesu?

RoKKeR

Yeah well I just played the demo (so I can't speak for the full version) on PS3 at 1080p and the picture is definitely softer compared to the 360 version I'm playing now on my VT50.

So what's next. Classic, hardcore or pure survival? Think I'm gonna go with classic.
Hardcore is the last thing you should do so you know the boss battles, enemy encounters, etc. I'm going to start Classic mode next.

Lima

Can we please stop pretending like DS1 and 2 weren't shooters. I can't take this shit anymore.

Hardcore is the last thing you should do so you know the boss battles, enemy encounters, etc. I'm going to start Classic mode next.

I made notes on my iPad as I played through the game. Basically every time I died I have written down the location and chapter.

Anival

Banned
So is this worth buying? I've seen so many mixed veiws I can't decide. I loved DeadSpace and DeadSpace 2. I never thought of them as scary but the atmosphere was really good with the other two games.

Boulayman

It really depends on the TV. I remember when Dead Space 1 came out, for some reason it seemed like a lot of people learned about the whole 720p vs. 1080p thing on that specific game, and how on PS3 you can "force" 1080p on certain games. A bunch of people complained that when they forced it to 1080p it looked worse, soft and blurry... but then another bunch of people said no, it definitely looks at least slightly better. All I remember now is that it turned out that most of the people who thought it looked better at 1080p had Bravias.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the game so you might be able to help me. I really enjoyed Dead Space 1 and 2 ( never got to play extraction sadly, lent my dead space 2 to a friend as soon as I finished it and never saw the game again anyway) so I was looking forward to 3 but I played the demo and I really didn't like it. At all. I thought the setting had potential given the whole The Thing homage (and I love the homage) but the demo not only didn't scare me but it didn't entertain me and genuinely annoyed me. Should I pass on the third one then ?

Edit: I just saw doomrider post actually that answered my question quite well

Muffdraul

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the game so you might be able to help me. I really enjoyed Dead Space 1 and 2 ( never got to play extraction sadly, lent my dead space 2 to a friend as soon as I finished it and never saw the game again anyway) so I was looking forward to 3 but I played the demo and I really didn't like it. At all. I thought the setting had potential given the whole The Thing homage (and I love the homage) but the demo not only didn't scare me but it didn't entertain me and genuinely annoyed me. Should I pass on the third one then ?

Edit: I just saw doomrider post actually that answered my question quite well

He probably said what I would have said anyway, I definitely agree that the demo didn't do a great job of representing the game. Anyway I just posted a review at Amazon, under D.K. Malone.

Grisby

So is this worth buying? I've seen so many mixed veiws I can't decide. I loved DeadSpace and DeadSpace 2. I never thought of them as scary but the atmosphere was really good with the other two games.
I've got about 5 or 6 chapters left and am approaching the 13-14 hr mark I think. Might be even higher.

Most of that time has been fun and I plan on running through it again with a co-op partner. There's still some decent atmosphere and the gun experimenting is a lot of fun (rocking a shotgun that fires acid, attached with a bottom flamethrower). I think if you loved DS1 and 2 you'll have a decent time here. I would say it's the weakest of the 3 so far but hey, compared to other games that still makes DS3 an above average title.

Doomrider

He probably said what I would have said anyway, I definitely agree that the demo didn't do a great job of representing the game. Anyway I just posted a review at Amazon, under D.K. Malone.

Just read it and I also relied on the plasma cutter for the great majority of the game, only briefly experimenting with other weapons. I also realize that I never used the dodge roll in combat situations. Didn't remember it during the heat of the moment, I guess.

DS2 is still my favorite (shit is relentless) and DS1 still has the best storytelling in the series. Or is that Extraction? Hm.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So does anyone else think there will be another Dead Space game or does this conclude the series?

Just finished DS3 on Hard mode full co-op playthrough. Did all but one optional mission along the way (missed it).

A bit of my ... thoughts/review of Dead Space 3.

Im a pretty big DS fan in general. Read all the novels, watched all the movies, own all the graphic novel comics, and have full 1000G in both DS1 and DS2. Going into this game I was really worried seeing the game's media and demo, and feared it would be a RE5 of the Dead Space franchise... but I gave Visceral games a pass since they hadn't let me down before.

Unfortunately I'm reaaaaallly disappointed with this game. Visceral I think dropped the ball big time, and this was a horrendous experience on almost every level.

First up, the story. Wow. What the hell is going on? So many plot holes to begin with, and not to mention the
weird love triangle?
. Questionable character behaviour like Ellie
hating you for killing her BF, but then being ok with you killing the black woman??
. Every five minutes you are being separated from main group via some monster crashing into some scaffolding or breaking an elevator.

The first game had a big sense of wonder behind it, even the second too. "where am i, whats going on? can anyone help me get outta here? Whats this unitology/marker?". The coop aspect really breaks the atmosphere and mood that you are alone and have an impossible task ahead of you.

Gameplay is really crap too. It wasnt anything special to begin with, but now that you have virtually limitless ammo/health it kind of makes the entire survival and challenge aspect diminished to the point of shooting everything anytime you want.

Not to mention the environments you do fight in are REUSED SO OFTEN. Recycled assets, dungeons and lairs, you will literally see the SAME BUNKER FIVE TIMES at least. The same dungeon that is on one of the ships in outer space is on the planet below. Really lazy job there.

The reuse of environments really doesnt help differentiate the chapters or give a sense of discovering new locations like the first two games.

The bosses (or lack there of) was not a welcome sight. DS1 imo did boss fights right, challenging and gave a unique stamp on the levels.

HOLY CRAP the elevators/doors. After you spend a few hours on Tau Volentus you will begin to realise this game should have been called "Elevator Space 3". I think you spend as much time going up and down elevators and waiting for doors as you do fighting enemies.

The scariness factor was also at an all time low. I don't honestly believe they even tried in this department. Much like RE5, capcom just gave up on that aspect. But what RE5 had going for it, imo, was that it was a decent shooter and had fun bosses to fight coop. This game does not, and feels tedious just moving from one room to the next clearing bodies and waiting for an elevator.

I still think Dead Space (1) was the direct sequel/evolution to RE4. Im a RE purist so I actually vastly prefer classic RE, but can still appreciate Action Horror RE4/DS style. This game and RE5 however (never bothered with RE6) really just dudebro shootbang it up and ditch that horror completely... all while dumbing down gameplay and making things super easy.

So in all, as a mega Dead Space fanboy I'd give this game a 5.5/10. Visceral couldn't have made this game any worse honestly... and I gave them the benefit of the doubt by buying this game even after hating the demo and the trailers simply because they hadn't let me down yet. And really I do love their dev studio but my god this game is a pile of shit. I really doubt ill ever get DS4 or whatever else comes into the DS universe after playing this monumental disappointment. Much like RE5 killed the RE franchise for me, I think DS3 did the equivalent deathblow.

I'd give this game a 5.5/10. Visceral couldn't have made this game any worse honestly...

Just reached chapter 6.

I thought DS2 was great, if this is much worse than I'm glad I haven't played it yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Only reason why im not pissed off i bought this on release is because i used a gift card and got it for 10 dolla and also got 20$ of credit which will go toward a game offering another 20$ credit.

colt45joe

Banned
there are not nearly as many elevators in ds3 as there were in ds 2.

overall, this game is the same, and in some ways better than 2.

Lima

So does anyone else think there will be another Dead Space game or does this conclude the series?

Well if the whole "needs 5 million copies sold to keep the series alive" thing from last year still stands, yeah I think the series is done. I sadly don't think it can reach this number.

+1

I am about 2 hours in and bored to tears :(

Dunno if it gets better, but I know I don't want to spend another 10 hours to find out.

Actual tears, huh? I am loving it just about as much as the second part and will be saddened if it all stops here, though I will fight back those same tears in light of your dramatic episode.

Top-notch once again, Visceral. I always nurse the first playthrough and am about half way and it just keeps getting better. Feels just like it should with some fresh enhancements. Dead Space remains one of two series that will forever define this generation for me. I would like more when you have a chance.

ezekial45

Banned
got a few questions;

- What do I do with Peng? Do I just sell it?
- I'm on the chapter
at the alien ruins
and I haven't encountered this Archeology optional mission that I've heard so much about. In fact, when I went on the tram, the Archeology site was locked. Did I miss something?

got a few questions;

- What do I do with Peng? Do I just sell it?
- I'm on the chapter
at the alien ruins
and I haven't encountered this Archeology optional mission that I've heard so much about. In fact, when I went on the tram, the Archeology site was locked. Did I miss something?

it's coop only

Beat the game on hard a few days ago and want to do an impossible playthough with a friend so I can play the coop missions/experience
Carver's hallucinations

Can I use new game plus mode and still play with my friend given he just bought the game? Will I still get the impossible circuit unlock?

Edit: are the MK II overclocked parts and mega resource deposit worth going through pure survival mode?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Well if the whole "needs 5 million copies sold to keep the series alive" thing from last year still stands, yeah I think the series is done. I sadly don't think it can reach this number.
That's such B.S. They don't need to sell 5 million copies. After this game, I want more but want it for the next-gen. This game would look amazing on the PS4720!

Edit: BTW, is this Limited Edition really a limited edition? So after a couple months it will become a "regular edition"? It's silly to ask but The Darkness 2 was a Limited Edition when it first came out and over a year later, it's still a Limited Edition.

Replicant

Question: can you do the co-op mission with randoms? Otherwise how the fuck are you meant to do it? Most of my online friends live on different time zones. So the likelihood that they'll be playing Dead Space 3 at the same time as I do is slim to none.

Lima

I like how you get special circuits for collecting the various artifacts etc. I would have collected them all for the achievement anyway but it is nice that you get something other than an achievement out of it. Most games don't do this these days.

Question: can you do the co-op mission with randoms? Otherwise how the fuck are you meant to do it? Most of my online friends live on different time zones. So the likelihood that they'll be playing Dead Space 3 at the same time as I do is slim to none.

You can. You can even use chapter select to make a public lobby that starts right at the coop mission even if you haven't beat it yet.

Top Bottom