• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Kak.efes

So what's everybody's weapon of choice? I'm really liking javelin with repeater tip top tool, and ripper with the electricity attachment bottom tool. I'm ripping, and pinning everything to walls. It's great.

My second weapon is a chain gun, with the force gun and acid attachment. I prefer not to use military style weapons in a game like this, but they sort of force you to once the enemies get faster and stronger. I don't remember that ever being the case in the first two games.

So what's everybody's weapon of choice? I'm really liking javelin with repeater tip top tool, and ripper with the electricity attachment bottom tool. I'm ripping, and pinning everything to walls. It's great.

My second weapon is a chain gun, with the force gun and acid attachment. I prefer not to use military style weapons in a game like this, but they sort of force you to once the enemies get faster and stronger. I don't remember that ever being the case in the first two games.

Right now I'm rocking a Bolas Gun with the Lower Tool as the Survey Detonation Charges. My other weapon is a rifle with a Galvanized Tip and a Shotgun which somehow set my enemies on fire.

I am unstoppable.

RoKKeR

Right now I'm rocking a Bolas Gun with the Lower Tool as the Survey Detonation Charges. My other weapon is a rifle with a Galvanized Tip and a Shotgun which somehow set my enemies on fire.

I am unstoppable.

I'm the same, but using a Force Gun on the bottom of my Bolas. It is godly.

Lima

Just completed the first two chapters on my classic run. Having played through on Impossible the first time I just point and laugh at the enemies. Feels like I'm playing on normal even though it is supposed to be hard difficulty.

I also liked chapter 1 more this time around.

What's different with classic aiming vs center?

Instead of a standard reticle you get the traditional Dead Space holographic lines that aim at an enemy. I went my first playthough not using it and regret it. If you played RE6 it's a similar laser sight vs standard reticle situation.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'd like some of what you're having. Seriously. I think I'm in Chapter 9 and this game is Dead Space to the core so far, including the story (markers, Unitology, etc). So...you apparently just don't like Dead Space story or gameplay.

And your comment about the environments is hilariously bad. It's not wrong cause it's your opinion, but it's a flat out bad opinion. Derelict ships, shut down offices, streets that make me think of some sort of Blade Runner esque future.

It's like you've never played a single Dead Space game and came into this expecting something completely different.

this is so defensive. imagine someone you met in real life had the same grievances with the game, is this how you would actually respond?

Mike M

Nick N
Instead of a standard reticle you get the traditional Dead Space halographic lines that aim at an enemy. I went my first playthough not using it and regret it. If you played RE6 it's a similar laser sight vs standard reticle situation.

!!!!

Why the fuck is that off by default?! That was one of the defining looks of the series.

Turning that shit on ASAP

this is so defensive. imagine someone you met in real life had the same grievances with the game, is this how you would actually respond?

I don't think anyone's opinion should be attacked, but I'm finding myself also baffled by comments that the game lacks atmosphere or is too action driven. I'm 6+ hours in and the game has been almost nothing but the things that some people are claiming that it lacks. I literally feel like I'm playing a completely different game than some. It isn't scary but I didn't think the first two were either. I don't consider manipulative jump scares scary. I do however totally commend the atmosphere, music, and attention to detail which, as a horror fan, are things that actually keep me absorbed rather than jump scares and boogeymen with glowing eyes. I think Visceral has did a fantastic job with the game. My only problem as I think I've stated before are how absurd most of the enemy encounters are. There are too enemies per encounter I think and a lot of times they feel like they're just simply spawning right behind you no matter where you are.

somedevil

I'll just say this about the series is the boss fights rankings are 1>2>3. They also did the impossible by making the final boss in 3 easier then the one in Dead Space 2.

btw, I'm completely lost on what kind of weapons I should be making. I don't really have any kind of preferred play style, I just want to know what some good builds are. I get the weapon crafting, I'm just not sure what's "good" or "bad."

I don't think anyone's opinion should be attacked, but I'm finding myself also baffled by comments that the game lacks atmosphere or is too action driven. I'm 6+ hours in and the game has been almost nothing but the things that some people are claiming that it lacks. I literally feel like I'm playing a completely different game than some. It isn't scary but I didn't think the first two were either. I don't consider manipulative jump scares scary. I do however totally commend the atmosphere, music, and attention to detail which, as a horror fan, are things that actually keep me absorbed rather than jump scares and boogeymen with glowing eyes. I think Visceral has did a fantastic job with the game. My only problem as I think I've stated before are how absurd most of the enemy encounters are. There are too enemies per encounter I think and a lot of times they feel like they're just simply spawning right behind you no matter where you are.

Well, once you get going you literally know exactly when the enemies are going to pop out and where. Especially when the same dungeon is reused about five times. Thats the lack of atmosphere thats going on. It begins to feel like OPEN DOOR - STAND STILL - SHOOT ENEMIES - GET ITEMS - GO TO SINGLE ELEVATOR/DOOR, Rinse Repeat. The environments have little to no variety, unlike DS2 which I thought did a wonderful job of mixing it up, despite being on a space station. These factors degrade atmosphere.

To be fair I didnt think the first two games were scary either by any means. But they TRIED to be. This game doesn't even make an attempt. The amazing lighting and eeriness of the previous games chapters is sorely absent about halfway through the game with the interior portions of the snow planet and the surface itself. Both begin to feel very drab and blend together.

Grisby

Dammit. I think ch15 has been the lowest part of the game for me.

SUPER MEGA SPOILERS FOLLOW:

So on the subject of story
I think VIsceral blew Ellies death. Her death could have been a great setup but they made the fire spread so quickly that I died three times trying to get out of that room and in the following hallway. Killed any moment that might have been there.

Further on in the chapter things go all
tits up on the repelling section. I thought it was fun until I got down near the end of the first floor and proceeded to get gangbanged by all of the craweler wall jump necros. I died 3 times before figuering out that they just kept respqning.

The whole part to me just felt sloppy.

!!!!

Why the fuck is that off by default?! That was one of the defining looks of the series.

Turning that shit on ASAP

I'm really not sure why they do it, Dead Space 2 did the same thing, standard reticule by default with an option to set it to classic buried in settings. I wonder if it slightly effects some element of performance or if it's something they found people preferred in focus testing or something. Wouldn't mind some insight from Visceral (codecow?) on that one.

Appreciate that they kept the og reticule style in both games as an option anyway.

How does new game plus work in this game at all?

Can I carry anything over playthrough to playthrough on my path to beating hardcore or survival or do i have to start fresh everytime?

Lima

Rocking that classic DS1 engineer suit during classic mode looks so boss.

Can I carry anything over playthrough to playthrough on my path to beating hardcore or survival or do i have to start fresh everytime?

No. New game+ is just that. Carry over all upgrades and shit over to a second playthrough on any of the 4 base difficulties.

Hardcore, classic and pure survival are new game+ modes in the sense that they have to be unlocked by completing the game on any difficulty first, but you start fresh in all three of them.

There are four different modes in the new game + section.

New game plus which is basically what you'd expect, can do a 2nd playthough on any difficulty you want with all your unlocks, logs, suits, etc kept and ready to use. Don't believe there is any special unlocks for beating it.

The next three modes mentioned require you to start fresh, as if playing for the first time. All of them use the hard mode difficulty as a base.

Then there's classic mode which makes it so that you can only use blueprints for weapons included in previous versions of the series. So basically, Plasma gun, ripper, flamethrower, etc. Can't attach acid to your pistol or a shotgun to your flamethrower. It also from what I can tell so far severely cuts the amount of found medpacks. The unlock for it is the foam gun 2.0. Similar but with a new reload animation.

The third mode is Pure Survival where you have to craft your own ammo and medpacks, enemies drop none of that. You unlock some special crafting toolkits.

Finally is hardcore mode which is just hard mode with the added element of your save being deleted if you die. Seems nigh impossible to do from my point of view given the buggy rappelling and jetbook sequences but it is what it is. Retro Mode is also one of the coolest unlocks I've ever seen in a game.

Thank you for that. I was looking for a detailed explanation of all the modes.

I love that this series has carried on the RE4 like weapon upgrading, but i hate the idea of losing it all everytime i want to start a new mode.

I know why they make you start clean, but honestly, because of that i doubt i will touch survival, much less hardcore.

On a side note, what % of stuff do you manage to build before the game ends? Is it the kind of thing where only 4 or so guns will reach max like the last one? Should you focus or is there generally enough materials to experiment and have fun upgrading with them all?

Lima

On a side note, what % of stuff do you manage to build before the game ends? Is it the kind of thing where only 4 or so guns will reach max like the last one? Should you focus or is there generally enough materials to experiment and have fun upgrading with them all?

If you make good use of your resource bots you will have more than enough resources to built everything you want. You can also use the weapon arena found in the menu to try out new things before crafting them in the story so you don't have to waste your resources on stuff that sucks.

RoKKeR

I want to buy one of the DLC weapons/suits, but I'm not sure which. I think the Marauder suit looks the best but I'm unsure about the weapons. Any advice?

I used the shotgun/miltary energizer combination that came with the pre-order LE and a plasma gun throughout the entire game
with the exception of the section where you have to use that awful radar gun thing
. Obviously changed status effects and frames every now and again, acid is quite an amusing effect and I like It's visual nature. Changed the upgrade chips very often as well. Stasis coating is probably the way to go though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Major spoiler question that goes back to DS2.

Is it mentioned anywhere in DS3 what happened to Lexine? She had a major role in Extraction and a role in Severed in DS2. She was immune to the Marker and a lot of parties wanted her. What's the whole deal with her? Was anything mentioned in DS3 concerning Lexine?

Maybe we need a spoiler thread. Heh.

Mupod

Major spoiler question that goes back to DS2.

Is it mentioned anywhere in DS3 what happened to Lexine? She had a major role in Extraction and a role in Severed in DS2. She was immune to the Marker and a lot of parties wanted her. What's the whole deal with her? Was anything mentioned in DS3 concerning Lexine?

Maybe we need a spoiler thread. Heh.

There already is a spoiler thread. And we don't know yet.

SystemBug

I beat the game and I have to say I'm quiet impressed by it.

The way it handles side quests is pretty cool and weapon crafting works way better than I thought it would.

The first half is great - classic Dead Space horror. It felt more inline with the original Dead Space than Dead Space 2 did.

Things only do begin to fall near the end though.

It's something that I wasn't expecting so that's a plus but the game started getting too repetitive but I guess that's was problem with the other Dead Space titles as well.

Mupod

Dammit. I think ch15 has been the lowest part of the game for me.

SUPER MEGA SPOILERS FOLLOW:

So on the subject of story
I think VIsceral blew Ellies death. Her death could have been a great setup but they made the fire spread so quickly that I died three times trying to get out of that room and in the following hallway. Killed any moment that might have been there.

My friend actually somehow died from it in the middle of the cutscene. We were laughing so hard afterwards that we died again before getting out.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
I'm really not sure why they do it, Dead Space 2 did the same thing, standard reticule by default with an option to set it to classic buried in settings. I wonder if it slightly effects some element of performance or if it's something they found people preferred in focus testing or something. Wouldn't mind some insight from Visceral (codecow?) on that one.

Appreciate that they kept the og reticule style in both games as an option anyway.

Simple. Center screen aiming is more intuitive, and it's how the majority of shooters work. There were people who didn't like or didn't play DS1 because the aiming and shooting felt "weird." By changing it to center screen we got more people to feel comfortable in the game (which already has some complicated controls like stasis/TK).

And then, by keeping Classic Aiming as an option, we don't upset any existing fans.

As the art guy, I missed the lasers playing across the surface. It was a subject of much debate in the studio what to do, but I think it was the right move.

JRW

Man I really need to get more exciting weapons lol.. Ive had the same weapons since the start, I'm on chapter 6 with a standard Submachine gun & upgraded Elite Planet Cracker (given to you at the first bench if it detects a Dead Space 2 profile), I think there's a Line Gun in the safe which I haven't even used yet in this game.

jediyoshi

I'd like some of what you're having. Seriously. I think I'm in Chapter 9 and this game is Dead Space to the core so far, including the story (markers, Unitology, etc). So...you apparently just don't like Dead Space story or gameplay.

Perhaps he's limiting it to just the Dead Space games in which I'm not exactly sure taking cover from dudes shooting guns at you and people constantly getting up in your grill were ever part of the equation.

RoKKeR

Got a co-op mission question. We're in Chapter 14 and the "Marker Containment" mission is giving it a hard time.
On Carver's third vision/breakdown we are aging a hard time knowing what do. He thinks he has to destroy the marker in his vision but is having no success.
What are we missing?

Dead

well not really...yet

I just recently got the Bolas Gun and that thing is a beast. Bolas traps on the floor = necro-stew

Lima

Classic mode rocks. Plasma cutter and force gun for life yo. Anyone on 360 that wants to play the coop specific stuff?

RoKKeR

Classic mode rocks. Plasma cutter and force gun for life yo. Anyone on 360 that wants to play the coop specific stuff?
Explain the appeal of the force gun to me, because I don't see it yet.

Also, random difficulty spike in the Chapter 14 side mission? What the hell was that? The enemies with the pick axes (name?) were hard as hell to kill, and we had to play much more carefully. (on hard) Did anybody rake experience this?

Played the first chapter on normal difficulty last night. And the game is raining health packs at me. Is it like that in the rest of the chapters as well? If so i might go ahead and start on the hard difficulty.

RoKKeR

Played the first chapter on normal difficulty last night. And the game is raining health packs at me. Is it like that in the rest of the chapters as well? If so i might go ahead and start on the hard difficulty.
Normal is extremely easy in DS3. My friend and I have been going through on hard and it's hardly been "hard". Plenty of resources and ammo.

Explain the appeal of the force gun to me, because I don't see it yet.

Also, random difficulty spike in the Chapter 14 side mission? What the hell was that? The enemies with the pick axes (name?) were hard as hell to kill, and we had to play much more carefully. (on hard) Did anybody rake experience this?

It's a nice early game solution to crowd control, and isn't a bad idea against some of the late groups as it's blast isn't quite avoidable like shotgun/bolos shots. The big downside other than insignificant damage and range is that Lurkers and legless enemies aren't affected. But a force gun combined with a bolos/carbine/shotgun isn't a horrible choice.

The necrotic Wasters are tough as nails. Evangelizer shotgun took 3-5 rounds to kill them and bolos gun rounds don't phase them often (anchored rounds are awesome against them though). That last fight where there was no way to funnel them due to the crazy vent placement was unbelievable. I would have killed for having a partner in that section. [Impossible difficulty]

The side missions typically spike the difficulty, with Comm Tower [Ch.6] and the Disposal Facility [Ch. 14] being the worst.

Normal is extremely easy in DS3. My friend and I have been going through on hard and it's hardly been "hard". Plenty of resources and ammo.

Okay, i've been playing coop as well. I will change it to hard. Normal is way too easy and actually i am kinda person who plays survival horror games on normal difficulties. This game's normal seems to be easy, i mean i finished Dead Space 1 and 2 on normal (haven't finished 2 yet) and those were much harder than this. Especially on some parts.

Tacitus_

Heh, the loading screens and the taxi screens indicate that the DS universe has discovered the Improbability Drive... and the current Improbability is at 42.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
"Origin Achievements", something that was announced in 2011, and mentioned again in 2012.

deadspace32013-02-091fzxne.png

Zampano

What is EA grossness? Please explain. I don't understand any of this.

Microtransactions/publisher marketing decisions over dev creativity seems to have upset a lot of people. But the reactions in this thread sound really positive.

Has anyone done a detailed comparison of the difference between Soft Shadows, Soft Shadows High, and High? I get a steady 60 with High Shadows and Soft but 45-60 with soft shadows high. Keep in mind I'm downsampling from 3200 x 1800 with everything else at max and SMAA.|

Also: want to switch weapons up and have practically unlimited materials. What are the best/most ridiculous blueprint weapons?

Top Bottom