• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Just beat Impossible on a green run. Ch. 6, 14, and 18 are pretty rough given side missions and the late enemy additions.

Classic is probably the next to be tackled.

Grisby

Finished. I gotta say everything after ch 15-16 is a bit of a let down. Combat gets so hectic it's almost like you need another dude (heh). Visually the last 'area' is a bit of a letdown (The combat rooms are a bore, the 'other' deals look nice) and the story just kind of peters out. A shame that the end game is disappointing.

Overall I enjoyed it though. The first bits in space followed by the planet was some good stuff. The weapon crafting is fun and I liked a couple of the side missions. I do think this is the weakest entry though both in gameplay and story.

Dead Space 2 is still the game to beat. I feel everything gelled so well. The pace felt great and the story beats hit way harder (the steps, return to the 'ship',etc.). Set pieces were more exciting as well.

Congrats to Visceral for making an amazing set of games. The Dead Space series has to be one of the most polished trilogies on consoles. Most of the time the framerate was silky smooth and the image quality was great. Fun dismemberment and some high tension encounters made for some great times. I always felt uneased when playing this series.

P.S- I think Extraction also deserves a huge applause. That entry has the best story/characters of the series and the dismemberment deal translates nicely into lightgun form.

TLDR (of which I never do) Thanks Visceral! I'll be there day 1 for whatever you guys do next!

JaxJag

Banned
Yeah, overall the weakest Dead Space game, but still a pretty damn good game.

People been too hard on it, the co-op is a blast.

With that being said, I'm i suppose to sell the Peng? I know in the other game they were worth a lot, but when I was about to sell it this time, it didn't show me how much it was worth... so I didn't bother selling it.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Finished. I gotta say everything after ch 15-16 is a bit of a let down. Combat gets so hectic it's almost like you need another dude (heh). Visually the last 'area' is a bit of a letdown (The combat rooms are a bore, the 'other' deals look nice) and the story just kind of peters out. A shame that the end game is disappointing.

Overall I enjoyed it though. The first bits in space followed by the planet was some good stuff. The weapon crafting is fun and I liked a couple of the side missions. I do think this is the weakest entry though both in gameplay and story.

Dead Space 2 is still the game to beat. I feel everything gelled so well. The pace felt great and the story beats hit way harder (the steps, return to the 'ship',etc.). Set pieces were more exciting as well.

Congrats to Visceral for making an amazing set of games. The Dead Space series has to be one of the most polished trilogies on consoles. Most of the time the framerate was silky smooth and the image quality was great. Fun dismemberment and some high tension encounters made for some great times. I always felt uneased when playing this series.

P.S- I think Extraction also deserves a huge applause. That entry has the best story/characters of the series and the dismemberment deal translates nicely into lightgun form.

TLDR (of which I never do) Thanks Visceral! I'll be there day 1 for whatever you guys do next!

Thanks, Grisby! We really appreciate it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Yeah, just bought a pack of resources for 30 so I could craft the Bolas Gun. Kind of funny being able to buy something with in-game currency and the option buy it with real money is right next to it, lol. I could not help but laugh, but again, at least it is not forced and these ration seals can be used.

I don't know why that's funny. Not singling you out but this thread is full of people that are outrageously upset that microtransactions are available. But no one seems to notice that those transactions can be purchased with in game currency that is earned by playing the game.

It is not a crime to give people options. I am extremely grateful that games do this now. I'm a busy husband/father/coach that has NO issue at all in paying $3 to get a quick upgrade to make the game more enjoyable. And I'm sure the amount of customers that agree with me make it very worthwhile for the publisher to put these options in the game.

Back to playing now. Finally got a ripper engine. Good times

Mike M

Nick N
I'm on Chapter 11 and I think I just glitches out an enemy encounter? I needed to collect three items from this huge chamber, I was climbing down a ladder while the music was building to a crescendo, and the vent directly behind me exploded. I never got off the ladder, but instead went straight back up, turned around, and there was nothing. Huge pile of ammo and healing items, still nothing. Collected all the items, still nothing. Left the room without incident.

big_z

My game glitched and now I have 3 Probe Guns, 1 of which I can upgrade o_o.

Yeah I had that happen too. Saved after collecting the probe pieces then quit. Came back and did the armory side quest and got a second probe gun in the process. It lets me upgrade it but the upgrades won't stick.

Plissken

Finished my first play through tonight on Hard difficulty. Took me just over 16 hours to complete, doing every side missions and looking in every nook and cranny for loot. After all the internet hemming and hawing about micro-transactions and bro-op, neither aspect "ruined" the game at all. I managed to have +2/+2 upgrades in all 8 slots in both my guns, had my suit fully upgraded, and had made 7-8 unique guns with just the loot you find while playing. There were only a couple scenes where it was a bit odd having Carver around, nothing that pulled me out of the experience.

- Art design was fantastic. From beginning to end everything looked amazing, and there were some jaw dropping vistas throughout. Each new area was distinct from the last, and they all looked as "realistic" as a made up sci-fi universe can be.
- Sound was great as is always the case with the Dead Space games. Ice creaking and cracking, enemies screaming and groaning, the sounds of weapons and enemies in the dead of space; everything sounded spot on. In addition, the score this time felt a bit more "epic" than the previous games, I will be buying the soundtrack when it is available.
- Weapon crafting and part gathering worked well together. I was always excited to find a new part or blueprint to see what I could craft. I ended up using a variety of weapons during my play through, each one different than the last.
- The story. People seemed down on the story and the ending, but I found both to be quite well done, especially if you read and listen to all the extra info found in the side missions. While it doesn't explain everything, it gives enough closure to this story that I feel they could move on in the universe, while leaving enough questions to make further games.

Dislikes:
- Repetition in the side missions. I can sort of understand the similar areas, since the facilities would be pre-fabricated military installations and rooms would repeat. But the gameplay got to be too similar in all of them; enter area, fight tons of enemies on the way to a loot chest, wait for chest to appear while fighting tons more enemies. Hopefully the co-op side missions are different.
- Enemies popped up behind you with no warning ALL THE TIME. Eventually it got to the point that in every encounter, I would stasis one enemy, then turn around to deal with the other guy that ALWAYS appeared. Wasn't scary or difficult, just kind of a cheap way to damage you.
- Too many med packs/ammo drops. I never felt like I would run out of ammo or get close to death, with one or two exceptions in side missions. I look forward to playing Pure Survival mode though, sounds like that'll be more challenging.

Overall I think it's an amazing game, and I'd like to give the guys and gals at Visceral a big thanks for creating one of mu favorite new IP's of this generation. Looking forward to playing through again co-op with a friend, and then again with the other extra modes.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm on Chapter 11 and I think I just glitches out an enemy encounter? I needed to collect three items from this huge chamber, I was climbing down a ladder while the music was building to a crescendo, and the vent directly behind me exploded. I never got off the ladder, but instead went straight back up, turned around, and there was nothing. Huge pile of ammo and healing items, still nothing. Collected all the items, still nothing. Left the room without incident.

Same thing happened to me. Pretty sure it's just a "conditioning" scare. You know; hear the vent explode, look for enemies and them when nothing comes you are tense the entire time you are in the room.

These 200 year old doors sound so much like necros, I turn to check behind me every time one closes. At one point I walked into a room, a necro popped out of the ceiling and the music ramped up. I shot it, the music died down. The same thing happened again. Then when I moved away from the door and it closed, I swear the music ramped up again for a second and I was sure there was a necro behind me, but it was just the door.

Ravidrath

Silly questions: are there any suits that don't look boring that aren't DLC?

I mean, all the DLC ones I have right now look stupid. I just miss the old Dead Space style of plated metal suits.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This is the first time I've looked at this thread, so I apologize if it's already been answered a lot. But what's the quick verdict on the PC version (technical values)?

Great, but Origin is a bit of a wasteland. Make sure you have someone to play co-op with (check the list in the op), otherwise you'll miss a good chunk of the game. It's been hit or miss so far with drop in/drop out for me.

RoKKeR

Just beat the game, played it the entire way through in co-op with my friend and we both loved it. I'll do a full write up but the game was fantastic and I was pleased with the ending.

Great work Visceral! Extremely well done, and congrats to the team on a wonderful game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Plan on playing this solo...am I missing out on anything plot related by not playing co-op (no spoilers obviously)?

Some collectibles but nothing really central to the main story. It's definitely worth playing co-op though, particularly as Carver. You see things that the person playing Issac doesn't see (there's a really great sequence (spoiler for the Archeology co-op mission)
in an elevator that I'm not quite sure actually happened. I wasn't friends with the person playing Issac and Origin doesn't let you send texts to non-friends so I didn't get a chance to ask him what he was seeing. I don't think we were in the elevator for five minutes, but....maybe? :)
).

As I said, I never really interpreted what happened the way S1kkZ did, but I meant I can understand some people having that viewpoint, even if I agree that it's probably the most uncharitable. Your post forces me to realize that I also didn't pay as much attention to all dimensions of the plot as I should have. I never really thought of Ellie's actions as being out of love for Isaac. The story really didn't engage me X_X

Sorry, didn't mean to sound accusatory - I like Ellie as a character, and I just don't think she would use either Issac (or
Norton for that matter).

Some collectibles but nothing really central to the main story. It's definitely worth playing co-op though, particularly as Carver. You see things that the person playing Issac doesn't see (there's a really great sequence (spoiler for the Archeology co-op mission)
in an elevator that I'm not quite sure actually happened. I wasn't friends with the person playing Issac and Origin doesn't let you send texts to non-friends so I didn't get a chance to ask him what he was seeing. I don't think we were in the elevator for five minutes, but....maybe? :)
).

I think what happened for that mission
is that both of the players are actually seeing the same things while playing the mission, but in the story context Carver was imagining the whole mission while they both were still in the elevator.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I think what happened for that mission
is that both of the players are actually seeing the same things while playing the mission, but in the story context Carver was imagining the whole mission while they both were still in the elevator.

This is probably what happened. I really want to play through co-op as Issac as well to see how the Carver missions look like from his end. I also like that there's at least one cut-scene that is totally different from Carver's end -
the falling truck sequence where Issac hits the door from the inside - Carver ends up climbing over the truck from the outside and pulling the door open from that side
(wish there were more of these, actually).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm tempted to play through this again with a stopwatch so that I can time exactly how much of the game is spent going up and down elevators. It's gotta be more then 2 hours.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'll echo what everyone else is saying about the ridiculous number of enemies they throw at you. It kills any strategy to the encounters, as it's inevitable that I'll end up in a corner with enemies dropping out of vents over my head. I just pull out my rifle with plasma core and diffusion tip and hit R2 until everyone is dead. It works, but it's incredibly boring.

I still love the game, and it does a lot of things incredibly well. It just has enough issues to make it my least favorite entry in the series. The weakest Dead Space is still a hell of a good game, though.

XAL

Anyone have the game freeze or crash on start up and/or when alt+tabbing?

When I do get it to run I can have everything on max @ 180fps...it's just getting it to pass the main menu is my main problem right now.

I have several other origin games and a shitton of steam games, never had anything like this happen with any other game.

I've tried re-installing/repairing the game files and all of the usual troubleshooting jazz (driver settings, gpu default settings) but nothing has worked so far.

Finished the game just now.

I don't know what to think.
  • First two chapters. Atrocious. Clunky shootbang. But OK let's give it a shot. I love Dead Space so I'll persevere.
  • Chapters up until Tau Volantis: YES. This is what I want. Proper space exploration, creepy ships, somewhat of a desolated feel. Big Space flythrough areas, thank you Visceral. Good stuff. Didn't really understand the need for side missions but OK.
  • Tau Volantis: :(

I hated it. Environments looked pretty good. Side missions were cookie cutter and copy-paste. That Tower one was actually pretty interesting, the rest pretty much was "destroy combat room to get loot chest". Speaking of these combat rooms, the amount of enemies they throw at you in these is sometimes ridiculous. Too bad because they could've done so much more with the optional missions story wise. Rappel (up) sections can die in a fire. Insta-gib sections like these are going to be my bane in Hardcore, I can already tell.
  • Combat in general was manageable due to the weapon crafting, which was properly executed. Props to you guys for coming up with it, even if I was skeptical before launch it worked pretty good. Combat design though, not something I loved. You can basically see the monster closets and the game isn't shy of throwing a shitload of enemies at you, sometimes at ridiculous levels. They could've toned it down, not just because it's hard (you can blaze through this game even on harder difficulties with the right weapons) but because I actually got tired of fighting another score of enemies so soon after each other. I feel the game was catered too much to co-op in this regard, just look at stuff like the drill room and other arena areas. Also the human enemies added nothing to the gameplay, they were just annoying.
  • Enemy design was pretty standard, I missed the variety. You can only shoot so much pickaxe guys in one game. Oh wait! Now we get the black ones....
    To be fair the enemies introduced at the end of the game are pretty cool to fight. Too bad the boss fights in this game are basically 3 different encounters, one of which is recycled 3 times in the game. I wish there was a boss fight in zero gravity or in space.
  • Story wise I found this game to be a mixed bag. The character of Ellie gets pretty butchered aesthetically and in the script with a hamfisted love-triangle but whatever. It's Carver I have the most problems with. Unlikeable as hell, shows up at the weirdest moments in single-player, it just doesn't make sense. In the final area you have to traverse some dangerous place to get somewhere, and when you are finally there he's already there waiting for you. WTF couldn't you give me a lift on your magic shuttle? Then at the end of the game he acts like we went through some serious journey together, while all I've seen of him is standing still in a cutscene. Serious moment of disbelief, but maybe my opinion will change after playing the co-op. The ending is a cop-out and I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. I do love the final areas and enemies of the game aesthetically, interesting to see what they can come up with next.
  • I played on PS3. The game is technically competent and very well put together, something other devs could learn from you guys at Visceral. Monkey Pants and codecow, you should be proud of this because it's not very common to see a polished product like this. The feel of AAAA haha ;)
I will platinum it, so I'll persevere...

TL;DR

palestinianchicken.gif

Glad this series is still great for me. I thought they lost the plot, based on a few comments here.

I found the game as polished as ever, the new snow environments brilliantly utilised, and the portions before the snow planet reminiscent of DS1's exploration, but more fun.

I don't mind the new unified ammo system; it actually speeds the game up for me since I don't have to keep juggling my ammo.

The new weapon upgrade system is interesting, but a bit of a hassle. Feels like my progress of upgrading is really slow, and at Ch 11, I've yet to find a way to make my favorite Force Gun. I've been sticking to the same two weapons since the beginning (WHY ONLY TWO??!). Oh well....

It's great that
Ellie
is in this game too, but lol at the blatant
fanservice. Not that I'm complaining.... :p

And finally being able to use your weapons
against humans is a nice and hilarious bonus. Just hope there's not too much of that TPS mechanic..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thoughts: I'm in chapter...11 or 12 I think. Chapter 8 was atrocious. Chapter 1 and 2 I actually didn't mind so much, which confused me.

Side missions are atrocious. Those skinny little enemies are atrocious.

Other than that, kinda seems ok...

edit: Expanding on what I was saying, it's kind of like the game feels pretty nice generally but has random spikes of wtfisthisshit. The debris field section of the game was genuinely new and interesting, with the faux open exploration aspect (let down by poor quest rewards and asset reuse) that really seemed like it was pushing the franchise away from other franchises and into new territory.

But...goddam. This game mimics some of RE6's weakest sections! The enemy variety is poor, the set piece design is poor, wave combat is poor, shooting
humans
reveals how poor the shooting is, there's so little set piece variety in both pacing and predictability...

Goddam. What happened? Why is this a 6/10?

def sim

Dead Space 2 has been S-ranked. Severed is short and some of the acting, particularly the unitologists, were very poor! Oh well, on to the third game.

Thoughts: I'm in chapter...11 or 12 I think. Chapter 8 was atrocious. Chapter 1 and 2 I actually didn't mind so much, which confused me.

edit: Expanding on what I was saying, it's kind of like the game feels pretty nice generally but has random spikes of wtfisthisshit. The debris field section of the game was genuinely new and interesting, with the faux open exploration aspect (let down by poor quest rewards and asset reuse) that really seemed like it was pushing the franchise away from other franchises and into new territory.

But...goddam. This game mimics some of RE6's weakest sections! The enemy variety is poor, the set piece design is poor, wave combat is poor, shooting
humans
reveals how poor the shooting is, there's so little set piece variety in both pacing and predictability...

The game has already peaked at that point.

If you think the set piece design and wave combat is poor (which is true imo) you're not going to like the remaining chapters....

I feel the same way as you btw. Fuckin' planet I wanted more space! /crybaby

Moff

finished it on hard after 16 hours, did all the sids quests too

all in all a very very enjoable game that offers everything a dead space fan could desire. there are even some parts I would consider some of the best few hours of the entire franchise (the dead fleet for instance).

the upgrade system ist really amazing, seriously, this alone makes dead space really good. dead space has always been about being an engineer and assemblings weapons from tool to make a weapon on your bunch is just awesome. the new circuits system makes a new game + even better. well done visceral.

the human enemies are not that good, combat afaisnt them is just not as satisfying as necromorphs, but hell, of the 2000 enemies I killed maybe 50 to 100 were humans, the rest was zombies or necros. Its really more of a welcome distraction than a nuisance, and certainly not a gamebreaker.

I even liked the story in the end, and especially after I replayed the first quarter of the game.

well done viseral

some things sucked though, the save system is really terrible. not that the stations are the pinnacle of save systems, but they would have been much better here.
I didnt dig the universal ammo either, and some coop leftovers left some weird situations in the single player campaign.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel similar to Kev. I don't think Dead Space 3 is a bad game, but I do think it's a horribly misdirected game that plays to none of the series strengths, originality, and potential, and instead panders to all the worst and weakest points.

Like, combat in Dead Space isn't bad. It's satisfying to explode heads and slice limbs. But all of this is relative to the usual slower pacing and intensity of each each encounter. Isaac isn't twitchy or athletic, because Dead Space isn't Gears. Every encounter should remind me a bit like Resident Evil: I don't so much fumble with the controls as wrestle with the limitations to make sure I take down the enemy as fast as possible.

Dead Space 3 tries to play to the strength of combat that Dead Space never had. Throwing waves of enemies at me over and over and over again, spawning from the front, the side, and behind, simply exhausts the basic combat system and exposes its weaknesses. The responsiveness and feedback of a fast shooter never existed in the series and it doesn't here, leaving encounters either too easy and cheaply exploitable (bottleneck and spray), or just really clumsy (hello reoccurring boss fight). And in both cases very repetitive.

I'll elaborate on it more when I finish the game (and I'm doing a dual video review with my colleague), but the game just feels hopelessly misdirected, like it's shedding its identity in favour of someone else's. And it's all probably made worse by how obvious it is that a lot of effort, time, and production went in the game. It doesn't feel like a cheap cash-in or anything. Just...wrong.

I feel similar to Kev. I don't think Dead Space 3 is a bad game, but I do think it's a horribly misdirected game that plays to none of the series strengths, originality, and potential, and instead panders to all the worst and weakest points.

Good example of this for me personally was upgrading the AIR module on my RIG. I was like fuck yeah upgrade it to the max because if we get more of these large zero-g space areas to explore it could be very useful...

...then we never got those areas in the game afterwards. Why bother putting something like Air in an upgrade path when you never need to upgrade it at all. At least in Dead Space 1 it felt useful to upgrade it.

Y2Kev

Good example of this for me personally was upgrading the AIR module on my RIG. I was like fuck yeah upgrade it to the max because if we get more of these large zero-g space areas to explore it could be very useful...

...then we never got those areas in the game afterwards. Why bother putting something like Air in an upgrade path when you never need to upgrade it at all. At least in Dead Space 1 it felt useful to upgrade it.

lol didnt even think of that

gamers trolled

AOC83

Banned

To be fair, you didn´t really need the extra air in DS 1 and 2 either.

def sim

There were almost always multiple oxygen stations nearby or you just had more than enough time in the previous two games. It has been consistently a waste, for sure, though it sounds like it is even more so in the third because there are, practically, no space walk sections.

sTeLioSco

Banned

i never upgrade it cause definitely isnt going to be a need for it.
no area in the trilogy needed upgraded air to pass it lol!! (only for trophies/achievements i guess)

you think that they will put an area that without upgrading your air you cant pass?

we are talking about a modern ea game ffs......
noone will say "if they didn't upgraded their air they will just restart the game" lol

There were almost always multiple oxygen stations nearby or you just had more than enough time in the previous two games. It has been consistently a waste, for sure, though it sounds like it is even more so in the third because there are, practically, no space walk sections.

its an ea game not fallout 2.... just shoot decent and upgrade hitpoints damage etc.

you cant do a choice that stops the player for continuing the game....seeing the "air upgrade" i lol everytime.i dare ea to put an area that you need to upgrade it.
if it passes the crying of their focus groups that needed to go back in the game and upgrade it,gimme a call!

razorman

The visuals are absolutely breathtaking. What graphics engine does Visceral use, an internal one? I frequently find myself just stopping and panning the camera around to take in the views.

lol didnt even think of that

gamers trolled

Does it really matter? Air pretty much became extra useless after landing on Tau because you will NEVER use it again. Only interesting to get the Fully Rigged trophy but nothing else. It's not the fact that AIR is a necessary upgrade or anything, it's the fact that it won't come into play for half of the game. Same for zero-G sections, fuck that. *Amount of times you encounter zero-G after landing spoiler*
TWO times after landing on Tau Volantis.

Instead we get some body temperature gimmick but nothing is really done with it outside of one chapter.

Ghazi

Well I guess I'm going to call Amazon now. I still have not received my pre-order bonus and credit, that's lame. Anybody else having this issue too?

ironcreed

Banned
I don't know why that's funny. Not singling you out but this thread is full of people that are outrageously upset that microtransactions are available. But no one seems to notice that those transactions can be purchased with in game currency that is earned by playing the game.

It is not a crime to give people options. I am extremely grateful that games do this now. I'm a busy husband/father/coach that has NO issue at all in paying $3 to get a quick upgrade to make the game more enjoyable. And I'm sure the amount of customers that agree with me make it very worthwhile for the publisher to put these options in the game.

Back to playing now. Finally got a ripper engine. Good times

I am grateful for the in-game currency as well, and no, there is certainly nothing wrong with options. Still, the option to buy resources with real money right next to being able to buy them with in-game currency is humorous to me. But like I said, at least it is there and I am happy that this great game is not designed around in your face, forced micro-transactions. It is really about as transparent as it can possibly be, which is a good thing, considering they are there.

Y2Kev

So I'm testing how exploitable the combat is. In some rooms, you can trigger spawn points and then retreat into the former hallway to pick the bad guys off. They can't reach outside a certain patrollable area. But then if you go too far, they literally reset. So I had two guys drop from vents (OMG SURPRISE). I stepped through a doorway...and they actually went back up into the vents.

Lima

So I'm testing how exploitable the combat is. In some rooms, you can trigger spawn points and then retreat into the former hallway to pick the bad guys off. They can't reach outside a certain patrollable area. But then if you go too far, they literally reset. So I had two guys drop from vents (OMG SURPRISE). I stepped through a doorway...and they actually went back up into the vents.

Yeah it works with most doors and elevators.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

You can vent bottleneck too. That section of the game where you take the lift down to the sealed off section, and
fight the fast moving skinny dudes, you can get their attention, leave the room, close the door, and they'll slowly trickle through a single ceiling vent. Slow enough for you to take each one out individually as he falls to the ground.

Top Bottom