• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

def sim

Meh, having literally just finished up a fresh run of DS2 this morning with the DLC, it's in the 1-2 hour range depending on difficulty and play style. I played on Zealot, and I also play slow and steady, making sure to kill everything and collecting resources before moving on. My playtime for Severed was about 1hr 30-odd minutes.

It's only 2 chapters though, and re-uses alot of environments from the main campaign and one of the multiplayer maps.

That all sounds fine, I'm just bummed about the price versus length. Though it's not much money at all and is mostly about the principle.

S1kkZ

Yeah, this game is Dead Space through and through. It's more open than the previous two and it really doesn't focus as much on action as people claim it does. At this point I'm not sure if it's better than DS1, but it's definitely better than 2 in most ways.

i agree with this. sadly, they use the more open areas as an excuse for backtracking. but i still prefer that over the set-piece heavy, "unchartified" ds 2.

S1kkZ

i love the ar82 (i think its called that in the german version). its a machine gun that uses spears. every spear slows the enemy down with stasis and if they come to close, you use the force gun which also has a stasis effect.

once i got that gun, the game was super easy (and amazing, since i felt really powerful).

It's really a matter of personal opinion on the whole matter. Myself, I am never bothered by DLC stuff, and I can tune it out if it doesn't interest me. Others are more picky and would prefer not to see it at all, and others still see it as the harbinger of the apocalypse.

Well, you give 3 example reactions there, 'not bothered', 'annoyed', and 'harbinger of the apocalypse'. My point would be that, if there's no one who ever has the reaction 'Yay this is good!', then why does it matter where we are on the scale of how bad it is?

Basically, if nothing good can come of it, is that not reason enough for us to be against it's inclusion? Arguing over where it is on the 'badness' scale seems to be academic at that point.

Lima

i love the ar82 (i think its called that in the german version). its a machine gun that uses spears. every spear slows the enemy down with stasis and if they come to close, you use the force gun which also has a stasis effect.

once i got that gun, the game was super easy (and amazing, since i felt really powerful).

Yup. Bought that gun around chapter 13 during my first run on Impossible I think. Put some better parts on it and never died a single time after. Even the side mission in chapter 14 was super easy because of it. What I did was swapping the stasis effect for the ammo auto reload thing when the clip was empty because it burns through the primary fire fast.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Coolio, thanks!

Give us updates please. Would like to hear if it actually is possible with how the enemies rush you in this game.
We have had others in the thread not have a good time with starting on impossible. That's why I'm curious.

Best of luck!

Lima

Give us updates please. Would like to hear if it actually is possible with how the enemies rush you in this game.
We have had others in the thread not have a good time with starting on impossible. That's why I'm curious.

Best of luck!

You always gotta bring a weapon that makes you able to push the enemies back. So something with a shotgun or force gun as a secondary. Once you know that the game becomes super easy like DS1 and 2 became when using the force gun. I upgraded the thing in DS2 and you could literally just wait until the enemies are right in front of you and blast them to bits.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You always gotta bring a weapon that makes you able to push the enemies back. So something with a shotgun or force gun as a secondary. Once you know that the game becomes super easy like DS1 and 2 became when using the force gun. I upgraded the thing in DS2 and you could literally just wait until the enemies are right in front of you and blast them to bits.

I've never used the force gun much but that's an awesome pointer. Will def consider for my impossible run.

eshwaaz

Despite the mixed reviews and my own pre-release skepticism and concerns, I'm enjoying DS3 a lot. I'm only in Chapter 5 so there's a long way to go, and I know general consensus is that the first half is better than the second half. There are certainly aspects I'm not happy about, but as a fan of the first two games I'm having great fun so far.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ohhhh, so ration seals are in-game currency used to buy some of the DLC stuff?

I hadn't figured out what they were either. Guess I'll be spending that shit now.

Just finished all 10. Optional missions are atricious. Talk about Dragon 2 esque copy and paste method of level design. Ugh.

Yeah, this game is Dead Space through and through. It's more open than the previous two and it really doesn't focus as much on action as people claim it does. At this point I'm not sure if it's better than DS1, but it's definitely better than 2 in most ways.

Have put 25 hrs in DS3. IMO, it doesn't come close to the first two games.

Hagi

Just finished it on normal just under 11 hours. God damn Ellie is annoying, total 180 from DS2. Tbh i think the ending was pretty pants. Game fell apart rather spectacularly about 2/3 the way through.

S1kkZ

Just finished all 10. Optional missions are atricious. Talk about Dragon 2 esque copy and paste method of level design. Ugh.

only did the first 2, that was more than enough...
terrible missions, only reason to go through them is loot and weapon parts.

and btw: ellie! ELLIE! ELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE!!! is the new "maria!"

Hagi

only did the first 2, that was more than enough...
terrible missions, only reason to go through them is loot and weapon parts.

and btw: ellie! ELLIE! ELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE!!! is the new "maria!"

I found; it's for the mission! THE MISSION!!! THE MISSION ISAAC!!!! way more annoying.

OK, hoarding tungsten and not upgrading anything for like 4 chapters was worth it, because the Intimid8r is pretty awesome. Highly recommended.

Jarmel

Banned

I warned people. The only ones worth doing are the Tower and Barracks. They really did abuse the C&P level design as well. One time I actually thought I was lost because it looked too similar.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I warned people. The only ones worth doing are the Tower and Barracks. They really did abuse the C&P level design as well. One time I actually thought I was lost because it looked too similar.

Avoid a mission? I'm a video game? Have you not heard of OCD?
Bring on every copy and paste mission!

Can I have some more please?

Still loving this game. Black Gollum guys don't like acid baths much. :)

Side note: been reading the latest dead space novel, Catalyst, and it's pretty darn good.

Not directly related to DS3, but if you dig the fiction around DS it's definitely worth a read.

nel e nel

Yeah, I always rolled with plasma cutter and force gun, so I plan on crafting some sort of crowd control weapon to compliment my planet cracker.

The DS2 run I just finished up today was on my silver account (hey, I like getting achievements, sue me!), so I didn't have any unlocks except from the CE, Severed and my DS1 saves. I also artificially handicapped myself and didn't use any of CE weapons or suits until I had found a schematic that had the same armor/inventory slots. It was definitely challenging, and I found that I died in parts that I didn't the first 3 times I played through it, but it was still fun. If anything, the higher difficulty really upped the feeling of survivalness

I've only just gotten to the first crafting bench, but already I can tell this will be challenging, but in a fun way. I see what folks are saying about the 'health bars', but honestly, after having just come off a Zealot run, it's not unusual for a leg to take 2-3 shots before it detaches, especially early in the game.

steven28

I played up to chapter 5 last night on hard difficulty and i'm really liking the game so far.I actually liked chapter 1
the earth section
i thought the design of the environment was very cool and i found the moment when isaac
slowed the traffic and caused a huge accident
really funny..plus there is the ellie situation..nothing goes right for the dude.Very good game so far.

nel e nel

That all sounds fine, I'm just bummed about the price versus length. Though it's not much money at all and is mostly about the principle.

Meh, it's less than a movie and about the same length, not that that is meant to be a convincing argument.

But between Severed, Ignition and the iOS game, it was really fun to see all these concurrent storylines and how they overlapped/fed into each other.

nel e nel

Well, you give 3 example reactions there, 'not bothered', 'annoyed', and 'harbinger of the apocalypse'. My point would be that, if there's no one who ever has the reaction 'Yay this is good!', then why does it matter where we are on the scale of how bad it is?

Does EA count as someone going 'Yay!'?

jrcbandit

Just got in the Art of Dead Space today and I was not disappointed. Great art, definitely worth it for a fan of the series.

As for DS3, I really wish the love triangle thing was really toned down, as Norton is just god awful annoying, acting like he is in high school, while everyone else is trying to save the galaxy. The plot line would have been much better served if he instead was initially just acting protective of Ellie like a big brother and then slowly went insane from Marker influence, blaming Isaac for everything. As it is, I am not nearly enjoying the 2nd half of the game as much because of Norton's nonsense and Ellie's response to it.

I'm stuck in a room in an optional mission in chapter 6 (
where some guy holed himself up and has set up ambushes and booby traps
). The room has been locked down, and a bunch of enemies appeared. I killed them, and the room is still in quarantine. I can't find any terminals on the walls to override, as was the case in an earlier lockdown room.

EDIT: Never mind; I'm out.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm stuck in a room in an optional mission in chapter 6 (
where some guy holed himself up and has set up ambushes and booby traps
). The room has been locked down, and a bunch of enemies appeared. I killed them, and the room is still in quarantine. I can't find any terminals on the walls to override, as was the case in an earlier lockdown room.

On the lower floor, there's a box with some nodes you need to rotate with kinesis to complete a circuit. Be on the look out for a cluster of glowing blue circles in the darkness.

JJD

I've read somewhere that Ration Seals are bugged, can someone confirm this?

It seems that if you buy an Epic kit for 60 ration seals you'll get the same contents of a Ultra kit which goes for just 30 seals.

I have more than 700 Ration Seals and I don't want to waste then (playing on the PS3 by the way).

Just finished the game. Credits rolled and everything.

Ok, so my thoughts...

That was awesome. I'm gonna break this down though.

Pros:

Art Direction: The Visceral art team is just astounding, and it shows in the game. Combined with the great visuals, the game just looks gorgeous. I could break down my highlights chapter by chapter, but that'd be a really long list. But I loved the art direction all throughout, from the grimy Blade Runner style future colony to the cold emptiness of space among the dead fleet, the sky on Tau Volantis, the aurora, to the creepy
Lovecraftian city below the surface (really letting your Dante's Inferno influence bleed through, huh?
. Just splendid. I'd play a game that had no combat, just floating around in space and exploring long-dead alien worlds. Some of the vibes of The Thing were great.

Combat: The combat is fucking tight. There's a certain sick joy in the violence in this game. The controls are smooth and responsive and I never once had an issue with controls.

Sound: Sound design is great as always. I had headphones on, and the Necro sounds never fail to unnerve me when I can't actually see them. The soundtrack for the game is pretty great too. Voice actors are solid all across the board. Gunner Wright does a great job again as Isaac.

Story/Atmosphere: Yeah, I liked the story. I think I will have to play through co-op though to see if I get the full view of everything, but it's a pretty good extension from Dead Space 2. I have some misgivings about specific parts of the story, but I really enjoyed it overall. The game takes on a much more space horror adventure film vibe compared to the psychological horror of the past two games, but I don't mind. I actually liked it. It's an adventure instead of a struggle to survive, but this actually shifts quite a few things. I'll elucidate my thoughts on the story in the spoiler thread. Having said that, I absolutely loved the backstory of Tau Volantis, the SCAF, the fleet, etc. Very interesting stuff, and some genuinely creepy and disturbing scenarios when listening to the recordings and reading the text logs. But all in all, I really liked the story. It's good.

Weapons Crafing: FUCKING GLORIOUS. This is one of the most fun parts of this game. Holy crap, I loved it. This must be standard in every game forever from now on cause it's so fucking cool.

Zero G: This never gets old.

Cons:

Combat: The biggest issue is just... combat structure. There are great moments where they can do really creepy stuff, but they end up just throwing too many enemies at you. I never had a problem, but it becomes grating if you play for a long while at a time. Luckily, once you've hit about the halfway point, the weapons are so fucking awesome that you're just tearing through these motherfuckers like an avenging angel. But for the next one, I think a less is more approach would do wonders.

Final Verdict:

Awesome game, definitely worth the wait. I love it. Well done, Visceral.

The crafting system is very intimidating at first. I dismantled everything I had, bunch a bunch of random shit, and ended up crafting a revolver which I am liking very much.

Can I put a revolver on top of a revolver, or is this stupid/impossible?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've read somewhere that Ration Seals are bugged, can someone confirm this?

It seems that if you buy an Epic kit for 60 ration seals you'll get the same contents of a Ultra kit which goes for just 30 seals.

I have more than 700 Ration Seals and I don't want to waste then (playing on the PS3 by the way).

I don't if they are glitched but I got two MK attachments. But I don't think you need to worry about wasting them though. The most expensive pack is only 60 seals. Give it a shot and see what you get.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
My girlfriend looked through the entire art book before I got to. Not a fan of the gross stuff, but she loves the ribbing. I showed her how the hud is in the game, and it blew her mind. She doesn't do much gaming beyond puzzle stuff and the occasional round of Skullgirls or Street Fighter, so she didn't want to actually play it. She seemed to really enjoy watching me, though. I see that as a testament to how effective the art direction and hud are. Dead Space is a beautiful game, and not just because of the excellent graphics.

I'm glad the saving symbol isn't too obtrusive, because the natural hud is honestly one of my favorite things about the game. I wish more games would adopt something similar.

But for the next one, I think a less is more approach would do wonders.

I totally agree, but they did less is more in the wrong places. Consider these:

1. Streamlined Ammo - it's not as much "ammo" as it is "reload amount", and in Dead Space 3 you are carrying way more ammo than you ever did in the previous games and you have no reason manage the resources
  2. Numerous, bullet sponge enemies - To compliment my first point, you have so much ammo to balance out just how many enemies are rushing you

As I mentioned before, Dead Space was great when you had to assess your survival. You had to manage those ammo types, improvise use of tools in combat, and create a playstyle with the limited ammo in your inventory. If you were going into a fight with like 10 plasma rounds, 2 clips of pulse rifle ammo, and 3 ripper blades then you had to assess your survival strategy. RE4 did this really well too.

I think that there should be fewer, more deadly enemies, fought in nonlinear environments. Also, the ambushes shouldn't be so telegraphed and redundant; less is more, when considering the tension of horror, right?

I totally agree, but they did less is more in the wrong places. Consider these:

1. Streamlined Ammo - it's not as much "ammo" as it is "reload amount", and in Dead Space 3 you are carrying way more ammo than you ever did in the previous games and you have no reason manage the resources
  2. Numerous, bullet sponge enemies - To compliment my first point, you have so much ammo to balance out just how many enemies are rushing you

As I mentioned before, Dead Space was great when you had to assess your survival. You had to manage those ammo types, improvise use of tools in combat, and create a playstyle with the limited ammo in your inventory. If you were going into a fight with like 10 plasma rounds, 2 clips of pulse rifle ammo, and 3 ripper blades then you had to assess your survival strategy. RE4 did this really well too.

I think that there should be fewer, more deadly enemies, fought in nonlinear environments. Also, the ambushes shouldn't be so telegraphed and redundant; less is more, when considering the tension of horror, right?

Agreed. Honestly, I never had a problem with ammo being so plentiful simply cause the game is so fun. I just love the horror aesthetic and story, even if the gameplay doesn't creep me out. But you shouldn't get so desensitized. I just want the enemy encounters to feel smarter not plentiful. The problem is that the enemies are telegraphed and redundant, you're absolutely right. I think the ammo and survival part is more subjective between us, I don't mind so much, but I can see why people would like that survival aspect more. There's more tension and horror (and apparently other modes in the game up the factor, like Classic or whatever).

Just too telegraphed. I didn't like that. I did like seeing the Twitchers again though. They came in a very creepy way (I spotted them twitching away a couple times before they actually came for me, and it was definitely creepy). More of that, please. I want my expectations toyed with when it comes to enemy encounters. Also, fighting
3 or 4 Regenerators at once? That's not cool.
There's no sense of danger when you're
fighting the Regenerators. The Hunter and Ubermorph have a sense of dread about them. The Regenerators don't, 1) cause you can never kill them at all (at least the Hunter died and the Ubermorph was trapped) and 2) you just avoid them and then you're done with them.

Bollocks

Because I have a lot of fun with the game, I popped DS2 back in. (I still need to finish that.)
Last save game was march 2011. All I remember was that I quit because I couldn't beat that one section, so I load up that save and behold I beat that section on the first try. I guess it's just one of those things where you need to take a break and when you come back you succeed at it.

Anyway, what I immediately noticed was that almost every object casts a dynamic shadow in DS2. Something that's totally missing from DS3. I mean you don't miss it but when you play DS2 you'll immediately notice. But on the plus site DS3's image quality is much better, much more crisp. I guess with the outdoor scenarios and stuff they couldn't push the consoles to do realtime shadows.
Also a minor bummer is that when my coop partner is aiming, his light cone doesn't affect my screen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Combat: The biggest issue is just... combat structure. There are great moments where they can do really creepy stuff, but they end up just throwing too many enemies at you. I never had a problem, but it becomes grating if you play for a long while at a time. Luckily, once you've hit about the halfway point, the weapons are so fucking awesome that you're just tearing through these motherfuckers like an avenging angel. But for the next one, I think a less is more approach would do wonders.

There are far too many times where I get pushed into a corner and necros are coming from the full 90 degree range. It just turns into a mosh pit. If I'm doing stasis and killing a few on one end, the enemies on the other are racing up, and it's just inevitable that I end up unable to move, covered in enemies.

KePoW

Banned
This is the first time I've looked at this thread, so I apologize if it's already been answered a lot. But what's the quick verdict on the PC version (technical values)?

Because I have a lot of fun with the game, I popped DS2 back in. (I still need to finish that.)
Last save game was march 2011. All I remember was that I quit because I couldn't beat that one section, so I load up that save and behold I beat that section on the first try. I guess it's just one of those things where you need to take a break and when you come back you succeed at it.

Anyway, what I immediately noticed was that almost every object casts a dynamic shadow in DS2. Something that's totally missing from DS3. I mean you don't miss it but when you play DS2 you'll immediately notice. But on the plus site DS3's image quality is much better, much more crisp. I guess with the outdoor scenarios and stuff they couldn't push the consoles to do realtime shadows.
Also a minor bummer is that when my coop partner is aiming, his light cone doesn't affect my screen.
yeah, I missed that. Would have been a nice option for PC users.

This is the first time I've looked at this thread, so I apologize if it's already been answered a lot. But what's the quick verdict on the PC version (technical values)?
Runs fine for me. I have a nvidia card, I'm not sure how it is with amd.

ironcreed

Banned
Ohhhh, so ration seals are in-game currency used to buy some of the DLC stuff?

I hadn't figured out what they were either. Guess I'll be spending that shit now.

Yeah, just bought a pack of resources for 30 so I could craft the Bolas Gun. Kind of funny being able to buy something with in-game currency and the option buy it with real money is right next to it, lol. I could not help but laugh, but again, at least it is not forced and these ration seals can be used.

Top Bottom